On 6 June 2013, "Ex-Examiner" posted an archive of saved message threads from the then-recently closed PolygraphPlace.com Bulletin Board's private forum for persons working in the polygraph field. This archive, including over 1,300 message threads dating from 2002-2013, provides a wealth of insight into the attitudes, concerns, biases, and characters of some prominent figures in the polygraph community. Unfortunately, the format in which the archive was posted (Mozilla Archive File Format) has been deprecated, which makes direct use of the archive problematic. AntiPolygraph.org has rendered these message threads into a more accessible format. A slightly edited version of "Ex-Examiner's" introductory note to the archive is reproduced below, followed by reverse chronologically-ordered direct links to the message index pages.
The discussions on the Polygraph Place examiners' forum offer a rare glimpse into a closed community and could serve as rich source material for a master's thesis or doctoral dissertation on in-group/out-group psychology.
A number of prominent figures in the polygraph community participated in these discussions. Screen names are indicated in parentheses where they substantially differ from real names:
- Gordon H. Barland, a former researcher at the Department of Defense Polygraph Institute
- Patrick Coffey (thenolieguy4u), a private polygrapher from northern California
- Barry Cushman (Barry C), current (May 2013) president of the American Polygraph Association
- Keith Gaines (liedoctor), an instructor at the National Center for Credibility Assessment (who is not a doctor)
- Ed Gelb (egelb), a past president of the American Polygraph Association
- Mark Handler (Mad Dog), a prolific writer on polygraph topics
- Ralph Hilliard (detector), owner of PolygraphPlace.com
- Donald Krapohl (dkrapohl), second-in-charge at the National Center for Credibility Assessment and editor of the American Polygraph Association's journal
- Dan Mangan, a private polygrapher who is skeptical of the scientific basis for polygraph. In the end he was banned from the forum.
- J.B. McCloughan, a polygraph examiner with the Michigan State Police and currently a director of the American Polygraph Association
- Paul Menges (CHSBOY), a former instructor at the National Center for Credibility Assessment (deceased)
- Raymond Nelson (rnelson), a private polygraph examiner who now works for the Lafayette Instrument Company
- Jack L. Ogilvie, a senior examiner with the Phoenix Police Department and a forum moderator
- Lou Rovner, a forum moderator and one of the few polygraph examiners with a Ph.D. (though you would never guess from his writing)
- Jim Sackett (sackett), a polygraph examiner with the Las Vegas Metropolitan P.D.
- Dan Sosnowski (Dan S), owner of a private polygraph school and past president of the American Polygraph Association
- Ted Todd, a polygraph examiner for the Contra Costa County Prosecutor
- Milton O. Webb (skipwebb), Army CID polygrapher and past president of the American Polygraph Association
- Got a call from Marisa Taylor of McClatchy Newspapers: Animated discussion of the investigative journalist's reporting on polygraph
- Comparison questions: Does this sound like the discourse of a scientific practice?
- We must have a mole: A long thread that begins with paranoia and moves on to the American Polygraph Association's investigation of the Marston Polygraph Academy
- Questions on validated techniques: Scientific discussion?
- Countermeasures: A discussion of how to deal with polygraph countermeasures
- Honts: In which admission of Professor Charles R. Honts, a polygraph researcher, to the forum is discussed; forum members voted against allowing him to join the board.
Discussions about George Maschke and/or AntiPolygraph.org
(a frequent topic; these are just highlights):
- GM's Smoke & Mirrors
- George Mashe
- GM Translates for Al Qaeda?
- Georges Wasteland
- GEORGE MASCHKE; Ready, Aim, Fire !!!!!!
- George Maschke arrested last night
- Maschke's Website
- George Maschke lives in a world of make-believe friends
Discussions about Doug Williams:
Polygraph Place Bulletin Board Private Forum
This archive comprises 33 message board index pages, each with navigable links to some 40 message threads. Many links within these pages refer back to the Polygraph Place bulletin board, which is no longer online, so use your browser's back arrow to navigate back as necessary.
- 25 December 2012 - 20 May 2013
- 19 August 2012 - 21 December 2012
- 8 March 2012 - 14 August 2012
- 20 June 2011 - 6 March 2012
- 21 September 2010 - 15 June 2011
- 22 March 2010 - 21 September 2010
- 20 November 2009 - 10 March 2010
- 28 July 2009 - 17 November 2009
- 29 April 2009 - 26 July 2009
- 26 February 2009 - 28 April 2009
- 3 December 2008 - 25 February 2009
- 17 October 2008 - 3 December 2009
- 28 August 2008 - 16 October 2008
- 22 June 2008 - 27 August 2008
- 2 May 2008 - 20 June 2008
- 24 March 2008 - 2 May 2008
- 27 February 2008 - 23 March 2008
- 13 February 2008 - 27 February 2008
- 15 January 2008 - 10 February 2008
- 13 December 2007 - 11 January 2008
- 14 October 2007 - 12 December 2007
- 31 August 2007 - 11 October 2007
- 29 May 2007 - 30 August 2007
- 27 November 2006 - 29 May 2007
- 10 August 2006 - 26 November 2006
- 21 March 2006 - 9 August 2006
- 28 October 2005 - 13 March 2006
- 21 July 2005 - 24 October 2005
- 7 February 2005 - 15 July 2005
- 12 August 2004 - 3 February 2005
- 8 January 2004 - 11 August 2004
- 9 April 2003 - 30 December 2003
- 9 October 2002 - 14 March 2003