Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Polygraph Place Bulletin Board Private Forum (Read 95900 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box getrealalready
Senior User

Re: Polygraph Place Bulletin Board Private Forum
Reply #60 - Aug 23rd, 2013 at 12:48am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Pailryder,

Can you specifically site an example of something that Mr. Williams has said recently that you believe he could not have said on this site anytime since the creation of this website? If so, can you site an example of where he was prevented or warned about posting such a thing?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Reply #61 - Aug 23rd, 2013 at 7:54pm
getrealalready

I find irony in the fact that Doug and George settled their differences at this particular time when Doug's for profit business is receiving such scrutiny.   I am sure you have followed this board long enough to recall that Doug once posted a glowing review of his own book, under a different name, of course, and once offered a fist fight, with a promise to whip  George's ass, as a way to resolve their issues.

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #62 - Aug 23rd, 2013 at 9:09pm
Pailryder,

That which you say is true; in times past Mr. Williams has made inappropriate comments on this board and may well have slandered and/or threatened Dr. Maschke.  

That, however, is irrelevant to the point that I was making...which is...I see no evidence whatsoever, that at any time since the inception of AntiPolygraph.org that Dr. Maschke, even while being attacked, would have taken any steps to prevent the posting of anything that Mr. Williams now says on this board.

I believe that is the case because, although that which Mr. Williams says may well be promotional and/or self serving, it is largely true and accurate with regards to his efforts to debunk polygraphy and to warn and assist those who may be victims of this rather crude quackery.
« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2013 at 9:26pm by getrealalready »  

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #63 - Aug 24th, 2013 at 11:15am
getrealalready

I take your point.  Dr Maschke has never, to my knowledge, prevented anyone on the anti side from posting whatever they wished and I did not intend to imply otherwise.  But Dr Maschke has always, it seems to me, taken pride in maintaining the site as source of free information for all, and thus avoided the charge, often made against other sites, that they are all about self promotion and money. 

I challenge you to review my postings and cite specific examples where you feel I have engaged in quackery.
« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2013 at 12:04pm by pailryder »  

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #64 - Aug 25th, 2013 at 12:40am
Pailryder,

My reference to quackery has nothing to do with your posts but with the practice of polygraphy (lie detection) which is nothing but quackery in your hands or any other...

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #65 - Aug 25th, 2013 at 12:08pm
getrealalready

So, I've practiced crude quackery for more than thirty years, but my posts don't quack?  How could that be?

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #66 - Aug 25th, 2013 at 1:42pm
Pailryder,

Your words on this board may be true or false, relevant or irrelevant, meaningful or not, etc., but in the end they are just words. Your (or anybody else's) practice of lie detection and the representation of same as a valid diagnostic test is unadulterated quackery.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #67 - Aug 26th, 2013 at 11:16am
getrealalready

Are you arguing that all polygraph techniques are quackery?  Do you evaluate David Lykken's GKT as quackery as well?
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2013 at 11:32am by pailryder »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #68 - Aug 26th, 2013 at 11:53am
Pailryder,

With respect to Getrealalready's last post, note that Lykken's Guilty Knowledge Test (GKT) is not a lie detection test.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #69 - Aug 27th, 2013 at 5:30pm
Dr Maschke

With respect to my last post, I did not refer to Lykken's GKT as a lie detection technique, but simply as a polygraph technique.  So, Dr Maschke perhaps you would be so kind as to my answer, is Lykken's GKT a valid scientific test or is it too quackery?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #70 - Aug 27th, 2013 at 5:53pm
Although it's not without weaknesses and vulnerabilities, I don't think the GKT is quackery.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ex Member
God Member

Reply #71 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 5:19am
I think "Peak of Tension" is a more apt name. "Guilty Knowledge" is an implication; POT more correctly describes some shift in psychological stress, the root cause of which cannot be precisely determined.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Drew Richardson
Especially Senior User

Reply #72 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 11:48am
A Peak of Tension (POT) test is a poorly designed concealed information test (CIT).  Unlike David Lykken's Guilty Knowledge Test (GKT) format, the POT involves QUESTION presentation in KNOWN (to the examinee) SEQUENCES, which renders the individual test items NOT independent of one another and therefore having the test results not being amenable to the normal statistical analysis of a properly designed CIT.

A GKT can be poorly constructed and confounded as well by asking questions as opposed to presenting subject areas and alternative answers which are repeated by the examinee.  If a GKT is constructed to involve questions answered with alternative answers repeated by the examinee, in effect, one has created and confounded a CIT with a lie detection test (something which has no validity in its own right and is not made better by confusing/confounding with a CIT).

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #73 - Jul 1st, 2018 at 7:12pm
The Mozilla Archive File Format (MAFF) used by Ex-Examiner to archive the Polygraph Place private forum has been deprecated, that is, it is no longer supported in Mozilla Firefox. Therefore, AntiPolygraph.org is undertaking a project to make this archive readable with any browser. The process is labor intensive and will take time. For now, you can review the most recent 80 message threads here:

https://antipolygraph.org/articles/article-055.shtml

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #74 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 9:32am
At this time, a little more than half of the Polygraph Place Bulletin Board Private Forum has been made available for direct browsing. 18 of the 33 index pages, comprising 720 message threads from 13 February 2008 to 20 May 2013 are now available for review:

https://antipolygraph.org/articles/article-055.shtml

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Polygraph Place Bulletin Board Private Forum

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X