Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Sticky Topic Cleve Backster, CIA Polygraphs, and Psychic Plants (Read 40413 times)
George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Cleve Backster, CIA Polygraphs, and Psychic Plants
Feb 10th, 2002 at 12:08am
Print Post  

Grover Cleveland Backster, Jr.

Cleve Backster, who instituted the Central Intelligence Agency's polygraph program in 1948, also has some curious ideas about plants (in particular, that they can perceive human thoughts and intentions), as the following article on Skepdic.com explains:

http://skepdic.com/plants.html

Backster seems to believe that there is a conspiracy in the scientific community to discredit his revolutionary discovery that plants can read human thought. But scientists have been unable to reproduce his results under controlled conditions.

Backster also originated the numerical scoring of polygraph charts, devised the widely used polygraph Zone Comparison "Test," and founded the Backster School of Lie Detection in San Diego, possibly the oldest private polygraph school still in operation. But as it turns out, lie detection has little more scientific basis than do Backster's cockamamie notions about plant perception. (For a thorough debunking of the lie detector, see AntiPolygraph.org's free e-book, The Lie Behind the Lie Detector (1 mb PDF).
« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2008 at 9:42am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: maschke@antipolygraph.org
Wire: @georgemaschke
Threema: S7TK4RXR
PGP Public Key: 316A947C
PGP Public Key (offline): 2BF4374B
Postal mail: Van Trigtstraat 53, 2597 VX The Hague, The Netherlands
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Cleve Backster Interviews
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2006 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
The News for the Soul radio program, which currently offers for sale via its website a "Spoonbending Kit," also makes available at no cost some interviews with Cleve Backster, the father of the CIA polygraph program, which Agency he only mentions in passing, preferring to speak instead on the mind-reading abilities of plants and other organisms. The following streaming broadcasts are in RealPlayer format:

http://www.newsforthesoul.com/ram/show52.ram

http://www.newsforthesoul.com/ram/cleve2.ram

http://www.newsforthesoul.com/ram/cleve-april2006.ram

http://www.newsforthesoul.com/ram/cleve-sept2007.ram

« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2008 at 6:21pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

des fitzgerald

Re: Cleve Backster, CIA Polygraphs, and Psychic Plants
Reply #2 - Sep 25th, 2011 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
The ouijha board is supposed to tell the truth from your subconscious mind - also the penfulum - but is it possible to quiz one's own subconscious USING A LIE DETECTOR??? Surely you would get the truth????? Hope you don't consider this a silly question.
YOURS FAITHFULLY, DES, DUBLIN, SUN.SEPT.25, 2011.
EMAIL: des48fitz@gmail.com

IP Logged

Ben

Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2012 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
While some had difficulty replicating Backster's experiments, it's probably for the wrong reasons. I have been able to replicate them, finding plants respond to human emotion, as part of an honors thesis I did at UC Berkeley. The investigators that are cited on skepdic actually didn't follow Backster's protocols, and thus introduced other confounds that they didn't consider. So their bad science makes it look like Backster's findings were invalid.

I've had to take a bit of a hiatus on this line of research while working on my PhD, but I'm planning to collect more data in order to publish.

Not that it influences the truth of anything, but Backster is a kind, well-meaning fellow. Obviously here you're invested in disproving the validity of polygraph use, which I don't have enough background in to dispute. I also believe one reason why he doesn't talk about his work with the CIA is he's not supposed to.

That notwithstanding, the plant research is indeed valid, and hopefully there will be some more data coming out in the next year or two.

IP Logged

George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Cleve Backster, R.I.P.
Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2013 at 9:22am
Print Post  
On Monday, 1 July 2013, Cleve Backster died at the age of 89 following a long illness:

https://antipolygraph.org/blog/2013/07/08/cleve-backster-r-i-p/

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Ex Member
God Member

Reply #5 - Jul 8th, 2013 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
He was quite a guy. RIP Cleve.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo