Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) CBP Polygraph (Read 9838 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Michelle6788

CBP Polygraph
Nov 27th, 2019 at 6:36pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I've taken seven polygraphs in my life. All of them for LEO positions. I have passed all polygraphs except the two I have taken with CBP (3 years apart). All of the examiners use the same software and technique. They all use the same physical equipment. However, some how, miraculously, I fail CBP and pass all others without even a question of deception? The CBP examiner claims I lied about "serious crimes" and "drug usage". Both times with CBP I was accused of lying about those same questions but never when asked those questions with other departments. What could CBP possibly be doing differently that they show readings there and no one else does?

Most importantly, can someone knowledgeable explain this strange behavior for me please-

During my recent CBP polygraph the examiner asked me seven series of questions. After each series they released the cuff and then came over to me and completely adjusted the pneumograph tubes to different areas. At one point both tubes were on top of each other very high up by my breasts. Why would they keep moving the tubes after each series of questions then say I failed? They also told me to not answer the questions verbally at one point and to only "nod my head yes or no". They said they would be watching me and could see the subtle movements but in me peripheral vision I could see every time that they were only looking at the monitor and not me. What's up with that? 

Then finally, at one point the lead of one of the pneumograph tubes "broke" and I was told to sit outside while they fixed it. This happened on both of my CBP polys only. Both times they moved the tubes constantly and something "broke" at some point. What the heck?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Doug Williams
Especially Senior User

Re: CBP Polygraph
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2019 at 12:07am
The company that administers polygraph exams for the CBP charges $2200 per test so they have a vested interest in failing as many people as they possibly can simply because the more people they fail, the more tests they run to fill the openings. It’s simple math.

I have been fighting the thugs and charlatans in the polygraph industry for forty years.  I tell about my crusade against the insidious Orwellian polygraph industry in my book FALSE CONFESSIONS - THE TRUE STORY OF DOUG WILLIAMS' CRUSADE AGAINST THE ORWELLIAN POLYGRAPH INDUSTRY.  Please visit my website POLYGRAPH.COM and follow me on TWITTER @DougWilliams_PG

Doug Williams
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dan Mangan
God Member

Reply #2 - Nov 28th, 2019 at 1:07am
Michelle, 

Allow me to interject some perspective...

Polygraph "testing," at its very best, is a crapshoot. 

The result is nothing more than the examiner's semi-educated guess.

As for the examiner's antics and accusations that occur in the polygraph suite, it's all theater -- in my opinion.

I've been a member of the American Polygraph Association since 2004, and have tried repeatedly to bring enlightenment and reason to the APA's political machine. All to little avail. 

As Doug Williams has so succinctly pointed out, polygraph "testing" can be largely about money. I agree. 

But that's just my opinion, based on 15+ years of experience and observation.

As an aside, it's very interesting... Whenever I post on this site I soon get a flurry of inquiries requesting special "help." 

I find the timing to be most queer.

Thus far, not one such needy individual has been able to pass my authenticity test.

Strange, no?

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2019 at 4:55am
Thank you for the responses. I get the money factor Doug but why would they fail me twice? Clearly they see my commitment if I came back to endure more of this a second time. Wouldn't that prove to them I have nothing to hide even more? What are your thoughts on the constant movement of the breathing tubes after every set of questions? How could the results be usable if the equipment was always moved.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #4 - Nov 28th, 2019 at 8:47am
Quote:
I've taken seven polygraphs in my life. All of them for LEO positions. I have passed all polygraphs except the two I have taken with CBP (3 years apart). All of the examiners use the same software and technique. They all use the same physical equipment. However, some how, miraculously, I fail CBP and pass all others without even a question of deception? The CBP examiner claims I lied about "serious crimes" and "drug usage". Both times with CBP I was accused of lying about those same questions but never when asked those questions with other departments. What could CBP possibly be doing differently that they show readings there and no one else does?

CBP polygraph operators may be under pressure to produce pass rates that track with the organizational average of about 1:3. A CBP polygraph operator who passed more than this ratio might face unwelcome scrutiny.

In addition, with respect to your second CBP polygraph, the safest thing for your polygraph operator to do was to confirm the result of your prior CBP polygraph.

Note that while CBP does hire contractors to perform polygraph interrogations, who are handsomely paid for conducting this pseudoscientific ritual, not all CBP polygraph operators are contractors. Many are federal employees.

Quote:
Most importantly, can someone knowledgeable explain this strange behavior for me please-

During my recent CBP polygraph the examiner asked me seven series of questions. After each series they released the cuff and then came over to me and completely adjusted the pneumograph tubes to different areas. At one point both tubes were on top of each other very high up by my breasts. Why would they keep moving the tubes after each series of questions then say I failed?

It is not normal to have to adjust the pneumograph tubes after each chart collection, and I don't know what could account for this. You'll find the federal polygraph school's instructions for placement of pneumograph tubes at pages 4-6 of the document, Attachment and Placement of Polygraph Instrument Recording Sensors.

Quote:
They also told me to not answer the questions verbally at one point and to only "nod my head yes or no". They said they would be watching me and could see the subtle movements but in me peripheral vision I could see every time that they were only looking at the monitor and not me. What's up with that?

This is the so-called "Silent Answer Test" that is sometimes employed when the polygraph operator suspects that the subject is employing polygraph countermeasures. We address it at p. 165 of the 5th edition of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector:

Quote:
Silent Answer Test

In  this  technique  (Matte, 1996),  which  is  apparently  intended  to catch  examinees  off  guard,  the  examinee  is  told  to  remain  silent during the “in test” phase and to answer the questions in his/her head. Just as in normal polygraph examinations in which one answers out loud, the way to pass the Silent Answer Test is produce stronger  reactions  to  the  “control”  questions  than  to  the  “relevant” questions. Don’t do anything differently.

You also ask:

Quote:
Then finally, at one point the lead of one of the pneumograph tubes "broke" and I was told to sit outside while they fixed it. This happened on both of my CBP polys only. Both times they moved the tubes constantly and something "broke" at some point. What the heck?

It is unusual for a pneumograph tube (most likely the bead chain) to break during any particular polygraph session. It is even more strange that this occurred during both of your CBP polygraph interrogations.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Nov 28th, 2019 at 7:38pm
Thank you very, very much. The only "countermeasures" I used was measured breathing to try to allieve my anxiety. I always do that to relax myself to help get through these exams. Screw them. I bet they moved the tubes to illicit a fail response even though I was passing.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box el mal arte
New User

Reply #6 - Nov 29th, 2019 at 7:22am
Quote:
Thank you very, very much. The only "countermeasures" I used was measured breathing to try to allieve my anxiety. I always do that to relax myself to help get through these exams. Screw them. I bet they moved the tubes to illicit a fail response even though I was passing.

The idea of telling you to nod your head while answering could also have nefarious purposes. Even with the "silent answer test," instructing you to make physical movements when answering questions is not supported in any polygraph doctrine that I am familiar with. 

But your attitude is correct. With the exception of Baltimore City PD, it's tough to think of a less desirable place to work in law enforcement than CBP. I'd suggest that you focus on improving your CV and apply with agencies that offer more intellectually stimulating work. Preferably, those that do not force applicants to submit to this degrading pseudoscientific ritual. 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Reply #7 - Dec 3rd, 2019 at 6:28am
Got mine in [redacted] days, can ypu hive me a heads upf of the questions that will be asked?

Thanks 

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #8 - Dec 3rd, 2019 at 6:32am
CBP's pre-employment polygraph screening technique is called the Test for Espionage, Sabotage, and Corruption (TES-C). You'll find documentation, including the questions asked, here:

https://antipolygraph.org/blog/2018/06/22/u-s-customs-and-border-protection-poly...

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box justhere

Reply #9 - Dec 24th, 2019 at 9:35am
So that's what the nodding is for. I took the poly awhile back and for a few charts, the test administrator had me do the same thing.  I was wondering what the purpose of it was. The thing is, I didn't do any countermeasures.  I answered everything honestly. 

After the last few charts, I was told that I'm failing on one of the question. I have a very clean background. I'm hoping for a chance to re-test, but I highly doubt that I'll get it. The examiner just said, that they'll send my file to the OPR and they'll decide. 

I have a few questions and hopefully someone could answer. 

I know I'll have to wait two years to take it again. After two years, do they discard the prior results and the file? I'm asking that because I told them a few things that are insignificant, but in the end, it was what I kept getting questioned about.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Dec 24th, 2019 at 9:38am
I forget to add.  Is it standard for all the examiners to ask if we're willing to come back for another test to everyone when they're told that they failed?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #11 - Dec 24th, 2019 at 10:28am
justhere,

I have seen nothing in CBP's polygraph policy documentation that suggests prior results and files are ever discarded.

I don't know whether it's standard for polygraph operators to ask the subject if (s)he is willing to come back for another one after telling him/her that he/she has failed, but it seems to be a common practice.

For reference, you'll find documentation of CBP's current polygraph practices here:

https://antipolygraph.org/read.shtml#TES-C

You'll also find a copy of the 2010 CBP polygraph unit's handbook, which predates the adoption of the TES-C screening format, as well as other CBP polygraph policy documentation, here:

https://antipolygraph.org/read.shtml#cbp

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Reply #12 - Dec 26th, 2019 at 12:12am
Thank you for the reply. I asked that because I'm trying to figure out how to go about it in a few years if I do decide to go through the process again. 

George W. Maschke wrote on Dec 24th, 2019 at 10:28am:
justhere,

I have seen nothing in CBP's polygraph policy documentation that suggests prior results and files are ever discarded.

I don't know whether it's standard for polygraph operators to ask the subject if (s)he is willing to come back for another one after telling him/her that he/she has failed, but it seems to be a common practice.

For reference, you'll find documentation of CBP's current polygraph practices here:

You'll also find a copy of the 2010 CBP polygraph unit's handbook, which predates the adoption of the TES-C screening format, as well as other CBP polygraph policy documentation, here:

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anotherguest

Reply #13 - Dec 26th, 2019 at 7:27am
I also failed a few months ago. I just read in a different thread from another poster, that he made no admission, regardless of how small they were.  I made a few insignificant admissions and it seemed like, that was the reason why failed me. I kept getting questioned about it afterwards.  If you all know what it was, you'd laugh. It was minor and was irrelevant, but being the honest person I am, I just threw it out there.  I didn't know. 

If I go and take it again, do you suggest I make those admissions again, or simply don't mention anything at all? Gracias!

George W. Maschke wrote on Dec 24th, 2019 at 10:28am:
justhere,

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #14 - Dec 26th, 2019 at 8:01am
anotherguest,

As you'll note at page 128 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, we advise everyone against applying for any federal position that requires a pre-employment polygraph "test."

I think one is better off having just one failed polygraph on one's record than two.

For those who choose to ignore this advice, while I think applicants for positions of public trust have an ethical duty to answer relevant questions truthfully, they are under no obligation to volunteer irrelevant information, and are wise not to do so.

Bear in mind, however, that anything you've previously told your CBP polygraph operator is now a matter of record.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

CBP Polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X