Normal Topic Just had my CBP poly (Read 9464 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jacob D. Worthington III

Just had my CBP poly
Feb 6th, 2020 at 4:25pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Well, the process was a joke.  I had zero faith in the system and the examiner so it came back as a no decision exam.  I only made it through two different question groups.  George's book and directed lie guide for CPB were on the money for everything I experienced down to the number they made me choose for the stim test.  Oh yea, I was totally a screamer or whatever terminology the dude used.   

A couple of weird things happened though. 

1.) I was shifted from directed lie to control question test after the first bank of questions.  Not sure if they thought I was using countermeasure.  (not reacting because you know the test is bogus isnt a countermeasure IMO..but whatever)

2.) I was given the silent answer test from the start.  I had just finished the stim test and he had me stare at some point on the wall and slightly nod yes or no to each of the questions.   

3.) My breathing was normal, so I feel like he was trying to throw me by tightening the cuff even more.  For the first test, it was comfortable, but for the breakout tests they really clamped that shit down and my hand turned purple.  I ignored it and continued breathing like a normal human being.   

3.) He kept telling me I was spiking on the control questions and that was an indication that of not having enough integrity for the CBP.  He kept stressing that I would have no movement across the board which I know is crap.  Does that mean I more than likely had zero movement across the needles and he wanted to rattle me?   

From the others I've talked to, it seems like a new normal to bring you in, get you through  a couple rounds of questioning, deem you no decision and then bring you back another day. Huge waste of time if you ask me, but now I know for sure that the test is a sca.

At the end, it really took every ounce of my fiber and self control to not say "I thought my body was unable to lie without giving me away, how could this test be inconclusive?"  And that statement right there is why I know the test is complete and utter bullshit.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Just had my CBP poly
Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2020 at 7:38pm
Jacob,

Thank you for sharing your experience. Regarding your points:

1. I do not know what might prompt a polygraph operator to switch from a directed-lie to a probable-lie format. I don't see how doing that would be an effective counter-countermeasure.

2. I haven't heard of the silent answer technique being used from the very beginning of a polygraph "test," either.

3. A "Back to Basics" presentation used as part of the NCCA countermeasures course includes a suggestion (at slide 22) to overinflate the blood pressure cuff to punish examinees who breath more slowly than the polygraph operator would like. Perhaps this is what happened in your case, but I wouldn't necessarily assume this to be the case, especially in light of the next point.

4. Your polygraph operator's telling you that you were spiking on the "control" questions may have been an attempt to sensitize you to them, which would have the expected effect of helping you to pass.

Note that if your polygraph was performed by a contractor, the contractor receives more money when an applicant is brought back for a second session (or if the applicant is disqualified and a new applicant must be polygraphed to fill the opening). This may create perverse incentives.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jacob D. Worthington III

Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2020 at 8:55pm
LOL, so I just got back from my retest on my polygraph and was accused of countermeasures.  They even gave me the yes test towards the end.   

So like before, I know the magic voodoo box isn't real.  And to be honest, I didn't really care about getting hired at CBP, I just wanted to have other options as Im in the process for a few local police departments.   

He got really really pissed off that I passed a local police polygraph.  He asked me if I had taken any other polygraphs and I said yea, I took one for a police department outside of Minneapolis and he started raging about how he doesnt care if I passed that, this is the only one that counts.   

So he had me do the exact same process as last time.  I stared at a spot on the wall and had to nod my head yes or no.  He kept commending me on being able to sit still.   

So, we get through the first two portions and on the third he starts to get really angry.  He goes to the yes test, and then the test is cut and we move immediately into post test.   

He immediately said I failed all portions of the polygraph and Im withholding some serious information.  I played it cool, politely disagreed and informed them that  I was being truthful and forthcoming, I also tactfully implied that no amount of badgering or accusations would get me to admit otherwise.   

They then accused me of mental countermeasures.  He said something along the lines of "what were you thinking about?"  "there is evidence you were trying to change your physiology."   I politely replied that I was only focused on answering the questions that were being asked of me.  He then stated that he knew I was manipulating the data as my heartbeat was abnormally high during certain questions which points to abnormal physiology and countermeasures.   

At this point, I knew I was toast and asked them point blank.   
"Sir, can you tell me what questions my heartbeat increased for, because I can say with certainty that the integrity questions you asked me about whether I'm a good person or not did cause me some discontent as my self esteem isn't always the highest."   He responded with a "you tell me what questions, you were manipulating the test."   In which I then responded "No, sir.  In fact I am confused.  You told me at the beginning of the test that the machine was infallible and could detect lies regardless of how much anyone tried to cheat the test."  He looked at me stunned at that point.  I then followed up with, "you said my heartbeat was off the charts for certain questions.  From what you explained to me, that happens when you are lying.  What reason would I have to speed up my heartbeat for any of the questions, both questions about crimes and integrity questions, knowing that it would cost me employment with the CBP?"   This is when he got really really angry with me.  The funny part, is that he had my eqip and knew I graduated Law School and specialized in litigation.  He didn't say a word, then stood up, dismissed me and didnt even shake my had to thank me for coming in.  Just opened to the door and told me how to get out of the building.   

So I knew I failed, and I put him on the defensive in his own interrogation which offered me a slight amount of vindication.  But then it got me wondering when I left.....What would they do if you came in there to test, and you were an American Polygraph Association certified polygrapher?  That would make for a very very interesting session.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous Deputy
New User

Reply #3 - Mar 5th, 2020 at 5:34am
Wow. Powerful, powerful story. Huge props to you sir.

IP Logged

Just had my CBP poly

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X