Normal Topic I passed my polygraph, but failed my background. ANY ADVICE?? (Read 2499 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Christopher Jonesey
New User

I passed my polygraph, but failed my background. ANY ADVICE??
Mar 5th, 2020 at 5:46pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Any ADVISE???

I had a question regarding the polygraph. So before the polygraph, I was asked numerous questions that are in the PHS packet, but I also realized that most of the questions that I was asked during the pre-polygraph exam weren’t in the PHS packet such as have you ever urinated in public, have you ever accidentally took a pen from work, have you ever been a middle man, etc. I asked the polygraph examiner if some of these questions were going to be held accountable since they do not match my PHS due to the fact that they are not asked in the packet, however, the examiner stated that those questions he was asking were used as a technique to calm me and release all my anxiety, sort of when you admit/confess to some thing and feel better about it after. In other words, so once I would start the polygraph, I wouldn’t be as nervous and failed.

I also asked him if that was going to make me look bad such as if other departments were going to look at those pre questions and make their decision based off of those and he said they were only for him to look at. What I didn’t understand was he told me those were just for him to view, but yet, when I would say yes to some of those questions I see him type stuff down in his laptop. He also said those questions  were being asked so he would know which questions to ask during the polygraph exam.... for some reason I thought he was lying to me and he caught on to that because he said “I’m not trying to lie to you or trick you, etc, etc I’m just trying to help you pass I like to give candidates the chance to pass, and some fail because they didn’t say some things because they were scared, embarrassed, etc”

The questions were like “have you ever smoked weed? Yes. No more than how many times ? 6 times ?”

So my question is next time I do a polygraph for a different department, do I have to remember the same exact things I told this polygraph examiner ? Like how am I supposed to remember ? Will I end up failing my background new use of this ? I passed my polygraph by the way and once I passed, I met with my background investigator the following week to review my PHS packet again and he read to me a highlighted paragraph that the polygraph examiner wrote about me such as “chris lives with his three roommates and he graduated from San Diego state, etc, etc.” he never brought up like “oh so you smoked weed six times, urinated in public once, etc” so I’m just wondering if I need to say the same thing In every pre polygraph exam? 
Another thing that was odd to me was I failed a question during the polygraph , but he let me take it again and asked me what was wrong, so I took the question over three times and I passed it. My BI didn’t mention that part also.. so I don’t know if the polygraph examiner actually mentioned those answers that I gave him or not? It’s pretty stressing 

So a few months ago I failed my background. I got an email saying,
       “you fail to meet the minimum department standards in one or more of the job dimensions for peace officers.”

This was in mid October of this year. Now, in early June of 2019, I was detained for drunk in public for a few hours and I was released with no citation. So my guess is that’s why I failed my background ? What I don’t understand is that they actually let me go through each step just to tell me I didn’t meet the minimum standards ? What I’m trying to figure out is why didn’t they disqualify me from the get go? For example, I took the written test in January of this year, so this was before the drunk in public incident. After, I was on the employment list for a few months until about August and then I was contacted if I was interested in an extra help position for a juvenile correctional officer. In order to even go through the process, the first step was to meet with a background investigator and review your PHS packet with him/her and also go through a quick interview. If we did good on that we would move on to the next step which is the polygraph... (which I passed as well). So when I first met with my background investigator, we reviewed my PHS and he saw that I was detained early this year in June. So why didn’t he just DQ me right then and there ? Perhaps, could it been a bad reference ? When I met with him after I passed my polygraph, we went over my PHS packet once again, and he also read a paragraph to me of what the polygraph examiner wrote about me. After, my Bi has told me he sent letters to all my references and old employers. Three weeks later, I received that email. So my question is, was I DQ’d because of how recent that incident occurred ? I tried contacting my BI several times and I even left him a few voicemails and he wouldn’t get back to me.

« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2020 at 7:09am by Christopher Jonesey »  

IP Logged

I passed my polygraph, but failed my background. ANY ADVICE??

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X