Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) American Polygraph Association Elections: Race for president-elect pits Daniel Mangan against Patrick O'Burke (Read 104688 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dan Mangan
God Member

Re: American Polygraph Association Elections: Race for president-elect pits Daniel Mangan against Patrick O'Burke
Reply #195 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 2:14am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
As reported in the newly released March/April 2016 APA Magazine, current APA president and longtime polygraph establishment politico Walt Goodson's suggestion to effectively disenfranchise the vast majority of APA members has been soundly rebuked.

Of his slap down, Goodson admits:

"As I mentioned in my last [column's] message, the current election process has been called into question by a few of our members due to its limited capacity to offer candidates an opportunity to share their platforms beyond a 500-word candidate statement and a photo. ... After the publication of that message, I received considerable support for the current electronic election process. Moreover, informal discussions with APA board members during the Winter Board Meeting revealed unanimous backing for the current process. It is very clear to me that access to the polls is most important to us."

Elections are fast approaching. Let the games begin.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ex Member
God Member

Re: American Polygraph Association Elections: Race for president-elect pits Daniel Mangan against Patrick O'Burke
Reply #196 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 4:27pm
Dan,
What are the detailed requirements to run for APA president elect?

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #197 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 9:51pm
Ark, the requirements are minimal: one must be a full member of the APA.

The more candidates for president-elect there are, the greater my chances of winning.

In my opinion, the good ol' boys want a two-man race.

That said, I would not be surprised if certain nominees for APA president-elect were "discouraged" from running by establishment politicos. 

Injecting a slate of straw candidates into the mix would be an interesting experiment.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #198 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 12:27am
Is a university degree required?

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #199 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 12:51am
Dunno. Let's look into it. The by-laws are readily available on www.polygraph.org, the same folk who claimed 98.6% accuracy for fifteen (15) years -- ten (10) of them after the devastating NAS wake-up call. 

As for a university degree, I'm not sure. At the last APA national seminar, the cool kids in charge foisted an ObamaCare-like massive redo of much of the terms, conditions and language of the association's constitution. So, nothing would surprise me.

But let's move on. 

Maybe one (or more) of your APA-member harem could run for president-elect. I'd love to see a wide field of races, religions and genders throw their hats in the ring for all offices. 

The APA political machine has been whitebread WASP for far too long.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #200 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 5:16pm
Dan, I did mention it to two members who I know personally and they acted like I was trying to get them to kiss their mother-in-laws.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #201 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 5:45pm
I wonder if such sentiments could be swayed by a financial incentive...

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #202 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 6:57pm
Dan, if you are looking to bring some international diversity to the APA, you many consider Mr. Enrique Gimeno from Spain. I can vouch for his knowledge and professionalism. I believe he is a full member.

http://www.poligrafo.us/index.html

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #203 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 7:17pm
Maybe someone will nominate him for president elect.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #204 - May 4th, 2016 at 4:38pm
Dan,
How are your election efforts coming along?

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #205 - May 4th, 2016 at 7:47pm
Ark, I'm having second thoughts on running.   

I fear that my platform of a test-taker bill of rights, realistic research vis-a-vis a countermeasure challenge series, and equal opportunity for APA members is simply a bridge too far.

Last year, when the politicos who run the APA decided to shitcan the organization's time-honored goal "to serve the cause of truth with integrity, objectivity and fairness to all persons," they really tipped their hand.

In my opinion, the "new, improved" APA is no longer primarily about truth, as it was in the days of Backster. Now, the APA seems to be dedicated mainly to sustaining the polygraph indu$try. 

Truth -- especially the truth about the "test" -- be damned.

I have come to accept the fact that in life, sometimes (perhaps all too often) the bastards win.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Evan S
Senior User

Reply #206 - May 4th, 2016 at 8:28pm
Dan:  Take the high ground and quit the damned APA.

What good are they and how does membership help your business?

So that you can put it on your business card ("Full Member, American Polygraph Association")

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #207 - May 4th, 2016 at 9:41pm
What got you so discouraged Dan? You normally have much more fire in the belly than this. Very recent events have shown that a brash, persistent and determined outsider can unexpectedly topple the ivory towers if he gets the message out.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #208 - May 5th, 2016 at 12:00am
An APA tribal elder -- someone for whom I have the utmost respect -- met with me and laid out a most convincing case as to why my efforts at reform will remain futile.

Here's the takeaway: The polygraph profession is mainly about money. Understandably, everyone wants to protect their own rice bowl.

As for curtailing polygraph fraud, abuse and victimization...not many practitioners care much at all, at least from what I've seen over the past 11+ years.

What matters most to the APA, it seems, is sustaining polygraph's commercial viability.

Given that my reforms would have a negative impact on indu$try economics, it's easy to see that amassing enough votes to win the office of president-elect is a most daunting task.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #209 - May 5th, 2016 at 12:36am
Most industry organizations are profit focused; hard not to be in a capitalist infrastructure. Pure altruism is usually not very cost effective, otherwise we'd have fresh baked bread every morning. But, ethics plays in the hearts of most non-sociopaths. Perhaps another more tactful approach may open doors?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
American Polygraph Association Elections: Race for president-elect pits Daniel Mangan against Patrick O'Burke

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X