Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Ironic Humor in American Polygraph Association Crapshoot Challenge Coin (Read 26209 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Ironic Humor in American Polygraph Association Crapshoot Challenge Coin
Nov 8th, 2008 at 1:44pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Here on AntiPolygraph.org, we have often likened polygraphy to a crapshoot, for example in the following poster (click here to see all our posters):

Ironically, it turns out that the American Polygraph Association also chose a crapshoot motif in designing a "challenge coin" for its 2006 annual seminar in Las Vegas, Nevada. The image below is from the cover of the APA magazine:

How appropriate! Of course, when polygraphers roll the dice, they're playing with someone else's future.
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2008 at 2:03pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Qengho

Re: Ironic Humor in American Polygraph Association Crapshoot Challenge Coin
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 2:16pm
Also, the dice on the coin are crooked. The numbers on opposite sides of a legitimate die add up to seven, but on the bottom die you can see a six and a one. Subliminal message?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 4:58pm
Qengho,

That's an astute observation! Polygraph operators have a tradition of cheating at cards (pretending to divine what card an examinee drew from a gimmicked deck in an attempt to convince the examinee of the polygraph's powers), so perhaps it's fitting that they put false dice on their challenge coin.

Smiley

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Phillip F Queeg
New User

Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 9:23pm
Do you really think they made a conscious decision to use those particular numbers on the dice, or is it more likely that it was done by the company who made the coins?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 10:02pm
Phillip F Queeg wrote on Nov 8th, 2008 at 9:23pm:
Do you really think they made a conscious decision to use those particular numbers on the dice, or is it more likely that it was done by the company who made the coins?

There is no way of knowing. Still, however it happened, it's very fitting...

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #5 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 10:26pm
I think the APA is responsible for the design of its own challenge coin.

Smiley

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #6 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 12:27am
I have to chuckle each time I see their motto, "Dedicated to Truth."

Try posting a true story on their message board that is not flattering to the polygraph.  They are so dedicated to truth they will delete the post and ban you in no time at all.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #7 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 4:03am
Sarge, are you a member of APA because it doesn't look like non-members can post at all . If you cant post, How did you get banned?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #8 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 6:08am

Then there are boards like "The Polygraph Place" that won't allow any criticism of the polygraph.  If you do criticize the polygraph, you are called a "ranter" and dispatched. 

The real test of an argument is not being afraid of criticism.  They don't want the facts to come out.  They want to keep people ignorant, and to   blindly believe in the accuracy of their "black box".

TC
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2008 at 6:28am by T.M. Cullen »  

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #9 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 10:20am
Phillip F Queeg wrote on Nov 9th, 2008 at 4:03am:
Sarge, are you a member of APA because it doesn't look like non-members can post at all . If you cant post, How did you get banned?

What makes you think I was banned from their web site?

If a poster at PolygraphPlace.com questions the accuracy of the polygraph they are banned and their posts are deleted.  It is not an uncommon occurrence.  I never said it happened to me.

Didn't the APA web site itself formerly allow non-members to post on their message board?  Since they have the following posted on their site under "news": 
Quote:
Various Forums now available in the Private Member Section in APA News Headline
Did you know that there are now private forums available in the private member section?  Current topics include general discussion, starting a business, countermeasures, testifying and pcsot.&

That would certainly seem to confirm that there used to be public and private forums.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #10 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 11:56am
Sarge when you said "Try posting a true story on their message board that is not flattering to the polygraph.  They are so dedicated to truth they will delete the post and ban you in no time at all."  wasn't everyone talking about APA?   That's why I thought you were talking about and APA forum. Then you change and start talkiing about Polygraphplace.com. Then you you go back to talking about APA website and say.  "That would certainly seem to confirm that there used to be public and private forums."

I don't know if they had another kind of board in the past. So, were you just guessing about APA having a Public Posting board and banning people?

On your comment about wiki's I couldn't find the origional post when I started writing this one but I think that George said the post was vandalized which made it sound like someone was breaking the rules. I was just trying to say that since changing wiki's is allowed by anyone then vandalized probably isn't a good term because it accusses someone of doing something wrong.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #11 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 1:04pm
To the best of my knowledge and recollection, the American Polygraph Association has never had a message board open to the general public. Some years back, they had a message board that was discontinued, but I believe that like the present one, it was for members only.

The PolygraphPlace.com forum is pretty much the only polygrapher-operated polygraph discussion forum, and it is indeed heavily censored. Polite, on-topic posts offering critical views of polygraphy are indeed deleted and the posters banned. I was banned, and so was Dr. Richardson. I think it's clear that polygraphers do not want to see open, honest, public discussion of their practices. Understandably so, considering that polygraphy's survival depends on widespread public ignorance of such.

The APA is not "dedicated to truth." It is dedicated to protecting its members' bottom line. That's why they countenance a past-president and life member fraudulently passing himself off as a Ph.D., why alleged fraud by an APA-accredited polygraph school got swept under the rug, and why the APA considers a member's bearing false witness against me during a polygraph examination recorded for evidentiary purposes to be none of its business.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

New User

Reply #12 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 2:56pm
So you are saying that when sarge said "Try posting a true story on their message board that is not flattering to the polygraph.  They are so dedicated to truth they will delete the post and ban you in no time at all."  while he was making  fun at the APA coin that said "Dedicated to Truth, he wasn't telling the truth either and he was just trying to shift my question to the other bulletin board to avoid admitting that he didn't tell the truth about the APA website?

If you don't like polygrapers and don't say nice things about them, like accussing them of cheating at cards and lying, why would you expect them to say nice things about you?

I mean I get it that you are against lie detectors and they are for them, but can't you try to make your point wuthout getting mad or trying to misleed people?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Reply #13 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 4:45pm
Mr Queeg

Read the posts for which Sancho Panza was banned and decide for yourself if this board is really open to free uncensored discussion, or just to the views of one side.

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

New User

Reply #14 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 5:19pm
Pail rider

Why is it when I ask George a question about what he said about vandalizing a wiki, sarge responds and when I ask sarge a question about the truth about what he said on APA banning people George answers?

IP Logged

Ironic Humor in American Polygraph Association Crapshoot Challenge Coin

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X