Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ethics Complaint Against Edward I. Gelb (Read 74373 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Ethics Complaint Against Edward I. Gelb
May 9th, 2006 at 4:08pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Today I e-mailed the following ethics complaint to Donald Weinstein, chairperson of the American Polygraph Association's Ethics & Grievances committee and cc'd it to the board of directors of the California Association of Polygraph Examiners, of which Mr. Gelb is a member:

Quote:
9 June 2006

Hart Nibbrigkade 22
2597 XV The Hague
The Netherlands

maschke@antipolygraph.org

Mr. Donald Weinstein
Chairperson, Ethics & Grievance Committee
American Polygraph Association

directorthree@polygraph.org

Dear Mr. Weinstein:

I write to you in your capacity as chairperson of the American Polygraph Association (APA)’s Ethics & Grievance Committee to bring to your attention misconduct by Edward I. Gelb of Los Angeles, a past president of the APA, who I believe remains a member.

In marketing his polygraph services, Mr. Gelb holds himself out to the public as holding a Ph.D. degree in psychology. On his website (http://www.polygraphexpert.org) [sic, correct .com], Mr. Gelb styles himself, “Dr. Edward I. Gelb, Ph.D.” In 1997, he represented himself as a Ph.D. to the United States Supreme Court as a co-signer (http://truth.boisestate.edu/amicus/list.html) of the Committee of Concerned Social Scientists’ amicus brief (http://truth.boisestate.edu/amicus/brief.html) in U.S. v. Scheffer, where he is listed as “Ed Gelb, Ph.D.”

However, AntiPolygraph.org has assembled compelling evidence that Mr. Gelb never received a doctoral degree from any accredited university. The comprehensive Dissertation Abstracts database (the definitive worldwide collection of doctoral dissertations including over 1.6 million records dating back to 1861) includes no doctoral dissertation by an Edward Gelb.

AntiPolygraph.org has obtained a copy of Gelb’s resume (see attachment) that was included in court documents filed in a civil suit in 2002. Writing about himself in the third person, here is what Gelb says about his educational background: “Dr. Gelb was educated at the University of Southern California, LaSalle University and U.C.L.A.. He has been awarded a bachelor’s degree in political science, a master’s degree in psychology and a doctorate in psychology.”

Gelb doesn’t state where or when he earned which degree. Perhaps he wished the court to infer that he listed the universities in the same order that he listed his degrees and that he earned a bachelor’s degree at USC, a master’s degree at LaSalle, and a doctorate at UCLA. But this is certainly not the case. Had Gelb earned his Ph.D. at UCLA (or USC), his dissertation would surely be included in the Dissertation Abstracts database. That leaves LaSalle University. There is a legitimate institution of higher learning called LaSalle University in Philadelphia, but it awarded its first Ph.D. degree of any kind in 2002, years after Gelb began putting the letters “Ph.D.” after his name. Mr. Gelb did not earn a doctoral degree there.

The “LaSalle University” that awarded Gelb his “doctorate” is a defunct, unaccredited diploma mill in Mandeville, Louisiana that was owned and operated by one Thomas James Kirk, A.K.A. Thomas McPherson. In 1996, LaSalle was raided by the FBI, and in 1997 Kirk pled guilty to federal fraud charges.

On 2 May 2006, the city council of Long Beach, California voted to approve a $150,000 one-year, extensible contract with Mr. Gelb’s company, Intercept, Inc., to provide polygraph services to the Long Beach Police Department. Mr. Gelb’s misrepresentation of himself as a Ph.D. may have unduly influenced Long Beach officials’ decision making in awarding this contract. Mr. Gelb’s claim to academic honors he has not earned gives him an unfair competitive edge over those who do not fraudulently claim to have doctoral degrees and misleads the public.

I trust that you will promptly investigate this matter, and I look forward to receiving, in accordance with section 9.1.1.5 of the APA bylaws, notification from the General Chair “of whether disciplinary action was taken.”

Sincerely,

George W. Maschke
AntiPolygraph.org

PS: A copy of this complaint will be made available on AntiPolygraph.org.

Enclosure:
Resume of Edward I. Gelb

The letter of complaint, sent as a PDF attachment, may be downloaded here:

http://antipolygraph.org/documents/gelb-complaint-09-05-2006.pdf

The American Polygraph Association's response to this complaint, when received, will be posted here.
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2006 at 3:09pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Re: Ethics Complaint Against Edward I. Gelb
Reply #1 - May 9th, 2006 at 10:33pm
I have also sent to following e-mail to Long Beach mayor Beverly O'Neill and each member of the Long Beach City Council:

Quote:
Dear Mayor O'Neill and Long Beach City Council Members:

If a police applicant lied about his/her academic credentials, and was 
caught, would he/she be hired? I hope not.

Last Tuesday, May 2nd, the City Council voted to approve funding for a 
$150,000 one-year extensible contract with Intercept, Inc. 
(http://www.polygraphexpert.com) to provide polygraph services to the 
Police Department. The owner of this company, Edward I. Gelb, holds 
himself out to the public as a Ph.D. in marketing his polygraph services 
to clients, including the LBPD.

But Gelb is lying about his academic credentials. He never received a 
doctorate from any accredited university. Instead, he obtained his 
"Ph.D." from a mail-order diploma mill that years ago was shut down by 
the federal government. By representing himself as a Ph.D., he is 
committing a fraud against the public, including the taxpayers of Long 
Beach. For documentation, see:

http://antipolygraph.org/articles/article-036.shtml

It is supremely ironic that an academic fraud should be in charge of 
screening LBPD applicants for honesty and integrity.

Sincerely,

George W. Maschke
AntiPolygraph.org
Fax/Voice Mail: +1 206 984-4872
PGP Public Key: 0x74DE6533
AOL Messenger: GeorgeMaschke
Skype (Secure Internet Phone/Text Chat): georgemaschke

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Update: Ethics Complaint Against Edward I. Gelb
Reply #2 - May 27th, 2006 at 8:53am
To date, I have received no reply to my ethics complaint against Ed Gelb. In fact, Donald Weinstein, the chairperson of the American Polygraph Association's Ethics & Grievance committee, has not even acknowledged receipt of my complaint.

However, as of today, Gelb still styles himself a Ph.D. on his website:

http://www.polygraphexpert.com

The APA's ultimate action or lack of action on this complaint will be instructive. If the APA is unwilling to hold accountable one of its senior members who has falsely represented his academic credentials to the courts, to law enforcement agencies, and the public at large to boost his business, then the APA has no business talking about ethics.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #3 - May 27th, 2006 at 1:00pm
I'm sure the APA will be diligent in their investigation.  How could an organization with the motto "Dedicated to Truth" do otherwise?

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous ętes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #4 - May 30th, 2006 at 2:52pm
Indeed, should the APA fail to take disciplinary action against Mr. Gelb, it will in effect be saying "it's okay for APA members to wilfully misrepresent their academic credentials to the courts, to law enforcement agencies, and to the public at large." I don't see how any intellectually honest person could reconcile such a position with the APA's motto, "Dedicated to Truth."

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #5 - May 30th, 2006 at 4:38pm
George,

If they don't take action, then the motto will be, (DRUM ROLL PLEASE), wait for it, wait for it,

"Dedicated to truth, as we polygraphers see it"

Couldn't resist  Grin

Regards ...

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #6 - May 30th, 2006 at 8:20pm
If it's okay for a member of the American Polygraph Association to falsely pass himself off as a Ph.D., what other frauds are permissible?

May an APA member falsely claim to be an M.D.?

May an APA member falsely claim to be a former Army Green Beret/Navy SEAL?

May an APA member falsely claim to be a Medal of Honor recipient?

May an APA member falsely claim to have worked for the CIA/NSA/FBI or other federal agency?

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

APA: Bogus Ph.D. No Cause for Disciplinary Action
Reply #7 - Jun 14th, 2006 at 12:00pm
The American Polygraph Association (APA) has replied to my ethics complaint against Edward I. Gelb of Los Angeles. APA General Counsel Gordon L. Vaughan, in a letter dated 9 June 2006, writes that Gelb will face no disciplinary action for falsely holding himself out to the public as a Ph.D. Vaughan writes that "the APA does not attempt nor does it presume to govern the designation of titles or degrees conferred upon members."

As of the date of Vaughan's letter, the APA had apparently neither confirmed or disconfirmed the allegations in my complaint. However, Vaughan does report that the APA has requested that Gelb document his "Ph.D." degree. If he is unable to show that it is from an accredited institution, then the only sanction he will face is that the APA will not accept "advertisements, publications, or directory listings" that refer to him as a Ph.D. But as far as the APA is concerned, Gelb is free to continue deceiving the public.

The full text of the APA's reply follows:

Quote:
June 9, 2006

George W. Maschke
Hart Nibbrigkade 22
2597 XV The Hague
The Netherlands

Dear Mr. Maschke:

We are in receipt of your letter requesting a grievance investigation against Edward Gelb. In that letter, you state your belief that Mr. Gelb is falsely holding himself out as having earned a Ph.D. from an accredited university or institution, and request that this matter be investigated.1

Please be advised that the APA has adopted a resolution for dealing with problems of this sort:

"Be it resolved that, the American Polygraph Association does not endorse or recognize diplomas or degrees from post secondary courses of education not accredited by an accrediting body routinely accepted within the academic community or appropriate government entity at the time of the award.

The APA will not accept advertisements, publications or directory listings, which include a reference or title representing a diploma or degree from a post secondary course of education not so accredited.

The APA understands that in some cases, such as countries which do not have accrediting organizations, this position may be overly restrictive. Accordingly, a member may seek exception from this position by presentation to the APA Board of Directors, evidence supporting completion of academic achievement supporting the award of such diploma or degree that would be routinely accepted within the academic community.

The APA Board of Directors directs that should there be a question of whether a reference to a title or degree, [sic] a member may be required to produce evidence that their diploma or degree meets the requirements of this resolution before acceptance of any advertisement, publication or directory listing which includes a reference to such diploma or degree."

Consistent with the above resolution, the APA has requested that Mr. Gelb provide information on whether his Ph.D. meets the requirements of this resolution. If not, the APA will not list Mr. Gelb by his Ph.D. nor will it accept an advertisement or item for publication in any of its publications which references Mr. Gelb by his Ph.D. This step is in no way disciplinary nor intended to discredit Mr. Gelb, who has provided many years of dedicated service to the American Polygraph Association and the polygraph profession.

Beyond these measures, the APA does not attempt nor does it presume to govern the designation of titles or degrees conferred upon its members. No further action will be taken as to your grievance.

Sincerely,

[signed]

Gordon L. Vaughan
General Counsel
American Polygraph Association

cc: Terrence V. O'Malley, President
Donald Weinstein, Ethics and Grievance Chair
Milton O. Webb, Jr., Executive Director
John E. Consigli, Chairman

1  Your reputation as an opponent to polygraph is, of course, well known and, as such, in applying to an organization that promotes the science and profession of polygraph your agenda is likely personal and not an effort to further professionalism within the organization. Nevertheless, I address the issue raised in your grievance.

A scanned PDF file of the original two-page letter, on APA letterhead bearing the motto "DEDICATED TO TRUTH" may be downloaded here:

http://antipolygraph.org/documents/gelb-complaint-reply-09-06-2006.pdf

A couple observations on Vaughan's letter:

1) I do not allege that Gelb has explicitly stated that his "Ph.D." degree is from an accredited university or institution. Rather, through his resume provided to a U.S. court, his public representations, and his advertising of his polygraph services, Gelb has striven to create the false and misleading impression that he holds a legitimate Ph.D. degree.

2) As for Vaughan's footnote impugning my motivation for filing this complaint, I would think that an organization "dedicated to truth" should be happy to receive information on unethical conduct from any member of the public with knowledge thereof. Indeed, the APA website clearly states, "The Ethics and Grievance Committee receives and expeditiously, fairly and impartially investigates all allegations of misconduct against members of this Association." If this is true, then a complainant's status as a polygraph supporter or opponent should be completely irrelevant.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box underlyingtruth
Very Senior User

Re: APA: Bogus Ph.D. No Cause for Disciplinary Act
Reply #8 - Jun 14th, 2006 at 4:56pm
Quote:

2) As for Vaughan's footnote impugning my motivation for filing this complaint, I would think that an organization "dedicated to truth" should be happy to receive information on unethical conduct from any member of the public with knowledge thereof. Indeed, the APA website clearly states, "The Ethics and Grievance Committee receives and expeditiously, fairly and impartially investigates all allegations of misconduct against members of this Association." If this is true, then a complainant's status as a polygraph supporter or opponent should be completely irrelevant.

It is awful kind of them to go ahead and respond to your complaint, even though you are an opponent.  Apparently, only exponents of the polygraph can make legitimate complaints.  I wonder how many complaints they ignore completely?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #9 - Jun 14th, 2006 at 7:17pm
George, 

By there own admissions on the documents they fully intend to pull in ranks and support this phoney baloney PHD. So as I said  before it is now:

"Dedicated to Truth, As we see it !!!! "

What is especially grotesque is the loyalty they show to Gelb and his long and faithful service. There lack of inaction shows the true color of the APA. For BS Artists, of BS Artists.   

Regards ...

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box JunkMan
New User

Reply #10 - Jun 14th, 2006 at 7:27pm
I do not understand why folks who actaully hold credible degrees, that "MR" Gelb purports to having attained, do not hold him accountable themselves.

If I were a Medical Doctor I certainly would be angry having a phoney co-worker who hold fictitious paper. 
There are laws that protect US citizens in this regard. 

Why not with this issue?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #11 - Jun 15th, 2006 at 1:51pm
JunkMan,

Very few members of the American Polygraph Association -- and none of its directors -- hold Ph.D. degrees. I can think of four members who hold doctoral degrees: Gordon Barland, Louis Rovner, Frank Horvath, and Stuart Senter, who currently edits the APA journal -- all well-known figures in the polygraph community. I wonder what they think about the APA's decision that Gelb's fakery merits no disciplinary action?

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box JunkMan
New User

Reply #12 - Jun 15th, 2006 at 6:40pm
I guess every organization has it's problem child but for some reason or another has decided to put up with or ingnore the problem. Even worse, in many cases the problem child is rewarded. Strange phenomenon isn't it?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box digithead
Very Senior User

Reply #13 - Jun 15th, 2006 at 8:40pm
George,

I'm wondering what sort of result you hoping for from the APA? 

Certainly Gelb is a phony PhD, but no accreditation is needed to be a polygrapher. The APA may be the "accrediting" board for polygraphers but it by no means has any administrative or legal authority to revoke someone's ability to be a polygrapher. It merely provides a way of fooling consumers into thinking there is a true accrediting board. I could become a homeopathic doctor in mere minutes by filling out the "proper paperwork" and fool people into thinking that because I've been certified by a homeopathic governing board that I'm somehow practicing a viable alternative medicine rather than a dangerous pseudoscience.

If anything, Gelb should be sanctioned by the courts and other adminstrative bodies that he has testified in front of for perjury and/or false representation.

Unlike MDs, nurses, psychologists, and social workers who are licensed through the state, polygraphers do not have a true governing legal body which is enabled to revoke licenses or begin legal proceedings for fraud and misrepresentation.

Getting the APA to admit that one of their own is fraud will never happen. I still think the best course of action against this pseudoscience is to convince consumers (rather than practitioners) of this flapdoodle through research and science that it is a useless procedure that poses a tremendous risk to public safety.

In that regard, the NAS, Feinberg, yourself, Iacono, Furedy, Saxe, Crosse, and others are certainly providing enough evidence that the polygraph is useless. It's now time to challenge and convince the consumers of this junk that they need to stop using it because it causes more harm than good.

Trying to convince the APA that they're wrong is about as useful as talking to the taxman about poetry.

-digithead

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #14 - Jun 15th, 2006 at 9:59pm
digithead,

In view of the egregiousness of Gelb's unethical conduct, I think it would have been appropriate for the American Polygraph Association to expel him. As an alternative, it might have censured him and admonished him to cease and desist from falsely representing himself as a Ph.D. or face expulsion.

While the APA cannot revoke someone's ability to be a practicing polygrapher, it can set ethical standards for its membership. But it appears that the APA is unwilling to do so.

Despite the APA's unwillingness to take any disciplinary action against Mr. Gelb, I think the ethics complaint I filed has served a valuable purpose: that of showcasing the APA's fecklessness when it comes to setting ethical standards for its members. This is not something that the APA will be able to sweep under the rug. I'll be mentioning it to every journalist with whom I speak about polygraphy, and it will be prominently emphasized on AntiPolygraph.org for a long time to come, where it will be seen by potential purchasers of polygraph services.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Ethics Complaint Against Edward I. Gelb

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X