Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Drew Richardson Never an Actual FBI Polygraph Examiner? (Read 10416 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Paradiddle
Very Senior User

Re: Drew Richardson Never an Actual FBI Polygraph Examiner?
Reply #45 - Sep 27th, 2007 at 8:29pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Quote:
Paradiddle wrote on Sep 27th, 2007 at 2:42pm:
Again, you guys continue to avoid the original post regarding Drew Richardson's Alleged Phony FBI Examiner Expertise and Bloated Resume. Undecided The denial in this realm is staggering! i.e. Daddy drinks alcohol because he is happy.

Your original post has not been avoided. You suggested that Dr. Richardson has misrepresented his credentials. I addressed this allegation head-on in the very first reply to your post, citing verbatim Dr. Richardson's testimony before a U.S. Senate subcommittee and the National Academy of Sciences. In neither case did Dr. Richardson misrepresent his credentials.

Dr.  Richardson has also responded to Mr. Johnson's declaration and politely answered your mockingly phrased follow-up questions.

Despite much hyperventilation, you have made no showing that Dr. Richardson has ever misrepresented his credentials.

It is ironic that Mr. Richardson on a thread some years back bragged of coining the term "psycho-physiologist" (he can have the term anyway)---along with other allegedly pioneering aspects of polygraph research. Again, when I first read such, I remember thinking "wow"---a heavy hitter fed poly celeb from the DODPI camp. It wasn't long before many of the quiet examiners in the know began hearing credible rumors that Mr. Richardson was nothing more than a "temp worker" with no apparent integrity to even take all of his tests----tests that he has no doubt lampooned, but oddly enough never bothered to consider his duty---despite his assignment.  Drew, did you or did you not score a (barely) 70% passing grade while at DODPI? Please----regale us with your alleged harrowing close call with the basic polygraph school grade cut-offs for "minimum pass".
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2007 at 2:37pm by Paradiddle »  

Cheats and the Cheating Cheaters who try to Cheat us.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box digithead
Very Senior User

Reply #46 - Sep 27th, 2007 at 10:01pm
Mysterymeat wrote on Sep 27th, 2007 at 8:20pm:
Sargeant,

Wake up and smell the decade here buddy! It is not the pro-poly folks who are doing the slamming here! This web site was set up to do nothing more than to try to discredit polygraph and the people who work in the field. Just look at the players:

George Maschke:
His only REAL polygraph experience is failing two of them! Now he hides behind this site in the Netherlands.

Dr. Drew Richardson:
Less than 12 polygraph exams and he is an expert?? Last time I heard, the good doctor was still standing out on Front Street with his pants down around his ankles.

Gino who?

I think I have made my point. The pro poly people are not picking the fight-they are just fighting back.

Regards

You forgot to mention those crazy folks at the National Academy of Science who concluded that the polygraph has no scientific validity and poses a threat to national security. They really have no credibility...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nonombre
Especially Senior User

Reply #47 - Sep 27th, 2007 at 11:48pm
digithead wrote on Sep 27th, 2007 at 10:01pm:
Sargeant,

Wake up and smell the decade here buddy! It is not the pro-poly folks who are doing the slamming here! This web site was set up to do nothing more than to try to discredit polygraph and the people who work in the field. Just look at the players:

George Maschke:
His only REAL polygraph experience is failing two of them! Now he hides behind this site in the Netherlands.

Dr. Drew Richardson:
Less than 12 polygraph exams and he is an expert?? Last time I heard, the good doctor was still standing out on Front Street with his pants down around his ankles.

Gino who?

I think I have made my point. The pro poly people are not picking the fight-they are just fighting back.

Regards

You forgot to mention those crazy folks at the National Academy of Science who concluded that the polygraph has no scientific validity and poses a threat to national security. They really have no credibility...

Digithead,

Isn't that the same National Academy of Sciences that declared that specific issue polygraph detected deception at rates "SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER THAN CHANCE, but less then perfect?"

Gee, I thought the whole mantra of this site was that polygraph was "pseudo science," "tea leaf reading," "bone throwing," a "con," etc, etc, etc...

It seems the NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES would choose to disagree with you.

Are you all now ignoring the very NAS document you repeatedly hang your hat on?

Or maybe the NAS is actually "in bed" with the government???

Or maybe you all just know more than the NAS?

I'm confused..... Undecided

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box digithead
Very Senior User

Reply #48 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 1:07am
nonombre wrote on Sep 27th, 2007 at 11:48pm:

Digithead,

Isn't that the same National Academy of Sciences that declared that specific issue polygraph detected deception at rates "SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER THAN CHANCE, but less then perfect?"

Gee, I thought the whole mantra of this site was that polygraph was "pseudo science," "tea leaf reading," "bone throwing," a "con," etc, etc, etc...

You guys always quote mining. The NAS statement is that:

Quote:
Notwithstanding the limitations of the quality of the empirical research and the limited ability to generalize to real-world settings, we conclude that in populations of examinees such as those represented in the polygraph research literature, untrained in countermeasures, specific-incident polygraph tests can discriminate lying from truth telling at rates well above chance, though well below perfection.

They were talking about specific-incident cases which are related to the scientific study of cognition. This is because the examiner can tailor the questions so that responses are more likely to be based on cognition rather than emotion which is what CQT is based on and is the root of polygraph's unreliability...

The NAS also concluded that:

Quote:
Almost a century of research in scientific psychology and physiology provides little basis for the expectation that a polygraph test could have extremely high accuracy. Although psychological states often associated with deception (e.g., fear of being judged deceptive) do tend to affect the physiological responses that the polygraph measures, these same states can arise in the absence of deception. Moreover, many other psychological and physiological factors (e.g., anxiety about being tested) also affect those responses. Such phenomena make polygraph testing intrinsically susceptible to producing erroneous results. This inherent ambiguity of the physiological measures used in the polygraph suggest that further investments in improving polygraph technique and interpretation will bring only modest improvements in accuracy.

And that:

Quote:
"Polygraph research has not developed and tested theories of the underlying factors that produce the observed responses. Factors other than truthfulness that affect the physiological responses being measured can vary substantially across settings in which polygraph tests are used. There is little knowledge about how much these factors influence the outcomes of polygraph tests in field settings."

What was that again about the NAS having a differing conclusion than the anti-people about the polygraph?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brettski
New User

Reply #49 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 4:51am
digithead wrote on Sep 28th, 2007 at 1:07am:
nonombre wrote on Sep 27th, 2007 at 11:48pm:

Digithead,

You guys always quote mining. The NAS statement is that:

Quote:
Notwithstanding the limitations of the quality of the empirical research and the limited ability to generalize to real-world settings, we conclude that in populations of examinees such as those represented in the polygraph research literature, untrained in countermeasures, specific-incident polygraph tests can discriminate lying from truth telling at rates well above chance, though well below perfection.

They were talking about specific-incident cases which are related to the scientific study of cognition. This is because the examiner can tailor the questions so that responses are more likely to be based on cognition rather than emotion which is what CQT is based on and is the root of polygraph's unreliability...

The NAS also concluded that:

Quote:
Almost a century of research in scientific psychology and physiology provides little basis for the expectation that a polygraph test could have extremely high accuracy. Although psychological states often associated with deception (e.g., fear of being judged deceptive) do tend to affect the physiological responses that the polygraph measures, these same states can arise in the absence of deception. Moreover, many other psychological and physiological factors (e.g., anxiety about being tested) also affect those responses. Such phenomena make polygraph testing intrinsically susceptible to producing erroneous results. This inherent ambiguity of the physiological measures used in the polygraph suggest that further investments in improving polygraph technique and interpretation will bring only modest improvements in accuracy.

And that:

Quote:
"Polygraph research has not developed and tested theories of the underlying factors that produce the observed responses. Factors other than truthfulness that affect the physiological responses being measured can vary substantially across settings in which polygraph tests are used. There is little knowledge about how much these factors influence the outcomes of polygraph tests in field settings."

What was that again about the NAS having a differing conclusion than the anti-people about the polygraph?

LMAO, nonombre, I don't think you could have walked into a larger minefield if you had tried. I think one of the most interesting parts of the report was in "Ritualized Lie Detection Across Cultures [pg 18-20]"

Quote:

Ritualized lie detection techniques in many groups, societies, and cultures through the ages share several characteristics that help create a mystique that enables the techniques to be effective. Lie detection rituals involve a socially certified administrator (an examiner or interrogator) and some device or procedure that purportedly can objectively and publicly identify lying on the part of the examinee. The administrator—in some cultures, a priest or shaman—has completed a secret or semi-secret training process. The keeping of the secrets of the ritual within a small, select group adds to the mystique (e.g., the belief that keepers of the secrets have good reason not to publicize them and should be trusted), and, consequently, adds to the power of the technique. The belief structure of the endorsing society includes beliefs about the special powers of the officials authorized to perform the ritual and about the ritual’s ability to divine or elicit concealed truths....

...The polygraph testing procedures currently used in the criminal justice system and in several government agencies in the United States and other countries fit this prototype ritual... Members of the polygraph examiner culture have a particular jargon and shared lore that are generally unknown to others. They also maintain secrets because to reveal too much of their knowledge would enable targets of investigations to “beat” polygraph tests...

...Any scientific investigation must also deal with some of the cognitive and organizational phenomena that go along with a ritual that has a mystique, a “priesthood,” and a set of secrets. One of these is the difficulty of gaining access to information. Some information of interest to this study, such as the polygraph test records of known spies, is classified for national security reasons. Other information, such as the precise ways particular pieces of polygraph equipment measure physiological responses, is guarded by equipment manufacturers as trade secrets. Some manufacturers ignored our requests for such information, even though we offered to sign legally binding promises of nondisclosure. Information about computer scoring algorithms for polygraph tests was similarly withheld by some algorithm developers. All of this behavior makes scientific analysis difficult. Some of these “secrets” probably have good practical justification, but they are also very much like the activities of a priesthood keeping its secrets in order to keep its power.

I think the NAS made their opinion of polygraph examiners quite clear straight from page one. Trying to suggest that the report favoured the use of polygraphs when the NAS openly compared the practitioners to "preisthoods" is possibly the funniest thing I've seen all week. I'm inclined to agree with the NAS observation is disturbingly similar to the backward practises of the days of old where people's honesty was confirmed through trial by fire.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #50 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 9:15am
Sargeant,

George Maschke:

Dr. Drew Richardson:

Gino who?

Regards

Feel free to add me to that field.

I am now a ten-year (plus) veteran police sergeant with an unblemished record of integrity and professionalism.

More than ten years ago, I was a police applicant who couldn't figure out why I kept failing pre-employment polygraphs even though I was being completely truthful.

You and the other polygraph supporters can say what they want.  I know from experience with three different examiners at three different companies/agencies that it is all bullshit.  All three of them looked me right in the eye and told me they knew I was lying when I knew I was telling the absolute truth.   

Oddly enough, all three of them told me I was lying about something different.  It seems logical that if I had an issue with one particular topic or subject that particular item would have shown up on all three polygraphs that I failed, and it would have showed up on the polygraph I passed.  If I kept failing because of DUI questions, for example, maybe it would make sense that I had some sort of issue with DUI's or with drinking and that's why I was failing.  But the fact that each time it was a different issue makes it very difficult indeed for me to believe the whole test was nothing more than a crap shoot, wherein the examiner would pick out a topic he or she guessed I might have been lying or holding back information on.

If the polygraph was accurate I would have passed, because I was telling the truth.  I wasn't using countermeasures, and in fact didn't even know countermeasures existed.

The information on this site makes sense to me.  Given my own personal experience, I do not believe the polygraph is accurate at all with regards to non-specific issue pre-employment screening.  In fact, it is worse than worthless because it eliminates otherwise outstanding candidates (like me) with no due process or recourse.

As far as the "help" this site provides to sex offenders, I will say again that if anyone is using a test to monitor the behavior of sex offenders, and that test can be beaten or confounded by anyone with access to the Internet, how could that test possibly be valid?

One more thing...
George did not invent the material on this web site; he merely collected it from freely available sources.  The pro-polygraph community that wishes to crucify George because he "helps child molestors" should try to remember that.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #51 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 11:11am
Sargeant,

Wake up and smell the decade here buddy! It is not the pro-poly folks who are doing the slamming here! This web site was set up to do nothing more than to try to discredit polygraph and the people who work in the field.

It is true that this website was created, among other things, for the purpose of discrediting polygraphy. But our method of doing so is simply to tell the truth about it. Perhaps it is you who should wake up and smell the decade: accurate and reliable information about polygraphy is instantly available to anyone who seeks it, and there is nothing you can do to stop it.

The unmasking of frauds in the polygraph community, such as our exposure of such luminaries as Ed Gelb, James Allan Matte, Michael Martin, and most recently, Samuel L. Braddock as phony Ph.D.s is something that those who purport to be "dedicated to truth" (American Polygraph Association motto) should welcome, not resent.

Quote:
Just look at the players:

George Maschke:

I haven't claimed any polygraph experience I don't have. You know about my experience of twice failing the polygraph despite having told the truth because I've described it at length in my statement Too Hot of a Potato: A Citizen-Soldier's Encounter With the Polygraph.

In what way am I "hiding behind this site?" I post here with my full name, contact information, and photograph. I find it ironic that you, posting under the nom de plume "Mysterymeat" would accuse me of somehow hiding.

Quote:
Dr. Drew Richardson:

One doesn't need to be a practitioner of a pseudoscience to be an expert on matters concerning its validity.

Quote:
Gino who?

???

Quote:

Rather than "fighting," why not support your position with facts and reason? Paradiddle started this thread strongly insinuating that Dr. Richardson has somehow misrepresented his credentials. But neither Paradiddle nor any other poster has presented any evidence to support that accusation.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 1904
Ex Member

Reply #52 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 1:34pm
Wonder_Woman wrote on Sep 26th, 2007 at 11:11pm:
Did I ever say I feared you. lol  

BTW if I was looking at 2 applicants - one showed truthful and the other showed inconclusive....the truthful candidate will win.  Screw up the charts, go a head, we all know you can do that.  Are they real responses - NO.  Will it get you a job - NO

peace

Blunder-Woman
I think that you do Paradiddle a disservice by running in his shadow.
He is intelligent and articulate, whilst you battle to talk past your shoe. 

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #53 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 2:31pm
[Quote from George M.;

Rather than "fighting," why not support your position with facts and reason? Paradiddle started this thread strongly insinuating that Dr. Richardson has somehow misrepresented his credentials. But neither Paradiddle nor any other poster has presented any evidence to support that accusation. [/quote]

I stated earlier that Mr. Richardson has testified before scientific and legislative bodies as an "expert" in the field of polygraph. Where I come from, the term "expert" means that you have a mastery of the field which you offer your "expertise." The document I posted alleges that Drew is less than an expert in polygraph, having done poorly in the opinion of a principle auditing figure. That figure alleges and insinuates that Drew became a researcher by what appears to be , default. If circumstances were such that Drew were pro-polygraph, I would continue to beg the question of his deservance of "expert" entitlement.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #54 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 2:59pm
Paradiddle wrote on Sep 28th, 2007 at 2:31pm:
I stated earlier that Mr. Richardson has testified before scientific and legislative bodies as an "expert" in the field of polygraph. Where I come from, the term "expert" means that you have a mastery of the field which you offer your "expertise." The document I posted alleges that Drew is less than an expert in polygraph, having done poorly in the opinion of a principle auditing figure. That figure alleges and insinuates that Drew became a researcher by what appears to be , default. If circumstances were such that Drew were pro-polygraph, I would continue to beg the question of his deservance of "expert" entitlement.

You went well beyond that which is contained in Mark Johnson's declaration to insinuate that Dr. Richardson has falsified his credentials and "owes the people of this site both an explanation and an apology for committing such fraud." As we have seen, Dr. Richardson has committed no such fraud. In the opening message of this thread you went on to berate Dr. Richardson with the words, "Have you no honor sir?" If you have any, you will apologize for having falsely accused him.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #55 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 3:14pm
Quote:

You went well beyond that which is contained in Mark Johnson's declaration to insinuate that Dr. Richardson has falsified his credentials and "owes the people of this site both an explanation and an apology for committing such fraud." As we have seen, Dr. Richardson has committed no such fraud. In the opening message of this thread you went on to berate Dr. Richardson with the words, "Have you no honor sir?" If you have any, you will apologize for having falsely accused him.

I will apoligize provided that you answer my question with objective consideration. If the allegations are true, from a mere judicial standpoint, and per the definition of the words "expert witness," do you believe that Dr. Drew Richardson is properly classified as an "expert" in polygraph? Keep in mind, that you sir, are not in the judicial sense considered to be by definition per the American Bar association, an expert witness, despite your knowlege and activism.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #56 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 3:27pm
I testify as an expert witness in criminal and civil trials involving motor vehicle accidents.

No one has ever asked me, nor has it ever seemed pertinent, how many times I have had other vehicles collide with mine as I drove down the road.

They also do not ask me if I was present in either car during the events of the crash.  My expertise does not derive from my involvement in the crash, but in my interpretation of the physical evidence after the crash.

I believe you are being deliberately obtuse.  Surely you are familiar with experts who make their living in the lab rather than in the field.  It is easy for me to acknowledge the expertise of a person who has spent time researching a particular field.  I find it hard to believe you cannot do the same.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #57 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 3:35pm
Sergeant1107 wrote on Sep 28th, 2007 at 3:27pm:
I testify as an expert witness in criminal and civil trials involving motor vehicle accidents.

No one has ever asked me, nor has it ever seemed pertinent, how many times I have had other vehicles collide with mine as I drove down the road.

They also do not ask me if I was present in either car during the events of the crash.  My expertise does not derive from my involvement in the crash, but in my interpretation of the physical evidence after the crash.

I believe you are being deliberately obtuse.  Surely you are familiar with experts who make their living in the lab rather than in the field.  It is easy for me to acknowledge the expertise of a person who has spent time researching a particular field.  I find it hard to believe you cannot do the same.

BUT IF YOU DIDN'T EVEN POSSESS A DRIVERS LICENSE NOR A CAR, THAN YOUR EXPERTISE WOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED.
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2007 at 6:47pm by Paradiddle »  

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #58 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 3:58pm
Paradiddle wrote on Sep 28th, 2007 at 3:14pm:
Quote:

I will apoligize provided that you answer my question with objective consideration. If the allegations are true, from a mere judicial standpoint, and per the definition of the words "expert witness," do you believe that Dr. Drew Richardson is properly classified as an "expert" in polygraph? Keep in mind, that you sir, are not in the judicial sense considered to be by definition per the American Bar association, an expert witness, despite your knowlege and activism.

I fail to see the logic of tying your willingness to apologize to Dr. Richardson to my willingness to answer your question. Nonetheless, I shall indulge you. Black's Law Dictionary, 6th edition, defines "expert witness" thus: "One who by reason of education or specialized experience possesses superior knowledge respecting a subject about which persons having no particular training are incapable of forming an accurate opinion or deducting correct conclusions...."

I believe that Dr. Richardson, as a research scientist with a Ph.D. in physiology from George Washington University whose doctoral dissertation applied novel cardiovascular indices to a lie detection task, is eminently qualified to testify as an expert witness on matters related to the (lack of) validity of polygraphy. Indeed, I believe he has testified as such in the past, as have other non-polygraphers including Bill Iacono, John Furedy, Al Zelicoff, and the late David Lykken.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #59 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 4:37pm
If an academic theorist claims "superior knowlege" without actually being a practicing examiner, then he/she is expected to have excellent theoretical academic grades in the "respective field" if that person were to attend a "respective field" academic institution---in this case, Polygraph and the Department of Defense Polygraph Institute.  If the world's leading expert on lungs and respiratory functions can't run a polygraph, and is accused by authorities as being the worst seen polygraph examiner ever, no matter how mundane the academic feels the test to be, than I consider such to be Not Superior. By Mr. Johnson's account, Dr. Richardson did not demonstrate a "Superior knowlege" of polygraph, rather---according to Mr. Johnson's sworn testimony, Dr. Richardson demonstrated a very shoddy knowlege of polygraph----if any. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Drew Richardson Never an Actual FBI Polygraph Examiner?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X