Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Al-Qaeda Has Read The Lie Behind the Lie Detector (Read 70750 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Al-Qaeda Has Read The Lie Behind the Lie Detector
Jan 9th, 2006 at 7:46pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Al-Qaeda has read, (more or less) understood, and summarized in Arabic the information on polygraph procedure and countermeasures presented in AntiPolygraph.org's free e-book, The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.

Previously, AntiPolygraph.org has reported that an Al-Qaeda document titled Mawsu'at al-jihad (Encyclopedia of Jihad) includes a section on lie detectors that made it clear that Al-Qaeda understood that polygraphy is junk science. (See, Al-Qaeda Documentation on Lie Detection.)

But a more recent article on the Al-Qaeda website www.tawhed.ws titled "Usturah jahaz kashf al-kidhb" (The Myth of the Lie Detector) goes further in explaining polygraph procedure, including an explanation of "control" questions as well as physical, mental, and behavioral countermeasures. It is unmistakaby clear that the primary (albeit unattributed) source for this article, which was originally published in the Dhu al-Qa'dah 1425 (December 2004) issue of al-Fath magazine, was The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. The article (in Arabic) is available here:

http://www.tawhed.ws/r?i=3165

U.S. policymakers who are still foolishly relying on the polygraph to assess the credibility of Al-Qaeda prisoners, suspects, and informants need to wake up and realize that the polygraph is utterly unreliable as a lie detector. Al-Qaeda knows it, and they know how to countermeasure it.
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2006 at 6:54pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Re: Al-Qaeda Has Read The Lie Behind the Lie Detec
Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 12:47pm
Al-Fath magazine is an Arabic language publication of the Sunni insurgency in Iraq. The article, "Usturah jahaz kashf al-kidhb" (The Myth of the Lie Detector) is found at pp. 19-22 of the magazine's first issue, dated Dhu al-Qa'dah 1425 (December 2004), which is available as a zipped PDF file here:

http://www.geocities.com/alfat7_mag_no1/ft-1.zip

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #2 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 2:37pm
The index page on the website www.tawhed.ws where the HTML version of the article, "Usturah jahaz kashf al-kidhb" (The Myth of the Lie Detector) is listed, which provides links to this and other articles on intelligence and security matters, indicates that the article on the lie detector has been viewed more than 4,200 times:

http://www.tawhed.ws/c?i=44

The same page also indicates that the article has been downloaded (it's available as a zipped Microsoft Word document here) some 740 times.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box opp
Senior User

Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 10:30pm
George,

It may not be a very good idea to open an Al-Qaeda website. Before you know it, you get the Feds all over you and find yourself in Guantanamo Bay, especially after recent news at the NSA. What do you think? I'd like to read it but you never know

Opp

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #4 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 11:34pm
opp,

Unless you read Arabic, the above-reference pages probably won't be of much interest. Assuming you do, here are links you can use to load the pages through the Coral proxy network (created by adding ".nyud.net:8090" to the domain name in the URL):

HTML: http://www.tawhed.ws.nyud.net:8090/r?i=3165

Zipped MS Word document: http://www.tawhed.ws.nyud.net:8090/r?i=3165&a=d

Article index page: http://www.tawhed.ws.nyud.net:8090/c?i=44

Issue of al-Fath magazine with article: http://www.geocities.com.nyud.net:8090/alfat7_mag_no1/ft-1.zip

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #5 - Jan 12th, 2006 at 6:58pm
A rough English translation of the article has been prepared from the Arabic and will be posted on AntiPolygraph.org shortly. It appears that apart from The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, the author of this article also relied on Kevin Bonsor's article, "How Lie Detectors Work on HowStuffWorks.com.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #6 - Jan 12th, 2006 at 9:49pm
An English translation of "The Myth of the Lie Detector" is now available here:

http://antipolygraph.org/documents/myth-of-the-lie-detector.shtml

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nonombre
Especially Senior User

Reply #7 - Jan 15th, 2006 at 7:28pm
Quote:
Al-Qaeda has read, (more or less) understood, and summarized in Arabic the information on polygraph procedure and countermeasures presented in AntiPolygraph.org's free e-book, The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.

.[/b]

George, you must be so proud.  Have they asked you to come by and lecture on the topic?

Nonombre

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #8 - Jan 15th, 2006 at 7:46pm
nonombre wrote on Jan 15th, 2006 at 7:28pm:
George, you must be so proud.  Have they asked you to come by and lecture on the topic?

Proud? No! I'm angered and dismayed by the stupidity and incompetence of U.S. Government officials who continue to rely on polygraphy despite overwhelming scientific evidence that it is unreliable.

Now we have incontrovertible proof that our jihadist adversaries fully understand that polygraphy is a sham and have an idea of how to countermeasure it. This should be a wake-up call to the intelligence and law enforcement communities.
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2006 at 8:03pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nonombre
Especially Senior User

Reply #9 - Jan 15th, 2006 at 11:18pm
Quote:

Proud? No! I'm angered and dismayed by the stupidity and incompetence of U.S. Government officials who continue to rely on polygraphy despite overwhelming scientific evidence that it is unreliable.

Now we have incontrovertible proof that our jihadist adversaries fully understand that polygraphy is a sham and have an idea of how to countermeasure it. This should be a wake-up call to the intelligence and law enforcement communities.

Mr. Maschke,

Okay, I get it.  You so hate this polygraph stuff that hurt you so bad, that you write a book containing your beliefs on how to "beat" it.  The book is (thanks to the internet) picked up by our sworn enemies, translated, and distributed to their thousands of minions around the world to include many that have found thier way into our beloved country.

You are not only unbothered by this, you are actually quite proud of what you have done.

So, in other words (assuming for arguments sake the methods taught in your book were actually effective), you have in fact handed a loaded weapon to a terrorist, cocked back the hammer, showed the terrorist where to point it, and encouraged him to pull the trigger.

Actually, I shouldn't be surprised.  You have already assisted our registered sex offender community in this fashion.

As I said before, you must be proud..

Nonombre

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #10 - Jan 16th, 2006 at 7:10am
nonombre

If you would put forth the effort to do some research, you would find that the Jihadist had all the poop on beating the polygraph long before this website hit the internet. You also know that an ex cop in Oklahoma was selling the info long before this website hit the internet. Spies the world over had the knowledge to beat the polygoof, excuse me, the polygraph long before this website hit the internet. However, I suspect that you know this and you know, also, that nothing has had the impact on the polygraph community than has antipolygraph.org. Do you people sense that the end of the poly is near and that's why y'all through wild accusations at George and this website? 

I admire anyone who won't go down without a fight, but y'all are goin down. One should perfect the jab before trying to through the haymaker.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #11 - Jan 16th, 2006 at 8:01am
Nonombre,

You may think me blameworthy for making information about polygraph procedure and countermeasures publicly available and free, but as Twoblock points out, any resourceful adversary could have done the same research that Gino Scalabrini and I did in writing The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.

Again, I take no pride in the fact that jihadists have exploited the information provided here. The reason that I have called attention to this fact, and posted an English translation of the relevant article, is that I think it is important that U.S. policymakers be aware of it.

I also think it is important that polygraph examiners such as yourself be aware of it. Regrettably, you seem unwilling to confront the serious implications of this news, preferring to shoot the messenger instead.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Meangino
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jan 16th, 2006 at 9:02pm
Nonombre:

If polygraphers are able to detect these countermeasures, why are you concerned about Mr. Maschke posting what he found on the Al Queda web site?

Indeed, if you can detect countermeasures why are you posting on this web site and why are you concerned about countermeasures? ???

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box whylie
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jan 17th, 2006 at 7:20pm
George and Associates have helped supply numerous persons with the ability to produce resultes on a polygraph that violate basic values of most Americans, and no shame from either.  Where is the surprise in that?  So intenet on destroying the use of insturmentation to aid security of our country is of no concern, just winning a battle against use of polygraphics and "I win You Loose" is the goal.  Congradulations on your accomplishment George and Associates. 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brandon Hall
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jan 18th, 2006 at 1:17am
whylie wrote on Jan 17th, 2006 at 7:20pm:
George and Associates have helped supply numerous persons with the ability to produce resultes on a polygraph that violate basic values of most Americans, and no shame from either.  Where is the surprise in that?  So intenet on destroying the use of insturmentation to aid security of our country is of no concern, just winning a battle against use of polygraphics and "I win You Loose" is the goal.  Congradulations on your accomplishment George and Associates.  

Which basic values are on your mind?  The ones that provide every American is entitled to be bamboozled, lied to and blindly led to believe mistruths and injustices?  Sorry, those do not match my values.  The instrumentation you speak of does little to provide security to our nation.  In reality it is a detriment to rely upon polygraph evidence as a means of determining truth.  Perhaps a crystal ball would be helpful for national security.  At least it would be a bit easier to hurl toward the enemy than a computer program and blood pressure cuff.  As to the argument you elude to:  It's currently the best we have at our disposal.  Well, if air travel was plagued with as many accidents as polygraph is with incorrect results would you feel the same?  Another jet went down, but it's the best we got.  Lie detection must be scientifically proven before it can receive due reliance.  So far that is not the case.  Maybe we should issue every soldier an M-1 Garand rather than modern weaponry.  Those rifles worked well in WWII.  Also, you may want to check your local library, university library or law library and see what information you can find about polygraphy.  The information that polygraph testing is not reliable is not found only here.

Just think, according to what you have stated, you believe that for national security purposes, our nation should continue using testing which is easily foiled.  That is according to your statement, not mine.

IP Logged

Al-Qaeda Has Read The Lie Behind the Lie Detector

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X