Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) drugs and LEO Background Disclosure (Read 24541 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box meangino
User

Re: drugs and LEO Background Disclosure
Reply #45 - Dec 27th, 2003 at 7:04pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Torpedo:

You wrote:
I recognize Drew's academic credentials, but he too has tired of the back and forth banter...that much is fairly evident to me. 

(sorry my computer skills aren't good enough to do the type of pastes George M  and other more frequent posters do).

How do you know Dr. Richardson no longer supports the polygraph challenge he made to the National Academy of Sciences? Notwithstanding your opining here, I predict he will be on this thead shortly confirming he's willing to carry out his challenge.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #46 - Dec 27th, 2003 at 8:38pm
Skeptic wrote on Dec 26th, 2003 at 7:47pm:

I second this.  Torpedo, you can settle this issue of whether countermeasures can be detected right now by taking up the Polygraph Countermeasure Challenge.  It's fun, it's easy and it's simple!  How about it?  Care to put your money where your mouth is?

Skeptic,

"Fun?"  well it would be for the observers. "Easy and simple?" I don't think so. Drew's challenge, far from being the childish taunt some polygraphers have stated, is not simple and requires serious work to set up protocols that each side can agree on as providing statistically significant results - a non-trivial task. Drew's challenge would require significant resources (mostly time and thoughtful preparation) to execute.  It would be much more elucidating if funding could be arranged and experienced polygraphers recruited.

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box n0mad
User

Reply #47 - Dec 27th, 2003 at 8:45pm
They can't take the challenge because they have doubt and fear being disproved.  Its like if somehow you find out there is no God, you start questioning your existance, maybe go into a deep depression, kill yourself, etc... It wouldn't be a pleasant experience to find out the idol of your worship was a fraud. Hell, they may actually have to find something honest to do, but probably just move on to another scheme in which they can instill fear in others by using deceit and scare tactics.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #48 - Dec 27th, 2003 at 11:46pm
Quote:
They can't take the challenge because they have doubt and fear being disproved.  Its like if somehow you find out there is no God, you start questioning your existance, maybe go into a deep depression, kill yourself, etc... It wouldn't be a pleasant experience to find out the idol of your worship was a fraud. Hell, they may actually have to find something honest to do, but probably just move on to another scheme in which they can instill fear in others by using deceit and scare tactics.

I think polygraphers believe in what they are doing. Newton believed in Alchemy. Exponents of Facilitated Communication believe in their technology. The medical establishment long believed ulcers could not be caused by a bacterium.

Things change.

I think polygraphers believe they can often detect CMs. It may even be true for some kinds of CMs. The issue of CM detection isn't subject to the uncertainties of base truth like the CQT. I suspect many pass using CMs but I suspect CM users are also sometimes detected. The knowledge (as opposed to use) of CMs could also be subject to the CIT, the type of test ascribed the highest (only?) validity.

-Marty

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Reply #49 - Dec 27th, 2003 at 11:51pm
Marty wrote on Dec 27th, 2003 at 8:38pm:

Skeptic,

"Fun?"  well it would be for the observers. "Easy and simple?" I don't think so. Drew's challenge, far from being the childish taunt some polygraphers have stated, is not simple and requires serious work to set up protocols that each side can agree on as providing statistically significant results - a non-trivial task. Drew's challenge would require significant resources (mostly time and thoughtful preparation) to execute.  It would be much more elucidating if funding could be arranged and experienced polygraphers recruited.

Marty,
I stand corrected, although I hope my light-hearted tone was taken for what it was, and not as an attempt to belittle the challenge.  Nontheless, the fact that polygraphers en masse have utterly refused to even discuss taking up a challenge that could put the issue to rest and provide a solid boost to their profession (provided detection were as easy as they claim) should be taken as speaking volumes regarding the accuracy of their boasts -- or at least, their confidence in said boasts.

Skeptic

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #50 - Dec 28th, 2003 at 4:50am
Skeptic,

Any ideas what size grant it would take to put Drew's challenge into a publishable work? What institutions to funnel it through? A properly funded, peer reviewed, scientific study would really be ideal.

-Marty

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #51 - Dec 28th, 2003 at 5:33am
Marty wrote on Dec 28th, 2003 at 4:50am:
Skeptic,

Any ideas what size grant it would take to put Drew's challenge into a publishable work? What institutions to funnel it through? A properly funded, peer reviewed, scientific study would really be ideal.

-Marty

Actually, I would think most psychology departments at major universities would be more than capable of setting up and carrying through such a study.  The major issues would be the study design, which would likely be rather standard psychology fare (double-blind, etc.).

Getting the results into a reputable journal would be more a matter of time than anything (assuming it's well done).

Skeptic

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #52 - Dec 28th, 2003 at 7:23am
Skeptic,

Any idea how much of a grant would be required to do a quality study? I'm not an academic, I went into the private sector (not gov related) so while I've very much enjoyed spending time at Millikan and UCSD's tech library as part of the R&D I've done, I'm clueless as to the practices in the credentialed, non-profit world.

TIA

-Marty

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #53 - Dec 28th, 2003 at 8:33pm
Marty wrote on Dec 28th, 2003 at 7:23am:
Skeptic,

Any idea how much of a grant would be required to do a quality study? I'm not an academic, I went into the private sector (not gov related) so while I've very much enjoyed spending time at Millikan and UCSD's tech library as part of the R&D I've done, I'm clueless as to the practices in the credentialed, non-profit world.

TIA

-Marty

That, I would not know, as I've never done grantwriting.  I do recall, during my Psychology undergrad days, that undergrad Psych majors were required, as part of "intro to Psychology 101", to participate in ongoing Psychology studies.  This was a relatively small Psychology department, yet it had multiple studies going on the scale you seem to envision.  So I would imagine we're talking $50,000 or perhaps considerably less, mostly to fund research assistants for a year or two.  If the department wanted to set up a permanent polygraph research lab, it might cost more (for equipment and space, etc.).  An informal study with all volunteers, of course, could be done for the price of the equipment.

Of greater consideration would be the design of the study, to avoid confounds that the polygraph community would claim regarding the "reality" of the study conditions.  Since most of us seem to agree that "fear of consequences" is the main factor in the functioning of the polygraph, one would need to set up a situation in which the subjects felt concern that the detection of countermeasures would have real consequences for them.  At the same time, you'd need to tread an ethical line regarding deception of the subjects.

On the other hand, it might be interesting to compare such results with those from subjects who felt they had nothing to lose.  This second part could be considered a "baseline" for the detection of countermeasures.

You'd also need to lay out beforehand that the polygraph examiner was only allowed to judge the presence of countermeasures based upon chart recordings, not upon beating a confession out of an examinee.  No interrogations allowed -- we're looking for the actual performance of the device, after all, not for how often an examinee can be made to confess...

Skeptic

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Torpedo
Senior User

AKA Geen Lantern

Reply #54 - Dec 29th, 2003 at 12:53am
George, perhaps I am incorrect and you will no doubt enlighten me.  When I spoke of a circular argument, my intetion was to point out that you have your position and I have mione...and apparently neither of us CHOOSE to change or modify our position.  My understanding of a circular argument is:

A circular argument makes a conclusion based on material that has already been assumed in the argument

Forgive me for being less than intelligent (in your eyes), butit would seem to me that I am making a conclusion and you are making a conclusion, both of which are assumed in our respective arguments for and against polygraph therefore we must BOTH be engaing in separate circular arguments

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #55 - Dec 29th, 2003 at 3:41am
Torpedo wrote on Dec 29th, 2003 at 12:53am:
George, perhaps I am incorrect and you will no doubt enlighten me.  When I spoke of a circular argument, my intetion was to point out that you have your position and I have mione...and apparently neither of us CHOOSE to change or modify our position.  My understanding of a circular argument is:

A circular argument makes a conclusion based on material that has already been assumed in the argument

Forgive me for being less than intelligent (in your eyes), butit would seem to me that I am making a conclusion and you are making a conclusion, both of which are assumed in our respective arguments for and against polygraph therefore we must BOTH be engaing in separate circular arguments

Torpedo,
Another term for a circular argument is begging the question.  I think what you're referring to is a couple of people holding on to positions dogmatically.

Skeptic

IP Logged

Senior User

AKA Geen Lantern

Reply #56 - Dec 29th, 2003 at 4:20am
Skeptic, I took the time to look it up and it is identified as "circular reasoning"....not a circular argument. (as I called it)...not sure if there is a difference, but your inference of being dogmatic is correct....at least the way that I see it. Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #57 - Dec 29th, 2003 at 6:01am
Torpedo

I am still in the learning process so here's another question for you.

Let's say you are giving me a poly. In the numbers stim test, I pick the number 5. When you ask "did you pick the number 5". I refused to lie and said yes. Would you fail me for being uncooperative for refusing to lie as you directed? Remember, you want me to be truthful and all I want to do is tell the total truth.

IP Logged

Senior User

AKA Geen Lantern

Reply #58 - Dec 29th, 2003 at 7:10am
Probably not. The rationale behind the "stim" test (most examiners do not like that moniker) is that it is INTENDED to demonstrate to the examinee how the test works, truth be told, for the skeptical examinee that the test in fact works.  I am not "giving anything away" (this description is readily available) In explaining the test, I will tell you that I want you to answer no to all questions about the numbers, including the one which you picked/wrote.  If you "refused" to answer as I directed, I do not care...I simply would not administer that particular test to you. The idea isn't to trick (as some would have you believe) it is used to provide an opportunity for the examinee to have some idea of the process.  It may come as a surprise to some of the anti folks, but a distinct advantage of the test is for innocent examinees when they are able to see that the test does work and that will be vindicated. I think the idea of the whole process being equated to a palor game , at least inpart, comes from the manner in which SOME examiners use a deck of playing cards to perform this test.  This manner is not exactly embraced by all for obvious reasons.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Drew Richardson
Especially Senior User

Torpedo,Re: drugs and LEO Background Disclosure
Reply #59 - Dec 29th, 2003 at 7:28am
Torpedo,

Because there are others quite well qualified to offer running commentary regarding the nature of, reasons for, and the passage of time that “the challenge” has gone unanswered, my ongoing participation in the matter is rendered largely unnecessary.  That having been said, lest you think that my lack of daily commentary would indicate some disinterest on my part, let me clearly state that (1) it is my intention to, once the terms of the stated challenge have been accepted, to honor my offer of participation and (2) I still have no doubt whatsoever that my original assertion, i.e., that the polygraph community can not reliably detect CQT polygraph exam countermeasures, will be clearly shown to be correct as evidenced through the exercise.

With regard to your latest post, my concern with numbers/stim/acquaintance tests is that it/they really have nothing at all to do with lie tests.  In reality these are nothing more than concealed information tests with an examinee merely responding to an act of significance (picking a number when instructed to do so) to him and one not requiring that any lie be told, i.e., a silent test will work just as well as one in which the examinee is told to answer "no" to each question.  Neither success nor failure on the part of the examiner in picking the number (blind stim) or demonstrating appropriately produced response(s) (open stim) has any bearing on the validity of the lie test to follow.  This of course, is quite apart from and in addition to any fraud, which might be involved in the execution of the stim test.  Regards, Drew Richardson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
drugs and LEO Background Disclosure

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X