Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) drugs and LEO Background Disclosure (Read 24531 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Torpedo
Senior User

AKA Geen Lantern

Re: drugs and LEO Background Disclosure
Reply #15 - Dec 22nd, 2003 at 5:37pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
George, you may be correct, but isn't that taking a bit of a leap in accusing Ryan of the neo-nazi affiliation that you have?...Marty is correct "88"is in fact a Chinese symbol for good luck....you might be correct in your assessmen of Ryan's background, but goodness, you are doing the same thing of which you accuse us pro-polygraphers!

IP Logged

Senior User

AKA Geen Lantern

Reply #16 - Dec 22nd, 2003 at 5:39pm
P.S.   we already know Ryan...and will be discussing his future soon.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ryan
New User

Reply #17 - Dec 22nd, 2003 at 6:14pm
Actually i have no racist associations personally i needed to add numbers to my email name since himmler was taken.  88 was easy to remember. No nazi No good luck.

That aside,  I've talked to some of my LEO friends about my disclosure issues.  I'm just going to fully disclose since my past afterall is years behind me and sounds foregiveable.  I don't need to have some old skeletons in my closet come out later in my life and haunt my employment.

I wasn't asking you guys to help me lie, I was asking advice on my disclosure form.  I'm sure you've all wondered whether saying you smoked that joint would compromise your chances of getting the job.  I was just wondering whether or not the decision to take that puff when I was a teenager would screw me over for life.

Anyway I'm about to go drop it off, Monday morning with the truth, so now I guess I will only experience the poly if my past is acceptable.  So if I get a poly then I will be telling the truth.  If I am found deceptive there is going to be hell to pay lol.  I've read on this forum too many truth tellers get labelled deceptive. 

I've come to the decision that i'm going to be myself, admit my faults, if you don't want me then leave me.  I'm making this decision fully aware that I could beat the poly if had chose to lie.  The polygraph had nothing to do with scaring me into full disclosure, it was something I decided was right.

Now I'm going to be right pissed off if the poly thinks i'm being deceptive.

Ryan

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Administrator
Administrator

Caveat Lector
Reply #18 - Dec 22nd, 2003 at 6:26pm
Minutes before posting the message cited below, "Ryan" had posted a different message, in which he asserted that the 88 in in his e-mail address was for "good luck," stated that he was going in for his polygraph examination "today," and would post the results when it was over. Shortly after posting, however, "Ryan" deleted that message and replaced it with the one cited below. Caveat lector.

Ryan wrote on Dec 22nd, 2003 at 6:14pm:
Actually i have no racist associations personally i needed to add numbers to my email name since himmler was taken.  88 was easy to remember.

That aside,  I've talked to some of my LEO friends about my disclosure issues.  I'm just going to fully disclose since my past afterall is years behind me and foregiveable.  I don't need to have some old skeletons in my closet come out later in my life and haunt my employment.

I wasn't asking you guys to help me lie, I was asking advice on my disclosure form.  Anyway I'm about to go drop it off, Monday morning with the truth, so now I guess I will only experience the poly if my past is forgiveable.  So if I get a poly then I will be telling the truth.  If I am found deceptive there is going to be hell to pay lol.  I've read on this forum too many truth tellers get labelled deceptive.

AntiPolygraph.org Administrator
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #19 - Dec 22nd, 2003 at 6:37pm
Torpedo

Psychiatry students learn how to redirect those concerns and to focus in another direction.

Let me give you this scenario: I am taking a poly for LE. I tell the polygrapher that, in my young days on the farm, I was the ultimate watermellon steeler because of my ability to vault high fenses and heft the biggest watermellon in the field. Other than that, I have not stolen anything. The truth.

The questioning: 

Is your name _______________ ?   Yes
Do you live in _______________ ?   Yes
Other than what you told me, have you ever stolen anything____________                ?     No

Have you ever passed secret information to and agent of a foreign government_____      ?    No
Do you know of anyone who has passed secret information to an agent of a foreign government?  No

I have answered all questions truthfully and the chart readings are the same on all questions. You are actually going to deem me inconclusive? What is your reasoning why I didn't pass? You can't say countermeasures because there isn't a spike anywhere.

This shoots the hell out of you people's statement "tell the truth and you will do o.k."

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ryan
New User

Reply #20 - Dec 22nd, 2003 at 6:51pm
Administrator is right and a tattle tale i might add LOL.  My original intention was to come back later today praising about how i lied and passed.  I knew it would get a debate going.  I then decided against the post.  But I had some explaining to do after Administrator ratted me out.   

Ryan

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #21 - Dec 22nd, 2003 at 7:44pm
Ryan wrote on Dec 22nd, 2003 at 6:14pm:
Actually i have no racist associations personally i needed to add numbers to my email name since himmler was taken.  88 was easy to remember. No nazi No good luck.

Then why did an e-mail message I received from you include "heinrich himmler" in the "From:" header?

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Kona
Very Senior User

Reply #22 - Dec 22nd, 2003 at 11:13pm
Torpedo wrote on Dec 22nd, 2003 at 5:34pm:
Kona, why do you call yourself those names...I certainly did not call you any of them...lest I be accused of a wrongful attack...

You've got to be kidding me.  You said that it was a sad day for the citizens that I will be sworn to protect.  What do you call that, a compliment?  Let's call a spade a spade; that comment was an off handed swipe at my personal integrity, and I didn't appreciate it.  Pardon me for being defensive.   

it seems to be that there is a psychological factor at work here...where a person so consumed with guilt atttempts to project his guilt by admonishing himself in an effort to punish himself where no one else can (they don't know about your behavior....only you do).

Oh brother......Dr. Torpedo, do me a favor and put the Psych 101 textbook back in the bookcase where it belongs.  No guilt here.  I just did what I had to in order to pass you infallible machine.  I think I'll be able to sleep at night.  You see, based on my past experience with the polygraph, telling the truth WASN'T GOOD ENOUGH.  I just had to tweek my physiological responses on questions that you WANTED me to lie on anyway.  On all the relevant questions, I told the truth.  Has this penetrated your brain housing group yet?  Your pseudo science failed miserably at what it was supposed to accomplish, and I wasn't willing to take the chance of failing a second time.  So now I'm the bad guy in your eyes for protecting myself against this quackery. 

In my case, none, and I mean NONE, of the transgressions were of such magnitude that they would have DQ'd me from my job...and the fact that I chose to divulge what I had done sent a clear message to not only the examiner but those reviewing my application that I was an honest individual..

Well whoop de doo!!!  Guess what?  I told the truth on my background package also.  I didn't have any history of criminal activity, or drug use, or alcohol abuse, or have a secret Jeffrey Dahmer worship room in my basement.  There are lots of good, honest people out there that have told the total truth during their BI.  I'll ask this question for the THIRD TIME to you: What do you have to say to all the applicants out there that told the truth during their polygraph exam (me, for example), and were STILL found to be deceptive???  Please answer this for me.   

Torpedo, you're no different than a lot of people that have told the truth here on these boards.  You aren't anything special for having been an honest man.  The only difference is that you were LUCKY you didn't experience any problems with the polygraph, and were offered the job.  Otherwise, you might be one of many that were found deceptive, and obviously "hiding something."   

Cheers,
Kona
PS Have you read the NAS report?

IP Logged

Senior User

AKA Geen Lantern

Reply #23 - Dec 22nd, 2003 at 11:58pm
Wow!!!....so defensive.....in the spirit of the holidays, I find no need to respond to your tirade...chill Kona....I am sure you are a good person...just a little misdirected....as I have said before, good luck to you.  Maybe we can talk more later after you have calmed down a mite and can engage in an intelligent conversation and not one where you are spewing venomous spittle! Have a great holiday Kona and the rest of the Anti Polygraph folks!

IP Logged

Senior User

AKA Geen Lantern

Reply #24 - Dec 23rd, 2003 at 12:09am
Personally, I did not care for the control questions that you claim were used. I can see how they would not "work"...but a lot depends on the conduct of the pre-test.  I still have to say though that lacking any significant response in either the relevant or the control questions would cause me to call your examination inconclusive...and thereby require additional testing. It was not a matter of you "passing" or "failing"...there just wasn't adequate data to allow me to make a call and rather than force a call (and perhaps make an error), the proper thing to do is to call it inconclusive.  KNowing what is a response and what isn't means a lot. You talk about something that psychiatry students are taught....I have to say I am not familiar with the concept you discussed, but PSYCHOLOGY students are keenly aware of the concept of situational adaptation....or focusing their concerns on those issues (mmediate or in the past) that pose the greatest threat to their well being....but STILL it depends on the adequacy of a person's socialization.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #25 - Dec 23rd, 2003 at 1:45am
Torpedo wrote on Dec 22nd, 2003 at 11:58pm:
Wow!!!....so defensive.....in the spirit of the holidays, I find no need to respond to your tirade...chill Kona....I am sure you are a good person...just a little misdirected....as I have said before, good luck to you.  Maybe we can talk more later after you have calmed down a mite and can engage in an intelligent conversation and not one where you are spewing venomous spittle! Have a great holiday Kona and the rest of the Anti Polygraph folks!

That's wonderful Torpedo........when you can't, or won't answer a valid question that is relevant to this discussion, you call me "defensive," or unable to engage in an intelligent conversation.  Where did you learn that, in the Debate Club at your local Junior College, or from watching Bill Clinton on TV?   

Ok, here I am........very calm, kicking back in the lotus position, in my feng shue correct office, just being mellow, my yin and my yang in balance, listening to Ravi Shankar on the CD, sipping herbal tea, and waiting patiently for an answer to my question:  What do you have to say to the many people here on these message boards that were 100% honest on their polygraph, and were still found to be deceptive?  How could this happen with your incredibly accurate piece of machinery?    

Oh, and BTW......Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanza, Festivus, New Year to you too.   

Cheers,
Kona

IP Logged

Senior User

AKA Geen Lantern

Reply #26 - Dec 23rd, 2003 at 3:11am
I am soooooooooo glad that you have taken hold of yourself and returned to a quieter, more serene Kona....breathe in...breathe out.....repeat after me....I AM calm...I AM calm....now to respond to your questions...and I have to ask you to please put on your common sense hat my friend.  First by the very tone of your questions, you assert that ALL those who have this incredible complaint of being treated unfairly were (in your words) "100% honest".  Gotta tell you my friend, while not impossible...that is highly improbable....you see it wouldn't make for ANY conversation if they said that they were "almost 100% honest" now would it?  You are making the assumption that they were in fact being 100% honest because...let's see now....because they told you so.....isn't that just a tad bit naive on your part....now for the part that may hurt...no one has ever said that the polygraph is perfect...it isn't...in fact, I am not sure that short of spiritual dieities that there is anything that is perfect.   Think about that a while my friend...we will talk later.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #27 - Dec 23rd, 2003 at 5:22am
Torpedo

I did not claim those questions were actually used. That was a made-up scenario. I guess, since these wern't good control question, it just shows how little I know about the polygraph. I strongly believe, however, that if one tells the total truth, then that machine should pass one. If it could actually distinguish between truth and lies then there would be no inconclusive. I believe there is a right  or wrong. No in-between. Some times there may be a fine line between the two but damnit, there should be a definate conclusion. There should be NO second test. No chance to jack up a person for failure. Isn't this where you use psych 101?

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #28 - Dec 25th, 2003 at 7:50am
Torpedo wrote on Dec 23rd, 2003 at 3:11am:
You are making the assumption that they were in fact being 100% honest because...let's see now....because they told you so.....

Ok Torpedo, fair enough.  Let's just talk about me.  How do you respond to me, when I tell you that I passed a polygraph telling the truth, without using countermeasures.......and then a month later with a different police agency fail the polygraph using the complete honesty method with no countermeasures?  How is this possible?  What do you say to me as a job applicant?  Sorry pal, you're obviously hiding something, and I think you are lying, or ...... you might be telling the truth, but we just can't offer you the job.   

Thanks,
Kona
Still in a transcendentally meditated state.

IP Logged

Senior User

AKA Geen Lantern

Reply #29 - Dec 25th, 2003 at 6:19pm
Kona, my friend, you really lack a lot of knowledge about polygraph...and that concerns me because aren't you one of the folks who are freely passing information to others about the polygraph, what to do, etc.. I do not mean to be insulting, but you fail to consider the limitless number of variables that exists out there.  Most regretably, from my point of view, is that far too many states have withdrawn their polygraph regulations.  It might come as a surprise to you, but these states that have either repealed their laws, or never enacted them, it is NOT because the procedure doesn't work (despite what you have been told), polygraph licensing is NOT a cash cow to many jurisdictions and it simply costs too much to administer.  I would very much like to see a federal licensing regulation and establishment of federal standards to which all examiners and their schools were required to adhere.  You do not know how troubling it is for legitimate examiners (George won't like that word) to see examiner on some of the TV tabloid shows and those who "perform" in states where there is no regulation.  Yes,even police departments employ examiners where there are no laws and their training may be less than desireable.  I honestly believe that when examiners who lack the requisite skils that all examiners SHOULD possess become known, and there are addressable issues, organizations such as the APA and the AAPP DO take action.  They too are limited to when an examiner is a member, but at the very least correspondence is sent to the offending department so that perhaps proper training can be provided.  You seem like a reasonable person, think about what I have said and perhaps we can talk again. I think you would want your fellow officers to be honest...it is just the right thing to do.  I wish there was something PERFECT to do these jobs of screening,but right now, it would seem that polygraph performs that mission....sometimes we like it, sometimes we (yes, even examiners are digusted at some of the antics of those who profess to do the same work as we do).  If you prefer to engage in a private discusssion, feel free to leave me a message.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
drugs and LEO Background Disclosure

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X