Normal Topic CVSA case on CourtTV (Read 6268 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fred F.
Very Senior User

Get Educated.... Knowledge
is Power

CVSA case on CourtTV
Apr 15th, 2001 at 8:05pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
CourtTV had an interesting documentary Called "The Interrogation of Michael Crowe". This show pointed out how Escondido Police illegally obtained confessions by 14 yr old Michael Crowe and his friends that they murdered Michaels 12 year old sister. 

The detectives in this case coerced him into taking a CVSA test to help verify information. After watching this segment it is apparent that the CVSA is probably worse in terms of being "accurate" than a poly. After all if your voice has a certain "pattern" (a christmas tree shape) when analyzed, then you are not "deceptive". If a more flat pattern appears, then you are "deceptive". The CVSA is someones attempt to get rich with an instrument that will never be scientifically verified as accurate.

As a footnote, The defense attorneys found out that a transient was seen in the neighborhood knocking on doors the same night the girl was killed. He was in jail on another charge and investigators got the sweatshirt he was wearing and with DNA testing of blood stains found on it, discovered that the blood stains were Michael Crowes sisters, forcing the DA to drop charges in the case. The detectives went crying on radio saying that they conducted "clean, legal, and ethical"interrogations of Michael Crowe. They also stood behind the CVSA, claimimg it is accurate and that they still believe the boy did it. The DA never filed murder charges against the transient and Michael's parents have filed a federal lawsuit against Escondido PD and San Diego County

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: CVSA case on CourtTV
Reply #1 - Apr 15th, 2001 at 11:54pm
The Court TV website has a page on this story:

http://www.courttv.com/onair/shows/thesystem/g_p_episodes/interrogation_of_crowe...  

An additional page has video segments in RealPlayer format as well as other documentation:

http://www.courttv.com/onair/shows/mugshots/indepth/crowe.html

The following RealPlayer file provides Prof. Richard Ofshe's advice to innocent people facing interrogation by a police officer. The same advice is applicable to those who are asked to submit to CVSA or polygraph "tests" (which are little more than interrogations in disguise):

http://playlist.broadcast.com/makeplaylist.dll?SID=1242902
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2002 at 1:05pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box wannabe
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 23rd, 2001 at 11:51pm
after watching these poor children being tortured for hours, I have one question, how can this be allowed to continue in a so called civilized country????????????????????????????
God !! I am applying to a law enforcement agency and this sort of thing really makes me think twice as to if I want anything to do with it when I see things that make me think we are living behind an iron curtain that nobody sees......
I am truly saddened

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #3 - Jul 24th, 2001 at 12:12am
Gentlemen, 

Check out the Following Article:
http://www.abanet.org/genpractice/magazine/tpg/palmatr.html

This piece, from the American Bar Association's online magazine, ferrets out a lot of the "truth" behind CVSA.  First of all, the only tests concluding that the device is more accurate than flipping a coin were done by the manufacturer!  More importantly, it seems that the company actually made threats to derail a police department that had purchased the device from engaging in validity tests of it.  I find it amazing that any agency might actually rely on the results of the device.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2002 at 1:10pm
CourtTV has produced a new made-for-television movie about the Michael Crowe case. It shares the same title as the earlier documentary: "The Interrogation of Michael Crowe." The movie will air on Saturday, 7 Dec. at 8 PM (Eastern/Pacific) and Sunday, 8 Dec. at 6 PM (Eastern/Pacific). For details see:

http://www.courttv.com/movie/crowe/index.html

Tom Jicha of the South Florida Sun Sentinal reviews "The Interrogation of Michael Crowe" in a 4 Dec. 2002 column titled "Cops give third degree to teen in fact-based Court TV movie." Jicha writes, in part:

Quote:
The cops roll in a machine, which they tell Michael is a voice stress analyzer to see if he is lying. The device is a total sham, a creatively constructed set of lights and gauges with no more ability to detect lying than a Christmas tree. However, detectives tell Michael it indicates he is being deceptive when he says he had nothing to do with the murder and has no idea who might have committed it -- which turns out to be the absolute truth.
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2002 at 2:10pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

CVSA case on CourtTV

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X