Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) cvsa (Read 32295 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box False +
Senior User

Re: cvsa
Reply #30 - Feb 10th, 2002 at 1:58pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Rescue_Ranger,

I recently had occasion to observe a CVSA operator conduct an examination and I was able to view the screen of the CVSA laptop.

After each answer given, a graph appeared that bore many similar features to a frequency-domain representation of a voice signal. Is it simply an FFT (or FFT plus some added filtering) of the voice signal? I ask because you made reference to an HP Spectrum Analyzer in your post, so I assume you must have some signal analysis background (as do I).

If the backbone of CVSA is indeed the FFT, the CVSA industry is even more back-handed that the polygraph industry. It would then mean that a truthful "yes" or "no" is assumed to appear more sinusoidal, like a "pure tone", and not have any additional frequency components. There's absolutely no reason at all to believe that a truthful response couldn't have these additional components. WHAT A SHAM ALL THIS IS!!!!
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2002 at 12:20pm by False + »  
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Darrel

Reply #31 - Mar 6th, 2002 at 6:10am
I am the founder of a small, vocal, Freethinker/skeptical group here in the South and our local police station (city population 55,000), have purchased one or more of these CVSA programs. From what I have seen so far it appears to be  nonsense. I am researching an article for our local paper and for a lecture I am giving this weekend. I hope to interview the police about the device, perhaps tomorrow. I need some really good, the best, info roasting this stuff so I can do a good job of drawing attention to this waste of money.
   I emailed the "National Center for Truth Verification" who I think they bought them from ($10,000 a pop plus $1,600 per person per week for training). I asked them for any scientific, peer-reviewed evidence that their devices work, and asked them what they claim for accuracy. They have not responded. Our city is having a bit of a budget crisis and I am a little pissed that all this money has been spent on this nonsense.
   Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Darrel

ph. 479-442-6738

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Darrel

Reply #32 - Mar 6th, 2002 at 6:13am
My email is dardedar@aol.com

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #33 - Mar 6th, 2002 at 11:46am
The CVSA is an overpriced prop for interrogations. To my knowledge, there is no peer-reviewed research available regarding CVSA, and the only studies purporting to support its validity as a lie detector come from the manufacturer.

The best source I could refer you to is David T. Lykken's book, A Tremor in the Blood: Uses and Abuses of the Lie Detector (2nd ed., 1998). Chapter 11 deals with voice stress analysis.

On the Internet, you'll find details of some studies conducted by the Department of Defense Polygraph Institute on the following website:

http://www.voicestress.com 

It's amusing that the operator of the above site promotes the competing pseudoscience of polygraphy.

I'd be interested to hear how your presentation goes!

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Rescue_Ranger
New User

Would U pay $40 to control the output of CVSA test
Reply #34 - Mar 8th, 2002 at 7:31am
F+, you're correct.  Whether they're using FFT, IFT or DFT, the bottom line is it's pretty easy to look at and for additional 'stress' components.  I also think they're susceptible to high Signal to Noise, another interesting alternative.

Question to future CVSA subjects:  Would you pay $40 for small device that lets you control the output of a CVSA?
(need ~ 100 interested parties, or lower price for more units)
RR

Posted by: False +

I recently had occasion to observe a CVSA operator conduct an examination and I was able to view the screen of the CVSA laptop.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box antant00
New User

Reply #35 - Apr 1st, 2002 at 4:46am
yep pay $ 40.00 bucks just for the fun of it....and would hope it works...lol Shocked

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
cvsa

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X