Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) CBP Polygraph (Read 9846 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anotherguest

Re: CBP Polygraph
Reply #15 - Dec 26th, 2019 at 8:24pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Wow. I just read parts of TLBTLD and now I regret not doing so before going to take my poly a few months ago.  Make no admissions however minor they are.  That was the mistake I made. I made a few insignificant minor, as as the book said; they spun it out of proportions.  I really feel like I would of passed if I didn't say anything. Now I'm doubting if I should go back for another try in a couple of years. 

George W. Maschke wrote on Dec 26th, 2019 at 8:01am:
anotherguest,

As you'll note at page 128 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, we advise everyone against applying for any federal position that requires a pre-employment polygraph "test."

I think one is better off having just one failed polygraph on one's record than two.

For those who choose to ignore this advice, while I think applicants for positions of public trust have an ethical duty to answer relevant questions truthfully, they are under no obligation to volunteer irrelevant information, and are wise not to do so.

Bear in mind, however, that anything you've previously told your CBP polygraph operator is now a matter of record.

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Jan 11th, 2020 at 9:07am
Thank you, George!
I may or may not give it another shot in two years. I pulled this off their website. 

"The suitability information provided by and collected on applicants, including CBP polygraph exam results, will be kept for a minimum of two (2) years for use in future background investigations."

Would you happen to know if they'll refer back to the previous poly for any admissions if I take a new one. Seeing as they say, they'll keep it for that long for future background investigations; I'm leaning towards no, but I'm sure they could always access it. 

I wish I would of read  the book on here before my exam. I would of made no admissions. My admissions were so minor and had no significance to me, that it wouldn't have even bothered me if I didn't say it.  I feel like I failed because I gave them something to write. If I do go through it again in two years, I really don't want to give the same admissions again, but I'm not sure if they refer back to it, and might just come back to me and say, "Well you said this over two years ago.".   

Thanks! 

George W. Maschke wrote on Dec 26th, 2019 at 8:01am:
anotherguest,

As you'll note at page 128 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, we advise everyone against applying for any federal position that requires a pre-employment polygraph "test."

I think one is better off having just one failed polygraph on one's record than two.

For those who choose to ignore this advice, while I think applicants for positions of public trust have an ethical duty to answer relevant questions truthfully, they are under no obligation to volunteer irrelevant information, and are wise not to do so.

Bear in mind, however, that anything you've previously told your CBP polygraph operator is now a matter of record.

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 6:20am
just_me_again wrote on Jan 12th, 2020 at 2:01am:
I do not have any personal experience with the CBP.  However, when it comes to the U.S. Intelligence Community, if you "fail" the pre-employment polygraph, which they consider part of the background investigation (BI), they keep the records FOREVER and you are BANNED FOR LIFE.  I was told this by both the FBI (in writing) and by the CIA (over the phone) when I tried to reapply in 2017 after being rejected by both agencies some seven years prior.   You can re-apply, sure, but when you get to the stage when they run your name and SSN in their own system, it is game over.   Here is my story regarding reapplying after a failed poly or BI in 2017.

Yea, the record will become permanent. By how they word it, it seems like they won't use it anymore after a minimum of two years for any future investigations. There are a few posters on the Delphi BP forum who posted about failing 5 to 10 years ago; They reapplied after that amount of time and passed the poly the second go around.  By going off their experience, it seems like they don't use the failed poly against you. 

just_me_again wrote on Jan 12th, 2020 at 2:01am:
Unfortunately, polygraphers love these "minor admissions".  It gives them something to dig into.  Check out this thread from 2017 where the OP, fbx2, made a "minor admission" to spanking his cat, and was subsequently rejected for the job.  He may have had bad luck and his polygrapher was a member of PETA!  Next time, omit minor admissions, do not give the polygraphers ANY admissions.

Yea, the polygrapher ended up trying to dig into it, and making it seem like it was bigger than it was.... I held my ground and kept telling the polygrapher for almost two hours, that nothing else occused other than what I mentioned. Hopefully when I get the official email, I will have a chance to appeal it. If I do go through it again in a few years, I will definitely not add anything or repeat what I've already admitted to....

IP Logged

CBP Polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X