Normal Topic White House May (Or May Not) Resort to Lie Detectors to Identify Leakers (Read 4784 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

White House May (Or May Not) Resort to Lie Detectors to Identify Leakers
Aug 5th, 2017 at 8:39am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
On Friday, 4 May 2017, on the Fox News program Fox & Friends, presenter Steve Doocy asked President Trump's counselor Kellyanne Conway why they don't use lie detectors to identify who leaked the transcripts of President Trump's phone conversations with Mexican president Enrique Peña Nieto and Australian prime minister Malcolm Turnbull:

Quote:
Steve Doocy: Kellyanne, well you know, because it is a finite number of people who would have had access to those phone calls that the President made to those world leaders back in January, a week into his tenure... I heard a commentator say they know exactly who had access to it, so call in every person, and go ahead and run a lie detector on them. Why don't they do that?

Kellyanne Conway: Well they may, and if-- they may, they may not. There are many different ways to discover who's leaking.

Conway seemed to downplay the possibility of a polygraph dragnet for leakers, while not ruling it out.

Gersh Kuntzman at the New York Daily News has a column on why lie detector "tests" for White House employees is a dumb idea:

Quote:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/lie-detector-tests-white-house-employee...

Kellyanne Conway can strap me onto a machine right now, because I’m not lying when I say this: Friday’s threat by the White House to use lie detectors against the staff to find leakers is the most outrageous thing I’ve heard from an administration that makes outrageous statements all day long.

We already know that President Trump is a horrendous boss — that was my angle last month when he turned his own attorney general into a publicly thwacked piñata.

But using lie detectors against one’s own employees is not only stupid — polygraphs aren’t admissible anyway — but it will backfire: suddenly, the employees you don’t trust will no longer put any trust in you.

Most important: It never works.

All administrations dating back to President Reagan have used polygraph tests against some senior intelligence officials who had access to classified information. But as both Reagan and President Obama well learned, the leaks kept coming.

Obama was so appalled by the leaks that his Director of National Intelligence James Clapper expanded the use of polygraph testing — but even he stopped short of ordering testing on White House employees.

Trump should follow Clapper’s lead and back down. Hiring an employee, then demanding a polygraph is the human resources equivalent of waterboarding (which we know Trump likes, after all).

Another reason it’s an awful idea? Richard Nixon wanted to do it in hopes of diverting attention from, you guessed it, a scandal (Watergate) and onto something that wasn’t a scandal at all, but was actually helping to save our democracy (leakers).

Nixon wanted “everyone” in the State Department strapped to a polygraph.

“Little people do not leak,” he told John Ehrlichman and H. R. Haldeman in the Oval Office on July 24, 1971. “This crap ... is never-ending. I studied these cases long enough and it's always the son-of-a-b---h that leaks.”

When a third aide, Bud Krogh, tried to dissuade the President by reminding him that polygraph tests are inadmissible and civil servants can refuse, Nixon exploded.

“I don't give a good goddamn about that,” he said. “It's more important to find the source of these leaks, rather than worry about the civil rights of some bureaucrats.”

In the end, the henchman-President revealed his larger goal.

“I don't know anything about polygraphs, and I don't know how accurate they are, but I know they'll scare the hell out of people,” Nixon said.

And that’s all President Trump wants: to scare his underlings into serving him, rather than our democracy. Without leaks, the public can’t know what’s going on inside the White House — except for what the President puts on Twitter.
« Last Edit: Aug 5th, 2017 at 8:55am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ex Member
God Member

Re: White House May (Or May Not) Resort to Lie Detectors to Identify Leakers
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 2:06pm
George W. Maschke wrote on Aug 5th, 2017 at 8:39am:
And that’s all President Trump wants: to scare his underlings into serving him, rather than our democracy. Without leaks, the public can’t know what’s going on inside the White House — except for what the President puts on Twitter.

This was written by a partisan hack. He would advocate the polygraph as a godsend had Obama wanted to do the same.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #2 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 3:20pm
Ex Member wrote on Aug 6th, 2017 at 2:06pm:
George W. Maschke wrote on Aug 5th, 2017 at 8:39am:

This was written by a partisan hack. He would advocate the polygraph as a godsend had Obama wanted to do the same.

He may (or may not) be a partisan hack. But he's not wrong.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ex Member
God Member

Reply #3 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 3:58pm
How do you know he is not wrong about Trump wanting to "scare his underlings"? Do both you and he have insight into the President's motivations?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #4 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 4:26pm
No, of course, I can't read our President's mind, just his Twitter posts. I was referring more to the latter sentence you quoted. In fairness, I see no indication that President Trump has threatened his staff with lie detector "testing," and I don't think Kellyanne Conway really did, either.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

White House May (Or May Not) Resort to Lie Detectors to Identify Leakers

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X