Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) LAFAYETTE POLYGRAPH NO LONGER SELLING CONVERUS EYEDETECT (Read 34971 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dan Mangan
God Member

Re: LAFAYETTE POLYGRAPH NO LONGER SELLING CONVERUS EYEDETECT
Reply #30 - May 29th, 2017 at 1:27am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Quote:
Our customers clearly understand EyeDetect's error rates, and that they MUST be taken into account before using the tool to ruin someone's life.

That reminds me of an oft-used expression:

"Let's give him a fair trial, then hang him."

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Neal Harris

Reply #31 - May 29th, 2017 at 1:42am
They are probably now in rapid development now of a eye sensor that they can integrate into what they have presently. I bet you the customers are demanding it! ...Even if the sensor only works to some degree, it would discourage the customer base from defecting and augmenting with EyeDetect.  You can be sure that ALL  polygraph manufacturers, schools, and other interested parties are going to end up in the same room coming up with legitimate ways to discredit or eliminate EyeDetect.

We had discussions with Lafayette on this topic.  Also, Bruce White told me at NPA two years ago that he could buy a $100 sensor and have a solution for his Acciton instrument.  After I met with Canadian government officials, I heard that they gave $200K to Limestone to integrate an eye tracker.  I have not been able to confirm this rumor, so I don't know for sure.

The USG spent $40 million on AVATAR.  The eye trackers and software were primitive by today's standards.  Ocular Motor was one of the most promising elements of AVATAR according to their researchers.  Ultimately, their funding stopped, and they have not been able to raise funding to build a commercial product to the best of my knowledge.  Investors don't like to invest in products build for the government, because they know it's a tough sell...

So, again, I agree completely with your assessment.  But we know how hard it is to build the algorithms and all the back end infrastructure.  Our engineers are mostly from Ancestry.com and Mediconnect - both were commercial successes.  We've spent millions of $, written over a million lines of code, and learned a lot.  We already have the algorithms for the polygraph physiological data.  As I posted earlier, Dr. Kircher built them under contract with the NCCA.  We could easily add them to EyeDetect if the science supported improved accuracy rates.   

As for the polygraph companies getting together to rally against EyeDetect, I guess this is a possibility.  But from what I've seen, there is a lot of bad blood between these companies.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Tom Tesslin

Reply #32 - May 29th, 2017 at 1:51am
Thanks Dan

That was a great quote.  I hope you win the APA election as I think they are at a turning point.  You probably are the best one to try and turn that ship around. 

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #33 - May 29th, 2017 at 1:54am
Quote:
Dan and Tom:  I would need to consult with Dr. Kircher on the likely accuracy for a fidelity test.  We have not discussed it to date.

Neal, run this real-life scenario by Kircher and the other ivory tower academicians at Converus...

Hernando is doing 10 to 15 for attempted murder. He nearly killed his wife in a rage over her alleged infidelities. 

Hernando's parole has been approved. Soon, he will return to the community.

Hernando's girlfriend needs a "test" to prove she has been faithful to him during his incarceration.

Could EyeDetect be counted on to produce 86% accuracy in this case?

If not, why not?

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #34 - May 29th, 2017 at 2:05am
Quote:
Thanks Dan

That was a great quote.  I hope you win the APA election as I think they are at a turning point.  You probably are the best one to try and turn that ship around. 

Tom, I appreciate your support, but I suspect the fix is in -- at least in a manner of speaking.

That's how them APA good ol' boys roll, IMHO.

There's simply too much at $take for the newly elected APA prez to reveal the truth about the "test", which is what I'd do.

It's complicated, but you can start to learn more here: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/special-reports/article24749260.html

IP Logged

Reply #35 - May 29th, 2017 at 2:07am
With no disrespect intended, you are in sales, you have nothing to lose for the most part. If things do not work out at Converus, you can  jump on to the next craze in technology and show the same enthusiasm as you have demonstrated here.

Ha Ha - everyone hates sales people.  I am used to it and I have thick skin.  I have been extremely lucky in sales.  I went to Silicon Valley in 1990 and spent the next 22 years working for SynOptics/Bay Networks, Ascend Communications, Packet Engines, and Foundry Networks/Brocade.  These  4 companies were very successful.  If I only wanted to make money, I would go and work with my buddies at Nvidia, Arista Networks, or Palo Alto Networks.   

I am working at Converus to try and make the world a better place for my kids.  I'm not content to just complain about the abuses of polygraph; I want to be part of the solution.  It is doubtful that I will work full-time again when my tenure at Converus is over.  Most of you reading this will likely try to make that happen!  There have been insinuations that sales people will sell their souls to make a quick buck and couldn't care less about the human impact.  For me, that is just not the case.

This post certainly opens me up to a lot of abuse, but that's OK.  Bring it on.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #36 - May 29th, 2017 at 2:19am
Quote:
I am working at Converus to try and make the world a better place for my kids.

By helping to peddle a "mind hack" with precious little in the way of field studies?

That is some sad shit.

IP Logged

Reply #37 - May 29th, 2017 at 3:29am
By helping to peddle a "mind hack" with precious little in the way of field studies?  That is some sad shit.

Dan:

Sorry you feel I am a sad case and have sold my soul. 

I just looked at your website again.   It says you do PCSOT exams for a living, which is a screening test.  I don't understand how you can rail against polygraph on this site and also do it  for a living.  What am I missing?   

And why so much anger?  I have tried to be polite.  You may view me as misguided, but can't the posts be civil? 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #38 - May 29th, 2017 at 5:16am
Quote:
Lafayette Polygraph, the #1 provider of polygraph to the military and federal agencies is no longer offering Coverus EyeDetect for sale on its site.  I failed my only polygraph with the government several months ago and went to that site to look something up about the LX4000. McClatchy news in DC had an article about defects with this system.  My Border Patrol friend who was at PSP with me many years ago said that he noticed Lafayette launched a new site and removed all references to EyeDetect.  It is interesting as Converus is staffed with the same people with the same mindset. Since polygraph is about power and money it seems odd. I am attaching the press release he sent. He told me EyeDetect is nothing more than a Microsoft surface tablet with a special add on that monitors your eye  movement.  He does not think the feds will go with it long term as there is no interviewing component and it has that gadget type impression. I would agree with him that being hooked up to a LX 4000 or 5000 is far more scary than looking at some tablet.  Have my interview set up with PSP and they are no longer using polygraph for pre-employment as they had too many inconclusive results and complaints to state legislators regarding questions on the exam.

Tom,

Thank you for sharing this information. I had been unaware that Lafayette has terminated its relationship with Converus. If anyone has further information about the reasons for this termination, I would be interested to learn more about this.

I think your friend's view that the feds will not adopt EyeDetect long term because of the lack of an interrogation component may well be correct. Interrogation is the primary component of polygraphy, and that's reflected in the great amount of time spent on interrogation in polygraph schools.

Regarding Pennsylvania State Police commissioner Tyree C. Blocker's wise decision to scrap the polygraph, see also this Citizens' Voice editorial:

Quote:
http://citizensvoice.com/opinion/smart-move-on-polygraph-tests-1.2143162

Smart move on polygraph tests

The Editorial Board / Published: January 18, 2017

Polygraphs are known euphemistically as “lie detectors,” but they more accurately might be described as “nervousness detectors.” The machines do not magically uncover lies; they collect physical data from subjects as they respond to questions, most often under stressful conditions. Examiners then interpret the data and render opinions on whether the subject was truthful.

Test results famously are inadmissible as evidence in court for a very good reason — they are not reliable, much less definitive.

Numerous experiments over many years have shown that accomplished liars can defeat the nervousness detectors.

There is no reason to believe that the tests are any more reliable when administered in the course of job applications. So state police Commissioner Tyree C. Blocker is on the mark in eliminating polygraph tests for prospective cadets applying to the State Police Academy.

The troopers’ union objected to the decision, contending that it eliminates a useful tool in screening applicants for integrity.

Yet, the academy’s 144th class graduated only 49 of its original 113 members last year due to a wide-ranging cheating scandal. All of the suspected cadets presumably had passed the lie detector tests to gain entry to the academy, indicating that the process is no better at determining integrity than at detecting specific lies.

Many police agencies administer the tests in screening applicants, but there is no evidence that those agencies produce better officers as a result.

The New Jersey State Police and New York City Police do not administer polygraph tests to recruits and they are effective forces.

Blocker did not announce a specific reason for ending the polygraph tests, although The Philadelphia Inquirer reported that he was concerned about the tests slowing the hiring process at a time when the agency is struggling to fill the ranks due to a surge of retirements.

Eliminating the tests will require the state police to rely on more concrete indicators of applicants’ quality, and that is not a bad thing.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #39 - May 29th, 2017 at 5:40am
Quote:
The other key is to be significantly better than the alternative solution.  Techies call this the 10x rule.  Antipolygraph.org highlights the deficiencies of polygraph and calls for it to be eliminated.  Well, how has that worked out so far?  How long has this site been up and what progress has been made?

Neal,

AntiPolygraph.org has been online since 18 September 2000. The progress that we've helped to make is in public education about polygraphy. We've made accurate information about polygraphy (including the "secrets" that the polygraph community doesn't want the public to know) available to all. We've also documented how the polygraph can be trivially defeated using simple countermeasures, and we've documented that fact that the polygraph community is unable to detect such countermeasures.

We've helped convince many people not to submit to polygraph "testing," and we've helped many polygraph victims understand why it's not their fault, but rather that they are the victims of a state-sponsored pseudoscientific fraud.

Banning polygraphy from the American workplace will require broad public understanding that it's a sham. So our focus remains on public education.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

God Member

Reply #40 - May 29th, 2017 at 11:09am
Actually, Neal, all of my PCSOT work these days is consultation, i.e., quality assurance reviews of exams run by so-called "forensic psycho-physiologists." I have yet to review a PCSOT exam -- or any other polygraph "test" for that matter -- that wasn't fatally flawed.

You asked about anger... I am angry in large part because of the enormous amount of collateral damage, primarily in the form of false-positive "test" results, that takes place in the polygraph field. For the last few years I have tried to bring some reform to the APA, but to no avail. 

Try to remember, Neal, that even if Converus' claim of 86% accuracy is true, for the tens of thousands of tests administered, there are thousands of victims. How can that not bother you? Do you write off those victims for the "greater good"?

It is unfortunate that you took offense to my use of the phrase "sad shit," which is an army expression I picked up in basic training 40-something years ago. I thought I read a post of yours that said something about having a thick skin, but I could be mistaken.

Neal, you came to this site on your own volition. (I'm surprised that the management types at Converus haven't told you to stand down, but that's another story.) If you want to run with the big dogs here at AP, you'll have to put up with some barking.

IP Logged

Reply #41 - May 29th, 2017 at 12:15pm
Dan
Converus management probably has no idea he is even on this site. I dealt with white collar criminals for the better part of my career before being transferred into intelligence section.  Harris is like many of those con men I dealt with that are relentless.  They wear people down and keep counterpunching as that is how they survive and reach his or her objectives. While I am sure Harris is no criminal, his behavior patterns mimic the ones I am referring to.   From an investigative opinion, for which I was fortunate to be able to retire from due to having in 25 years, despite the only polygraph failure I had, he is desperate for information.  He probably came to this site as a last resort and not realizing the background of the posters.
When I made my first post, it contained the May 17th press release from Lafayette ending the business relationship. When you use the wayback machine to look at the Converus website and view Partners, Lafayette was listed all over the place to include foreign countries. When you look at it now, it is much different. The only partner that is listed more than once is Ruiz Protective Services in TX.  Most of the partners are in foreign countries and no strong U.S. presence. Losing Lafayette probably brought the house down in Utah. This reseller deal gave them instant credibility.  George M made a comment on one of my posts regarding federal usage.  I think all of that will stop once President Trump learns that Mark Cuban is a major investor in Converus.  For those on the site that do not know the history, Cuban has political aspirations and goes after Trump every chance he gets as he is angry over Clinton losing.  Harris came to this site for one reason only, and that was to obtain information that could help sell EyeDetect and possibly pick up some other data of value. He is no other interest in this site other than that.  Posting a photo of himself with Mark Cuban should also tell you something.

IP Logged

Reply #42 - May 29th, 2017 at 12:35pm
George
Thank you for your reply.  The only way to get more information is to have an insider at Lafayette open up. I am sure that is probably low.  Since we have many private polygraph schools I am sure one of them know what happened. It is hard to keep something like that quiet as in my experience someone always talks!  As we both know Lafayette QUIETLY underwrites many of the private schools, especially the one in Atlanta GA.  I suspect something bad happened, and more than just once during the usage of EyeDetect. I doubt they told Converus the whole truth either. That Harris guy probably did everything possible to prevent them from making that decision. My guess would be an exam was conducted and the polygraph was in conflict with EyeDetect or vice versa. Also I think since there is no Inteview or Interrogation component to EyeDetect that was also creating some conflict in techniques and methodology.   
They must have made a significant investment as it was on the website and they had collateral brochures promoting it.  We  may never know the real reason but it certainly was a major blow as it sent a message from the IBM of the polygraph manufacturers, " Your Fired ".  But then again maybe someone will read these posts and decide to post something about it.

IP Logged

Reply #43 - May 29th, 2017 at 2:47pm
I suspect something bad happened, and more than just once during the usage of EyeDetect.

Nope.  Since we are cloud based, we know when every test is administered.  Lafayette does not run tests - their partners or customers run them.

I doubt they told Converus the whole truth either.

Yes, it is certainly possible that Lafayette did not tell us everything that went into their decision.  That is their right.

That Harris guy probably did everything possible to prevent them from making that decision.

Nope, I was merely informed of their decision.  That's all.  I clearly understood the impact, but it's not like they asked for my opinion before making the decision.   

My guess would be an exam was conducted and the polygraph was in conflict with EyeDetect or vice versa

EyeDetect and polygraph both have error rates, so of course there will be cases of misalignment.  Lets assume two tests are 86% accurate.  .86 x .86 = .74; so if the test questions were identical the agreement rate should be 74% and the disagreement rate should be 26%.  Many examiners view polygraph as ground truth and 100% accurate, so they will dismiss any misalignment as "EyeDetect doesn't work".  We understand this, but there isn't much we can do about it.

Also I think since there is no Inteview or Interrogation component to EyeDetect that was also creating some conflict in techniques and methodology.   

EyeDetect is a tool to gather eye data, just as a polygraph instrument gathers other physiological data.  Whether our customers interview to extract additional information after an EyeDetect test is up to them.  Since the test is completely automated, we do not train examiners on interview and interrogation techniques.  There are many others that train on I&I.  I can't comment on whether Lafayette viewed this as a conflict in methodology.  I don't know why they would, but I guess it is possible.

They must have made a significant investment as it was on the website and they had collateral brochures promoting it. 

This is incorrect.  Putting a photo and pricing on a website costs next to nothing.  Printing a few brochures doesn't cost much.  Lafayette sold part of their inventory, and we have offered to buy back their remaining inventory.  We certainly don't want them to lose money.

IP Logged

Reply #44 - May 29th, 2017 at 2:58pm
George:

I feel I owe you an apology.  Although it was not my intent, I feel that my post marginalized your contributions.  I was trying to point out that your end goal of eliminating polygraph in the workplace needs much more support if it is ever be realized.   

My view is that alternative technologies that limit the human abuses might be a step forward.  Obviously, your readers disagree.  So, perhaps you should make it clear that you are against any credibility assessment technology, period.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
LAFAYETTE POLYGRAPH NO LONGER SELLING CONVERUS EYEDETECT

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X