Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) How do I appeal a failed polygraph? (Read 20321 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box FBI Applicant

How do I appeal a failed polygraph?
Apr 10th, 2017 at 7:37pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hello! I applied for an FBI internship a few years ago, but failed the polygraph and didn't get the job. I was frustrated and disappointed, but didn't think about it for awhile. Only today I found out that failing the test means I could be barred from other Federal jobs and even local government jobs, which is a problem because I want to apply for some. So how can I appeal the polygraph and retake it? 

Now that I know polygraphs are complete BS, I'm especially frustrated that I allowed the FBI to administer one to me without full knowledge of the procedure, possible results (50% false positives?!) or consequences. I feel like I put my life in the hands of a mad doctor, and he replaced my blood with nuclear waste.

IP Logged

Re: How do I appeal a failed polygraph?
Reply #1 - Apr 10th, 2017 at 8:02pm
Or maybe I should say I feel like I went to a doctor for an appendectomy and they did a lobotomy by mistake.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Wandersmann
Very Senior User

Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 1:57am
Quote:
Or maybe I should say I feel like I went to a doctor for an appendectomy and they did a lobotomy by mistake.

No, if they gave you a lobotomy you would be a high ranking FBI official by now.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box xenonman
God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #3 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:39am
Quote:
Hello! I applied for an FBI internship a few years ago, but failed the polygraph and didn't get the job.

I had, as many readers know already, a similar problem with a summer "intern" program at the CIA.  Fortunately, the CIA is so much of a law unto itself, that not being hired there will have no effect whatever on employment at other federal agencies.

I don't know if that's also the case with the FBI.  Although there are theoretical channels of appealing an adverse personnel decision , you'd probably just be wasting your time.

I'm assuming that the polygraph was mandatory for the internship for which you applied, and that the Bureau had you sign a statement to that effect before you were polygraphed.   Roll Eyes

What do we call it when every employee of the Agency's Office of Security
and Office of Personnel drowns in the Potomac?   A great beginning!

The best intelligence community employee is a compromised IC employee!
YouTube  
IP Logged

God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #4 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:43am
Wandersmann wrote on Apr 11th, 2017 at 1:57am:
No, if they gave you a lobotomy you would be a high ranking FBI official by now.

...or maybe CIA Station Chief in Havana?   Cheesy Grin

YouTube  
IP Logged

God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #5 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:45am
Quote:

It could have been worse -- you might have been given a penectomy by mistake!   Cheesy Grin

YouTube  
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 4:46am
xenonman wrote on Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:39am:
I don't know if that's also the case with the FBI.  Although there are theoretical channels of appealing an adverse personnel decision , you'd probably just be wasting your time.

I'm assuming that the polygraph was mandatory for the internship for which you applied, and that the Bureau had you sign a statement to that effect before you were polygraphed.   Roll Eyes

The internship was mandatory, yes, but I don't remember much else because of how much time has passed. Can you tell me where to find these theoretical channels, if it's possible at all? I don't suppose I can file a lawsuit for malpractice, or is there something similar?

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 4:47am
Also thanks for the jokes - you guys are funny =D

IP Logged

God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #8 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 3:23am
Quote:
Can you tell me where to find these theoretical channels, if it's possible at all? I don't suppose I can file a lawsuit for malpractice, or is there something similar?

There must be some internal mechanism for appealing adverse personnel actions.  I'd suggest looking at the Bureau website as a start.

To the best of my knowledge, most federal courts have tended to allow the "three-letter" agencies pretty much full autonomy as far as their personnel policies and actions are concerned. Sad

YouTube  
IP Logged

God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #9 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 3:27am
Quote:
Also thanks for the jokes - you guys are funny =D

It's important to keep a sense of humor, in the face of adversaries who have none!   Roll Eyes

YouTube  
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #10 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 7:48am
Quote:
So how can I appeal the polygraph and retake it?

Unfortunately, there is no appeal process for applicants who "fail" federal pre-employment polygraph "tests."

What you can do at this point is to file a Privacy Act request with the FBI for all records pertaining to you. You'll want to know what, if any, admissions your polygraph operator may have attributed to you. Polygraphers have an incentive to inflate or even fabricate admissions, because they are rated based on their post-test admission/confession rates.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #11 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 3:16pm
George W. Maschke wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 7:48am:
What you can do at this point is to file a Privacy Act request with the FBI for all records pertaining to you.

This is an excellent idea.   The info. obtained as a result of such a request will prove particularly informative if a background check (BI) was also conducted on you.  It may be that, in your case, the BI was actually more problematic than the polygraph.  You can learn a lot from the BI report.  There may be more persons out there that dislike you than you might have expected, or individuals that were interviewed during the BI and provided derogatory info. about you, whom you in fact barely knew!  Fortunately for you, the FBI will include polygraph results in response to PA requests, whereas the CIA refuses to do so.  Shocked

YouTube  
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Wandersmann
Very Senior User

Reply #12 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 3:59am
Quote:
xenonman wrote on Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:39am:

The internship was mandatory, yes, but I don't remember much else because of how much time has passed. Can you tell me where to find these theoretical channels, if it's possible at all? I don't suppose I can file a lawsuit for malpractice, or is there something similar?

Forget the lawsuit unless you have a relative or close friend that is an attorney.  I spoke with an attorney specializing in these matters after I had my problem with the poly.  Having lost my livelihood the attorney told be I needed to come up with some major five figure initial payment to file suit and be prepared to spend several hundred thousand to see it through.   Huh  I'll bet you thought they were serious when you had to say the pledge of allegiance that ends in, with liberty and justice for all.  IT used to be but is no longer.  It should be changed to with liberty and justice for all who can afford it.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Io

Reply #13 - Apr 18th, 2017 at 5:59pm
I wouldn't bother appealing. 
I suppose it may, possibly, be a good idea to have it on record that you disagree with the results of the polygraph (depending on what they "dinged" you for--I will take a wild guess and assume it was supposed former drug use).
The appeal is simply a formality--they certainly won't let you retake it, after all this time, and the "results," as read by the FBI, would be exactly the same, even if you did take another one. It is entirely in their interest to pretend that this method is consistent and results are repeatable.  If they claimed you failed the first time, do you really want two "failed" polygraphs on your record?

Sorry to be pessimistic here, but this is how the FBI operates. The polygraph is simply a way to create jobs for incompetents who would not otherwise have them (the operators).

Your best bet is to file a FOIA to find out what other government agencies would have access to your polygraph results. You won't get a straight answer from the FBI without a FOIA. You may not get a straight answer with a FOIA. Hey ho.

I heard somewhere that failing an FBI polygraph doesn't preclude employment with the CIA. 
But, like everything involving polygraphs, I'm sure this varies entirely on a case to case basis. If you have particular skill that is in demand, your polygraph will magically show that you are telling the truth. 

If I were you, I'd forget it, don't appeal, and move forward with whatever other agency you're trying for (though I don't know why you'd want to take another polygraph, knowing what they are.) You'll find out soon enough if they have access to the FBI record on you. If not, don't make waves. The government can be astoundingly incompetent--left hand doesn't know what the right is doing.

IP Logged

God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #14 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 6:21am
Quote:
I heard somewhere that failing an FBI polygraph doesn't preclude employment with the CIA.

That is one area where it helps that the CIA is such a law unto itself when it comes to employment matters, as well as everything else.   Since they operate in their own world, applications made at other agencies will likely have little impact.

Of course, as I suggested previously, it will be very helpful for you to file PA/FOIA requests, and see if factors other than the polygraph may have derailed your internship.   Roll Eyes

YouTube  
IP Logged

How do I appeal a failed polygraph?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X