Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) American Polygraph Association Elections: Race for president-elect pits Daniel Mangan against Patrick O'Burke (Read 104608 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dan Mangan
God Member

Re: American Polygraph Association Elections: Race for president-elect pits Daniel Mangan against Patrick O'Burke
Reply #210 - May 5th, 2016 at 2:05pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Ark, while a more tactful approach may open a few more doors, I doubt it would have much of an effect on the cult-like zeal that dominates the APA.

Remember, this is the same outfit that peddled the myth of 98.6% field accuracy for 15 years -- 10 of them after the devastating NAS report.

In my opinion, the APA lives in a bubble the likes of which are seldom seen in other professional organizations. The group feeds itself on its own self-serving propaganda while looking askance at reality, similar to the operational models of many faith-based religions.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Drew Richardson
Especially Senior User

Re: American Polygraph Association Elections: Race for president-elect pits Daniel Mangan against Patrick O'Burke
Reply #211 - May 6th, 2016 at 12:42pm
Dan,

The overwhelming probability that you are unlikely to become the APA president is neither particularly surprising nor particularly important.   

While you are sharing with this community (essentially anyone in the whole world sufficiently motivated to search the subject on the Internet) of the substantial weaknesses of lie detection, you are not only speaking in opposition to the financial interests of the polygraph community, but you are presumably speaking in opposition to YOUR OWN financial interests.

I do not depend on the outcome of any of the above to evaluate lie detection, but for the typical visitor to this site (an individual who has no real basis for evaluating technical arguments as to the pros and cons of lie detection), one who claims to represent truth, and, by doing so, works to the detriment of his own financial well being has to be taken seriously.

I don't care how serious you are about seeking election, but if that is a useful vehicle, continue to use it for sharing the truth about the polygraph community and its practices.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dan Mangan
God Member

Reply #212 - May 6th, 2016 at 3:44pm
Dr. Richardson,

I appreciate your thoughts on this matter.

Clearly, my motives as a polygraph consultant are not financially oriented. I'd say that less than ten percent of the inquiries I receive are converted into actual business.

The main reason for such a low conversion rate is simple: When prospective clients are candidly informed of the risks, realities and limitations of the "test," they either lose interest entirely or find an examiner whose claims about polygraph are more in line with their own twisted perceptions.

On the other side of the coin, some individuals who have been victimized by the "test" seek me out in hopes of finding a remedy, and I have been successful in that regard. By the way, those cases can be most telling of the ethics (or lack thereof) on the part of the examiner who administered the original "test."

As for continuing my efforts to become APA president-elect, I agree that such candidacy forays provide me with a platform, albeit limited, by which I can appeal to APA members to temper their financial motivations, think critically for themselves, and do the right thing.

But hey, I'm a realist. That noble mission is proving to be an uphill slog, and I appear to be well on my way to becoming the Harold Stassen of APA politics.

But I'm okay with that.

Why? Because the record will continue to show that this rogue member of the APA is not afraid to speak truth to power, tell the unvarnished truth about the "test," and strive to bring about reforms that are long overdue.

For me, that's reward enough.

Dan

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Joe McCarthy
God Member

Tiocfaidh ár lá

Reply #213 - Jun 15th, 2016 at 12:58am
SPECIAL POLYGRAPH EPISODE, PART 2

Seems I have cut a nerve in Texas, Lets see is I can cut a wee deeper

Seems the truth can be hard to swallow in Texas, but now I know I have their attention.  I have had three, very angry phone calls about last nights show.  What was their review, well, lets just say, it was strong.

There was also some discussion on anti trade, and anti competitive issues and that as APA members, I thought this behavior was frowned on. 

If they were pissed at what I said last night, well, lets just say I won't be driving a convertible or washing dishes next to the kitchen window anytime soon; especially with the treats I have had in the past from Texas Association of Polygraph members.

Also we I'll be talking about his Dan is actually right about a few things.  I know the texans will be listening.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/maxprovocateur/2016/06/15/special-polygraph-episode...

Joe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
American Polygraph Association Elections: Race for president-elect pits Daniel Mangan against Patrick O'Burke

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X