Sticky Topic DIA Countermeasure Case Files (Read 7210 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

DIA Countermeasure Case Files
Apr 19th, 2015 at 9:35am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
As noted on the blog, AntiPolygraph.org has obtained and published a set of leaked Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) "confirmed countermeasure" case files:

https://antipolygraph.org/blog/2015/04/18/leaked-documents-point-to-dias-inabili...

These cases provide insight into the kind of activity that results in accusations of countermeasure use. Such activities are broadly: 1) anything that affects the seat pad or foot pad tracings (like using a tack in one's shoe, pressing one's toes to the floor, or pressing down on the polygraph chair's arm rests with one's arms) and 2) deep breathing.

Nothing in the case files suggests any ability to detect the kinds of countermeasures outlined in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector or in Doug Williams' manual, How to Sting the Polygraph.

The DIA countermeasure case files suggest that the countermeasures being "detected" at DIA are largely those performed by individuals who haven't done their homework, and that actual spies, saboteurs, or terrorists who do understand polygraph procedure and proper countermeasures are unlikely to be caught.

Because DIA's countermeasure "detection" techniques are the same as taught to other federal agencies, the shortcomings associated with DIA's countermeasure detection efforts are likely to exist with respect to other federal agencies as well.

Questions? Comments?

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box busted

Re: DIA Countermeasure Case Files
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2015 at 2:45pm
George, where did you get this file from?  Interesting stuff in here.  Let me tell you what happened to me a while back, I got caught by the CIA using countermeasures (CMs).  I posted my story a while back, see my old thread here:
https://antipolygraph.org/cgi-bin/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1308954994/45#52

I denied it of course and ever confessed to using CMs, but they knew.  I have myself to blame because I used CMs incorrectly.  The test was a relevant/irrelevant test.  I used breathing CMs during the irrelevant questions which was a big mistake (TLBTLD page 151).  I'm not sure what they saw on the charts about my breathing, but since those tubes measure breathing, it makes sense that they saw something.  When I used mental countermeasures, correctly, at a later polygraph elsewhere, I passed with ease.   Don't bother with breathing CMs folks, even if you can do it right, it is too risky since breathing is monitored no matter how you look at it.  Nothing monitors your mental thoughts, that would be impossible, so use mental CMs.  I personally like to ask myself a specific question about something really naughty I've done in the past that nobody knows about so that I create that reaction spike.

I agree that when an agency says they caught someone using countermeasures, the person has to admit to using for this to be the case.  Otherwise, it is all subjective and the spikes in the chart can be chalked up to applicant nervousness, health problems, or something else.  In all the polys I've taken, I am ALWAYS accused of hiding something or using CMs.  Polygraphers do this to EVERYONE, to see if you will fold and confess to doing so.  It is part of the routine, nothing new here.  Rule #1 about taking a poly: Never confess to anything!  I'm pretty sure many other applicants have had their polygraph charts look similar to these, but they never confessed to using CMs or anything and probably ended up "passing"!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2015 at 6:22pm
Quote:
George, where did you get this file from?

I won't comment on the source of the DIA countermeasure case files other than to say that I'm confident that they are genuine.

By the way, this story is currently on the front page of Slashdot:

http://science.slashdot.org/story/15/04/19/1423208/dia-polygraph-countermeasure-...

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box xenonman
God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2015 at 3:40pm
George W. Maschke wrote on Apr 19th, 2015 at 9:35am:
As noted on the blog, AntiPolygraph.org has obtained and published a set of leaked Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) "confirmed countermeasure" case files:

https://antipolygraph.org/blog/2015/04/18/leaked-documents-point-to-dias-inabili...

These cases provide insight into the kind of activity that results in accusations of countermeasure use. Such activities are broadly: 1) anything that affects the seat pad or foot pad tracings (like using a tack in one's shoe, pressing one's toes to the floor, or pressing down on the polygraph chair's arm rests with one's arms) and 2) deep breathing.

Does DIA routinely polygraph all applicants now?
Nothing in the case files suggests any ability to detect the kinds of countermeasures outlined in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector or in Doug Williams' manual, How to Sting the Polygraph.

The DIA countermeasure case files suggest that the countermeasures being "detected" at DIA are largely those performed by individuals who haven't done their homework, and that actual spies, saboteurs, or terrorists who do understand polygraph procedure and proper countermeasures are unlikely to be caught.

Because DIA's countermeasure "detection" techniques are the same as taught to other federal agencies, the shortcomings associated with DIA's countermeasure detection efforts are likely to exist with respect to other federal agencies as well.

Questions? Comments?

What do we call it when every employee of the Agency's Office of Security
and Office of Personnel drowns in the Potomac?   A great beginning!

The best intelligence community employee is a compromised IC employee!
YouTube  
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box xenonman
God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #4 - Jun 17th, 2015 at 3:42pm
Does DIA routinely polygraph all its applicants now?

What do we call it when every employee of the Agency's Office of Security
and Office of Personnel drowns in the Potomac?   A great beginning!

The best intelligence community employee is a compromised IC employee!
YouTube  
IP Logged

DIA Countermeasure Case Files

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X