Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Is It a Crime to Provide or Receive Polygraph Countermeasure Training? (Read 175301 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ex Member
God Member

Re: Is It a Crime to Provide or Receive Polygraph Countermeasure Training?
Reply #45 - Sep 7th, 2013 at 4:08pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
pailryder wrote on Sep 7th, 2013 at 10:44am:
The fiction that cm's are for use by the truthful has been exposed. 

Your point is valid; I admit that countermeasures could be used by some with nefarious intentions. 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Doug Williams
Especially Senior User

Reply #46 - Sep 7th, 2013 at 4:17pm
Ex Member wrote on Sep 7th, 2013 at 4:08pm:
The fiction that cm's are for use by the truthful has been exposed. 

Your point is valid; I admit that countermeasures could be used by some with nefarious intentions. 

The word "countermeasures" can only be used to describe polygraph chart manipulation by the subject of a polygraph "test" when two conditions are met: 1) The polygraph "test" must be proven to be 100% accurate and reliable as a "lie detector", and 2) the person is attempting to deliberately lie.  There is never a case where BOTH of these conditions are met.

In other words, you could only claim "countermeasures" are being used to thwart the polygraph operator's ability to detect deception IF the polygraph is able to detect deception accurately 100% of the time and that that deception would be detected were it not for the use of "countermeasures" by a person intent on being deceptive.

But, since many people know that just telling the truth only works half the time - i.e. the US Supreme Court, and the NAS report, among others, saying it is no more accurate than the toss of a coin - then a prudent person would try to mitigate the very strong probability of being falsely branded as a liar by learning how to produce a "truthful" chart.  That would not be using "countermeasures" - that would be using common sense!  

And in honor of PAILFACE, here are some more of those emoticons you love so much....

Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue  Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2013 at 9:41pm by Doug Williams »  

I have been fighting the thugs and charlatans in the polygraph industry for forty years.  I tell about my crusade against the insidious Orwellian polygraph industry in my book FALSE CONFESSIONS - THE TRUE STORY OF DOUG WILLIAMS' CRUSADE AGAINST THE ORWELLIAN POLYGRAPH INDUSTRY.  Please visit my website POLYGRAPH.COM and follow me on TWITTER @DougWilliams_PG

Doug Williams
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #47 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 1:43am
Dear Mr. Williams,

The rumors of your demise have been  greatly exaggerated (Gee, did someone like Mark Twain say that already?).

An awful trickbag that this sticky-wicket has been caught in. Admit that countermeasures exist and by default, admit that the test can be beaten. Try to claim that "countermeasures" can be detected seems counterproductive in the fact that using them would be useless and need no defense or mention. 

The failure ratio of new applicants is approaching 70% for applications requiring clearances with letters.  My goodness, we are throwing away seven out of ten applicants without even starting a background check.

The Emperor does not have to worry about not having any clothes because there are not people to witness and watch the parade!

The only reason that this is not a problem is because the government is not hiring at this point.

The trust in our government is at an all time low. The blind trust placed in a polygraph examination is being questioned.  The charade is difficult to justify.

Wow, hard to think that the agencies still have such blind trust in this gizmo.  I guess we need more security breaches to prove that the polygraph will not prevent the next leak.

Regards.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Aunty Agony
Very Senior User

Reply #48 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 4:52am
Posters to this forum who try to present a reasoned argument, supported by evidence or at least testimony, only to face what purport to be responses but are in fact mere argument-like noises, must wonder what overall effect is on the hearts and minds of lurkers and casual readers.

George, Doug, Arkhangelsk, Sergeant1107: be not discouraged. As a neutral and somewhat disinterested observer, I must say that I find the arguments by Arkhangelsk and the points raised by Sergeant1107 to be reasonable and credible, while the unsupported assertions by quickfix and pailryder are bald and unconvincing blather.

-AuntyAgony.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Reply #49 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 12:33pm
Aunty Agony

Please cite a specific post where I made unsupported assertions.

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box quickfix
Especially Senior User

Reply #50 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 1:48pm
Ex Member wrote on Sep 7th, 2013 at 3:08pm:
Quickfix, are you finally stepping up to the countermeasure challenge? 

Arkhangelsk:  no professional examiner would take this "challenge" seriously;  it would be nothing more than a carny sideshow;  it doesn't meet the criteria for a valid exam.  There is no crime under investigation, no applicant pending employment, so there are no consequences for the outcome of such a "challenge".

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #51 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 3:31pm
quickfix wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 1:48pm:
Ex Member wrote on Sep 7th, 2013 at 3:08pm:
Quickfix, are you finally stepping up to the countermeasure challenge? 

Arkhangelsk:  no professional examiner would take this "challenge" seriously;  it would be nothing more than a carny sideshow;  it doesn't meet the criteria for a valid exam.  There is no crime under investigation, no applicant pending employment, so there are no consequences for the outcome of such a "challenge". 

The whole concept of the polygraph being used as a "lie detector" is "nothing more than a carny sideshow"!  This is an excerpt from my book, FROM COP TO CRUSADER:  THE STORY OF MY FIGHT AGAINST THE DANGEROUS MYTH OF "LIE DETECTION".

"I had studied the history of the men who created this insidious machine known as a "lie detector"; John Larson and Leonarde Keeler. Both of these men also suffered as a direct result of their association with and use of the so-called lie detector. John Larson, a serious scholar with a PhD in science, is credited with being the inventor of the “lie detector". He spent many years trying to prove 
that the polygraph was scientifically valid as a method to detect deception. He was unsuccessful in doing that; and as a result, at the end of his life he went mad and fell into a deep state of despair. 

Just before he died, Larson is quoted as saying, “Beyond my expectation, thru uncontrollable factors, this scientific investigation became for practical purposes a Frankenstein’s monster, which I have spent over forty years in combating.” Leonarde Keeler, Larson’s protégé, and self proclaimed inventor of the first polygraph machine was later despised by Larson because he considered Keeler to be a shameless self promoter who had turned the polygraph into a carnival sideshow. Larson, who did not want to the polygraph to be widely used until he had tested it and proved that it was scientifically valid and reliable, was troubled by Keeler’s unsupported claims that the polygraph could detect deception. In fact, near the end of his life, Larson was writing a book that he claimed would expose Keeler as a thief and a liar who had stolen the ideas of others, and put his name on a polygraph machine that he had not created. He planned to expose Keeler as con man who had turned the polygraph into a carnival sideshow, and a shameless self promoter who promoted his Keeler polygraph machine on “cheese-cake type news interviews”."

I have been fighting the thugs and charlatans in the polygraph industry for forty years.  I tell about my crusade against the insidious Orwellian polygraph industry in my book FALSE CONFESSIONS - THE TRUE STORY OF DOUG WILLIAMS' CRUSADE AGAINST THE ORWELLIAN POLYGRAPH INDUSTRY.  Please visit my website POLYGRAPH.COM and follow me on TWITTER @DougWilliams_PG

Doug Williams
IP Logged

God Member

Reply #52 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 5:40pm
quickfix wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 1:48pm:
There is no crime under investigation, no applicant pending employment, so there are no consequences for the outcome of such a "challenge". 

Such is the case for all studies accomplished in polygraph research. You are tap dancing Quickfix; if you can indeed detect countermeasures, prove it and put us in our place once and for all.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #53 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 5:43pm
What sank Mr. Dixon was the fact that he was guilty and admitted it! 

Pailryder, here is an example of your argument-like noise. It was a total dismissal of my previous point without any kind of counter-argument; it was sophomoric.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #54 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 11:07am
Arkhangelsk

Ex Member wrote on Sep 7th, 2013 at 3:52am:
It is possible to give countermeasure training to someone without knowing a single detail about their intentions or past history. Not quarantining himself from the details was his downfall

I agree with your point.  If Mr Dixon had maintained deniability, he could have helped many more drug smugglers and child molesters without facing criminal charges.

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #55 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 3:13pm
pailryder wrote on Sep 9th, 2013 at 11:07am:
If Mr Dixon had maintained deniability, he could have helped many more drug smugglers and child molesters without facing criminal charges. 

This is pure emotional speculation. A similar assertion could be made that if a sex offender feels confident that he will not be falsely accused of being a liar, he would be more positive about his treatment. Also, are drug smugglers really lining up to infiltrate the CBP? If the polygraph is indeed the panacea for crime, why not use it in all cases? Heck, maybe the NSA could just polygraph us all?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Aunty Agony
Very Senior User

Reply #56 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 3:32pm
Ex Member wrote on Sep 9th, 2013 at 3:13pm:
Heck, maybe the NSA could just polygraph us all?

Bite your tongue!

-AuntyAgony.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #57 - Sep 10th, 2013 at 3:39am
Aunty Agony wrote on Sep 9th, 2013 at 3:32pm:
Arkhangelsk wrote on Yesterday at 3:13pm:
Heck, maybe the NSA could just polygraph us all?

Bite your tongue!

-AuntyAgony.

But then again, could they really know who is using countermeasures? Oh my, such a vexing conundrum it is...   Cool

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #58 - Sep 10th, 2013 at 4:49pm
Arkhangelsk

Ex Member wrote on Sep 9th, 2013 at 3:13pm:
are drug smugglers really lining up to infiltrate the CBP

Yes, Arkhangelsk.  Groups with members inside an institution often instruct outside friends, relatives, baby moms, or anyone looking to make a quick buck, to apply for any work, correctional, janitorial, food service, medical, anything to get a pipe line in and out and a leg up on the other gangs. 

No one thinks of polygraph as a panacea to stop all crime, but over time it has proven to be an effective tool when properly used.
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2013 at 5:34pm by pailryder »  

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #59 - Sep 12th, 2013 at 1:17pm
PAILFACE says: "No one thinks of polygraph as a panacea to stop all crime, but over time it has proven to be an effective tool when properly used."

If that isn't a prime example of doublespeak, I've never seen it!  What does this mean? "over time it has proven to be an effective tool when properly used".  I can see that the polygraph is an "effective tool", if by "tool" you mean a psychological billy club that will coerce a person into confessing.  But how can something that is proven to be less than 50% accurate be "properly used"? 

Oh, I almost forgot your favorite part!  I know how you love your emoticons PAILFACE - here you go little buddy... 
Huh Roll Eyes Tongue

Doug Williams
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Is It a Crime to Provide or Receive Polygraph Countermeasure Training?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X