Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Is It a Crime to Provide or Receive Polygraph Countermeasure Training? (Read 175299 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Is It a Crime to Provide or Receive Polygraph Countermeasure Training?
Reply #30 - Sep 1st, 2013 at 6:29pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Ex Member wrote on Sep 1st, 2013 at 6:13pm:
As soon as I heard of this, I knew it would backfire on them. The antipolygraph community owes a debt of gratitude to the Customs and Border Protection Polygraph Unit for advancing our cause more than we could ever have imagined. 

I nominate Special Agent John R. Schwartz, head of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Internal Affairs Credibility Assessment Division, as Antipolygraph Person of the Year.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #31 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 1:16pm
A number of court filings in U.S. v. Chad Dixon have become available through PACER. I've purchased them all and have posted them here:

https://antipolygraph.org/litigation.shtml#dixon

Sentencing in the case is scheduled for 9 AM this Friday, 6 September 2013.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anonymous guy

Reply #32 - Sep 3rd, 2013 at 4:48am
After reading these findings what is your take on this? Do you think he should be prosecuted?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #33 - Sep 3rd, 2013 at 9:34am
Quote:
After reading these findings what is your take on this? Do you think he should be prosecuted?

It seems to me that the government has overreached in its prosecution of Chad Dixon, fabricating a crime to pin on him where there had been no prior evidence of any crime. He was targeted for prosecution, and a trap set, because the feds are vexed that people are learning how to pass the polygraph (which is not a crime).

In short, I think a zealous prosecutor overcharged to compel a plea agreement in a case that would have been very risky at trial. Public reaction to the Dixon prosecution has been overwhelmingly against the government. I don't think this has been wise or judicious use of investigative resources or taxpayer dollars, and I think that no public good will come from Chad Dixon's incarceration.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #34 - Sep 3rd, 2013 at 9:53am
Fox 25 investigative reporter Phil Cross reports on polygraph policy and the federal government's efforts to target for prosecution those who teach others how to pass a polygraph. In preparing these reports, Cross spoke with Doug Williams and retired FBI special agent and polygraph examiner Bill Brown:

http://www.okcfox.com/story/23320312/lie-detector-questioned-as-federal-spending...

http://www.okcfox.com/story/23320427/polygraph-crusader-under-federal-investigat...

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #35 - Sep 6th, 2013 at 6:34pm
Judge Liam O'Grady today sentenced Chad Dixon to eight months in prison for teaching people how to pass a polygraph "test":

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2013/09/06/201372/coach-in-polygraph-trial-sentenced....

As I mentioned earlier, I think that the prosecution of Chad Dixon was unwarranted and has serious implications for free speech rights. It should be noted that our government's misplaced reliance on the pseudoscience of polygraphy, and it's unwillingness to come to terms with its vulnerability to simple, undetectable countermeasures, has caused, and continues to cause, much greater harm to national security and public safety than anything Chad Dixon ever did.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Doug Williams
Especially Senior User

Reply #36 - Sep 6th, 2013 at 6:50pm
George W. Maschke wrote on Sep 6th, 2013 at 6:34pm:
Judge Liam O'Grady today sentenced Chad Dixon to eight months in prison for teaching people how to pass a polygraph "test":

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2013/09/06/201372/coach-in-polygraph-trial-sentenced....

As I mentioned earlier, I think that the prosecution of Chad Dixon was unwarranted and has serious implications for free speech rights. It should be noted that our government's misplaced reliance on the pseudoscience of polygraphy, and it's unwillingness to come to terms with its vulnerability to simple, undetectable countermeasures, has caused, and continues to cause, much greater harm to national security and public safety than anything Chad Dixon ever did.

Right George, and here is a link to the Washington Post for another story about this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/eight-months-in-prison-for-man-who-taught-se...

I love what the judge who sentenced Dixon, Judge O'Grady, said in the last part of the article.

The McClatchy news organization reported last month that Dixon’s case was part of a broader federal effort to discourage possible criminals and spies from getting government jobs using polygraph countermeasures. The case also reignited a national debate on the accuracy of polygraph testing — a debate that played out in court Friday, when O’Grady seemed to deride the accuracy of the tests. 

“They’re very useful tools,” O’Grady said, “until you turn the machine on.”

I have been fighting the thugs and charlatans in the polygraph industry for forty years.  I tell about my crusade against the insidious Orwellian polygraph industry in my book FALSE CONFESSIONS - THE TRUE STORY OF DOUG WILLIAMS' CRUSADE AGAINST THE ORWELLIAN POLYGRAPH INDUSTRY.  Please visit my website POLYGRAPH.COM and follow me on TWITTER @DougWilliams_PG

Doug Williams
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #37 - Sep 6th, 2013 at 8:02pm
The DOJ's press releases on the sentencing of Chad Dixon, which ironically seems to have been first published online by the DoD IG, all but admits that polygraph countermeasures are effective:

http://www.dodig.mil/IGInformation/IGInformationReleases/IndianaManSentenced_201...

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ex Member
God Member

Reply #38 - Sep 7th, 2013 at 3:52am
It is clear from the relatively light sentence and the judge's comments that he knew this was a dirty case. IMHO what sank Mr. Dixon was the planting of the egregious details (sex offenders allegedly hiding crimes, drug smuggling into jails etc.) and then becoming a party to the "cover up."

It is possible to give countermeasure training to someone without knowing a single detail about their intentions or past history. Not quarantining himself from the details was his downfall.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Reply #39 - Sep 7th, 2013 at 10:44am
Arkhangelsk

What sank Mr. Dixon was the fact that he was guilty and admitted it!  The fiction that cm's are for use by the truthful has been exposed.

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box quickfix
Especially Senior User

Reply #40 - Sep 7th, 2013 at 1:00pm
It also exposes the fiction that CMs can't be detected.  See the attached Washington Post article for Saturday 7 Sept

article09072013_0000.pdf ( 1400 KB | Downloads )

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #41 - Sep 7th, 2013 at 1:29pm
Quickfix,

The Washington Post article you cite does not document any ability of the polygraph community to detect countermeasures. All it shows is that an applicant accused of using countermeasures confessed.

In 2012, CBP accused 6% of applicants polygraphed of using countermeasures. Even if those 6% were selected at random from among those polygraphed, without reference to the charts, it's likely that some of those accused would indeed have used countermeasures, and some of these might make admissions when interrogated.

It seems to me that the existence of Operation Lie Busters is evidence against any claimed ability of the polygraph community to detect countermeasures. If countermeasures were indeed detectable, there would be no need to go after Chad Dixon or Doug Williams. Countermeasure training wouldn't matter. Those who use countermeasures would be detected.

The government's keen interest in obtaining Dixon's and Williams' business records, in addition to the acknowledgement by the government that some of those trained by Dixon went on to pass their polygraphs, does not suggest that the government is confident in its ability to detect countermeasures. It suggests the opposite.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box quickfix
Especially Senior User

Reply #42 - Sep 7th, 2013 at 2:56pm
Spin it any way you want, George.  People used CMs, people got caught, people confessed.  CMs are detectable.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #43 - Sep 7th, 2013 at 3:06pm
pailryder wrote on Sep 7th, 2013 at 10:44am:
What sank Mr. Dixon was the fact that he was guilty and admitted it! 

Had he isolated himself from the egregious details, he would not have been prosecuted.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #44 - Sep 7th, 2013 at 3:08pm
quickfix wrote on Sep 7th, 2013 at 2:56pm:
Spin it any way you want, George.People used CMs, people got caught, people confessed.CMs are detectable. 

Quickfix, are you finally stepping up to the countermeasure challenge?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Is It a Crime to Provide or Receive Polygraph Countermeasure Training?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X