Normal Topic Unconscious brain reaction (Read 4968 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box wildfire 320

Unconscious brain reaction
Mar 29th, 2013 at 12:50am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Today my husband had to take a polygraph test and he "failed" it.  It was explained to him by the examiner that there is a "switch" in your brain that  unconsciously puts a person back into the situation that they did and that is how the brain shows you are lieing. He said that an innocent person does not go back to a place that they haven't been.  I could see this as a truth being a student of Psychology myself.  However, my question is could the fact that my husband relived what he was being accused of because it was in our own home.  Several dozen times he played out the story step by step to others to show that it was not possible.  Could the playing out of it to others unconsciously made his brain think he was actually there?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Unconscious brain reaction
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2013 at 1:13am
Pardon my French, but the polygrapher's story about a "switch in the brain" is complete and utter bullshit that he pulled out of his ass. The polygraph measures respiration, skin conductance (or resistance), heart rate and blood pressure (kinda sorta). It doesn't measure brain activity. And in any event, none of the indices recorded by the polygraph are correlated with deception in a systematic way.

It's pointless to try to divine why an invalid procedure (polygraph "testing") may have produced inaccurate results. It's like trying to determine why a coin toss turned out heads instead of tails.

See The Lie Behind the Lie Detector for a documented debunking of polygraphy:

https://antipolygraph.org/lie-behind-the-lie-detector.pdf

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box wildfire_320
New User

Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2013 at 1:32am
Your french is just fine!  Smiley I understand what you are saying with body reactions being measured.  I remain in the school of thought that a vast array of situations could alter a polygraph test. However, I do believe that our bodies react unconsciously to situations.  So, if that is what is measured, not actual brain activity but body reaction; Could his brain have cause his body to react when asked the question because he had "relived" it so many times?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2013 at 1:34am
Sure, but any number of other factors, including examiner bias, could also have influenced the outcome of the polygraph examination.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box wildfire_320
New User

Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2013 at 2:14am
That I very much agree with.  I do believe he was very biased. He made the statement to my husband that he was there to help "people like him." To me that is a red flag that he stereotyped him before he even did the examination. He said that he works with several psychologists so that he can "understand people who lie." However he possess no degree in this.  That is the school of thought that nurture wins out over nature. However, that is not the case, who a person is is affected by both.  I also found out after the test that the person that administered it, was himself a police officer in the same county and has lived here all his life.  Could that not be a conflict of interest? He was not an outside unbiased source to begin with, he interacts with other officers on a daily bases.

IP Logged

Unconscious brain reaction

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X