Normal Topic How do I use countermeasures? (Read 6850 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Blaspheme
New User

How do I use countermeasures?
Jan 2nd, 2013 at 8:15pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I have a poly tomorrow, and I need to know how to employ countermeasures. Any and all help is appreciated, thanks Smiley

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: How do I use countermeasures?
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 7:08am
See Chapters 3 & 4 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector:

https://antipolygraph.org/lie-behind-the-lie-detector.pdf

Note that if your polygraph is in connection with a criminal investigation, you would be wise to cancel the appointment, obtain legal counsel, and not speak with investigators without your lawyer present.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box tacticaljimmy

Reply #2 - Apr 17th, 2013 at 9:52pm
Why would you get a reaction doing a complex math problem? what would you be feeling?

for pre-employment poly if I don't admit to anything but they say my reactions show "evasive" can I get in trouble either criminally or with my current job? (police)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ex Member
God Member

Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 2:05am
Quote:
Why would you get a reaction doing a complex math problem? what would you be feeling?

You touch upon a profound topic. It has to do with mental work and I would assume there would be no associated feelings. So the real question is why does mental work precipitate a reaction?; what are the exact psycho-neurological mechanisms? This is precisely where polygraphy breaks down--without knowing the nature of these mechanisms, there cannot exist a theory for the detection of deception.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 11:35am
Arkhangelsk

A simplistic and confused answer.  A theory for the detection of deception by psychophysiological measurement certaintly exists for both information based tests and deception based tests.  May not be correct and is open to question and improvement, but it exists.  Consider Dr. Lyyken's explanation of CIT in A Tremor in the Blood.

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #5 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 2:20pm
pailryder wrote on Apr 23rd, 2013 at 11:35am:
A theory for the detection of deception by psychophysiological measurement certaintly exists for both information based tests and deception based tests.

I'm all ears, please elaborate on this theory.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #6 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 5:33pm
Arkhangelsk

Have you read Lyyken's book?

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #7 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 7:34pm
Is this how you slip away from the hot seat by telling somebody to go read a book? 

If you want to dwell on Lyyken, in his address to the 1991 Convention of the American Psychological Association, he states:

"The early hominids no doubt learned to lie soon after they first learned to speak. They did not, however, evolve a unique, involuntary response that signaled they were lying, because that would have been maladaptive."

The word "unique" is key to my previous post.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #8 - Apr 24th, 2013 at 11:03am
Arkhangelsk

Lyyken's CIT does not rely on a unique response, only salience to the key item.   

Not to dwell on Lyyken, but the CIT is the most easily understood of the polygraph techniques.  You really should read his book.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Drew Richardson
Especially Senior User

Reply #9 - Apr 24th, 2013 at 7:11pm
Pailryder,

You are correct that David Lykken, for more than half a century, and now (David's former graduate student and a leading psychophysiologist in his own right, e.g., former past president of the Society for Psychological Research) Bill Iacono have made invaluable contributions to our understanding of the theory (plausible and implausible) of various polygraphic applications.  

Having known David for the last 25 years of his life, having spoken to him frequently during that time, being more than familiar with the two editions of A Tremor in the Blood, and having testified as an expert witness with Bill Iacono on several occasions, I can assure you that neither of these gentlemen have ever commingled information-based and lie-detection polygraphic examinations.  

There exists a solid foundation for the former and precious little/none for latter.  Best Wishes...
« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2013 at 7:34pm by Drew Richardson »  

IP Logged

How do I use countermeasures?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X