Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) A visit from the UK (Read 11389 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Richard

A visit from the UK
Jun 12th, 2012 at 9:20am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hi,

I'm from the UK and just stumbled across this website by accident.

Here we have no such thing as polygraph tests - in fact most of the population wouldn't know what the word means!

UK society seems to work quite well without such things.

Certainly any pre-employment test of any sort would be found insulting and laughable. Job interviews and perhaps the taking up of references from prior employers are the norm.

(I believe that maybe one or two firms operate drug tests here - but I'm not totally sure about this)

So how the heck did lie detectors come to be used in the US?

And the key question: why do people put up with it?

I find it even more odd because America is supposed to be the land of the free and to be a population of driven dynamic people ... not a population of people who submit to taking lie detector tests. 

Whatever happened to trusting people?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box quickfix
Especially Senior User

Re: A visit from the UK
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2012 at 7:58pm
It's called "trust but verify".  But let's not forget your country invaded ours twice in order to quash our quest for democracy (and got your asses kicked both times).  Democracy?  Which country has a "queen" and a "royal" family?  And which country sent out press gangs to fill their Navy ranks?  Oh, let's also not forget the flogging of sailors and "kissing the gunner's daughter". You can take your idea of democracy and your queen and shove them both up your ass.
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2012 at 8:17pm by quickfix »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box stefano
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2012 at 9:43pm
If it is verified, then it is not trust. If I put a tail on my wife to make sure she's not cheating, am I verifying my trust in her?  Undecided

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 12th, 2012 at 10:28pm
quickfix wrote on Jun 12th, 2012 at 7:58pm:
You can take your idea of democracy and your queen and shove them both up your ass. 

Bill, want to reconsider the sociopath opinion? Other choices could include:

antisocial personality, insane person, lunatic, mad person, maniac, mental case, nutcase, psycho, psychotic, schizoid, unstable personality, or just plain asshole.

Actually, Quickfix does a great service to this website--accurately demonstrating the genre of "professionals" who have the con on this instrument.

I encourage you and pailryder to switch sides; both of you could really help to rectify these inequities and probably double your income in the process.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill_Brown
Very Senior User

Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 4:24am
Stefano,

I am without words on this one.  Guess 6/18/1812 is with us too this day in some persons.  I just hate brands.  I'm sure quickfix will respond and possibly clarify.   

Richard, 

polygraph is used in the UK by your government.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box quickfix
Especially Senior User

Reply #5 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 7:03pm
Bill:not sure what you need clarification on.  A British national offering his two cents on something he is not subject to, and doesn't even know polygraph is used on some Brits.  Comparing his country to ours concerning citizens' rights?  A country whose naval officers used to flog their sailors for minor offenses?  Don't get me wrong, I like the Brits as much as anyone, but his holier than thou spiel required a reply, and thanks to freedom of speech, we can do that in this country.  As for Stefano, I guess it's "Doctor" Stefano now.  Congrats, I didn't know you have a degree in psychiatry.  Able to make a psychiatric diagnosis right over the web!  Wow, former examiner, psychiatrist; what else, lawyer, too?  You sound very similar to one of our former examiners, asked to leave our program for sub-standard performance.  He declared, "I will bring down polygraph!" as he carried his personal possessions out the door.  Very similar to you, always has to have the last word on any thread posted.  Keep up the good work dispensing your "expert" advice.  You give us a good laugh up here every day with your jibberish.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 7:30pm
No I am not a former disgruntled polygrapher. Asking me if I have been to polygraph school is like asking the Commander of the Space Shuttle if he has a private pilot's license.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Reply #7 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 7:54pm
stef

You know that shuttle doesn't fly anymore.

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 8:26pm
pailryder wrote on Jun 13th, 2012 at 7:54pm:
You know that shuttle doesn't fly anymore. 

Better to keep your job as a polygrapher; your wit is running dry.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 8:55pm
It's kind of amusing that when they run out of sound arguments, that they resort to Eddie Haskell-ism.
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2012 at 10:43pm by »  

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 10:46pm
quickfix wrote on Jun 13th, 2012 at 7:03pm:
You give us a good laugh up here every day with your jibberish. 

Yes, I can imagine all of you chortling away in the corner of the donut shop, puffing on Pall Mall non-filters with your Crown Victorias in the parking lot.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Reply #11 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 11:46pm
steffels

If you want to discuss stale takes, lets start with your donut shop references.  You use that in every other post.

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 12:01am
Quote:
I find it even more odd because America is supposed to be the land of the free and to be a population of driven dynamic people ... not a population of people who submit to taking lie detector tests.

I agree. I'm astonished that these applicants submit themselves to this humiliating experience, then walk away defeated and broken. 

You probably have realized by now that this forum has a peanut gallery of sophomoric polygraphers who, lacking an effective argument, deteriorate into a rabble. Your comments are welcome here regardless of your country of origin or opinion.
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2012 at 1:20am by »  

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 12:05am
Pailryder, 

I was serious about my recommendation that you switch sides. You would make a lot more money and reverse this process of morphing into a cantankerous old shell.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 1:23am
pailryder wrote on Jun 13th, 2012 at 11:46pm:
If you want to discuss stale takes, lets start with your donut shop references.You use that in every other post.

Sometimes you just come across a keeper!  Wink

IP Logged

A visit from the UK

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X