Normal Topic Could my marriage be a determining factor? (Read 5820 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Generator
New User

Could my marriage be a determining factor?
Jun 6th, 2008 at 3:20am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hi,

I met a person for the first time after I returned to my birth country.  I fell deeply in love with this person, even though I was in denial that I was in love with this person.  It wasn't until a year later that I re-visited this person and found out she had the same feelings for me.

Long story short, I am now married with this person.  My parents do not know about it, nor do her parents, the reason being I am related to this person, we are cousins.   

I've been preparing myself to be a law enforcement officer, and I honestly can not imagine myself in another profession anymore.   I will soon be graduating with a business degree and have began the process to apply, and my number one department to apply to asks, "Have you had any sexual contact with any relative?"

The answer to that is obvious, but I do not want this to be a determining factor in anything.  I have a squeaky clean background, I'm not some freak, I don't have any psychological issues I'm a normal man who had a normal life.  I've been extremely successful at the top level in the world in a sport I've participated in (I will not mention to not reveal my identity), what I'm trying to say is I'm not insane.

Do you think this could be a determining factor?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Re: Could my marriage be a determining factor?
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 8:12am
Quote:
Long story short, I am now married with this person.  My parents do not know about it, nor do her parents, the reason being I am related to this person, we are cousins. 

Well, just tell them the truth.

Is this LE agency in West Virginia?

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nopolycop
Especially Senior User

Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 7:01pm
Generator wrote on Jun 6th, 2008 at 3:20am:
Hi,

I met a person for the first time after I returned to my birth country.  I fell deeply in love with this person, even though I was in denial that I was in love with this person.  It wasn't until a year later that I re-visited this person and found out she had the same feelings for me.

Long story short, I am now married with this person.  My parents do not know about it, nor do her parents, the reason being I am related to this person, we are cousins.  

I've been preparing myself to be a law enforcement officer, and I honestly can not imagine myself in another profession anymore.   I will soon be graduating with a business degree and have began the process to apply, and my number one department to apply to asks, "Have you had any sexual contact with any relative?"

The answer to that is obvious, but I do not want this to be a determining factor in anything.  I have a squeaky clean background, I'm not some freak, I don't have any psychological issues I'm a normal man who had a normal life.  I've been extremely successful at the top level in the world in a sport I've participated in (I will not mention to not reveal my identity), what I'm trying to say is I'm not insane.

Do you think this could be a determining factor?

Answer in the affirmative;  Yes, my wife... (Which is the truth, of course, and so the little poly gremlins that hide in the recesses of your brain won't rat you out).  BTW, I doubt if that question will even be on the poly, it sounds like a question from the background package.

Good luck.

"Although the degree of reliability of polygraph evidence may depend upon a variety of identifiable factors, there is simply no way to know in a particular case whether a polygraph examiner's Conclusion is accurate, because certain doubts and uncertainties plague even the best polygraph exams."  (Justice Clarence Thomas writing in United States v. Scheffer, 523 U.S. 303, 118 S.Ct. 1261, 140 L.Ed.2d 413, 1998.)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box BestMan7

Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 9:41pm
     Hello,

It depends where you married your wife, and if you violated the law there in doing so. Her age at the time, and your age at the time.  What her relationship to you is as 1st cousin, 2nd cousin, etc.  In most States, 1st cousins are forbidden to marry primarily based on the high probability of mongoloid children being produced.  Otherwise, most copy have a wife and an ex-wife and they won't short change you from having one either !!!!  Be honest with them as they will take into consideration cultural differences in whatever part of the world you come from, and are probably more concerned about whether you ever beat her / domestic violence. 

Good Luck

IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Jun 7th, 2008 at 5:06pm
I thank you all for your replies, of course I will be honest, that is why I am concerned.   

The number one department I want to apply for has a question on the pre-employment polygraph packet, "Have you ever had any sexual contact with any relatives?"

Now, the answer to that is obvious, I do not need to go further into details.  However, I'm not some sicko guy.  I met her for the first time when I was 18 (she was 19).  We were both in denial with ourselves that we were in love until I visited her again a year later.  Our families don't know about it, yet.

I pulled up the legislative family statutes of the country in which we were married in.  It is NOT illegal, it is not a crime committed if two first cousins marry, however, if found out, it will be considered invalid UNLESS the court decides to consider it valid (they can bend the law how they want) or the wife is pregnant or a family is already created.

So the way I interpreted the law (reading it in the native language) and in the translated version, there is no crime committed or any punishment.

The only thing I could be facing is the background investigator assuming I am psychologically not fit.

Upon a lot of research, I found out that it is actually normal for relatives to reunite or meet for the first time and fall in love.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #5 - Jun 16th, 2008 at 1:33pm
T.M. Cullen wrote on Jun 6th, 2008 at 8:12am:
Quote:

Well, just tell them the truth.

Is this LE agency in West Virginia?

TC

It is the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #6 - Jun 16th, 2008 at 1:43pm
Quote:
     Hello,

It depends where you married your wife, and if you violated the law there in doing so. Her age at the time, and your age at the time.  What her relationship to you is as 1st cousin, 2nd cousin, etc.  In most States, 1st cousins are forbidden to marry primarily based on the high probability of mongoloid children being produced.  Otherwise, most copy have a wife and an ex-wife and they won't short change you from having one either !!!!  Be honest with them as they will take into consideration cultural differences in whatever part of the world you come from, and are probably more concerned about whether you ever beat her / domestic violence. 

Good Luck

We are both Armenian, I was two years old moving to the states.  It is not a common practice or even socially accepted in Armenia.

However, we are both two consenting adults, we did not break any laws.

My concern is whether there is a possibility that could be taken into consideration in any discriminatory way.  It is not something we tell people, we keep it private.  The only people that know are my very close friends.  It is something that is actually insignificant for us as we did not even see or even ever speak with each another until we were adults.

If at all, this has honestly made me a stronger individual.  I had wanted to be a police officer for a long time, but it was sort of a "taboo" subject in my home, but after this I have realized that I live my life for myself (and now also my wife) and I will do in my life what will make us happy, not do what my parents want.

I just turned 20, so I am kind of young, and although age is usually a good indicator of maturity, it is not an absolute indicator.  My marriage with her was not in a "run off and do one of those immature marriages" thing.

I will be graduating in about two years and I hope this doesn't cause a problem, if it seems like it will, I think I will just have to apply to a department which doesn't ask the question.

IP Logged

Could my marriage be a determining factor?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X