Normal Topic U.S. Border Patrol to Begin Pre-Employment Polygraph Screening (Read 37205 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

U.S. Border Patrol to Begin Pre-Employment Polygraph Screening
May 27th, 2008 at 5:32am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
In "Border Agents, Lured by the Other Side," New York Times reporters Randal C. Archibold and Andrew Becker write that in an effort to stem corruption, the U.S. Border Patrol plans, among other things, to begin polygraph screening of applicants:

Quote:
SAN DIEGO — The smuggler in the public service announcement sat handcuffed in prison garb, full of bravado and shrugging off the danger of bringing illegal immigrants across the border.

“Sometimes they die in the desert, or the cars crash, or they drown,” he said. “But it’s not my fault.”

The smuggler in the commercial, produced by the Mexican government several years ago, was played by an American named Raul Villarreal, who at the time was a United States Border Patrol agent and a spokesman for the agency here.

Now, federal investigators are asking: Was he really acting?

Mr. Villarreal and a brother, Fidel, also a former Border Patrol agent, are suspected of helping to smuggle an untold number of illegal immigrants from Mexico and Brazil across the border. The brothers quit the Border Patrol two years ago and are believed to have fled to Mexico.

The Villarreal investigation is among scores of corruption cases in recent years that have alarmed officials in the Homeland Security Department just as it is hiring thousands of border agents to stem the flow of illegal immigration.

The pattern has become familiar: Customs officers wave in vehicles filled with illegal immigrants, drugs or other contraband. A Border Patrol agent acts as a scout for smugglers. Trusted officers fall prey to temptation and begin taking bribes.

Increased corruption is linked, in part, to tougher enforcement, driving smugglers to recruit federal employees as accomplices. It has grown so worrisome that job applicants will soon be subject to lie detector tests to ensure that they are not already working for smuggling organizations. In addition, homeland security officials have reconstituted an internal affairs unit at Customs and Border Protection, one of the largest federal law enforcement agencies, overseeing both border agents and customs officers.

When the Homeland Security Department was created in 2003, the internal affairs unit was dissolved and its functions spread among other agencies. Since the unit was reborn last year, it has grown from five investigators to a projected 200 by the end of the year.

Altogether, there are about 200 open cases pending against law enforcement employees who work the border. In the latest arrests, four employees in Arizona, Texas and California were charged this month with helping to smuggle illegal immigrants into the country.

While the corruption investigations involve a small fraction of the overall security workforce on the border, the numbers are growing. In the 2007 fiscal year, the Homeland Security Department’s main anticorruption arm, the inspector general’s office, had 79 investigations under way in the four states bordering Mexico, compared with 31 in 2003. Officials at other federal law enforcement agencies investigating border corruption also said their caseloads had risen.

Some of the recent cases involve border guards who had worked for their agencies for a short time, including the arrest this month of a recruit at the Border Patrol academy in New Mexico on gun smuggling charges.

The federal government says it carefully screens applicants, but some internal affairs investigators say they have been unable to keep up with the increased workload.

“It’s going to get worse before it gets better,” said James Wong, an internal affairs agent with Customs and Border Protection. “It’s very difficult for us to get out and vet each and every one of the applicants as well as we should.”

The Border Patrol alone is expected to grow to more than 20,000 agents by the end of 2009, more than double from 2001, when the agency began to expand in response to concerns about national security. There has also been a large increase in the number of customs officers.

James Tomsheck, the assistant commissioner for internal affairs at Customs and Border Protection, said the agency was “deeply concerned” that smugglers were sending operatives to take jobs with the Border Patrol and at ports.

Mr. Tomsheck said the agency intended to administer random lie-detector tests to 10 percent of new hires this year, with the goal of eventually testing all applicants. His office has contracts with 155 retired criminal investigators, adding 36 since last fall, to do background checks.

Unfortunately, lie detector testing may actually exacerbate the problem. Because of it's inherent bias against the truthful, polygraph screening will tend to screen out the most honest and conscientious applicants for employment -- the very kind of people one would want working for the Border Patrol. On the other hand, smugglers seeking to infiltrate the Border Patrol will predictably learn how to fool the polygraph, and upon infiltrating the agency, may be shielded from reasonable suspicions because they bear the polygraph seal of approval.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection should heed the National Academy of Sciences' conclusion that "[polygraph testing's] accuracy in distinguishing actual or potential security violators from innocent test takers is insufficient to justify reliance on its use in employee security screening in federal agencies."

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Re: U.S. Border Patrol to Begin Pre-Employment Polygraph Screening
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2008 at 5:39am
The USG hasn't listened to warnings about the inaccuracy of the polygraph since the 1983 report from the Office of Technology Assessment.

Too bad the trend continues.  It is not at all unreasonable to predict that few or even no felons will be caught by the polygraph, but many, many honest and trustworthy applicants who would have been valuable assets to the Border Patrol will be disqualified.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box VIP 85

Reply #2 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 3:23am
HAVING MYSELF  WAY MORE THEN A HAND-FULL OF BPA FRIENDS I NEVER HEARD OF SUCH A LIE DETECTOR TEST BEFORE PRE-EMPLOYMENT.. AND FOR Oscar Ortiz THIS IS THE STORY.....

Former Border Patrol Agent Oscar Ortiz was sentenced to five years in prison for conspiring to bring at least 100 illegal immigrants into the United States. Ortiz admitted he and a fellow agent took money to transport illegal aliens north from the international boundary into the United States, sometimes in their Border Patrol vehicles. Ironically, the investigation revealed Ortiz, who had also served in the Navy, was himself an illegal alien. He applied to the Border Patrol with a fake birth certificate listing Chicago as his birthplace, though it was actually Tijuana, Mexico.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Lethe
Very Senior User

Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 6:40am
The B.P. will be an excellent case study in the experiment that I have proposed (and that polygraphers will never do).

They're going to poly some, but not all, of their new hires.  Fine.  After, say, 3 years, compare the guys hired after being polygraphed with the ones hired without being polygraphed.  If the claim of polygraphers that pre-employment polygraphs improve the quality of the workforce is correct that should be detectable in the data.   

According to Wikipedia the BP currently has 18,049 agents and plans to expand to 20,000+ by the end of the year.  So let's call it 2000 new agents, 200 of which (10%) are polygraphed and 1800 (the other 90%) who aren't.  I'm no statistician, but that should be a meaningful sample size.   

Obviously, this will only produce useful data if the potential employees to be polygraphed are selected randomly and not, for instance, just be the ones hired at a certain site or during a certain time period.   

Again, if the polygraph claims are true, the new agents who are polied should, after several years, have fewer confirmed criminals amongst them, fewer investigations into their conduct, fewer complaints against them, or some other measurable quality that makes them better at their jobs.

Note that for the polygraph to be demonstrated useful in such an experiment it doesn't need to detect deception at all.  All it needs to do is produce a better workforce--the proof is in the pudding, as some people say.  See also my other post on this idea for a somewhat different way of testing this.

Of course, let's be honest, there's no evidence (there's that word again) that most polygraphers give a damn if what they do improves the law enforcement community, just so long as they get paid and get theirs, everyone else can go to hell.

Is former APA President Skip Webb evil or just stupid?

Is former APA President Ed Gelb an idiot or does the polygraph just not work?

Did you know that polygrapher Sackett doesn't care about detecting deception to relevant questions?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anonymous

Reply #4 - Mar 3rd, 2009 at 6:24am
I took the border patrol polygraph today and the operator pretty much told me i failed but he did not say i actually failed.  in so many words he said i failed. he said i did not pass. does this mean i'm disqualified?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #5 - Mar 3rd, 2009 at 6:31am
Quote:
I took the border patrol polygraph today and the operator pretty much told me i failed but he did not say i actually failed.  in so many words he said i failed. he said i did not pass. does this mean i'm disqualified?

If the polygrapher explicitly accused you of deception and pressured you for an admission, then it's a good indication that you failed (and will likely be disqualified). One cannot be certain, however, until one receives official word. If you have an applicant coordinator, you might want to contact him or her regarding your polygraph experience.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anonymous

Reply #6 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 6:23pm
I have tried drugs before about 5 years ago before I joined the military, I am not in process with become a Border Patrol Agent, am I going to get disqualified after doing this extensive process?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #7 - Mar 10th, 2009 at 11:46am
Quote:
I have tried drugs before about 5 years ago before I joined the military, I am not in process with become a Border Patrol Agent, am I going to get disqualified after doing this extensive process?

You should check with the personnel handling your application with the Border Patrol.  Only they can tell you for certain.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #8 - Mar 12th, 2010 at 5:48pm
As mentioned on the blog, the failure rate for the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) polygraph screening program is 60 percent:

https://antipolygraph.org/blog/?p=432

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box jdm599

Reply #9 - Jun 2nd, 2011 at 2:23am
I took the border patrol polygraph a while back and i can that even if something looks slightly off, you will be viewed as being untruthful. I really doubt the accuracy of the polygraph and can only wonder how many potentially great agents were disqualified by a test that is not even admisable in court due to its unreliability.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jerry

Reply #10 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 9:43pm
what will make someone fail a polygraph from past experiences. i took the polygraph for them a few weeks ago. said that i passed it. but my file will be looked at by a credibility assessment. i told them i did duster, air that cleans computers a few times back in 2009, would that disqualify me? i hope not. input would be great.

IP Logged

U.S. Border Patrol to Begin Pre-Employment Polygraph Screening

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X