Normal Topic Harmon Leon Infiltrates PAX TV's Lie Detector Show (Read 25243 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Harmon Leon Infiltrates PAX TV's Lie Detector Show
May 30th, 2008 at 1:42pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
In 2005, PAX TV (now ION Television) ran a single season show called Lie Detector hosted by Rolanda Watts and featuring celebrity polygraph operator "&Dr."& Ed Gelb, a past president of the American Polygraph Association (whom AntiPolygraph.org has previously exposed as a phony Ph.D.).

One episode of the show was infiltrated by humorist Harmon Leon, who concocted a story about having been wrongly busted for marijuana use while on parole and told Lie Detector's producers that he wanted to take a lie detector test to clear his name. The entire story, including the assumed name he used (Hank Leon) was fictitious. Yet he passed the lie detector test administered by one of America's most renowned polygraphers. Leon relates the story in an entertaining San Francisco Weekly article appropriately titled, "Bullshitting the Lie Detector."

The video of Harmon's appearance on Lie Detector is now available on YouTube. Keep in mind, his entire story is a fiction. The money quote of the clip is Gelb's summation, after finding Harmon truthful: "Thankfully...the polygraph is blind. It doesn't know the difference between color, economic status, or political persuasion. But thankfully, it does know the difference between truth and deception!"

Enjoy!

« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2013 at 6:44pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Re: Harmon Leon Infiltrates PAX TV's Lie Detector Show
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 7:44pm
Note that in the polygraph re-enactment shown in the video (the actual "test" had taken place earlier in Gelb's offices), Gelb somberly intones, "Be advised, Hank, any attempt at countermeasures will invalidate this test."

But Harmon Leon did, in fact use countermeasures. In his article about the exploit, Leon writes:

Quote:
After searching the Internet, I decided the best way to beat a polygraph test was to put a tack in my shoe and poke myself when each question was asked. Thus, one tack in one shoe. I'm not sure if this helped during the morning session. But it was very uncomfortable.

It was a crude countermeasure, and misapplied at that: one shouldn't augment reactions to all questions, but rather to control questions. While it's doubtful whether the technique helped Harmon to pass, it's noteworthy that Gelb utterly failed to detect it!

Grin

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 12:01am
You would think Gelb would have been putting forth his best effort since he knew he was going to be on TV.

Stomping on a tack in your shoe on every single question should be, from everything examiners have posted on this board, ridiculously simple to detect.  Even if Gelb couldn't specify, "Hey, you obviously have a tack in your shoe," you would think he should have been able to tell something was up.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ronald R Parton

Reply #3 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 6:00pm
Sure,

Blah, blah blah, all of you sitting around protecting your employment rofessions for a government pension fund. Did you here what I said.
Brennans Lie detector test was a false reading. There-fore an unproved science based on trick questions and trick cards. Pick a card and he tells you thats a lie. All the cards were the same. Now if you feel comfortable sending innocent people to jail, and posibly the grave. Than your a bigger pack of parasites than I originally suspected. I challenge any of you to give me a lye detector test. I will pass the test when I want to pass the test. And I will fail the test when I am emotionally upset over circumstances that would upset and depress the average human being. Throw all the technical jargon into your alledged "science" that you want to. But I'll prove it's a falsehood if you put me on your machine. There are theories, there are hypothesis, and there there is science proven by controlled experiments. I'm offering you the opportunity to prove which one your"purported science actually is,

Sincerely,
Ronald Rigoberto Parton
Author/Victim
The WestField Crossing
activateamericatrademarks

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #4 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 6:37pm
Mr. Parton,

I'm not sure whom you are addressing, but neither I nor Sergeant1107 are protecting our personal employment or pensions by posting here. Moreover, your post is entirely off-topic for this message thread.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Lethe
Very Senior User

Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2008 at 1:06am
Oh. My. Goodness.  That story you linked to, "Bullshitting the Lie Detector," is so funny.  I highly commend it to everyone.  This guy's story was so ridiculous in so many ways.  The producers should have seen through it so easily, but I guess they were just relying on the polygraph.

Quote:
The producer requests that I, who-is-on-parole, fax a copy of my police report from my latest arrest.

"I believe you," she says. "The executive producer just wants to see a copy of it."

This presents a problem. I put her off. The producer calls numerous times. I put her off further. More phone calls. A friend offers a solution: I surf my way over to SmokingGun.com and, after an extensive archives search, download David Crosby's drug and weapons arrest report, along with the paperwork for Courtney Love's assault-with-a-flashlight charge. Using Photoshop software, I combine the two, heavily utilizing the smudge tool. For consistency, I do a few rounds of enlarging and reducing the document at Kinkos. Randomly, I black out words, stating that on legal advice from my lawyer, I can't go into great detail about my weapons and drug charges. (The case is still pending.)

Hank now has an arrest report.

Faxing off the Crosby/Love document, I expect never to hear from Lie Detector again. There are about a thousand ways to figure out I'm lying in 10 minutes or less. But lo and behold: The show's travel coordinator calls the next day to book my airline ticket to L.A. I'll be put up for two nights at a Holiday Inn! Hot damn. Lie Detector awaits!

But those faults belong to the producers, obviously not to any polygrapher.  But a question for polygraphers among us here: why do you think Gelb didn't detect the crude use of countermeasures?   

Secondly, if he hadn't used any countermeasures, would the type of questions that Gelb would have asked, given the made up background he was about the case, should he have been able to tell that the dude's reactions were screwy?  For instance, in the story, one of the relevant questions is "Did you do marijuana while on probation last January?"  The subject replies "no"--which is true, since he wasn't on probation last January.  Would there have been other questions asked on the box that would have established whether or not he was on probation?  Or would his response to that question have indicated deception since he wasn't on probation?

Anyway, the big thing is that Gelb, presumably a well-qualified poly, was apparently unable to detect a very crude use of countermeasures.  How is this explicable?

Is former APA President Skip Webb evil or just stupid?

Is former APA President Ed Gelb an idiot or does the polygraph just not work?

Did you know that polygrapher Sackett doesn't care about detecting deception to relevant questions?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box MackTheKnife

Reply #6 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 5:56pm
The recently-dismissed UCLA soccer coach with the fake degree has a lawyer named Bruce Gelb. Dimly recalling a "Gelb" connection with degrees before, I delved a bit.

Turns out that Ed Gelb (is there a relationship?), the 'celebrity' lie detector expert who was involved in high profile cases such as O.J. Simpson, Jon Benet Ramsey, and Gary Condit, has his Ph.D. from LaSalle University, Louisiana.

Truth is, there was a brief period, in which LaSalle awarded Ph.D.s and was NOT a diploma mill: after their founders pleaded guilty to fraud and went to prison, and before the new owners dropped the doctorates in order to apply (unsuccessfully) for DETC accreditation. I don't know when Dr. Gelb acquired his degree.

It does beg the question !!!  Did this Anti-Polygraph due it due diligence in fairness to Mr. Gelb  in determining what year he got is PhD in ?  Given his age, it may be real.   I believe the burden is on this site to do so.   Tongue

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #7 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 7:24pm
Mack,

La Salle University in Mandeville, Louisiana, was never a regionally accredited degree granting institution:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Kirk_diploma_mills

Due diligence has indeed been done in investigating Ed Gelb's fraudulent claim to be a Ph.D. You'll find documentation here:

https://antipolygraph.org/articles/article-036.shtml

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #8 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 10:04pm
Lethe wrote on Jun 7th, 2008 at 1:06am:
Anyway, the big thing is that Gelb, presumably a well-qualified poly, was apparently unable to detect a very crude use of countermeasures.  How is this explicable?

I must confess to being slightly surprised that no polies have posted anything here responding to this.  Surely you can come up with some reason that Leon was able to totally humiliate your ex-president?  This is your president that we're talking about here!  He's the best that you have!  And he was totally humiliated on national television by... a comedian.

Yeah, on second thought, I guess silence really is the best response here.  There's really no way to respond to that.  Best just to ignore it and hope it goes away. 

If you are a polygrapher and that is your attitude: damn you.  Damn you all for being more loyal to a money-making machine that doesn't do what you promise it does instead of to the society that you are a part of and claiming to serve.  Damn you for allowing yourselves to be programmed like machines and trained like dogs to take fantasy for reality simply because it is more comfortable for you.  And damn you for discouraging rational thought, the one and only thing that separates us from the rest of the animal kingdom.  You are well-trained indeed, but you are bad human beings.

Did you know that polygrapher Sackett doesn't care about detecting deception to relevant questions?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box SanchoPanza
Especially Senior User

Reply #9 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 6:01pm
Note: The majority of this post was copied from a previous post of mine and moved to this thread, because Dr. Maschke indicated that this was a more appropriate location for information concerning the story about how Harmon Leon told the truth during a polygraph test and how the polygraph examiner was able to detect/catch him telling the truth despite the fact that Harmon Leon was deliberately attempting to distort the results.

I hadn't heard this Harmon Leon story so I looked it up. 
I viewed the video on YOUTUBE here: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv-cUD5RY9M

I read Harmon Leon's account here: http://www.sfweekly.com/2005-05-25/news/bullshitting-the-lie-detector/

and  also read the response to his article by the shows producer here: http://www.sfweekly.com/2005-06-22/news/the-infiltrator-who-proved-nothing/

Saying that he completely fooled Ed Gelb is a bit of an exaggeration.
First,  Harmon Leon was not on parole or probation so when he ansered "yes" to the question, "Do you plan to tell the truth on this test whether you knowingly used marijuana while on probation?"  He was telling the truth. 
When he answered "No" to the question "Did you do marijuana while on probation last January?" He was again telling the truth.
The results of his polygraph were that he was telling the truth on these questions.
But, your conclusion is that he "Fooled" Ed Gelb. 

In Summary  Gonzo Journalist tells truth on the test. Test shows Gonzo Journalist told the truth on the test. Conclusion: Person administering test Fooled?  HARDLY

Second  The real message you should get from all three sources is that even though Harmon Leon claims "After searching the Internet, I decided the best way to beat a polygraph test was to put a tack in my shoe and poke myself when each question was asked."  He failed to cause sufficient distortion in his charts to prevent Ed Gelb from  arriving at the conclusion that this Gonzo Journalist who successfully lied to the producers about his arrest and probation to the extent of forging a police report had in fact told the truth about using marijuana on probation.

I don't know where on the internet he got his countermeasure advice, but I do know that the N.A.S. study stated that there isn't any credible evidence or scientific research that supports the idea that it is easy to train examinees to “beat” both the polygraph and trained examiners. 

NEW NEWS
 Is It Possible To Beat A Lie Detector?
http://www.kutv.com/content/gephardt/story.aspx?content_id=76ab9cce-7d8e-4170-b7...

Sancho Panza 
[font=Arial][/font]

Quand vous citez des langues que vous ne parlez pas afin de sembler intellegent, vous vous avérez seulement que votre tête est gonflée mais videz.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #10 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 7:10pm
Hmmm, interesting.  A little belated, and dated, but interesting.

Puff, puff.

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #11 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 11:12am
I don't see how this could reasonably be characterized as anything less than an utter failure of the polygraph.

The subject lied about his name, lied about his backstory, was not on probation or parole, and stomped on a tack in his shoe on every question.  He created a photoshopped police report and invented a nonexistent girlfriend.  Ed Gelb was unable to detect any deception and was not even able to detect the fact that the guy was stomping on a tack in his shoe on every question.

I don't see how anyone can reasonably claim that when Harmon was asked, "Do you plan to tell the truth on this test whether you knowingly used marijuana while on probation?" he answered truthfully because he did not use marijuana.  Part of that question includes the fact that he was on probation, and Harmon most certainly knew that he wasn't on probation during the time period in question.  By answering the question at all he would be lying, but Gelb couldn't pick up on that.  

When Harmon was asked, "Did you do marijuana while on probation last January?" he again lied when he answered, since he wasn't on probation.  Not to mention that none of us know if he actually used marijuana during the time in question.  But I think that is irrelevant, since his whole story was a lie from start to finish.

If a clean-living friend of a police applicant fills in for them on their pre-employment polygraph, do you think a competent (by APA standards) polygraph examiner should be able to detect that they are not speaking to the actual applicant?  Should the examiner be able to detect that the person they are testing is giving them a fictional history and is essentially basing their answers off a sizeable lie (i.e. - that they are not the person the examiner thinks they are)?  Should the examiner be able to detect that the subject is stomping on a tack every time they are asked a question?

Or would it be more reasonable to dissect every answer and try to claim that certain answers to certain parts of certain questions were technically true, and therefore the polygraph functioned as advertised?

I think it is simply common sense that if a test subject is lying about his name, lying about his backstory, and stomping on a tack in his shoe on every question he should not "pass" a test that is supposedly able to detect deception.

Isn't a pre-test interview standard procedure?  Isn't Ed Gelb a former police officer?  Yet he was unable to detect anything unusual when he talked to "Hank" about an arrest that never occurred, and probation (or parole) that "Hank" was never on, and about a failed drug test that "Hank" never took?

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box SanchoPanza
Especially Senior User

Reply #12 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 12:01pm
The subject matter/topic of inquiry of the questions dealt with marijuana use.  The part of the question that refers to probation merely esablish a frame of reference for the question and are not the topic of inquiry. The other things you mentioned were not the topics of questions asked on the exam either. 

You seem to forget that the purpose of a polygraph. It is not an excercise to detect countermeasures nor is it an excercise  to learn all possible secrets an examinee may harbor. 
It is a process to determine an examinee's truthfulness concerning the topic of inquiry.

Sancho Panza

Quand vous citez des langues que vous ne parlez pas afin de sembler intellegent, vous vous avérez seulement que votre tête est gonflée mais videz.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box notguilty1
Especially Senior User

Reply #13 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 12:02am
SanchoPanza wrote on Nov 3rd, 2008 at 12:01pm:
The subject matter/topic of inquiry of the questions dealt with marijuana use.  The part of the question that refers to probation merely esablish a frame of reference for the question and are not the topic of inquiry. The other things you mentioned were not the topics of questions asked on the exam either. 

You seem to forget that the purpose of a polygraph. It is not an excercise to detect countermeasures nor is it an excercise  to learn all possible secrets an examinee may harbor. 
It is a process to determine an examinee's truthfulness concerning the topic of inquiry.

Sancho Panza

Sancho, That would be great if the machine could in fact reliably do that but, as we have come to learn it cannot and never has.
Now, if by "process" you mean "lets get past the silly machine game and on to the interrogation" then MAYBE you have something.
Your insistence that polygraphy is in fact accurate  does not make it so.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #14 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 12:43am
SanchoPanza wrote on Nov 3rd, 2008 at 12:01pm:

Polygraphers would do well to remember that.  They seem to consider spotting countermeasures to be more important than determining the truth about the relevant questions.   

Polygrapher James Sackett admitted that he didn't care if he failed people who responded honestly to the relevant questions; he just wanted to catch people who used countermeasures.  Read all about it here.

IP Logged

Harmon Leon Infiltrates PAX TV's Lie Detector Show

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X