Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) FALSE syllogism? (Read 67285 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box notguilty1
Especially Senior User

Re: FALSE syllogism?
Reply #75 - May 26th, 2008 at 4:26pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
pailryder wrote on May 26th, 2008 at 12:42pm:
notguilty 1

I guess I don't understand your beef.  You were a suspect in a theft, you consented to a police polygraph, the police examiner got your result wrong and subjected you to a harsh interrogation.  Is that what happened?  As Mr Maschke explains in The Lie Behind the Lie the only sure way of protecting against examiner error is to refuse the test.  So are you angry because your examiner understated the risk, or because he made an error, or because you didn't exercise your right to refuse?  

Hi Pail,
Yes I was accused of a theft. I was asked to take a Poligraph by the detective I agreed because I knew I had nothing to hide and I as many were under the false impression that Polygraph is very accurate.
I was informed that I failed and I was showing "some" deception. 
My beef is that this test is being used to judge people and is inaccurate. I know this first hand. I know I had the right to refuse but felt I did not need to exercise that right.
Today, unfortunatly the gun I was accused to stealing has not been recovered and there are still 3 people that, based on Polygraph beleve me to be a thief. Yes I am getting over it but I value my reputation. The test was designed to clear me since I was being truthfull in ALL and ANY information about the gun. 
My goal here is to inform people that come here for information not to fall for the BS about Polygraph being 95-98% accurate and that it can infact detect lies two beliefs that the general public has about Polygraph. ( I was told these lies by the Polygrapher ) IF I had it to do over I would have told the detective what to do with his Polygraph machine.
Pail, You seem like a reasonable person and you even suggested in your posts that you do not defend Polygraph in all applications ( I am paraphrasing) so I assume you too understand Polygraphs serious limitations.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Reply #76 - May 26th, 2008 at 5:37pm
ng1

Yes, very serious limitations, but some legitimate applications.  A fair assessment of accuracy for most specific (non screening) applications, is significantly above chance, significantly below perfection.
« Last Edit: May 26th, 2008 at 6:15pm by pailryder »  

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nopolycop
Especially Senior User

Reply #77 - May 27th, 2008 at 2:25pm
pailryder wrote on May 26th, 2008 at 5:37pm:
ng1

Yes, very serious limitations, but some legitimate applications.  A fair assessment of accuracy for most specific (non screening) applications, is significantly above chance, significantly below perfection.

Pailryder:

The above is an interesting statement.  I would be interested in hearing your comments regarding what  you believe a fair assessment of the accuracy of "screening" tests would be.

"Although the degree of reliability of polygraph evidence may depend upon a variety of identifiable factors, there is simply no way to know in a particular case whether a polygraph examiner's Conclusion is accurate, because certain doubts and uncertainties plague even the best polygraph exams."  (Justice Clarence Thomas writing in United States v. Scheffer, 523 U.S. 303, 118 S.Ct. 1261, 140 L.Ed.2d 413, 1998.)

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #78 - May 27th, 2008 at 4:09pm
nopolycop

In preemp screening, utility can, probably does, exceed accuracy.  Every agency has finite resources and limited time for background investigations.  Even a small city police department may have 300 passes on the initial written test with only 20 openings at the academy.  To do 300 full background checks, depending on how many applicants were out of state, could tie up every criminal investigator for months.   

One thing that can be fairly said of polyexs is they usually have good interview skills and extract a fair amount of additional information from people who have already "fully disclosed" on their application.

As to accuracy, the best analogy is to target shooting, where with proper training most shooters can hit a single target or know that they missed.  But to simultainously shoot at seven different targets, how many hit seven out of seven?  That has to be much more difficult.

Police departments reason this process is not unfair as long as everyone gets the same test, has the same chance, takes the same risk.
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2008 at 6:55pm by pailryder »  

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #79 - May 27th, 2008 at 5:45pm
I take it from your response then, that you do not view the accuracy of pre-employment screening tests as being particularily accurate.

"Although the degree of reliability of polygraph evidence may depend upon a variety of identifiable factors, there is simply no way to know in a particular case whether a polygraph examiner's Conclusion is accurate, because certain doubts and uncertainties plague even the best polygraph exams."  (Justice Clarence Thomas writing in United States v. Scheffer, 523 U.S. 303, 118 S.Ct. 1261, 140 L.Ed.2d 413, 1998.)

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #80 - May 27th, 2008 at 6:29pm
nopoly

If APA guidelines are followed, premp accuracy can be acceptable.  That guideline requires a single issue follow up for any initial unresolved response.  Few agencies to my knowledge go that extra distance.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #81 - May 27th, 2008 at 6:39pm
Quote:
If APA guidelines are followed, premp accuracy can be acceptable.  That guideline requires a single issue follow up for any initial unresolved response.  Few agencies to my knowledge go that extra distance.

A single issue follow-up polygraph?  You can put a tuxedo on a pig, but it will still be a pig.  You are still trying to validate the polygraph with another polygraph.

Why not a follow-up INVESTIGATION.

What do the APA guildelines say about telling the test subject that the test is 95-98% accurate, which they do all the time?

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #82 - May 27th, 2008 at 6:53pm
Mr Cullen

Ask the APA.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #83 - May 27th, 2008 at 7:42pm
pailryder wrote on May 27th, 2008 at 6:29pm:
nopoly

If APA guidelines are followed, premp accuracy can be acceptable.  That guideline requires a single issue follow up for any initial unresolved response.  Few agencies to my knowledge go that extra distance.  

What  do you mean by an unresolved response?  Verbal or physiological?

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #84 - May 27th, 2008 at 7:47pm
nopc

physiological

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box jcamiller

Reply #85 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 3:57am
1. singer lose their vioce
2. you just lost your vioce
conclusion: your a singer

p.s. i'm 11 years old and i'm just learning this so it might be wrong Undecided  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box smajor82

Reply #86 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 9:14pm
How about this then: if polygraph tests are truly reliable, then what information do we need to identify which of the two tests in question are valid? Provide a complete list and how would measure everything on that list.  You seem to be good at dismissing people's questions in a way that prevents you from ever having to provide actual information.

If you can't measure everything you need to know in order to effectively evaluate a test, then it's not a very good test, is it?  It sounds like the only way to explain the results we have here is with vague, un-quantifiable things like "bias".

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
FALSE syllogism?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X