Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Upcoming Poly- Have questions (Read 13911 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anonymous000
New User

Upcoming Poly- Have questions
May 2nd, 2008 at 10:54pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
First I would like to say I have a really boring background and have nothing to hide. I plan to be 100% honest about my entire background. 

After reading SO many people fail the poly and having the PD tell us 99.9% either fail the POLY or PSYCH my question is:

Should I think ahead of reasons why I may react to a certain question? I have googled and found quite a few questions I believe may be asked. Should I go ahead and think of a good reason as to why I may react? If I have a slight reaction, is the examiner simply looking for a valid REASON? 

I really appreciate everyones help! 

Thanks

IP Logged

New User

Re: Upcoming Poly- Have questions
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2008 at 11:04pm
Also is it a BAD idea to make a LIST of everything stupid i've done in my life? 

I find myself laying around and something pops up in my head. I rush to my word document and add it to the list. 

Do any of the examiners find anything wrong with this? 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2008 at 1:58am
Anonymous,

Stop thinking so much about the test.  This is what they want.  They want you  to be all pensive, and fearful of the test.

All you need to know is that the polygraph machine DOES NOT MEASURE DECEPTION!  It measures you're level of ANXIETY or DEFENSIVENESS about the questions.  The more you THINK (like you are doing now!) about the questions, the more anxious and defensive you will be.  Replace these thoughts!  Every time you find yourself having these thoughts, yell "STOP!".  Then go through the following mental exercise:

Visualize the polygraph machine as a cardboard box with the words "magic box" stenciled on it, and an old 60's style TV antenna stuck on the top of it.   The examiner, who has just escaped from a mental hostpital,  has informed you that this machine has "magic" powers.  It can tell whether you are lying and where skirt lengths will be in the next decade.  Also, it can detect all the "naughty" thoughts you've ever had.   

Naturally, you find this absurd and even comical.  But you don't want to offend the examiner by laughing in his face, so you "play along" with him.  You pretend to take him seriously, much like you would a young child playing "make believe".   

You know there is no way he can tell whether you are telling the truth or not with this idiotic contraption.  You have no fear whatsoever, and are actually amused.  You are totally RELIEVED, though.  You laugh at yourself for ever being afraid, or worrying about the test.   

You know you have done nothing.  Heck, you have about the most  boring background a person could have.  The examiner tells you that his silly cardboard box with the TV antenna on top is telling him you are being deceptive when answering the question "Have you ever committed a crime, or thought of committing a crime.", you CLEARLY SEE HOW RIDICULOUS that is!  You confidently, and convincingly answer "no" several times, and the examiner drops it.

The test ends and you get the job.

End of exercise

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box sackett
Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2008 at 3:36am
anonymous,

there is no way you can think up excuses for everything that MIGHT go wrong in your testing.  My suggestion is to consider what they will probably want to know about, i.e. crimes, drugs, illegal sexual acts, stealing, domestic violence, etc.  Be honest and if, as you say, your life is boring, you will be a breeze for the process and a pleasure for the examiner to deal with.

Good Luck!

Sackett

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2008 at 5:13am
anonymous000 wrote on May 2nd, 2008 at 10:54pm:
First I would like to say I have a really boring background and have nothing to hide. I plan to be 100% honest about my entire background. 

After reading SO many people fail the poly and having the PD tell us 99.9% either fail the POLY or PSYCH my question is:

Should I think ahead of reasons why I may react to a certain question? I have googled and found quite a few questions I believe may be asked. Should I go ahead and think of a good reason as to why I may react? If I have a slight reaction, is the examiner simply looking for a valid REASON? 

I really appreciate everyones help! 

Thanks

It would indeed be a good thing to have a pre-planned, innocuous explanation for any reactions to relevant questions of which you may be accused and asked for an explanation. See the section "To Explain or Not to Explain Responses to Relevant Questions" beginning at p. 151 of the 4th edition of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.

As for your list of every stupid thing you've done, it would be yet another stupid thing to provide it to your polygrapher. Your duty as a law enforcement applicant is to answer the relevant questions truthfully. You're secretly expected to be less than fully candid when answering the so-called "control" questions, as explained in Chapter 3 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. Perversely, the more honestly you answer these questions, and as a result feel less anxiety when answering them, the more likely you are to wrongly fail the polygraph.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #5 - May 3rd, 2008 at 9:22am
sackett wrote on May 3rd, 2008 at 3:36am:
 Be honest and if, as you say, your life is boring, you will be a breeze for the process and a pleasure for the examiner to deal with.

Good Luck!

Sackett

I was honest and I didn't have anything in my past and I failed three out of four.

What makes you confident enough to dispense such advice?  Do you really believe that the only requirement for passing a polygraph is to tell the truth?  Do you truly think that every single person on this web site who claims to have told the truth and still failed is making up their story?

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #6 - May 3rd, 2008 at 9:32am
Quote:
What makes you confident enough to dispense such advice?  Do you really believe that the only requirement for passing a polygraph is to tell the truth?  Do you truly think that every single person on this web site who claims to have told the truth and still failed is making up their story?

This is what polygraphers, used car salesmen...etc. do.  They are  real nice.  Tell people what a "pleasure" it will be to work with them.   All in an attempt to get the person to trust them and "drop their guard".  When they should be doing just the opposite!

When will people wise up?

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

New User

Reply #7 - May 3rd, 2008 at 3:46pm

[b]I guess I was hoping to be 100% honest and prove to the examiner I TRULEY have nothing to hide. Proving a list could prove that? My background is pretty lame though.

There is so much riding on this test and I truly have nothing to hide. Its unfortunate I started looking into this damn test. Now i've learned too much, i should have just gone in and acted stupid. [/b]
« Last Edit: May 4th, 2008 at 2:38am by anonymous000 »  

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #8 - May 3rd, 2008 at 4:48pm
Sergeant1107 wrote on May 3rd, 2008 at 9:22am:
[quote author=6D7F7D757B6A6A1E0 link=1209768858/0#3 date=1209785819] Be honest and if, as you say, your life is boring, you will be a breeze for the process and a pleasure for the examiner to deal with.

Good Luck!

Sackett

Sarge,  you wrote, " was honest and I didn't have anything in my past and I failed three out of four."

Perhaps you fall into the category of those who minimize, rationalize and avoid responsibility for your actions or statements because YOU think the information was not important enough to disclose; then got caught!  Or maybe, you were a "false positive."  But, three out of four tests being wrong?  In my profession, and numerically speaking, that probability is minimal.  

Of course, your buddies here have established the convenient excuse that there is no way to prove the so-called negative, so ground truth can never really be known.  I get it.    

What makes me confident enough to dispense such advice is the fact I do this every day.  I haven't had (supposedly) a bad experiences that somehow (in my own mind and through validation by other "victims") qualify me to talk about it.  I didn't just read a book which justifies my behavior in attacking a well established profession.  I do it!  You had four tests?  I gave more than that last week.  Ask anyone I test and most will say that I am fair, direct and professional.

To your statements.  I believe the "only requirement" for passing a polygraph is to tell the truth and follow instructions.  No, I do not think every single person on this board is lying, but I think most are in fact rationalizing, minimizing, avoiding responsibility for some action they assumed would have no impact on their test and when it did, claim unfairness and innaccuracy.

The research establishes there are false positives, as there are false negatives (as recently discussed).  I'm simply saying that it is a viable manner to establish honesty and it is the only manner in which we have to do so.  Some of you were "victims."  OK, I believe you think you were.  That makes you, for a lack of better terminology, collateral damage.  And, while it does effect you, it does not effect the entire profession and certainly does not mean the baby should be thrown out with the dirty water...

Sackett

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box notguilty1
Especially Senior User

Reply #9 - May 4th, 2008 at 1:46am
sackett wrote on May 3rd, 2008 at 4:48pm:
Sergeant1107 wrote on May 3rd, 2008 at 9:22am:
[quote author=6D7F7D757B6A6A1E0 link=1209768858/0#3 date=1209785819] Be honest and if, as you say, your life is boring, you will be a breeze for the process and a pleasure for the examiner to deal with.

Good Luck!

Sackett

Sarge,  you wrote, " was honest and I didn't have anything in my past and I failed three out of four."

Perhaps you fall into the category of those who minimize, rationalize and avoid responsibility for your actions or statements because YOU think the information was not important enough to disclose; then got caught!  Or maybe, you were a "false positive."  But, three out of four tests being wrong?  In my profession, and numerically speaking, that probability is minimal.  

Of course, your buddies here have established the convenient excuse that there is no way to prove the so-called negative, so ground truth can never really be known.  I get it.    

What makes me confident enough to dispense such advice is the fact I do this every day.  I haven't had (supposedly) a bad experiences that somehow (in my own mind and through validation by other "victims") qualify me to talk about it.  I didn't just read a book which justifies my behavior in attacking a well established profession.  I do it!  You had four tests?  I gave more than that last week.  Ask anyone I test and most will say that I am fair, direct and professional.

To your statements.  I believe the "only requirement" for passing a polygraph is to tell the truth and follow instructions.  No, I do not think every single person on this board is lying, but I think most are in fact rationalizing, minimizing, avoiding responsibility for some action they assumed would have no impact on their test and when it did, claim unfairness and innaccuracy.

The research establishes there are false positives, as there are false negatives (as recently discussed).  I'm simply saying that it is a viable manner to establish honesty and it is the only manner in which we have to do so.  Some of you were "victims."  OK, I believe you think you were.  That makes you, for a lack of better terminology, collateral damage.  And, while it does effect you, it does not effect the entire profession and certainly does not mean the baby should be thrown out with the dirty water...

Sackett

I CAN'T BELIEVE I AM ABOUT TO SAY THIS ! But.... Sackett I appreciate that you have finally admitted that your "science" creates as you put it "colateral damage".
However your follwing statement cannot account for my or many other false postives. In my case I was accused of stealing a gun from a clients home. I either did or didn't ( I of course didn't) there is no way I can minimize, rationalize or avoid responsabilty for something I simply did not do. 
No, I do not think every single person on this board is lying, but I think most are in fact rationalizing, minimizing, avoiding responsibility for some action they assumed would have no impact on their test and when it did, claim unfairness and innaccuracy.
This was horrifying to me that a test that can be that wrong is so widey used and considered "unbaetable" by the genaral public.
This is why we are on here to post our claims.
I am sure you have never been Polygraphed for a crime and failed inspite of your honesty so even though I agree you have the experience that comes with doing Poly's every day please understand that we have experiences though limited are just as real. Wink

IP Logged

New User

Reply #10 - May 4th, 2008 at 2:36am
okay so bringing a list of 15-20 stupid things i've done / taken / lied about is not a good idea? 

I will use no counter measures, i will be 100% honest and if i fail, i guess the police department didn't need me after all. My background investigation would likely put any BI to sleep. I plan to tell the examiner things ive never mentioned to anyone in my life. 

I guess we will see. Generally i am a very calm person. Hopefully I won't be collateral damage, as i really would enjoy a new career in law enforcement.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #11 - May 4th, 2008 at 8:12am
anonymous000 wrote on May 4th, 2008 at 2:36am:
okay so bringing a list of 15-20 stupid things i've done / taken / lied about is not a good idea?

It's worse than simply "not good." Rather than allaying suspicions, providing such an unsolicited list is likely to arouse them.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #12 - May 4th, 2008 at 3:33pm
"notguilty1",

no-one in the polygraph community refutes the presence of false results, so please don't act so suprised.  I'm simply suggesting that not everyone who fails is a false positive, as suggested by this board.

Now let me ask you a question.  You were suspected of stealing a gun.  You are correct, you either did or didn't do it.  But, what would your expected results be if you knew or believed you knew who really did take it and failed to tell the examiner (for whatever reason) before the test?  Would you pass the test regarding stealing it?

Sackett

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #13 - May 4th, 2008 at 3:58pm
sackett wrote on May 4th, 2008 at 3:33pm:
"notguilty1",

no-one in the polygraph community refutes the presence of false results, so please don't act so suprised.  I'm simply suggesting that not everyone who fails is a false positive, as suggested by this board.

Now let me ask you a question.  You were suspected of stealing a gun.  You are correct, you either did or didn't do it.  But, what would your expected results be if you knew or believed you knew who really did take it and failed to tell the examiner (for whatever reason) before the test?  Would you pass the test regarding stealing it?

Sackett

OK, for the sake of the argument you put forward. I do understand how in that case dispite the fact that that examinee did not steal the gun and did answer truthfully, if he knew something about the disapearence of the gun he would be "reacting" to the question and omitting some pertainent information.
However, ......... In my case I never saw, touched or even knew the gun exsited before I got a call informing me that it was missing. 
I responded truthfully without omitting anything and still failed although I was never told what questions I "reacted" to.
This reality is very real for me and I am sure many that find themselves in my shoes.

« Last Edit: May 5th, 2008 at 12:00am by notguilty1 »  

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #14 - May 7th, 2008 at 2:58pm
Sackett.... any comment on my last post?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Upcoming Poly- Have questions

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X