Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Crystallynn Girard Murder Case: Yet Another Failure of the Polygraph (Read 43933 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box sackett
Especially Senior User

Re: The Crystallynn Girard Murder Case: Yet Another Failure of the Polygraph
Reply #30 - May 4th, 2008 at 3:20pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Sergeant1107 wrote on May 4th, 2008 at 7:12am:
sackett wrote on May 3rd, 2008 at 6:15pm:
That is usually when polygraph in criminal cases are administered; when most leads are exhausted.

To the best of my knowledge, that is simply not true.  Moreover, I find it difficult to believe that you think it is true.

Do you have some source you could cite or link to provide that would back up your assertion that polygraphs are usually only used in criminal investigations after most leads have been exhausted?

No, I have no source, no research, no paper to fall back on to "prove it" to you.   I do have almost 30 years in/around law enforcement at every level of government and my experience is such that cases are not generally investigated through the polygraph.   

Polygraph is used when needed.  This (usually) means when other leads have exhausted themselves.  Now, do EACH and EVERY law enforcement agency  in the US do it that way each and every time?  Probably not, but it is generally understood and applied that way.

Sackett

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box sackett
Especially Senior User

Reply #31 - May 4th, 2008 at 3:26pm
Meangino,

you wrote,

1.  What is your opinion of offering a suspect immunity based on "passing" a polygraph "test," as the liveleak.com article reported happened in the case of Crystallyn Girard?

I do not know the circumstances of the offer or the need to make the offer.  It makes no sense to me to offer immunity to someone who passed.  It's akin to requiring miranda warnings to witnesses, it's unnecessary.

2.  Does it concern you that, due to the polygraph-induced immunity granted to Donahue, there never will be justice for Crystallynn?

While I don't know all the details, it concerns me anytime justice is not served.

Sackett

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #32 - May 13th, 2008 at 11:41am
A jury last night found Dennis P. Donohue guilty of the 1993 murder of Joan Giambra--a murder that might never have happened had not Buffalo police, some seven months earlier, wrongly cleared Donohue of suspicion in the death of Crystallynn Girard after he passed a polygraph test:

Quote:
http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/345286.html

Donohue convicted of 1993 murder
Strangled housewife 15 years ago in her home
By Matt Gryta
Updated: 05/13/08 6:51 AM

Dennis P. Donohue, a former Buffalo bartender linked to the deaths of three women since the mid-1970s, was convicted late Monday evening of strangling Joan Giambra in the South Buffalo housewife’s own home 15 years ago.

After about six hours of deliberations following a two-week trial before Erie County Judge Sheila A. DiTullio, a jury of nine men and three women found Donohue, 55, guilty of one count of second-degree murder for the intentional killing of his paramour Sept. 9, 1993.

Jailed since his belated arrested last Sept. 17, Donohue, who did not testify or present any alibi witnesses, did not display any emotion as the verdict was announced at about 11:20 p. m.

Assistant District Attorney Frank A. Sedita III and prosecutor Kristen A. St. Mary said they will urge District Attorney Frank J. Clark to recommend the judge impose the maximum term of 25 years-to-life when Donohue is sentenced June 30.

As the verdict was announced, the victim’s three children hugged each other and about a dozen of their relatives and supporters who remained in the courtroom all day.

Joseph A. Agro, Donohue’s attorney, said the quickness of the verdict convinced him he was correct in seeking to have the trial moved out of Erie County to guaranteed Donohue a fair trial. Agro said there are “a lot of significant issues” upon which to appeal the verdict, including alleged news media coverage calling for Donohue’s conviction.

Moments after the verdict, Don Cormier, Giambra’s only son, and her two daughters, Jackie and Kathleen Giambra, called the guilty verdict the best Mother’s Day gift they and their mother could have hoped for.

Kathleen Giambra, who as an 11-year-old was found incoherent atop her mother’s naked corpse and who believes Donohue tried to strangle her as well, said she was glad “the man that did this is behind bars and he can’t hurt anyone else.”

The late-night verdict came after the jury had a readback of testimony about the DNA evidence linked to what forensic scientists determined was Donohue’s DNA under the fingernails of the 42-year-old victim.

Before Agro left the courtroom he said he is convinced that the jury “had its mind made up” before it heard any evidence at the trial based on all the negative publicity Donohue has been receiving over the past year.

Arrested and belatedly charged last September, Donohue was convicted of manually strangling the Hillside Avenue housewife early on Sept. 9, 1993 — his 41st birthday.

Donohue was living with relatives in Kenmore last September when members of the Giambra family urged the Buffalo Cold Case Squad to check into the possibility he was the killer.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box mylyrix
New User

Reply #33 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 4:17am
I just gotta say wow. does anyone remember how the mayor demanded an answer? there was more involved than a failed polygraph. this city is so full of corruption it makes me sick. coming from the cousin and best friend to the girl in question. i was 14 at the time and i was smart enough to know the difference. the lead investigator couldnt solve a crime to save his life. ask him why when my grandma died he tried to blame my cousin eddie for the murder of a woman who died naturally? or why the police beat the crap oout of me on a daily basis smashing my head off my car making me bleed for there amusement saying come on dejac when you gonna murder just like your whore of an aunt? maybe 1 day ill find what i need to write about all of this.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
The Crystallynn Girard Murder Case: Yet Another Failure of the Polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X