Normal Topic Polygraph-Induced False Confession of Peter Reilly (Read 13755 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Polygraph-Induced False Confession of Peter Reilly
Jan 23rd, 2004 at 2:04pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
One of the most notorious polygraph-induced false confessions is that of Peter Reilly, from whom, at the age of 18, the Connecticut State Police extracted a false confession to the brutal murder of his mother. Reilly was wrongly convicted of his mother's murder based on the false confession but was exonerated some three years later when it was proven that he was elsewhere at the time of the murder. But by then the trail of the true killer went cold, and the murder remained unsolved and is not being actively investigated.

The case was the subject of Joan Barthel's nonfiction book, A Death in Canaan based on which a television movie was made. David T. Lykken also discusses this case in A Tremor in the Blood: Uses and Abuses of the Lie Detector.

Reilly is now seeking access to the 30-year old case file in his mother's murder under Connecticut's Freedom of Information laws. But the Connecticut State Police don't want the public to see it. The following article is from today's New York Times:

Quote:
Exonerated but in Dark: Police Keep Files Closed
By STACEY STOWE

HARTFORD, Jan. 22 - It has been 30 years since Peter Reilly was wrongfully convicted of his mother's murder, and he still wants to find the killer. But on Thursday, he learned that the police do not want anyone turning to the case files for clues.

Mr. Reilly's conviction spawned two books and a television movie. Celebrities like the playwright Arthur Miller and neighbors took up his cause, and he was exonerated in 1977.

On Thursday, he attended a hearing of the state's Freedom of Information Commission here on whether the state police are required to open investigative files on the killing of his mother, Barbara Gibbons. An author and a local newspaper have appealed to the commission to open the records.

But it is the quest of Mr. Reilly, casually dressed and, but for the faint crow's feet framing his eyes, the mirror image of his tousled-haired, 18-year-old self that is most poignant. He is a part-time salesman and musician. His band? Voo Doo Justice.

Now 48, he is comfortable enough to riff on his criminal ordeal. He has found work and creative pursuits, but he has never found his mother's killer.

"I'm here to find out the truth about what the state police are hiding behind," he said firmly. In 1977, a one-man grand jury found evidence of law enforcement errors and misconduct in the case.

Mr. Reilly was just 18 when he returned home from a church meeting and found his mother's crumpled body. The slashing of her neck left her nearly decapitated. She had been sexually assaulted. Her nose, ribs and thigh bones had been broken.

Within hours, the police began a marathon interrogation of Mr. Reilly, convincing him that his response to a lie detector test proved him the killer. Riven by shock, he confessed.

His conviction was overturned when new evidence placed him five miles away at the time of the slaying.

But the crime held the interest of many, including Donald S. Connery, a journalist whose 1977 book, "Guilty Until Proven Innocent," analyzed the case. 

After Mr. Connery unsuccessfully sought access to police records in 2003, he appealed to the commission. Ruth Epstein, the editor of The Lakeville Journal, the local paper that chronicled the case, filed a separate, similar complaint.

Under state law, once a criminal investigation is concluded, the records are public, with few exceptions. On Thursday, state officials said at the hearing that the investigation was still active, but that records of it did not exist. Dawn Hellier, a lawyer for the State Department of Public Safety, said during questioning that the investigation "would be active if any new information came in." But Mr. Connery said his research shows the state police have not actively investigated the case for 25 years.

Once someone, like Mr. Reilly, is exonerated of a crime, their police records are ultimately erased from public view but retained, said Victor Perpetua, the commission hearing officer.

Alan Neigher, a Westport lawyer who is representing both Mr. Connery and The Lakeville Journal, said the state was wrongly extending the erasure of Mr. Reilly's police file to the entire Gibbons murder case.

"It's dangerous precedent because you could be hiding evidence of police misconduct by using the exoneration of one person as the bootstrap to close files on the entire case," said Mr. Neigher, who also represented Mr. Reilly in the mid-1970's.

Mr. Perpetua said he would issue a ruling, but did not specify when. The decision on whether to open the file may be taken to state court.

Mr. Reilly, who is not a party to the complaint, said he wants the file open.

"I want to find out who killed my mother, and it's obvious they don't want anyone looking at it," he said, his voice rising. "I won't back down." 

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Margie

Re: Polygraph-Induced False Confession of Peter Reilly
Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 3:54pm
It was interesting to read your opinions and experience with the lie detector. I am very concerned about those who are wrongfully accused...such as yourself...or worse...those who go to prison due to a false reading on this type of test. My father was the private investigator (George Theroux)who gave Riley another lie detector test and found him innocent. So.....is it your opinion that the results of a lie detector test depend more on the tester's honesty and investigative ability rather than on the actual science of the lie detector?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Polygraph-Induced False Confession of Peter Reilly
Reply #2 - Jan 25th, 2014 at 10:42am
Margie,

It is my view (and established scientific consensus) that lie detector testing lacks any scientific foundation. No amount of good will on the examiner's part can compensate for this shortcoming, and polygraph chart readings are utterly unreliable as a means of determining a person's veracity.

For a thorough debunking of polygraphy (which is the brainchild of interrogators such as Leonarde Keeler, John Reid, and Cleve Backster, and not of scientists), see Chapter 1 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector:

https://antipolygraph.org/lie-behind-the-lie-detector.pdf

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Polygraph-Induced False Confession of Peter Reilly

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X