Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) FBI Rejection Letter (Read 75559 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box devastated2today
New User

FBI Rejection Letter
Apr 16th, 2008 at 3:44am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I applied and was granted a conditional job offer with the FBI as an intelligence analyst. I moved through the entire process without any problems. However, on April 15 2008, the FBI sent me notification that it was rescinding the offer. Here is the contents of the letter: 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is to advise you of the status of your application for a position with the FBI. 

Your application was reviewed along with those of other applicants. I regret to inform you that after careful consideration of the requirements for FBI employment, you were not selected. As a result, we must rescind our Conditional Job Offer. In making this decision, we conducted an objective assessment of the information available to us and the needs of our organization. The choice between the many qualified candidates is a difficult one, and I regret that we are unable to offer you a more favorable decision. 

Our action to rescind your Conditional Job Offer does not consitute a security denial. On future security applications and forms you may affirm, insofar as it relates to this section, you were not denied a security clearance. 

Thank you for your interest in the FBI. We wish you well in your future endeavors. [/size][/i]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see, the FBI provided no reason for rescinding my application. It alludes to the fact that I wasn't selected out of many applications, but this step was conducted at the beginning of the process. As a result of my selection, I only needed to pass the latter stages which include polygraph test, drug test, and background investigation. 

What do you guys think?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: FBI Rejection Letter
Reply #1 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 3:54am
I'm not sure what to make of this, but I think you should file a Privacy Act request for your FBI file to see what's in it.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 12:37pm
I have a question about filing for my file. If the FBI is stating that I wasn't denied a security clearance, then what would be in that file to encourage them to rescind my offer. I am under the impression that the file only contains information that would act to make someone unsuitable for a security clearance. In my case, they are stating that I should not take their decision as an indication that I am unsuitabe for a security clearance. So, if I am not unsuitable and the latter stages of the process are not for selecting candidates but for determing their suitablility for security clearance, then why did they rescind my offer because I wasn't selected. Am I off base on the illogical nature of their response? If you have already been selected, then how can they come and say that you aren't selected anymore? 

However, I don't have much choice. I wil go ahead and file. In addition, I have sent letters to my congressional representatives explaining what I told you. I don't have much hope, but one of my representatives is the majority whip in the House and he might take pity on me and use his influence to help a constituent out. As I said, all my options are shots in the dark. What do you think about me calling my contact at the FBI? 

I will try to keep you up to date.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 12:57pm
I agree that it seems illogical for the FBI to extend a conditional offer of employment and then to rescind it when the applicant has presumably passed all succeeding stages of the hiring process. Perhaps the information in your FBI file will shed light on the reason for your non-selection.

I think calling your applicant coordinator to inquire about this is a good idea. He or she might be able to tell you why the FBI withdrew the offer of employment.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 3:31pm
Just to add some more heat to this fire. I just pulled this from the FBI website: 
-
1. Interview/Testing
The most competitive candidates will be contacted to schedule interviews and testing. Candidates will receive details regarding the format, location and time of the interview upon notification. In order to expedite the background investigation process, candidates may be required to bring completed forms including the SF-86 to the interview. Please note that candidates may also be required to provide a writing sample, and that candidates who indicated specialized experience (e.g., foreign language proficiency) may be scheduled for additional testing in their field of expertise.

2. Conditional Job Offer
Candidates who pass the interview/testing phase are eligible to receive a conditional job offer for employment as an Intelligence Analyst. The conditional job offer will include the position title, GS pay grade, salary and optional recruitment incentive information. Conditional job offers are contingent upon a favorable adjudication in the background process, budgetary requirements and meeting the critical skills needed by the FBI.

3. FBI Background Investigation
Candidates who receive a conditional job offer will need to get a Top Secret-SCI security clearance from the FBI in order to start working as an Intelligence Analyst. The background investigation includes a polygraph examination, credit and arrest checks, interviews with associates, references, past employers and neighbors, and verification of educational achievements. The average background investigation takes approximately 120 days, but may take longer depending on where an applicant has lived, worked, or traveled. See Details about the FBI Background Investigation for more information.

4. Placement 
Upon successful completion of the background investigation, candidates officially join the FBI as Intelligence Analysts. After reporting to Quantico for training, new Intelligence Analysts will be placed either at Headquarters or in a specific Field Office based on the posting applied for and/or the needs of the FBI. 
-

Pay close attention to the transition from step 3 to step 4. If you pass step three, then you should move on to placement. Instead, the FBI moved me to the door.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nopolycop
Especially Senior User

Reply #5 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 10:57pm
Just move on... They have decided they don't want you.  Don't spend another minute of your life working on the issue, it will be a minute of your life wasted, which you will NEVER get back.

"Although the degree of reliability of polygraph evidence may depend upon a variety of identifiable factors, there is simply no way to know in a particular case whether a polygraph examiner's Conclusion is accurate, because certain doubts and uncertainties plague even the best polygraph exams."  (Justice Clarence Thomas writing in United States v. Scheffer, 523 U.S. 303, 118 S.Ct. 1261, 140 L.Ed.2d 413, 1998.)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box NancyDrew
New User

Reply #6 - Apr 21st, 2008 at 5:04am
I had a similar experience with the CIA. After a thoughtfuol review of all the info that is part of the background check I decided it was amy credit score that made me a risk.

I've chosen to reapply, and have also applied for IA with other agencies...

Nancy

IP Logged

New User

Reply #7 - Apr 21st, 2008 at 1:35pm
If your credit score was the problem, wouldn't you be sent a letter stating that you were rejected on the basis of a failed background check? It is my impression, once that happens, the CIA would be required to send you the reason--the credit score score. 

So, did you utilize your congressional representatives or did you just go the FOIA way? If you did the latter, how long did it take  you to get the information?

IP Logged

New User

Reply #8 - Apr 21st, 2008 at 3:05pm
I had to search myself to think about what might have DQ'd me. My rejection letter was I guess you could say hopeful. It suggested that after I gave thought to this DQ and if I think I cleared it up, I was encouraged to reapply after a year.

There were 3 things that I think DQ'd me. My credit scores were low (680s-694). A business tax was only partially paid to the city, and I was not really tight and exacting on the pre security check info form. (This was my first entry into the world of security clearance, and I just didn't take it seriously in a rigorous way.

I have cleaned all this up. Credit scores are now in the 735s, taxes paid and I completed the security form for the FBI in a way so tight it could crush charcoal into diamond. And just last Saturday I reapplied.

My experience has taught me that there are reasons for these experiences. NOW... if they reject me, I will know it is not because I'm not clean, it is because I don't fit into their slots, and I'll keep looking elsewhere. I don't believe in forcing these experiences. I thought about FOIA, but decided that it would be seen as antagonistic and if I did want to reapply, that could not serve me well.  Angry

I also decided they could redact in such a way that it wasn't going to be particularly helpful. They believe in their procedures for a reason and they're not going to change them because I  think they need me and I want to do this kind of work.

{This may be nearing off-topic territory. Feel free to message me privately.}

My $.02

Nancy Drew Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anonanon

Reply #9 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 3:26pm
I got the same letter after falsely failing a polygraph.  I assume that the "not constitute a security denial" is a load of crap, because what other reason could there be?  My only question is, how do I appeal the polygraph now?  I assume that if I write a letter explaining that I did not lie, they will write back saying that I wasn't denied a clearance because of my (false) failure, so it's no problem, then when I apply for any other job requiring a clearance, I will be denied because of the failed poly.  Help!!!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #10 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 6:57pm
You really can't appeal a polygraph.  You might be able to request a "retest", but they will just fail you again.  If they were to pass you on a retest, that would be admitting they made a mistake on the first one.  They will never admit they made a mistake.

And, yes, a failed polygraph will follow you where ever you apply.  You might even get a call from your friendly neighborhood FBI special agent wanting to talk to you.  I did when I failed my polygraph.

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

New User

Reply #11 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 9:57pm
(Though some here would know better than I) There is  a difference between a failed polygraph and an inconclusive polygraph. At one session several people were sent home from teh session... ostensibly they "failed" or were found to be trying to confound the polygraph.

I had an inconclusive poly and was asked to return for another, also found inconclusive. Background check was started but I quickly rec'd a letter like yours, a retraction letter. I decided it was for financial reasons, and the manpower was never really engaged in the background check. All was determined by the computer checks run. (bank, taxes, ect...)

1 year later, different job, different agency, different examiner I had a poly found to be inconclusive. The background check was initiated anyway, progressed through manpower on the ground (interviewing friends, employers, roommates, etc....) My FICO has tremendously improved since last year. I assume the computer check came back clear and the interviews began.

It's a crazy process.  Cheesy

You'll need to search your soul to think about what might have caused the retraction of the offer. These processes are intact (polygraph notwithstanding) for a reason.

Nancy Drew

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #12 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 3:08am
Readers,

The FBI has been very sensitive to the perception and image of the applicant process.

The tides are turning as the unusually high amount of applicants for FBI positions has subsided after 9/11.

They point out that your security clearance is not negatively affected by a letter which recinds your conditional offer of acceptance in avoidance of running astray of legal hiring guidelines and your right to face your "accuser" which denied you the opportunity of the position.

At this point in life, all I can say is thank your lucky stars you are not invited into an organization that does not want you.

It is a "good-ole-boys club" and membership is restricted to the elite.  Only "the best of the best" to quote the Men In Black.  A very sad commentary that the absurd in movie town in more and more resembling the reality of the Department of Justice.

Move on and forget FBI employment.  It might be the best thing that you do for the country and yourself.

Regards.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nopolycop
Especially Senior User

Reply #13 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 3:05pm
F.C.

I would agree.  I have met a lot of current and former F.B.I. agents, and none were happy, (except the former ones).

"Although the degree of reliability of polygraph evidence may depend upon a variety of identifiable factors, there is simply no way to know in a particular case whether a polygraph examiner's Conclusion is accurate, because certain doubts and uncertainties plague even the best polygraph exams."  (Justice Clarence Thomas writing in United States v. Scheffer, 523 U.S. 303, 118 S.Ct. 1261, 140 L.Ed.2d 413, 1998.)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box goofbal
New User

Reply #14 - Jul 12th, 2008 at 2:43pm
I just received the exact letter yesterday and am not sure how to handle it.  Any advice on this?  Please help.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
FBI Rejection Letter

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X