Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Registered Users (Read 16383 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box sackett
Especially Senior User

Registered Users
Mar 1st, 2008 at 6:36am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
George,

I do not like your site.  The reason is simple.  I believe your site hurts the honest and leads the ignorant and misinformed to act in a way that will likely cause them problems during their testing.  The guilty will take care of themselves...

I do; however,  endorse your right to this site as a freedom of speech issue and while I understand many of your anti-posters will be against me, I hope you appreciate (at some minimal level) my desire to present an alternate and positive polygraph opinion.

Having said that, given the minimal number of people posting in support of your site, I was wondering how many people do you have registered and are capable of posting either pro, anti or neutral/curious?  

I was simply wondering and if you are not willing to disclose that information, I will understand.

Sackett

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Registered Users
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 7:17am
Sackett,

The number of registered users is posted on the index page of this message board. See the "Forum Statistics" box near the bottom of the page.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 5:13pm
I found that.  I was wondering if there is any registration reflecting their position on the use of polygraph.  IOW, how many anti/pro/neutral persons are registered here.  Also, with over 3 thousand registered users, how many posted more than once or twice? 

Maybe there is no way to know without querying that.  I was just curious.

Sackett

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 7:39pm
Quote:
I believe your site hurts the honest and leads the ignorant and misinformed to act in a way that will likely cause them problems during their testing.

IOW, you want to maintain the "status quo", in which the public at large, and test subjects in particular, go into your examination room believing the test is valid, scientific community findings notwithstanding.

It is much easier to manipulate the naive and uniformed.   

Pity more of them don't come here BEFORE being tested (hence the campus poster drive).  Most come here LOOKING FOR ANSWERS only AFTER  being falsely accused of lying.  Much to their shock and surprise.  Just look at some of the newbie post titles.

Quote:
Having said that, given the minimal number of people posting in support of your site, I was wondering how many people do you have registered and are capable of posting either pro, anti or neutral/curious?

If there is such a "minimal number of people" supporting the site, why are you so worried?

Quote:
I hope you appreciate (at some minimal level) my desire to present an alternate and positive polygraph opinion.

Here is an idea.  The pro-poly crowd has pooh-pooh'd the NAS report.  Why not start by directly addressing, debating and possibly refuting the conclusions in that report, rather than attacking the authors as being biased...etc., and accusing us "anti's" as just being a bunch of grippers believing ourselves entitled to federal employment.

On a positive note, you do at least try to put forth an argument, unlike other pro-poly types here who prefer to just rant and rave. 
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2008 at 8:05pm by T.M. Cullen »  

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 5:24am
"polyf",

You previously questioned my presence on this board. I replied why? Of course, with no response. 

Now, I have to ask, why are you trying to hijack this string?  I was asking the owner a simple question concerning the posters on this board, trying to identify their motivations and/or background. I was not trying to be "slick" or esoteric.  I asked it up front and direct..

In an effort to at least appear to be fair, please try to deliniate the difference between honest inquiries and statements made supporting what you clearly oppose...

Sackett

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #5 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 4:45am
Quote:
In an effort to at least appear to be fair, please try to deliniate the difference between honest inquiries and statements made supporting what you clearly oppose...

No.

Hey, you've alreading answered your own question in previous posts. 

We come here to have a "pity party".   

Background?  Mostly fed wanna-be types who feel "entitled" to a job.

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #6 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 5:02pm
T.M. Cullen wrote on Mar 5th, 2008 at 4:45am:
Quote:

No.

Hey, you've alreading answered your own question in previous posts. 

We come here to have a "pity party".  

Background?  Mostly fed wanna-be types who feel "entitled" to a job.

"polyf",

now, (in response I say), in an effort to at least appear to be sane, please try to deliniate the difference between my opinion of some of the posters on this board and the honest people duped into entering this site by the misleading claims of polygraph inaccuracies and over-inflated statistics of false positives, prejudice and accusatory examiners, etc.

Sackett

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #7 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 6:01pm
sackett wrote on Mar 5th, 2008 at 5:02pm:
now, (in response I say), in an effort to at least appear to be sane, please try to deliniate the difference between my opinion of some of the posters on this board and the honest people duped into entering this site by the misleading claims of polygraph inaccuracies and over-inflated statistics of false positives, prejudice and accusatory examiners, etc.

Could you please cite specific examples of the sort of "misleading claims" of which you speak? As the main point of entry to this site is our homepage, I'd be particularly interested in any examples of "misleading claims" there that you might care to cite.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #8 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 7:18pm
George,

I'm not here to give you credibility or assit in making your site more believable or trustworthy.  But, I will address a couple things to establish my point to avoid the perception that I am just here to piss off the "anti" crowd.  From your main page:

•      The consensus view among scientists is that polygraph testing has no scientific basis? 

No!  There was a consensus amongst those few who participated in the preparation of the NAS meta-analysis of specially selected research articles supporting their views [three authors I think (not sure) by last count according to one of your posters supporting the report] that pre-employment screenings was less than completely accurate (or words to that effect) and subjected to potential inaccurate findings and faults (All the while ignoring the fact that many “scientists” involved in this report were subject to the very testing they were criticizing. This little tidbit of information introduces questions of motive the report.  Meanwhile, specific issue testing reflects greater credibility and accuracy; a point you meaningfully withhold.

•      The FBI considered the creator of the lie detector test to be a phony and a crackpot? 

If you have to rely upon reports and findings from the 1930 and 40’s, then I can not attack your position.  Polygraph has come a long way since then and you know it. Of course, that is no doubted the reason you removed the old photo of an examination (not actually taking pace but for the photo op of the moment) and  replaced with your cartoon.  Isn’t it?  Did the photo (which of course was not taken during an examination), look too professional?

•      The man who started the CIA's polygraph program thinks that plants can read human thoughts? 

And your board members talk about research… Backster, I believe, established through his research that plants have reaction to destructive thought. Coincidence?  I don’t know.  Quirky?  Yep!  Does that remove the potential of reliability and validity from his findings and research? No!  Yet you would simply “poo poo” this information in support of your beliefs and self promotion…  Shame on you!  Remember Star Trek (sic)?  Handheld communicators?  Everyone thought what? BS!  Never happen…. Have you got one now?  Yep!

•      The foremost polygraph advocate in academia was discredited by a federal judge? 

Now George, the opinion of one judge does not make for fact.  It reflects good lawyering...

•      A prominent past-president of the American Polygraph Association is a phony Ph.D., and this premier polygraph organization doesn't consider it an ethics problem? 

I believe he has a PhD.  It may or may not be accredited, though I am not sure.  Many people I heard were duped by “licensed” universities and worked hard to get their degree; all the while not knowing they were un-accredited by the DoE. There are many colleges out there that are unaccredited and many more just outright selling their diplomas.  And many people have been duped by      them both, as well.  Look at the “inventor”, seller and maker of the CVSA.  I heard he bought his PhD from the store down the strip mall from his offices.  Now that, I think, is phony...

Finally, this issue has been addressed not only by the APA but the ASTM as well.

•      The longest polygraph school produces newly minted polygraphers in just 14 weeks -- less than half the time it takes to graduate from a typical barber college?

Cute!  14 weeks of very intensive class room and practical instruction requiring about 70 hours a week of work.  A bachelor degree is required (unlike barber school) and past experiences (though employment as well).  Further, much of their instruction IS accredited by an accredited university (now) and accepted towards graduate program work.  Furthermore, after the instruction comes an intense internship period of continuing instruction for between 2-4 months (on average).  Dang!  How come you don’t mention any of that…?

•      The Defense Academy for Credibility Assessment (the erstwhile DoD Polygraph Institute) suppressed a study suggesting that innocent blacks are more likely to fail the polygraph than innocent whites?

I’m pretty sure they published those findings, because I remember reading about it somewhere (and I am not in the “inside” crowd).  Meanwhile, published reports of research on the accuracy of polygraph gets “round filed” here… (hummm?)

•      The researcher who developed the U.S. Government's polygraph Test for Espionage and Sabotage "thought the whole security screening program should be shut down?" 

Don’t know anything about that and I don't use it.

•      The National Academy of Sciences concluded that "[polygraph testing's] accuracy in distinguishing actual or potential security violators from innocent test takers is insufficient to justify reliance on its use in employee security screening in federal agencies?" 

Addressed above.  Did you just simply restate the same thing to sound more believable?

•      Spies Ignatz Theodor Griebl, Karel Frantisek Koecher, Jiri Pasovsky, Larry Wu-tai Chin, Aldrich Hazen Ames, Ana Belen Montes, and Leandro Aragoncillo all passed the polygraph? 

Did they?  Do you have proof of that?  Did they pass, or did something else occur?  I know “Al” likes to post here, proclaiming his truthfulness…

•      Al-Qaeda and Iraqi insurgents know full well that the lie detector is bogus? 

Really?  Is that why they need your book, already translated in Farsi and Arabic…?  Don't you speak those languages?

George, as I have stated before, I respect you right to freedom of speech.  But do not defend your freedom of speech by declaring a freedom from it.  That is disingenuous and misleading to your readers! 

Sackett

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Re: Reply
Reply #9 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 8:26pm
sackett wrote on Mar 5th, 2008 at 7:18pm:
George,

I'm not here to give you credibility or assit in making your site more believable or trustworthy.

I would think that if there's anything false or misleading, you'd be happy to see it corrected. I know I would. In any event, I'll address your comments point by point below.

Quote:
But, I will address a couple things to establish my point to avoid the perception that I am just here to piss off the "anti" crowd.  From your main page:

•      The consensus view among scientists is that polygraph testing has no scientific basis? 

No!  There was a consensus amongst those few who participated in the preparation of the NAS meta-analysis of specially selected research articles supporting their views [three authors I think (not sure) by last count according to one of your posters supporting the report] that pre-employment screenings was less than completely accurate (or words to that effect) and subjected to potential inaccurate findings and faults (All the while ignoring the fact that many “scientists” involved in this report were subject to the very testing they were criticizing. This little tidbit of information introduces questions of motive the report.  Meanwhile, specific issue testing reflects greater credibility and accuracy; a point you meaningfully withhold.

Actually, if you read the article linked in the referenced bullet statement, you'll see that I'm not relying so much on the National Academy of Sciences report (which characterized the scientific underpinnings of polygraphy as being "quite weak"), but rather on a survey of scientific opinion conducted by David Lykken and Bill Iacono (which is cited in the linked article). And your suggestion that the NAS panel cherry-picked research that supported its views is preposterous. One of the criteria for choosing committee members was that they had no vested interest in the outcome of the review. The names of proposed panel members were published in advance on the NAS website, and members of the public were given the opportunity to raise any objections they might have to any nominees. Moreover, none of the NAS panel members were themselves subject to polygraph screening. That's a lie told by your colleague, TheNoLieGuy4U.

Quote:
•      The FBI considered the creator of the lie detector test to be a phony and a crackpot? 

If you have to rely upon reports and findings from the 1930 and 40’s, then I can not attack your position.  Polygraph has come a long way since then and you know it. Of course, that is no doubted the reason you removed the old photo of an examination (not actually taking pace but for the photo op of the moment) and  replaced with your cartoon.  Isn’t it?  Did the photo (which of course was not taken during an examination), look too professional?

I think the fact that the FBI considered the father of the lie detector to be phony and a crackpot is a salient one. Then as now, the marketing of polygraphy was way ahead of the science. The cartoon currently displayed on the homepage was chosen because it better conveys one of the key messages of that AntiPolygraph.org is trying to make known: that polygraphy depends on deception on the part of polygraph examiners.

Quote:
•      The man who started the CIA's polygraph program thinks that plants can read human thoughts? 

And your board members talk about research… Backster, I believe, established through his research that plants have reaction to destructive thought. Coincidence?  I don’t know.  Quirky?  Yep!  Does that remove the potential of reliability and validity from his findings and research? No!  Yet you would simply “poo poo” this information in support of your beliefs and self promotion…  Shame on you!  Remember Star Trek (sic)?  Handheld communicators?  Everyone thought what? BS!  Never happen…. Have you got one now?  Yep!

Cleve Backster is nutty as a fruitcake. Follow the link in the bullet point and just listen to some of his interviews. Real scientists have tried without success to reproduce his results.

Quote:
•      The foremost polygraph advocate in academia was discredited by a federal judge? 

Now George, the opinion of one judge does not make for fact.  It reflects good lawyering...

In this case, the judge was quite correct, and the record is there for all to read. (This and all the bullet points on the homepage have links to relevant documentation.)

Quote:
•      A prominent past-president of the American Polygraph Association is a phony Ph.D., and this premier polygraph organization doesn't consider it an ethics problem? 

I believe he has a PhD.  It may or may not be accredited, though I am not sure.  Many people I heard were duped by “licensed” universities and worked hard to get their degree; all the while not knowing they were un-accredited by the DoE. There are many colleges out there that are unaccredited and many more just outright selling their diplomas.  And many people have been duped by      them both, as well.  Look at the “inventor”, seller and maker of the CVSA.  I heard he bought his PhD from the store down the strip mall from his offices.  Now that, I think, is phony...

Finally, this issue has been addressed not only by the APA but the ASTM as well.

Ed Gelb's Ph.D. is as phony as a three dollar bill. As we've documented, he obtained it from an unaccredited diploma mill. He uses it to dupe the public in marketing his polygraph services. And to its shame, the American Polygraph Association doesn't consider his continuing fraud to be a violation of its ethical standards.

Quote:
•      The longest polygraph school produces newly minted polygraphers in just 14 weeks -- less than half the time it takes to graduate from a typical barber college?

Cute!  14 weeks of very intensive class room and practical instruction requiring about 70 hours a week of work.  A bachelor degree is required (unlike barber school) and past experiences (though employment as well).  Further, much of their instruction IS accredited by an accredited university (now) and accepted towards graduate program work.  Furthermore, after the instruction comes an intense internship period of continuing instruction for between 2-4 months (on average).  Dang!  How come you don’t mention any of that…?

The fact remains that it takes very little training to become a polygraph operator. And one doesn't really need a college degree to learn what is taught at polygraph school. The college requirement has been instituted to keep up appearances. There are no prerequisite courses, and a degree in English literature will do as well as a degree in biochemistry. Actually, a degree in English lit is better, because a hard science major is more likely to understand that polygraphy is sheer pseudoscience.

Quote:
•      The Defense Academy for Credibility Assessment (the erstwhile DoD Polygraph Institute) suppressed a study suggesting that innocent blacks are more likely to fail the polygraph than innocent whites?

I’m pretty sure they published those findings, because I remember reading about it somewhere (and I am not in the “inside” crowd).  Meanwhile, published reports of research on the accuracy of polygraph gets “round filed” here… (hummm?)

Nope. DoDPI/DACA did not publish the study. AntiPolygraph.org did! DoDPI/DACA suppressed it.

Quote:
•      The researcher who developed the U.S. Government's polygraph Test for Espionage and Sabotage "thought the whole security screening program should be shut down?" 

Don’t know anything about that and I don't use it.

See the linked article, "The Lying Game: National Security and the Test for Espionage and Sabotage" for documentation.

Quote:
•      The National Academy of Sciences concluded that "[polygraph testing's] accuracy in distinguishing actual or potential security violators from innocent test takers is insufficient to justify reliance on its use in employee security screening in federal agencies?" 

Addressed above.  Did you just simply restate the same thing to sound more believable?

This is not a re-statement of an earlier point. And you've offered no real reason why this conclusion of America's most prestigious scientific body should be disregarded.

Quote:
•      Spies Ignatz Theodor Griebl, Karel Frantisek Koecher, Jiri Pasovsky, Larry Wu-tai Chin, Aldrich Hazen Ames, Ana Belen Montes, and Leandro Aragoncillo all passed the polygraph? 

Did they?  Do you have proof of that?  Did they pass, or did something else occur?  I know “Al” likes to post here, proclaiming his truthfulness…

Yes, they did all pass the polygraph. Follow the links on the homepage for documentation.

Quote:
•      Al-Qaeda and Iraqi insurgents know full well that the lie detector is bogus? 

[b]Really?  Is that why they need your book, already translated in Farsi and Arabic…?  Don't you speak those languages?

I don't understand your question. I do speak Persian (Farsi) and Arabic, but I haven't translated The Lie Behind the Lie Detector to either of those languages. What is your point?

Quote:
George, as I have stated before, I respect you right to freedom of speech.  But do not defend your freedom of speech by declaring a freedom from it.  That is disingenuous and misleading to your readers!

What do you mean by defending my freedom of speech by "declaring a freedom from it?"

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box LALE
New User

Reply #10 - Mar 6th, 2008 at 3:56pm
Sackett,

Quote:

I believe he has a PhD.  It may or may not be accredited, though I am not sure.

Now who is being disingenuous ? Gelb acknowledged that his Phd was from an unaccredited online 'college' - (read: degree mill )

Quote:
  Look at the “inventor”, seller and maker of the CVSA.  I heard he bought his PhD from the store down the strip mall from his offices.  Now that, I think, is phony...

That is deflection. But, does that make Humble more, less or equally as phony as Gelb ?

Quote:

Cute!  14 weeks of very intensive class room and practical instruction requiring about 70 hours a week of work.

From what I hear (first-hand) its more like 8 weeks in class and the rest is 'internship' outside of class. Further, that 'class' means listening to hackneyed old Instructors war stories and how many DI's he's chalked up; and how damn good he is at it (polygrapy); and how to dupe the examinee (read: victim) into making admissions and confessions. Hell, you dont need a polygraph for that.. a tin hat with
a lightbulb will do the trick !!!

Quote:

A bachelor degree is required (unlike barber school) and past experiences (though employment as well).

MICJ do not require a candidate to have a college degree. A pulse will suffice.

Quote:

Furthermore, after the instruction comes an intense internship period of continuing instruction for between 2-4 months (on average).  Dang!  How come you don’t mention any of that…?

Because thats bs, that's why. That also why Marston school let their students out early - because the bs tank runs dry after several weeks.

Quote:
GM: The Defense Academy for Credibility Assessment (the erstwhile DoD Polygraph Institute) suppressed a study suggesting that innocent blacks are more likely to fail the polygraph than innocent whites?

Reply: Sackett:   I’m pretty sure they published those findings, because I remember reading about it somewhere (and I am not in the “inside” crowd).  Meanwhile, published reports of research on the accuracy of polygraph gets “round filed” here… (hummm?)

Of course you read it - dont you keep up with the literature and research ? You regularly infer that you do...why not this one ?

Quote:
GM:    The researcher who developed the U.S. Government's polygraph Test for Espionage and Sabotage "thought the whole security screening program should be shut down?" 

Reply Sackett: Don’t know anything about that and I don't use it.

Again, selective retention.

Quote:
GM:  The National Academy of Sciences concluded that "[polygraph testing's] accuracy in distinguishing actual or potential security violators from innocent test takers is insufficient to justify reliance on its use in employee security screening in federal agencies?" 

Reply Sackett:  Addressed above.  Did you just simply restate the same thing to sound more believable?

Because you have to be continually reminded, because you so conveniently tend to forget or ignore that the most venerable Scientific organisation in the west essentially said that polygraphy is bs. Sort of hurts you donnit ???

Quote:
GM: Spies Ignatz Theodor Griebl, Karel Frantisek Koecher, Jiri Pasovsky, Larry Wu-tai Chin, Aldrich Hazen Ames, Ana Belen Montes, and Leandro Aragoncillo all passed the polygraph? 

Reply Sackett:   Did they?  Do you have proof of that?  Did they pass, or did something else occur?

Sackett - you must be the only senior member of the APA that didnt know....

Quote:
I know “Al” likes to post here, proclaiming his truthfulness…

sidesteppping ... a nice dance to remember.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box notguilty1
Especially Senior User

Reply #11 - Mar 7th, 2008 at 3:42am
Sackett, 
For someone that claims that this site has few anti posters you seem to spend LOTS of time here doing what??
Why would you spend so much time getting "Hosed down" with the truth by people here who have acual proof that fasle positives are REAL!!  Yes, me included. I don't need reports I lived it first hand.
If your "science" was so effective and we were so few, you would not be spending this much time on this site making a fool of yourself.
Of course unless you really have to fear that your scam will eventually be exposed as just that a scam, and your days of sitting in judgement of others will be over and you'll have to accually get a real job.
When I hear things like getting info hre or anywhere can only hurt your poly results and that not being nice to your poligrapher ( scam artist) can only hurt you that tells me that polys are a scam. 
Sackett, get a life!!!! Grin

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #12 - Mar 7th, 2008 at 5:47am
Quote:
When I hear things like getting info hre or anywhere can only hurt your poly results and that not being nice to your poligrapher ( scam artist) can only hurt you that tells me that polys are a scam.

NO! NO!  Best to go in with a "blank slate"!  That way you'll be unbiased, and untainted by the venomous claws of the "anti" crowd and their maniacal leader GM! 

Along a similar vein, if you're in the market for a used car, worst thing to do is research ahead of time.  Just go to the closest used car lot and start yacking with the saleman.  They are there to help!  Just "open up"!  Let them know how much money you're willing to spend, and tell them you know NOTHING about cars.  They'll know what's best.

Undecided

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box notguilty1
Especially Senior User

Reply #13 - Mar 7th, 2008 at 3:44pm
T.M. Cullen wrote on Mar 7th, 2008 at 5:47am:
Quote:

NO! NO!  Best to go in with a "blank slate"!  That way you'll be unbiased, and untainted by the venomous claws of the "anti" crowd and their maniacal leader GM! 

Along a similar vein, if you're in the market for a used car, worst thing to do is research ahead of time.  Just go to the closest used car lot and start yacking with the saleman.  They are there to help!  Just "open up"! Let them know how much money you're willing to spend, and tell them you know NOTHING about cars.  They'll know what's best.
Undecided

And don't forget be nice to him!! Shocked

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #14 - Mar 9th, 2008 at 1:45pm
George, in response, 

Regarding Aragoncillo, you wrote, “Assuming the allegations against Aragoncillo are true, if he intended to commit espionage before being hired, the polygraph did not detect it, and it certainly did not deter it after he was hired.

First off, you know very well that polygraph can not divine the future nor can it determine the desires, thoughts or intentions of future (potential) actions.  This is a common misrepresentation of polygraph, especially in the media, as in the recent show Moment of Truth.  In any one show, they may actually only ask one or two “real” potential polygraph questions.  This leads the public to believe the polygraph has the ability to determine if someone is “thinking” about leaving their spouse, etc.  It is nothing but entertainment and blaming polygraph for not catching what someone did, before they did it is a preposterous notion.  As for catching him, after the fact, did he undergo an update examination AFTER his spying began?  How do you know an update examination was not the reason he was caught?  Just a thought as I have no direct knowledge of any intelligence activities; of course, neither do you.

Regarding Chin, you wrote, “Chin's espionage was facilitated by his having presumably passed every CIA polygraph screening examination to which he was subjected during the course of his career.”

Once again, I simply asked the question, did they all really pass or was that an assumption?  You clearly answered the question here.  BTW, you ignore the fact he was a double agent.  How do you or anyone here know, that factually he passed.  Many times the results of polygraphs in the intelligence community (I hear) result in investigations which result in their discovery then information collected is used to manipulate the agent and we, the general public never hear about it.  But that’s not possible here, huh?  Nope!  You have “presumed” and that is good enough!

Regarding Ames, you rely upon the rambling letter of Ames’ distain for the polygraph as “proof” he passed.  First off, I have addressed my thoughts on the matter previously.  Secondly, I never saw where he claimed to have passed or where anyone supports that assertion.  Can it be assumed by his statements, I suppose you make that nexus.  I’m not so sure.  I heard (somewhere) he never truly passed any of his examinations but due to his senior position in the agency and constant promotions that no-one could believe he was having trouble and nobody wanted to challenge such a senior officer.

These observations by me were made simply by looking at your statements through the links on the home page.  I can’t speak for all of the cases you cite.  

I can offer a question though.  What would our intelligence services be without polygraph?  While you decry the usefulness and ability of the polygraph; you provide no alternatives!  You wrench your hands at the prospect of screening test and their numerous false positives.  You research the bowels of the press to find any article that would suit your purpose.  But you offer nothing in the place of polygraph.  Would simple background investigations have prevented any of the spy cases you cite?  Probably not, since background investigations were undoubtedly completed anyway. The spy issue in this country would certainly be overwhelming without polygraph and for you to suggest otherwise is ludicrous. Your complaint seems to be employment.  It is unfortunate that there is in fact a false positive rate, but very low.  Meaning, some folks who feel they deserve a job and maybe they do, are simply not going to get it.  Life ain't fair, move on!  

Regarding your Lykken/Iacono study, their first line of the findings of CQT Error Rate begins, “Unfortunately, it is not possible to use the existing polygraphy literature to accurately estimate the validity of the CQT.”  So why exactly are you using it?

Their conclusions were, “Although the CQT may be useful as an investigative aid and tool to induce confessions, it does not pass muster as a scientifically credible test. CQT theory is based on naive, implausible assumptions indicating (a) that it is biased against innocent individuals and (b) that it can be beaten simply by artificially augmenting responses to control questions. Although it is not possible to adequately assess the error rate of the CQT, both of these conclusions are supported by published research findings in the best social science journals (Honts et al., 1994; Horvath, 1977; Kleinmuntz & Szucko, 1984; Patrick & Iacono, 1991). Although defense attorneys often attempt to have the results of friendly CQTs admitted as evidence in court, there is no evidence supporting their validity and ample reason to doubt it. Members of scientific organizations who have the requisite background to evaluate the CQT are overwhelmingly skeptical of the claims made by polygraph proponents. 

BTW, wasn’t Lykken the developer of the GKT?  A test with proven reliability somewhere in the 80-90 percentile.  Maybe I’m mistaken…

The article certainly outlines some deficiencies in the process, especially amongst research and inability to know ground truth.  I agree it is far from perfect but I also read a lot of insinuations based on other causes.  I read inferences based on opinion, but I read no CONCLUSIVE research results indicating it did not work. I read no CONCLUSIVE proof that it is biased against the innocent and I certainly read no CONCLUSIVE proof or evidence that polygraph can be beaten simply by augmenting the control questions.  This of course removes all consideration of an examiner or monitor and the various abilities we have as a profession to detect them.  This of course, is where you make headway.

And, unfortunately, because polygraph relies upon more than one science and the factors and variables are so very much out of the control of researchers, polygraph may never rise to the “muster” that scientists like to see as “proof” or “evidence” of viability or reliability.  Nonetheless, it still works!

Also, you wrote, "Cleve Backster is nutty as a fruitcake. Follow the link in the bullet point and just listen to some of his interviews. Real scientists have tried without success to reproduce his results."

OK, you got me there.  But, doesn’t every family have their strange eccentric uncle?  Does that make his contributions to polygraph any less important or viable.  He developed the CQT, which is one of the most researched and robust examinations currently in use.  He developed the numerical scoring process.  A process BTW to help reduce false positives and introduced the Inconclusive result.  So rather than throwing charts on the ground and making a decision, we have a more verifiable and replicable process in making determinations.

Again, any judge making a decision is limited to consideration of the information which is presented to him by opposing attorneys. Most lawyers are not supportive of the polygraph simply because it does away with the need for their jobs (relatively speaking).  So any judicial decision is based on the skills and ability of the lawyers involved, i.e. good lawyering...

Regarding educational presentation, the APA and ASTM have enacted rules in an effort to prevent misrepresentation of educational achievements.  If you find anymore, please advise.  BTW, all scientific and art communities having growing pains, and we’re certainly no exception.

I’m not going to argue with you over the education and training received by examiners.  You refer by implication that the DoD Poly Institute was ONLY 14 weeks.  Having attended that school you refer to, I was providing an insight that it was not a day school or walk in the park.  Further, the instruction at DACA (formerly DoDPI) is comparable with graduate course now used in (an accredited university) for inclusion in Master’s programs.  Regardless of length, hardly barber shop trade school. 

Regarding the one research document reflecting innocent blacks were more likely to pass than innocent whites, you wrote, “Nope. DoDPI/DACA did not publish the study. AntiPolygraph.org did! DoDPI/DACA suppressed it.”

You’re now telling me where I read things?  If it was not published, where did you get it?  Hell! Where did I get it?

George, it is fairly easy to see that some information you present it true and can not be argued.  Most information you present here, unfortunately is implied information as a result of innuendo, inferences and presumptions.  No, I’m not here to fix what you write, just point out some facts to make readers ask themselves, why does this site exist?  I know I can’t trust everything I read, so who is this guy that runs this site?  Who can I believe; whiny failures who want to blame the polygraph world for their lot in life?  How can I get at least one person to pat me on the back and say, “I know, I know”, false positive got me too…..

I say "The truth WILL set you Free!"  It will also get you a non-deceptive test result...

Sackett

P.S.  “notguilty1” wrote, 

“Sackett, 

For someone that claims that this site has few anti posters you seem to spend LOTS of time here doing what?? Why would you spend so much time getting "Hosed down" with the truth by people here who have acual proof that fasle positives are REAL!!  Yes, me included. I don't need reports I lived it first hand. If your "science" was so effective and we were so few, you would not be spending this much time on this site making a fool of yourself. Of course unless you really have to fear that your scam will eventually be exposed as just that a scam, and your days of sitting in judgement of others will be over and you'll have to accually get a real job. When I hear things like getting info hre or anywhere can only hurt your poly results and that not being nice to your poligrapher ( scam artist) can only hurt you that tells me that polys are a scam. 
Sackett, get a life!!!! "

Well “ng1” I have a life.  I also have the job I want, apparently unlike you.  And I stand by my statements.  This site has thousands of readers, thousands of registered users (probably most are polygraph examiners and one-time posters) and about four active anti-supporters.  I think that speaks volumes for the true number of “false positive” victims out there who are unable to move on in this world.  Especially considering AP comes in at the top 3 or 4 of every search engine I find.  You’d think you’re victimized brotherhood would be juuusssssttt a little bigger…. Sad

BTW, I don't know anything about cars; I just know when they work...

Have a nice life…

IP Logged

Registered Users

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X