Normal Topic Charles R. Honts Discredited by Federal Judge (Read 46815 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Charles R. Honts Discredited by Federal Judge
Nov 14th, 2006 at 11:19pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
A federal judge has called into question the credibility and candor of renowned polygrapher Charles R. Honts, a professor of psychology at Boise State University who advocates the admissibility of polygraph results. Magistrate Judge Janet F. King offered remarkably scathing criticism of Honts in a "Report and Recommendation" dated 4 October 2005 following a Daubert hearing into the admissibility of polygraph evidence in U.S. v. Ricardo C. Williams, Case No. 1:03-CR-636-5-JEC:

https://antipolygraph.org/litigation/williams/us-v-williams-daubert-report.pdf

See pp. 13-18, 24, 30-31, and the footnotes at pp. 21, 26, 29.

Judge King ultimately recommended that the defendant's motion to introduce the results of his polygraph examination be denied.
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2006 at 11:07am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box LieBabyCryBaby
Very Senior User

Re: Charles R. Honts Discredited by Federal Judge
Reply #1 - Nov 17th, 2006 at 10:57pm
Excellent post, George.

I really enjoyed reading the Court's decision.  Although as a polygrapher I disagree with some of the Court's reasoning, there is no denying that the polygrapher in this case was in error when he incorporated relevant material within his comparison questions.  As I read the test questions used, I immediately wondered how an examinee could possibly, under the natural duress of a polygraph examination, differentiate between the relevant questions and the control questions and respond accordingly.  I would tend to believe the inconclusive result over the no deception indicated result.

Charles Honts has participated in polygraph studies that are often cited by both the "anti-" people and the "pro-" people to support their differing opinions.  Both can't be right, and yet both use Honts' studies to back their views.  And now we see in this court case that Honts himself wants to have it both ways on several occasions during his testimony.  Very interesting. Thank you.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box stefano
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2010 at 12:31am
It's refreshing to see a university professor pulled on the carpet; their arrogance is often appalling and they are rarely held accountable. (not picking on Dr. Honts as most share the same annoying attributes).

The question formulation in the subject PDD exam is amateurish. CQ's 6 and 9, while being somewhat exclusionary in time, they are too much like relevant questions which can compete with the relevant questions via anti-climatic dampening. RQ's R6 and R10 use language like "being made aware" or "have an agreement" which are weak and can solicit conjecture.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box honestabe
New User

Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2011 at 4:53pm
This is one of the most positive posts on the forum. So many of the stories we read don't make sense, and this was a refreshing find for me. Thanks for the information.

IP Logged

Charles R. Honts Discredited by Federal Judge

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X