Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) On the lighter side (Read 29791 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

On the lighter side
Feb 25th, 2008 at 6:12pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
During an employee screening polygraph test, the polygrapher asks the test subject whether he has "Ever told a lie".   

The test subject anwsers in the affirmative.   

"Okay", says the polygrapher, "what lie did you tell?"

"I TOLD MY FRIEND I BELIEVED IN THE VALIDITY OF POLYGRAPH TESTS!!!!"   Grin

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Re: On the lighter side
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2008 at 9:46pm
Oh, Larry,
  You are so funny!   Wink

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box sackett
Especially Senior User

Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 10:52pm
T.M. Cullen wrote on Feb 25th, 2008 at 6:12pm:
During an employee screening polygraph test, the polygrapher asks the test subject whether he has "Ever told a lie".  

The test subject anwsers in the affirmative.  

"Okay", says the polygrapher, "what lie did you tell?"

"I TOLD MY FRIEND I BELIEVED IN THE VALIDITY OF POLYGRAPH TESTS!!!!"   Grin

Larry,

Here's a different angle which I take when confronted by a "non-believer."   

I don't care if you believe in polygraph or not.  Why?  Because it doesn't matter whether you believe in polygraph or not for it to work; IT WORKS either way!

Sackett

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #3 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 3:35am
I don't care if you believe in polygraph or not.  Why?  Because it doesn't matter whether you believe in polygraph or not for it to work; IT WORKS either way!

If a person is truthful, yet fails, then the test didn't work.

When Aldrich Ames passed the test while he was spying for the soviets, the test didn't work.

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 3:47am
Yes, yes, I know.  You and all the other false positives out there....

Then, you quote an (alleged) false negative. Huh  Are you really sure he passed??? Or could it be that due to his rank, position and access level,  the examiner's couldn't believe the results?  No, that couldn't possibly fall in line with your mantra, could it?  I'm sure you and Al are good friends and he told you all about it.

Oh Boy....! Embarrassed

Sackett

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box LALE
New User

Re: Reply
Reply #5 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 4:55pm
sackett wrote on Feb 29th, 2008 at 3:47am:
Y

Are you really sure he passed??? Or could it be that due to his rank, position and access level,  the examiner's couldn't believe the results?  

Thanks for clearing that one up. I think that many people have for long deduced that there are situational factors that play a part in the final call. 
So Sackett, tell us who you passed due to rank / seniority / internal politics etc. Is it a long list ?

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Re: Reply
Reply #6 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 1:06am
LALE wrote on Feb 29th, 2008 at 4:55pm:
sackett wrote on Feb 29th, 2008 at 3:47am:
Y

Are you really sure he passed??? Or could it be that due to his rank, position and access level,  the examiner's couldn't believe the results?  

Thanks for clearing that one up. I think that many people have for long deduced that there are situational factors that play a part in the final call. 
So Sackett, tell us who you passed due to rank / seniority / internal politics etc. Is it a long list ?

The answer is none.

See, this is the reason I rarely get personal.  Reason?  I don't really know anyone on this board well enough.  And, no-one on the board has the first clue to my background, etc.  If you did, you and some of the other ignorant (used to explain a lack of knowledge) posters would never say some of the crap that is spewed here about me.

Sackett

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #7 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 6:58pm
My guess is that you're an independent polygrapher, probably have your own office in the midwest somewhere, maybe St. Louis.  Been in the profession for a long time, probably since the 80's.  Which explains you entrenched position.  And why you  so keen in not having the polygraph exposed.

But that's just a hunch.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #8 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 9:09pm
T.M. Cullen wrote on Mar 1st, 2008 at 6:58pm:
My guess is that you're an independent polygrapher, probably have your own office in the midwest somewhere, maybe St. Louis.  Been in the profession for a long time, probably since the 80's.  Which explains you entrenched position.  And why you  so keen in not having the polygraph exposed.

But that's just a hunch.

"polyf",

BAD GUESS!  But what does it matter to either of us?

"Not wanting polygraph exposed?"  Then what the hell do you think I'm doing here and on polygraphplace?!  Otherwise, I've got enough friends...

Sackett

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box notguilty1
Especially Senior User

Reply #9 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 9:37pm
sackett wrote on Mar 1st, 2008 at 9:09pm:
T.M. Cullen wrote on Mar 1st, 2008 at 6:58pm:
My guess is that you're an independent polygrapher, probably have your own office in the midwest somewhere, maybe St. Louis.  Been in the profession for a long time, probably since the 80's.  Which explains you entrenched position.  And why you  so keen in not having the polygraph exposed.

But that's just a hunch.

"polyf",

BAD GUESS!  But what does it matter to either of us?

"Not wanting polygraph exposed?"  Then what the hell do you think I'm doing here and on polygraphplace?!  Otherwise, I've got enough friends...

Sackett

Sackett, what you are doing here is trying to patch-up all the holes in your "science" and rather poorly I might add.
Why else would someone in a "proven" business be so hell bent on logging on to an anti site EVERY DAY ??

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #10 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 1:34am
"notguilty1",

I'm not here to patch anything up!  As far as your opinion of my effort and success in my non-adventure to "patch" things up, it is afterall, your opinion.

Further, you will notice I do not feel the need to hide behind a moniker, pseudo-name or another's name in order to make some rediculous point about your standing or non-standing in life. 

I have never hidden my opinions or feelings and I try VERY hard not to attack those who would attack me, simply because of my beliefs regarding polygraph.   From what I've seen, the people who have failed their examinations and post here have nothing to gain from or lose by expressing their opinion except the comfortability of anonymity. 

Finally, why do you feel the need to point out my frequency on this board.  Are you suggesting I'm not welcome here?  Sad

Sackett

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EJohnson
Limited (No Attachments)

Internet Countermeasures
Yields Failed Tests

Reply #11 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 1:47am
"no guilt"
I see examiners coming here as sort of like this analogy; 

Say the most omnipresent website about automotive mechanics was produced and populated by people proclaiming that automechanics are all thieves, and their "Scantool (r)"---(the main computer used by modern technicians to indicate system problems)---although not perfect by anymeans----was repeatedly called a "money prop" used for unnecessary and costly exploration. After a while. mechanics would grow tired of all the unchallenged, inductive thoughts, and constant smear upon a square profession that ultimately helps people and even saves lives on occasion. Examiners are here on occasion to keep the HS down to a mere stench, rather than a plague.

Your silly little opinion, while it is your right, is annoying, wrong, and worthy of rebuttal when it is within the limits of sanity.

Am I clear about that point?

All men are mortal. Socrates was mortal. Therefore, &&all men are Socrates.-----Woody Allen  &&

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #12 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 4:59am
EJohnson wrote on Mar 2nd, 2008 at 1:47am:
"no guilt"
I see examiners coming here as sort of like this analogy; 

Say the most omnipresent website about automotive mechanics was produced and populated by people proclaiming that automechanics are all thieves, and their "Scantool (r)"---(the main computer used by modern technicians to indicate system problems)---although not perfect by anymeans----was repeatedly called a "money prop" used for unnecessary and costly exploration. After a while. mechanics would grow tired of all the unchallenged, inductive thoughts, and constant smear upon a square profession that ultimately helps people and even saves lives on occasion. Examiners are here on occasion to keep the HS down to a mere stench, rather than a plague.

Your silly little opinion, while it is your right, is annoying, wrong, and worthy of rebuttal when it is within the limits of sanity.

Am I clear about that point?

When poligraghers use thier "science" to ruin peoples carriers or to smear thier good name. Then the stench is bad enough.
Polys don't work to detect lies which is what poligraphers use the test to detremine regardless of what flip- floppong Sackett does on the matter. Smiley

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply to
Reply #13 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 5:15am
"notguilty1",

where have I ever "flip-flopped" on anything?

If you have a point to make, make it!  If not, wait until you have at least an intellectual opinion, before espousing knowledge of things you clearly are ignorant of...With your posting record, I would be  Embarrassed

Sackett

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #14 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 6:01am
Sackett!! My posting record is 100 % I am convinced that polys are not effective in detecting lies!!
You on the other hand said that "no poligrapher ever said that poligraphs detect lies" when I told you what my poligrapher said to me you said " I don't care what your poligrapher said"
Even though you stated that you continue to declare that poligraphs work...... flip folp flip flop flip flopppp. Grin

IP Logged

On the lighter side

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X