Normal Topic Question on beliefs (Read 3964 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box incognito
New User

Question on beliefs
Feb 15th, 2008 at 11:38pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I've been reading all I can on this forum, but have a few questions. I will undergo a polygraph about two months from now and need opinions.

A little background....smoked pot a few times in high school. Served twenty years in the military. Retired and got a job. After passing employment drug tests, I decided to try pot again to see if it was all I thought it was in high school....It wasn't.

Now, a year down the road, I am applying to my local PD that requires a polygraph. Do I 'fess up?

I can be a very convincing lier when I want to be (SERE training)...mainly because I make myself believe the lie before I tell it. Does this method work for polygraphs? I know from reading here that the polygraph doesn't measure lies, only reactions to questions so if I convince myself I haven't smoked since high school, will it work?

Thanks,

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box sackett
Especially Senior User

Re: Question on beliefs
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 1:37am
incognito,

let's try a different approach.  It seems your biggest issue is drugs, right?  OK, how about calling the dept you're applying with, find out what the drug usage tolerance is, then once obtaining that distance from your last drug use, apply?  This way, when you do apply and take the examination, nothing will be bothering you as you will have been able to be truthful; in all things.

A special operations/forces guy is asking about relinquishing your integrity in exchange for a job?  Doesn't sound right to me.

Sackett

BTW, no-one can convince themselves of a truth concerning a lie.  You may be able to control the outside, but you will still know the truth.  Just be completely honest.  That's the way to start a job with integrity.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 8:08am
Incognito,

When did you go through S.E.R.E school?  I went through October 1975.  Did they give you the water board?  I lucked out, but they threw me up against the wall more times than I could count.  Finally wised up and let my body go "limp".  They soon tired.

I am actually going to agree with Sackett.   Shocked

My complaint with the polygraph is that you can TELL THE TRUTH and still fail (false positive).

But you are talking about ACTUALLY TELLING A LIE.  If smoking pot a couple times disqualifies you from the job, then don't apply.

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

New User

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 3:05pm
sackett wrote on Feb 16th, 2008 at 1:37am:
A special operations/forces guy is asking about relinquishing your integrity in exchange for a job?  Doesn't sound right to me.

Your opinion. Unfortunately, I've lived in the real world for several years, and I have served my country honorably. There is not one amonst us who has nothing to conceal.

T.M. Cullen wrote on Feb 16th, 2008 at 8:08am:
When did you go through S.E.R.E school?  I went through October 1975.  Did they give you the water board?  I lucked out, but they threw me up against the wall more times than I could count.  Finally wised up and let my body go "limp".  They soon tired.

No water-boarding, but the rest of it and more.

I really don't know much about LE hiring procedures other than talking to my bro in law, who is a deputy sheriff. He said he thought his department asked if you smoked either in the past three months or since applying for the job. Does that sound right?

What are the general guidelines for the average small town PD, if any?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nomegusto
Senior User

Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 3:16pm
one. thanks for serving.
two. never surrender your honor for a job.
If you don't qualify for Marijuana usage, choose a different career.

semper paratus

IP Logged

New User

Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 4:27pm
And still no answers to any of the questions I've asked.....save a partial answer from Sackett

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nomegusto
Senior User

Reply #6 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 6:08pm
Can you convince yourself that the lie your saying wont show up as deceptive information on a polygraph.
Hmmmmm.

Good question, I don't have the foggiest idea. Now, you can say no to the drug usage all day till your blue in the face. However are you good at controling your non verbal indicators? Where you say one thing, and your body is saying something completly different. One aspect of the polygraph goes hand in hand with NVI's. The salination. When there is heavy doses of sweating, and your body is searching for something to quench there thirst is a indicator.  However if your using a CVSA, I think you might have a better chance of passing. 

Just some ideas to look at.

Did you find out the disqualification regarding marijuana usage?

However, I'm thinking you might not qualify because of the age, and the fact you do know better then to smoke it. Just my personal feeling. Either way, good luck.

semper paratus

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #7 - Feb 17th, 2008 at 7:36am
Your question has nothing to do with the polygraph.

Your question is essentially whether you should lie in order to get the job if you don't believe you will be caught lying.

Being a good police officer requires a lot of integrity.  Telling the truth only when you think you will be caught in a lie does not show integrity.

Tell the truth to your background investigator and you will be acting with integrity and honor.  If the department to which you are applying disqualifies you, so be it.  Accept responsibility for your choices and apply elsewhere.

If you are planning to be the kind of cop who only does what he should when people are watching you would not be the kind of cop I would ever want to work with.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Question on beliefs

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X