Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
AntiPolygraph.org
Make a Donation

Important: We strongly recommend that you use the free Tor Browser Bundle when browsing AntiPolygraph.org. (Here's why.) For an alternative, system-wide implementation of Tor, try The Amnesiac Incognito Live System. For better anonymity, guest posting is enabled, and you may use a fake e-mail address (e.g., nobody@nowhere.com) when posting as a guest.

Be aware that polygraph operators also read the discussions on this message board. If you wish to remain anonymous, be careful not to post enough personal detail that you could be identified (for example, the exact date of your polygraph examination).

Try the chat room to communicate anonymously with other visitors presently online. (Choose a user name and leave the password field blank.)

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Reply Add Poll Send Topic Print
Heart Conditions and Polygraphs (Read 7307 times)
Paste User Name in Quick Reply Box Upsddwnnsdout
New User

Heart Conditions and Polygraphs
Nov 18th, 2007 at 6:02pm
Mark & Quote Quote 
Hey,
Does anyone know if premature arterial contractions will affect the results of a polygraph???  Need to know!

IP Logged

Paste User Name in Quick Reply Box 1904
Ex Member

Re: Heart Conditions and Polygraphs
Reply #1 - Nov 19th, 2007 at 8:36am
Mark & Quote Quote 
Upsddwnnsdout wrote on Nov 18th, 2007 at 6:02pm:
Hey,
Does anyone know if premature arterial contractions will affect the results of a polygraph???  Need to know!

Premature arterial contractions originate in the atrial chambers (PAC's) or in the ventricles (premature ventricular contractions - PVC's).

There are varying underlying causes of both PAC's & PVC's -  most of which will produce unreliable cardio tracings on the p/graph.

Arrythmias(or murmurs) usually occur during the diastolic phase of the cardiac cycle - resulting in irregular and  'dropped' diastole tracings. This often requires frequent re-centering of the cardio tracing.

If your PAC or PVC activity is frequent and regular, you should be deemed unsuitable for polygraph testing.

Unfortunately, you would probably have to be in a coma before an examiner deemed you to be unsuitable for testing.

IP Logged

Paste User Name in Quick Reply Box Barry_C
Very Senior User

Reply #2 - Nov 19th, 2007 at 9:31pm
Mark & Quote Quote 
Quote:
There are varying underlying causes of both PAC's & PVC's -  most of which will produce unreliable cardio tracings on the p/graph.

I'm not sure how he knows that as what little research we have on them shows they do nothing as far as a decision of truth or deception goes.  Not surprising, given they are usually pretty benign and few require treatment of any kind. They don't typically result in an increase in BP, which is what we look for on a polygraph test.  It's a better question for your physician if you think it's a problem.

You'll find your physician might need an explanation of polygraph to make a determination, but if you want or need the test, doctors will often help make the decision (with the examiner) as to the appropriateness of polygraph.  Many of us have refused a person a doctor later cleared.  Examiners are trained to err on the side of caution when it comes to heart conditions of any sort.  There are a few that are so common (such as this and Mitral-valve prolapse) that they don't scare us as easily.

IP Logged

Paste User Name in Quick Reply Box 1904
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2007 at 8:11am
Mark & Quote Quote 
Barry_C wrote on Nov 19th, 2007 at 9:31pm:
[quote] There are varying underlying causes of both PAC's & PVC's -  most of which will produce unreliable cardio tracings on the p/graph.

Quote:
Noodle:I'm not sure how he knows that as what little research we have on them shows they do nothing as far as a decision of truth or deception goes.  

Noodle suffers from selective factual retention. What also transpires is that he has apparently never carried out any of his own research - published or not. His greatest talent demonstrated to date is the parrotting of "the literature and the reading" - which he has now also
claimed as his sole preserve.

Quote:
Noodle again: There are a few (PAC's and PVC's ) that are so common (such as this and Mitral-valve prolapse) that they don't scare us as easily.

Like I said, you would need to be comatose before BC deemed you to be unsuitable for polygraph testing.

IP Logged

Paste User Name in Quick Reply Box Barry_C
Very Senior User

Reply #4 - Nov 20th, 2007 at 9:46am
Mark & Quote Quote 
Quote:
What also transpires is that he has apparently never carried out any of his own research - published or not. His greatest talent demonstrated to date is the parrotting of "the literature and the reading" - which he has now also
claimed as his sole preserve.

First, that's wrong - yet another indication that you don't read the literature.  Secondly, even if it were true, why would that be bad?  That is what most here do.  Do you want me to hold you up so you can take a breath?

IP Logged

Paste User Name in Quick Reply Box KRAZYMOOFOO

Reply #5 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 8:03am
Mark & Quote Quote 
I recentl took a polygraph test and fail and i do have heart problems. My heart races from time to time and i do have high blood pressure prolems. The prblem with this whole thing is i was telling the truth and i still failed, I even failed my name. The thing is no machine no matter how much we rely on them can tell you about you. It cant look into the past or say whats on your mind. It supposedly can only tell you if you are being DECEPTIVE or not. Not if you are telling the truth or not.
And can one be deceptive about his/her name. Test of the polygraph have shown that a liar can pass the test and those you are telling the truth can fail. So my advice is to take this test at your own risk.

IP Logged

Paste User Name in Quick Reply Box Lena

Reply #6 - Dec 9th, 2008 at 11:13am
Mark & Quote Quote 
I have mitral valve prolapse with regurgitation and also a heart murmur. Can either of these conditions, seperately or together, produce a false positive during an examination?

IP Logged

Paste User Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Unbeliever

The Hague, The Netherlands
Reply #7 - Dec 9th, 2008 at 2:55pm
Mark & Quote Quote 
Lena,

While there is scant research on the effects of any medical conditions on polygraph results, it seems unlikely that such conditions as you mention would directly cause a false positive. But you should be aware that polygraphy has no scientific basis to begin with and is inherently biased against the truthful. False positives are common. For more on the scientific status of polygraphy, see Chapter 1 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector and the sources cited there:

https://antipolygraph.org/lie-behind-the-lie-detector.pdf

George W. Maschke
E-mail: maschke@antipolygraph.org
PGP Public Key: 316A947C
Bitmessage: BM-GtK3fjwGHLLcdRRsYU9eHRdPGxGabbuL
Twitter: georgemaschke
Tel/SMS: 1-424-835-1225
SIP: georgemaschke@ostel.co
Encrypted voice and text chat (XMPP via Jitsi): georgemaschke@jit.si
Postal mail: Van Trigtstraat 53, 2597 VX The Hague, The Netherlands
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep. -- Saul Bellow
WWW George W. Maschke  
IP Logged

Paste User Name in Quick Reply Box NikonCharlie

Reply #8 - Jan 28th, 2012 at 7:47pm
Mark & Quote Quote 
My friend Misty Croslin was recently told by prison doctor that she has heart mumor. She already knew because she was born with it. Failing poloy has caused her major problems. Embarrassed

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Reply Add Poll Send Topic Print
Heart Conditions and Polygraphs
Open Live Preview Live Preview

You can resize the message area by dragging the right- or bottom border.

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1: