Normal Topic Need some advice. (Read 3524 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box TnV
New User

Need some advice.
Oct 6th, 2007 at 3:58am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hey folks.

I'm a police officer. I'm also an Evidence Locker Custodian. A recent internal investigation emerged wherein some evidence was taken from an evidence bag that was under my care. I had nothing to do with the theft. 

They are talking about having me and a high number of fellow police officers (all who would have had access to the evidence bag) on the polygraph to try and discover who commited the theft. Without a confession, there is no other way to solve this investigation, as it is several years old. 

The problem is, I'm medically diagnosed as having major anxiety issues. I'm on a very high amount of medication for this and am going through therapy to deal with it, but I'm terrified that my condition will result in a false positive. After doing some heavy thinking and research into the polygraph, I've decided to decline the polygraph...should it be presented to me. 

I'm scared. Declining the poly may result in me being blacklisted as the guilty person. Taking the poly with my medical condition may result in a false positive. I'm looking for some advice or encouragement. 

Should I be worried about the poly with my medical condition? 
Should I volunteer to take the poly regardless? 
If I take the poly, should I employ counter-measures to guarantee the result I want? It seems somewhat unethical, but I don't want to be fired or be thought of as guilty for a crime I had nothing to do with. 

I'm very worried and I think this is the only place I can come to. 

Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Need some advice.
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2007 at 4:59am
TnV,

While there is no research on the effects of any medical conditions on polygraph results, if you are more anxious when answering the relevant questions about the theft than when answering the so-called "control" questions, you could very well end up with a false positive result. Note that polygraph "testing" has not been proven to reliably differentiate between lying and truth-telling in people without any particular medical conditions.

Before you make a decision whether or not to agree to the polygraph examination, it would be best to educate yourself about polygraphy. See especially Chapters 1 and 3 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector (1 mb PDF):

https://antipolygraph.org/lie-behind-the-lie-detector.pdf

Whether to refuse the polygraph, or to take it and employ countermeasures, or take it and forgo countermeasures, is a decision that only you can make. But it is best that you make an informed choice.

If you are a member of a union, you might want to contact your union representative to seek advice. I think it would also be wise to consult with a lawyer regarding your rights in this matter.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Lethe
Very Senior User

Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2007 at 5:07am
TvN,

You do not indicate whether or not you know and understand how a polygraph exam works.  If you do know how it works, the genie is out of the bottle and cannot be returned to the receptacle--a subject who knows how the exam works is unlikely to produce accurate results.  So, if you already know the truth behind the exam, I would heavily advise you not to let yourself be subjected to one--unless and until they explain to you why such an exam is likely to be accurate (don't hold your breath on that one).   

I am much less sanguine than George about the efficacy of countermeasures and would not recommend them.  If you are in a Union, I'd suggest contacting your Union rep if they start pushing you towards any boxes with wires hanging out of them.

Is former APA President Skip Webb evil or just stupid?

Is former APA President Ed Gelb an idiot or does the polygraph just not work?

Did you know that polygrapher Sackett doesn't care about detecting deception to relevant questions?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Oct 6th, 2007 at 5:14am
Lethe,

To be sure, I think the best way to avoid a false positive outcome is to refuse the polygraph. Countermeasures can at best reduce the risk of a false positive, they cannot guarantee that one will pass. In any event, I think it is in TnV's interest to educate him- or herself before deciding whether to submit to a lie detector test, and if he/she does submit, whether or not to employ countermeasures.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Lethe
Very Senior User

Reply #4 - Oct 6th, 2007 at 5:51am
Quote:
Lethe,
To be sure, I think the best way to avoid a false positive outcome is to refuse the polygraph. Countermeasures can at best reduce the risk of a false positive, they cannot guarantee that one will pass. In any event, I think it is in TnV's interest to educate him- or herself before deciding whether to submit to a lie detector test, and if he/she does submit, whether or not to employ countermeasures.

George, that is a logical and thought out position, and I respect it.  Under normal circumstances--indeed, under all other circumstances that come to mind--I would urge people to educate themselves to the greatest practicable degree before making an important decision.  But it is one of the great sins of the polygraph that, by learning about it, you could well be harming your own interests.

Perhaps we should engage in another decision-making trick, listing TvN's options.  TvN, assuming that you are presently pretty ignorant about how the polygraph works and that you are indeed innocent, I would suggest that your main options are as follows, assuming that no one else confesses first or that the investigation is not otherwise modified from its present course.
    (1) Remain largely ignorant of the polygraph and consent to take it.  You have a pretty good chance of favorable results, though probably not so good as they would have been if you'd never started investigating the polygraph at all.
    (2) Learn about the polygraph in detail, consent to take it, and...
      (2a) ...do not employ countermeasures.  Your chances of being cleared are much lower than under option (1) and chances of indeterminate results are much higher.  I'd guess the chance of you being cleared is only a little better than chance.
      (2b) ...do employ countermeasures.  Your chances of being cleared are probably about the same as under option (2) and if those attempts are detected you will be worse off than if you had simply produced indeterminate results.
    (3) Refuse to take the polygraph, being prepared to fully and vigorously state your reasons why.

All of the above options are mutually exclusive, except for perhaps the last one, from which you could shift to either (2a) or (2b) but not really to (1) since you couldn't really explain why you don't want to take it without knowing how it works, at which point you'd no longer be ignorant (if you are even ignorant now).    But along with any of the above options, you can--and probably should--be in dialog with both your superiors and the investigators (assuming them to be different people) along with any help you could get from an attorney, if necessary, or your union, if available.  Also, though you'd probably do this on your own, I certainly wouldn't suggest preemptively refusing to go on the box; if you decide to refuse, wait until they come to you insisting you take it.  Who knows, perhaps a guy they grill before you will confess?  That could happen, and would be a pleasant outcome, eh?

If you decide to educate yourself, just know that that action forecloses certain options to you, as damnable as that is.  TvN, I do not envy your position, or look with any sympathy upon those who placed you there--if indeed you are innocent, a matter about which I haven't the slightest information though I will presume you to be so.

Is former APA President Skip Webb evil or just stupid?

Is former APA President Ed Gelb an idiot or does the polygraph just not work?

Did you know that polygrapher Sackett doesn't care about detecting deception to relevant questions?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Reply #5 - Oct 6th, 2007 at 10:18am
TvN

If I could add one more option to Lethe's list.  You could arrange for a confidential private test that might provide a practical answer to your questions.

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Wonder_Woman
Senior User

The magic lasso of truth

Reply #6 - Oct 7th, 2007 at 12:46am
Lethe wrote on Oct 6th, 2007 at 5:51am:
Quote:
Lethe,

George, that is a logical and thought out position, and I respect it.  Under normal circumstances--indeed, under all other circumstances that come to mind--I would urge people to educate themselves to the greatest practicable degree before making an important decision.  But it is one of the great sins of the polygraph that, by learning about it, you could well be harming your own interests.

Perhaps we should engage in another decision-making trick, listing TvN's options.  TvN, assuming that you are presently pretty ignorant about how the polygraph works and that you are indeed innocent, I would suggest that your main options are as follows, assuming that no one else confesses first or that the investigation is not otherwise modified from its present course.
    (1) Remain largely ignorant of the polygraph and consent to take it.  You have a pretty good chance of favorable results, though probably not so good as they would have been if you'd never started investigating the polygraph at all.
    (2) Learn about the polygraph in detail, consent to take it, and...
      (2a) ...do not employ countermeasures.  Your chances of being cleared are much lower than under option (1) and chances of indeterminate results are much higher.  I'd guess the chance of you being cleared is only a little better than chance.
      (2b) ...do employ countermeasures.  Your chances of being cleared are probably about the same as under option (2) and if those attempts are detected you will be worse off than if you had simply produced indeterminate results.
    (3) Refuse to take the polygraph, being prepared to fully and vigorously state your reasons why.

All of the above options are mutually exclusive, except for perhaps the last one, from which you could shift to either (2a) or (2b) but not really to (1) since you couldn't really explain why you don't want to take it without knowing how it works, at which point you'd no longer be ignorant (if you are even ignorant now).    But along with any of the above options, you can--and probably should--be in dialog with both your superiors and the investigators (assuming them to be different people) along with any help you could get from an attorney, if necessary, or your union, if available.  Also, though you'd probably do this on your own, I certainly wouldn't suggest preemptively refusing to go on the box; if you decide to refuse, wait until they come to you insisting you take it.  Who knows, perhaps a guy they grill before you will confess?  That could happen, and would be a pleasant outcome, eh?

If you decide to educate yourself, just know that that action forecloses certain options to you, as damnable as that is.  TvN, I do not envy your position, or look with any sympathy upon those who placed you there--if indeed you are innocent, a matter about which I haven't the slightest information though I will presume you to be so.

Lethe, that is probably the most honest and sound reply I have seen from you.  'You have a pretty good chance of favorable results, though probably not so good as they would have been if you'd never started investigating the polygraph at all.'  I also would take Lethe's advice 'I certainly wouldn't suggest preemptively refusing to go on the box; if you decide to refuse, wait until they come to you insisting you take it.  Who knows, perhaps a guy they grill before you will confess?  That could happen, and would be a pleasant outcome, eh?'

Although I don't have any faith in Pailryder's posts - I do agree if you have a fear, hire an attorney and take a polygraph under the attorney/client privilege

TnV, if you truly didn't take the evidence, I have faith you will pass a polygraph with or w/o anxiety.  I have a hell of a lot of anxiety each time I sit in the hot seat and I have survived.   

TnV you said 'I'm medically diagnosed as having major anxiety issues. I'm on a very high amount of medication for this and am going through therapy to deal with it,  Does your superior know about this?  If so - the sup may be able to have all others tested before they even talk to you.  However, I think you should consult your physician and see if the doc believes you would be able to take a polygraph and if he does not believe you are fit for the polygraph - have him write a letter to your supervisor.  It's just that easy.  You never know, the polygraph examiner could also find you unfit to take the poly after asking about your medical background and prescriptions.

Regardless, get off this site and talk to your physician, supervisor and if necessary an attorney.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 1904
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 12:20pm
TnV wrote on Oct 6th, 2007 at 3:58am:

The problem is, I'm medically diagnosed as having major anxiety issues. I'm on a very high amount of medication for this and am going through therapy to deal with it, but I'm terrified that my condition will result in a false positive. 

Hi TnV,
Besides George's advice already given, you should have your health professional discuss your case with your attorney. As George infers, to simply refuse the test would prob not be the best route for you.

BTW - For interest sake, please advise us what meds (and dosages) you have been prescribed by yr
Doc.

Regards,

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box rice80
User

Reply #8 - Oct 9th, 2007 at 4:06am
TnV,

If you simply say no and refuse the poly then you automatically put your self in the guilty pile, reguardless of wether you are innocent or not. I also suggest talking with your doc and with a lawyer, maybe you can take a private exam and only have the results released if you pass it. 

rice

IP Logged

Need some advice.

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X