Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Polygraphy as Pseudoscience (Read 31450 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ex Member
God Member

Re: Polygraphy as Pseudoscience
Reply #30 - May 20th, 2017 at 4:18am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Oh, just to point out. I am not George. Call me Ark. I try to be the voice of a moderate here. I believe complete polarization is futile and boring. Look what's happened in our country recently. People who were once considered neighbors with a different political view are now considered enemies. I am not a polygraph examiner by profession, just an old kid that can't stop observing the damn universe.
« Last Edit: May 20th, 2017 at 4:39am by Ex Member »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dan Mangan
God Member

Reply #31 - May 20th, 2017 at 3:03pm
Dan Mangan wrote on May 18th, 2017 at 11:31pm:
Neal, in terms of its official corporate positioning, does Converus regard polygraph as science, or pseudoscience?

No reply. Seems odd, considering the openness and enthusiasm of Neal's original post.

It's not a complicated question.

Or is it?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Wandersmann
Very Senior User

Reply #32 - May 20th, 2017 at 6:19pm
Ex Member wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 4:18am:
Call me Ark. I try to be the voice of a moderate here.

Sorry Ark.  No room for moderate here.  This is good versus evil.  The East Germans that tore down their wall in 1989 came to understand that.   Ruining innocent peoples' lives to make a scam living and support a scam industry is pure evil.   Angry Embarrassed Undecided Cry

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #33 - May 20th, 2017 at 9:08pm
If it had not been for the moderate thinking of Gorbachev, the wall would probably still be there.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Neal Harris

Reply #34 - May 21st, 2017 at 2:35am
Ark:

Sorry for the delay in responding.  It was not due to a lack of interest.  I have triplet boys in 7th grade and twin girls in 8th grade.  I was in the mountains my boys yesterday afternoon and today.

I mentioned that I have never posted before on this site before.  I am a relative newcomer to your industry and I felt the odds of me being ridiculed for my lack of knowledge and experience were far greater than my ability to add something valuable to the debate.  My sincere desire is to learn from those of you that have divergent opinions and far more experience.

Ark, I did not understand your statement about the construct so I asked Dr. Kircher.  It is hard for me to keep up with him as well, but the gist of his viewpoint was that “Just another index of sympathetic/ parasympathetic struggle” was a "reductionist statement".  Further, he said that all psychological constructs can be explained by biological mechanisms and all biological processes can be explained by chemistry and physics.  ODT is a psychophysiological measure that distinguishes between truthful and deceptive individuals by using feature validity coefficients." 

On page 440 of Andrea Webb's dissertation (Table 4), you can see a list of these feature validity coefficients (i.e. the construct).  I have also added a list of the peer-reviewed science in a separate attachment.   

I don't know if this is the construct you were looking for, and if not please reply back and I will ask again.

Thanks.

Webb_dissertation_Oct_08_copy.pdf ( 261 KB | Downloads )

IP Logged

Reply #35 - May 21st, 2017 at 2:44am
Ark:

Sorry for the delay in responding.  It was not due to a lack of interest.  I have triplet boys in 7th grade and twin girls in 8th grade.  I was in the mountains my boys yesterday afternoon and today.

I mentioned that I have never posted before on this site before.  I am a relative newcomer to your industry and I felt the odds of me being ridiculed for my lack of knowledge and experience were far greater than my ability to add something valuable to the debate.  My sincere desire is to learn from those of you that have divergent opinions and far more experience.

Ark, I did not understand your statement about the construct so I asked Dr. Kircher.  It is hard for me to keep up with him as well, but the gist of his viewpoint was that “Just another index of sympathetic/ parasympathetic struggle” was a "reductionist statement".  Further, he said that all psychological constructs can be explained by biological mechanisms and all biological processes can be explained by chemistry and physics.  ODT is a psychophysiological measure that distinguishes between truthful and deceptive individuals by using feature validity coefficients." 

On page 440 of Andrea Webb's dissertation (Table 4), you can see a list of these feature validity coefficients (i.e. the construct).  I have also added a list of the peer-reviewed science in a separate attachment.   

I don't know if this is the construct you were looking for, and if not please reply back and I will ask again.

Thanks.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #36 - May 21st, 2017 at 2:59am
Quote:
the gist of his viewpoint was that “Just another index of sympathetic/ parasympathetic struggle” was a "reductionist statement".

He is very perspicacious; he is not the first one to notice my reductionist proclivity. I respect Dr. Kircher's work, so give me some time to digest this data.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #37 - May 21st, 2017 at 3:08am
Quote:
I have triplet boys in 7th grade and twin girls in 8th grade.

A very interesting probability exercise.

IP Logged

Reply #38 - May 21st, 2017 at 7:03am
Hi George:  The twins are adopted and the triplets are IVF babies, so it is not as statistically uncommon as it appears on the surface.   

It is good to see Dr. Kircher mentioned with respect.  My colleagues feel a great responsibility to protect his reputation and legacy.   

I have drafted a response to Dan about science vs, pseudoscience, but I want to sleep on it before posting.  Hopefully tomorrow.

IP Logged

Reply #39 - May 21st, 2017 at 7:10am
Oops, I meant to address my post to Ark, not George. Sorry Ark.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Wandersmann
Very Senior User

Reply #40 - May 21st, 2017 at 11:12pm
Ex Member wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 9:08pm:
If it had not been for the moderate thinking of Gorbachev, the wall would probably still be there.

Ark -  Actually, an excellent point.  You are correct.  If we could only find some moderates in the polygraph and security communities to lighten up on the Soviet-style banishment of people who have trouble with the poly.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box xenonman
God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #41 - May 22nd, 2017 at 9:07am
Wandersmann wrote on May 21st, 2017 at 11:12pm:
Ex Member wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 9:08pm:

Ark -  Actually, an excellent point.  You are correct.  If we could only find some moderates in the polygraph and security communities to lighten up on the Soviet-style banishment of people who have trouble with the poly. 

Maybe that will happen on the day that Americans will finally rush and then tear down the barriers surrounding Langley, in a manner similar to that moment in 1989 when the East Berliners finally rushed the barriers which surrounded West Berlin, and also forced their way into Stasi headquarters.

Until that exalted day arrives, I don't see much hope for serious reform of any aspect of the IC.  

Unfortunately I don't see any American version of Gorby emerging on the horizon!  Sad

What do we call it when every employee of the Agency's Office of Security
and Office of Personnel drowns in the Potomac?   A great beginning!

The best intelligence community employee is a compromised IC employee!
YouTube  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Polygraphy as Pseudoscience

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X