Normal Topic Do I have something to worry about? Help please. (Read 2554 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Spec
New User

Do I have something to worry about? Help please.
Jan 30th, 2006 at 9:26pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hello everyone, this is a little background about myself first. I have been in the Navy for over 7yrs active and almost 9 under a contract. My military and civilian record is excellent. What I mean by that is I have never had any problem with the law or no drug use, not even a cigarette. After my first 4yrs in the service I got out to pursue a career in law enforcement. At the time I was living in Ft. Lauderdale and started to process for Broward Sheriffs department. After getting excellent scores in everything I went to what I thought was an easy hurdle the polygraph. That morning I worked out, showed up early to the test in a suit ready to go. The examiner had as much personality as a piece of wood when we got started she became upset because my bicep kept pulsating, I don't know if that was caused by the working out or the nervous situation I found myself in. To make get to the point she accused me of doing all kinds of drugs and numerous other things. How can I do drugs when for the past 4yrs I was consistently subject to random drug testing? I spend plenty of time out in the middle of the ocean if I was doing drugs they would have caught it. So I came back into the service, now I am in New York and looking to start processing for the State Troopers. Once again I have done no drugs, and have an excellent record but I am extremely nervous about the polygraph and how it can stop me from getting what I believe I have earned. What do you recommend I do and how should I approach the polygraph this time? Thank you very much in advance. Undecided Undecided

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Do I have something to worry about? Help pleas
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2006 at 11:21pm
Spec,

I also have had the experience of being a false positive. Twice. If I were in your shoes, based on what I now know about polygraphy, I would certainly employ polygraph countermeasures to reduce the risk of a false positive outcome.

But before making a decision on how to proceed, I recommend that you educate yourself about polygraphy so that you can make a decision with which you will feel comfortable. A good place to start would be AntiPolygraph.org's free e-book, The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Spec
New User

Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2006 at 12:26am
Thanks George I will do that it just seems crazy to me that I even have to worry about this. If I had something to hide then so be it but I don't, it is pretty frustrating that I even have to waste time figuring out how to tell the truth. Now how do I answer the questions have you ever had a polygraph given to you before?

Thanks

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2006 at 12:44am
Spec,

After more than a decade, you might be able to get away with falsely denying having ever been polygraphed before. I don't know how long the Broward County Sheriff's Department maintains records on applicants, or if the New York State Police would ever find out. But if they did, your false denial, in and of itself, could be grounds for disqualification.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Do I have something to worry about? Help please.

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X