Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) FBI Appeal Process (Read 19637 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill Crider
Very Senior User

Re: FBI Appeal Process
Reply #15 - May 30th, 2004 at 7:39am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
well my theory is this. since I knew all this stuff, or at least belileved it to be true, I was utterly paranoid of the revelant questions because I knew the other questions didnt matter. 

so, why was I paranoid if i was innocent of the issue? Im not sure. some of it was perhaps guilt about witholding the detail of my research from the polygrapher. some if it may have been a classic sort of failure anxiety. The same sort of phenoemon that explains why I can shoot a free throw better than Shaquille O Neal. 

I dont know. I'm looking for answers from the polygraph community. Ive posted on polygraphplace.org and emailed 5 or 6 retired FBI polygraphers Ive found on the internet. I either get no response or some derivative of "Liar Liar, pants on fire"

Its cool if they want to call me a liar. I mean I did fail the test. BUt at least they could say....and here is some scientific proof of why I know you are full of shit. But they never offer any proof, just accuse me of having an agenda.

Im not totally anti-polygraph. Its a great interrogation tool I imagine for the person guilty of a specific crime. But I think its full of shit for mass general employment screening.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Reply #16 - May 30th, 2004 at 6:22pm
Pillpopper,

What you are describing makes perfect sense.  I have read through some polygraph literature (can't direct to exactly which publications, don't remember) that describe the machine as recording reactions to questions not based on truth vs deception but rather the level of THREAT the question poses to you.

Assuming you don't know the difference between relevant and control questions and you are not lying on the relevant questions, the examiner expects you to be more threatened by the controls.

Once you know the difference, however, the relevant questions will always be more of a threat to you simply because you know these are the questions you should not respond to.  This is really true by default - whether you are lying or not doesn't seem to matter too much at this point.  Worrying about not responding only causes you to respond... and fail.

This is my theory - this is also why the polygraph is lame.  Sorry to hear about everyone's trouble - I've experienced the same things for the same reasons.  Good luck.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #17 - May 30th, 2004 at 8:54pm
Quote:
Pillpopper,

What you are describing makes perfect sense.  I have read through some polygraph literature (can't direct to exactly which publications, don't remember) that describe the machine as recording reactions to questions not based on truth vs deception but rather the level of THREAT the question poses to you.

Assuming you don't know the difference between relevant and control questions and you are not lying on the relevant questions, the examiner expects you to be more threatened by the controls.

Once you know the difference, however, the relevant questions will always be more of a threat to you simply because you know these are the questions you should not respond to.  This is really true by default - whether you are lying or not doesn't seem to matter too much at this point.  Worrying about not responding only causes you to respond... and fail.

This is my theory - this is also why the polygraph is lame.  Sorry to hear about everyone's trouble - I've experienced the same things for the same reasons.  Good luck.

Annie and PP,

You are both on target. Matte (one of the best known polygraph authors) even goes so far in Forensic Psychophysiology Using The Polygraph as to say he found that when an examinee couldn't be manipulated into a control question denial he would still score the exam the same.

Matte:
Quote:
In those rare instances when the examinee
insists on furnishing an affirmative answer to control  question #23, the examinee’s affirmative answer is accepted and has been found by this author to still be an effective control question.

Presumably, the examinee's non-lie doesn't negate the threat value of the control question.

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill Crider
Very Senior User

Reply #18 - May 31st, 2004 at 9:39pm
well, i can understand that I suppose. The idea of answering yes on a polygraph when you are "supposed" to answer no would definitely cause a reaction in a normal person. But thats a far different issue than asking a control question of someone when they know its bunk no matter what the answer. here are some of the ones they asked me.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box last chance

Reply #19 - Jun 1st, 2004 at 8:04pm
Hi,

I am in the same position, requesting a re-test after a "not within acceptable parameters" performance on the test. I am not sure what to write other than I was honest on the test and I would like a second chance to prove my innocence.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should add to raise my chances of getting a re-test? I really appreciate it.

Question: after the test, the examiner said that he did not have enough results to make a decision either way so the examiner wrote up another test in front of me. the test included the "problem" questions and other questions that were asked previously. This new test was repeated three times, each time in different order. The whole procedure made me extremely nervous and "sensitive" to the questions. Is this a post-test interrogation technique or just part of the test?

One note: after my test I was told that my results could be judged inconclusive and I might be asked to re-take the test (obviously not).

Thanks.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #20 - Jun 1st, 2004 at 8:19pm
Bill Crider wrote on May 31st, 2004 at 9:39pm:
well, i can understand that I suppose. The idea of answering yes on a polygraph when you are "supposed" to answer no would definitely cause a reaction in a normal person. But thats a far different issue than asking a control question of someone when they know its bunk no matter what the answer. here are some of the ones they asked me.

I don't think it is complete bunk so much as marginal science. What most bugs me is that polygraphers largely use the CQT, which they seem quite wedded to, which requires polygraphers to successfully mislead examinees AND make questionable assumptions that the examinee can be persuaded to lie/worry about the control questions. This will not be the case when the examinee is informed and actually understands the true nature of the polygraph.

Another serious problem is that screening polys, except where actual confessions ensue, are not able to be measured for accuracy. Absent that, it is very natural and human for examiners to assume that virtually every examinee that fails is in fact deceptive on the relevant Qs. Everyone rationalizes what they do and thinks of themselves as "good" - something polygraphers with any training in interrogation will recognize. It is hard to look inward though.

An alternative, the DLCQT (Directed Lie Control Question Test), appears to be used in the DoE in spite of widely believed high false negative rates. Still, it can be given to examinees that are informed and I suspect the large majority in the DoE that are subject to these are informed. One problem is that, in it's formulation, it pretty much invites countermeasures - at least mental countermeasures.

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sharif

Reply #21 - May 16th, 2018 at 7:35pm
Hello everyone and thanks for helpfull comments and sulotions

I am an Afghan national, and have been working for.DOS about 3 years, i have passed my first poly test, but fail second after 2 years due to the shift duty and not being ready, 
Actually being fail with poly-test is a big loss out here, cant find job in any U.S agancy where i have good working experience and a written proof of valuable services which i offered during my duty, 
To be honest, i am not alier nor a criminal, have a very clear background in Afghanistan Gov and the long while i was working for DOS here in Afghanistan.
Can i apeal for my 2nd poly-test? and How? 

your kind answers are highly appreciated in advance

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #22 - May 16th, 2018 at 8:31pm
Sharif,

There is no meaningful polygaph appeal process for U.S. citizens who are wrongly branded as liars by their government's polygraph operators. I think the situation can only be worse for non-citizens such as yourself.

I think it would be best to forget about ever working for the U.S. government again. You will have been blacklisted.

Our book The Lie Behind the Lie Detector may be of interest to you to the extent that it will help you understand how you could fail the polygraph despite telling the truth:

https://antipolygraph.org/lie-behind-the-lie-detector.pdf

You may wish to share this information with any friends, family, or colleagues who might consider seeking employment with the U.S. government.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

FBI Appeal Process

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X