Normal Topic My experience (Read 4484 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box LedgerAloft
New User

My experience
Jul 26th, 2018 at 2:26pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
My overall experience was generally positive as I completed a CI polygraph recently at a government intelligence facility.  The one thing that surprised me is that I was accused of "using countermeasures."  I didn't even know what countermeasures were until I looked them up after I arrived home.  Before the test, I was advised to be aware of my breathing. As a result, I tried to be aware of my breathing and take even breaths during each question.  After the first test, I was advised to "do myself a favor" and breathe normally.  I was a little shocked as I was supposed to be "aware" of my breathing.  At the end of the testing, the examiner informed me that he knew that I had deployed "countermeasures" but that I had eventually passed after ignoring my breathing patterns.  To all polygraph examiners that may be reading this thread - NOT ALL applicants are using "countermeasures" especially after we are directed to be aware of our breathing. It is unfortunate that the examiner believes this about me... and that it is a matter of record at the agency (and is likely in the examiner's report).  I love my country... and the allegation about the "countermeasures" simply isn't true about my exam.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Doug Williams
Especially Senior User

Re: My experience
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2018 at 9:13pm
LedgerAloft wrote on Jul 26th, 2018 at 2:26pm:
My overall experience was generally positive as I completed a CI polygraph recently at a government intelligence facility.  The one thing that surprised me is that I was accused of "using countermeasures."  I didn't even know what countermeasures were until I looked them up after I arrived home.  Before the test, I was advised to be aware of my breathing. As a result, I tried to be aware of my breathing and take even breaths during each question.  After the first test, I was advised to "do myself a favor" and breathe normally.  I was a little shocked as I was supposed to be "aware" of my breathing.  At the end of the testing, the examiner informed me that he knew that I had deployed "countermeasures" but that I had eventually passed after ignoring my breathing patterns.  To all polygraph examiners that may be reading this thread - NOT ALL applicants are using "countermeasures" especially after we are directed to be aware of our breathing. It is unfortunate that the examiner believes this about me... and that it is a matter of record at the agency (and is likely in the examiner's report).  I love my country... and the allegation about the "countermeasures" simply isn't true about my exam.

Let me just point out a couple of things how about so-called"countermeasures". The first is that polygraph examiners are paranoid about countermeasures and have been ever since I invented them in 1979. In fact, the government polygraph school has used my manual, HOW TO STING THE POLYGRAPH, to teach polygraph examiners about these countermeasures since 1985. And they still use it to this day.

Secondly, the government knows countermeasures work - in fact they admitted that they know this when they prosecuted me for teaching people how to use them to pass a polygraph test.

Check this out: https://youtu.be/N3fHkCFxgQQ

I have been fighting the thugs and charlatans in the polygraph industry for forty years.  I tell about my crusade against the insidious Orwellian polygraph industry in my book FALSE CONFESSIONS - THE TRUE STORY OF DOUG WILLIAMS' CRUSADE AGAINST THE ORWELLIAN POLYGRAPH INDUSTRY.  Please visit my website POLYGRAPH.COM and follow me on TWITTER @DougWilliams_PG

Doug Williams
IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2018 at 9:34pm
Doug,
I had NO idea what in the hell the examiner was talking about. If the examiner thought that I was using these countermeasures I am not sure why I was permitted to "pass."  I wasn't subjected to any interrogation type questioning and it was all very cordial for the most part. I never felt disrespected or threatened, but when I was accused of trying to use these countermeasures, I was, admittedly offended.

Doug Williams wrote on Jul 26th, 2018 at 9:13pm:

Let me just point out a couple of things how about so-called"countermeasures". The first is that polygraph examiners are paranoid about countermeasures and have been ever since I invented them in 1979. In fact, the government polygraph school has used my manual, HOW TO STING THE POLYGRAPH, to teach polygraph examiners about these countermeasures since 1985. And they still use it to this day.

Secondly, the government knows countermeasures work - in fact they admitted that they know this when they prosecuted me for teaching people how to use them to pass a polygraph test.

Check this out: https://youtu.be/N3fHkCFxgQQ

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box John M.
Very Senior User

Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2018 at 10:54pm
Doug is absolutely correct. They are paranoid, but this can (and usually does) cause the "test" to be compromised. I'd say you were lucky.

Accusing someone of employing counter-measures is just one of the reasons that so many innocent people "fail". Once the polygraphist becomes an accuser, it's impossible for some people to not panic when placed under duress.

Hell, I was interrogated and polygraphed five times in three years.  Each session would last 3-4 hours and usually involved a lot of shouting. Him at me, and me right back at him. I was hooked up to the polygraph machine and asked the same question about 2,000 times. I know all about panic under duress.

Thanks for telling your story. Are you applying for a job that requires a clearance, or are you an existing employee?

"The polygraph examination is a supplement to, not a substitute for, other methods of investigation.  No, unfavorable administrative action shall be taken based solely on its results."  ~ DODI 5210.91.
Twitter  
IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2018 at 12:32am
Hello John,

This CI polygraph was part of a pre-employment polygraph with a well-known intelligence agency within the last 90 days or so.  

The whole concept of being accused of these "countermeasures" has been bothering me ever since. There would have been no reason for me to use countermeasures on a CI polygraph unless I really was a spy! I have never even held a security clearance before and have never had access to any classified information to misbehave with (and never would).

In my case, I was instructed to pay attention to my breathing.  That was the reason that I got into "trouble." I immediately discontinued any attention to breathing when it was brought to my attention.  I got the impression that the examiner automatically assumed that I knew a great deal about the polygraph process, which was NOT the case.

I never knew that there was this much controversy about the polygraph test.  Do you all think that the intelligence community will continue to require polygraphs for the foreseeable future?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beat_the_system
New User

Reply #5 - Jul 27th, 2018 at 12:27pm
Sounds about right.  Countermeasures work, and they work very well, especially mental countermeasures.  That is how I lied and passed the FBI poly.  The word is spreading that these countermeasures work and there is no counter-defense for these counter-measures, so all polygraphers can do is accuse someone of using them and hope that the person confesses.  I hope you pass.  The polygraph is a joke and more people are learning how to beat it.  I hope the world learns how to use countermeasures effectively and beat the polygraph, rendering it useless.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box John M.
Very Senior User

Reply #6 - Jul 27th, 2018 at 7:48pm
Despite the fact that people can learn to "pass" the polygraph, and innocent people are increasingly becoming victimized by it, it somehow persists.

The government has conceded to the fact that you can mentally prepare yourself to "pass" a polygraph by prosecuting @DougWilliams_PG. 

I'll bet the abuse of innocent people will be its ultimate downfall. Congress enacted the Employee Polygraph Protection Act in 1988 explicitly to prohibit abuse by polygraph. Here we are 30 years later, and the polygraph lobby controls Congress. By allowing the government an exemption to the Law, they have essentially opened the door to institutionalized fraud, waste, and pernicious abuse. It is truly unconscionable, but I have to believe that someone with a conscious is starting to pay attention.

#StopPolygraphAbuse
#EPPAforAll
@sammorter

"The polygraph examination is a supplement to, not a substitute for, other methods of investigation.  No, unfavorable administrative action shall be taken based solely on its results."  ~ DODI 5210.91.
Twitter  
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box JayGee
New User

Reply #7 - Jul 30th, 2018 at 4:29pm
My overall experience was generally positive as I completed a CI polygraph recently at a government intelligence facility.  The one thing that surprised me is that I was accused of "using countermeasures."  I didn't even know what countermeasures were until I looked them up after I arrived home.

Don't feel bad. I didn't look at anything either, ...until after my 3rd trip to the examiner (poly for a three letter agency). To me, there was no point to look. I would either pass the poly or I wouldn't qualify for a clearance because of the things I articulated to them about my past. For me, it was cut and dry. Well, here I was ... again... for round 3...

I was asked, "Have you looked at anything online about the polygraph?" 
I said, "nope."
He continued, "So you don't know anything about thumb tacs in the shoe? Nothing about countermeasures ...nothing like that...?"
I said, "no." (and now in my head I am thinking, what the hell is this guy talking about? I am DEFINITELY going home today to look this up)
He then proceeded to put my feet up on the footrest (yes there are reclining features in those chairs folks) and start with his rounds of questions. 

Needless to say I failed this round and was essentially called a liar. Funny thing was; they brought me back a fourth time, added some new questions, changed the format of some old questions and I passed.

IP Logged

My experience

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X