Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Las Vegas Metro's poly (Read 99375 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Raymond J. Latimer

Re: Las Vegas Metro's poly
Reply #60 - Jan 5th, 2004 at 11:41pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Undecided
I will try this one time.  Will the anti-polygraph people do a little research into just how many police departments use the polygraph in their hiring procedure.

Now look at all of the police departments in the United States(for a start) How many of these departments have unblemished records, no bad cops, no bad shootings just perfect records serving the citizens performing perfect police work?   

Seperate those perfect departments that do not use polygraph from those that do. What is the answer, how many use Polygraph, how many use only BI? 

Now go a little further and determine how many of those departments that rely solely on BI, are perfect?

NONE? How do you explain this?

Should not all background investigations be abolished?  Anybody who wants to become a police officer should simply report to the nearest police station , pick up a gun and a badge and go fight crime.

If this happened, then who would you blame?

Ray L.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box suethem
Very Senior User

Reply #61 - Jan 6th, 2004 at 6:17am
Ray,

My explanation is that the polygraph is not accurate...

Didn't catch Gary Leon Ridgeway - the deadliest killer in the U.S. ...

Didn't catch Aldrige Ames - one of the worst spies to betray the U.S. ......

Didn't catch any of the officers on the list....

Seems like if you apply in LV and pass the polygraph you get a badge whether you: hate mexicans, use drugs, molest children, rob, steal, lie or kill.

I guess your right ! They will let anyone have a gun and a badge!  Pass a poly and load your  service weapon!

This rant is not aimed at the good, hard working, honest cops in LV!

It's aimed at those persons who actually believe that the polygraph is accurate!

Ray you still did not explain how these officers passed!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box k-9

Reply #62 - Jan 6th, 2004 at 7:36am
I think that any department that uses the polygraph should understand how extremely flawed it is.  I agree that there is, nor will there ever be a perfect way to screen police applicants.  However, relying on the polygraph to decide who gets selected and who does not is a very poor approach.   Obviously there are going to be crooked cops in any department regardless of how thorough the background checks may be.   When a recruit is selected because he or she passes a polygraph exam, which is how many of these departments are doing it,  this is a grave mistake.  Many departments don't want to take the time to do a proper background investigation, so they do the bare essentials, assuming that the real issues of concern were dealt with during the polygraph.  Did you not read the post about LVMPD being criticized for hiring 147 police recruits WITHOUT EVER BEING GIVEN BACKGROUND CHECKS.    This statistic is a fact.  To compare polygraphs to background investigations is totally and completely ridulous.   B.I.s  serve a purpose, they are legitimate, and verifiable information is obtained.    Polygraphs on the other hand, are neither valid nor reiliable.  They often destroy innocent well qualified applicants' chances at their dream careers, not to mention the mental scarring and damage to their homelives  they can cause by falsely branding them liars.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jack Dawson

Reply #63 - Jan 6th, 2004 at 12:00pm
I have been reading this site for many months now.  I work in the public safety field so I have a bit of inside information about the polygraph and CVSA.  I believe and many of my peers believe that the polygraph is, in fact, not extremely accurate.  However, pre-employment polygraphs are an extremely useful investigative tool.  First of all, many people do not apply for law enforcement jobs because they know that they will face a polygraph.  The great majority of these people do have things in their background that will disqualify them so they just "throw in the towel".  Secondly, the polygraph does encourage admissions that would otherwise go undisclosed.  I am more than willing to admit that false-positives do happen and good canidates are lost in the "process".  Likewise, false-negitives happen too.  What we have here is a dilemma as far as the polygraph is concerned.  The truth is, even the most through background investigations can not always determine if a person is qualified to be a peace officer.  The polygraph, in this case, may be able to "persuade" a person to admit more than he was will to admit in the absence of the polygraph.  The polygraph is not perfect by any means, but it does serve as a useful investigative tool.  As far as I am concerned, I would like the polygraph to remain in place and be used in pre-employment screening until a more accurate device is invented.

Jack Dawson

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Reply #64 - Jan 6th, 2004 at 5:30pm
Jack,

The utility you believe exists (quite apart from the serious flaws you correctly acknowledge are present) with polygraph screening totally depends on examinees believing that there is some diagnostic value to these exams.   There is none (no such validity) and as more and more people realize this, the utility ship you cling to is slowly sinking.  Additionally the widespread knowledge of the successful use of countermeasures has all but made polygraph screening a complete (bad) joke and hopefully will lead to a Titanic rate of sinking.  And one further point...by definition a screening polygraph (as opposed to a criminal specific test) is not a useful investigative tool ...it is a fishing expedition...these exams are largely not based on any prior (investigative) information...and with many agencies they are not followed up by any collection of (investigative) information through a background investigation.  It (polygraph screening) is nothing but a fool's exercise and one becoming more foolish with the passage of time...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Christian

Reply #65 - Jan 6th, 2004 at 9:44pm
Very well said.

IP Logged

Reply #66 - Jan 7th, 2004 at 3:11am
You make very good points.  However, I never said I "cling" to the polygraph.  I simply stated that it can be useful in polygraph screening.  If the polygraph were to be banished tomorrow, believe me, I will not loose any sleep over it.  The polygraph is flawed no doubt, but it does keep a lot of unqualified people from applying for LE jobs.  I know many of them.  My son being one of them.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box A True Libertarian
New User

"Wake up it's 1984!"

Reply #67 - Jan 7th, 2004 at 10:15am
Your arguments regarding the "proactive benefits" of polygraph screening are flawed. In your postings, you detail both false positives and negatives associated with polygraph screening. What the hell is the benefit of a device that sometimes indicates that an honest person is being deceptive, or a dishonest person honest?? 

Finally, regarding your contention that the polygraph is an effective tool in discouraging  potentially, undesirable, law enforcement candidates from applying for such careers; I must respond. Based on your logic, socialpaths can beat the polygraph. Therefore,what do they have to fear when applying for law enforcement positions?

The polygraph is a fraud! 
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2004 at 10:02pm by A True Libertarian »  

"To seek the truth one must be willing to thoroughly explore all sides of an issue, even if doing so challenges an individual's core beliefs and values. To do otherwise, only lays a foundation for dogma and ignorance!"&&&&A True Libertarian!

IP Logged

jRe: Las Vegas Metro's poly
Reply #68 - Jan 8th, 2004 at 4:07am
The I encourage you to continue to fight to have the polygraph abolished.  I will in no way attemp to stop it.  I am still of the opinion that the poslygraph is useful to an extent and I have no problem with it.  That is just my opinion.  Best of luck to you all.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #69 - Jan 8th, 2004 at 6:59am
Jack Dawson,

Seems like if the background investigator asked you about your son, he probably would not have been hired.

If the polygraph was used he may have beaten it with countermeasures or simply passed  it like so many other people who should not wear badges.

What about all those people who were falsely accused.

They are not simply "lost" candidates!

They have to take the title of "liar" with them to their next application.

Now all these applicants who are falsely accused are supposed to be supporters of their local PD?

"I would call the police about those kids selling drugs across the street, but after what they did to me..."

If you can't trust the police, why bother calling them! 

IP Logged

Reply #70 - Jan 8th, 2004 at 9:12am
Suethem,

The canidates that were falsely accused of lieing on the polygraph and were disqualified are if fact, lost candiates to the agency they applied to.  The fact remains that they are disqualified.  Fairly or unfairly, no matter what title or catagory you put them into, they are disqualified and out of that particular job.

If the background investigator asked me about my son, I would tell they that I think his is a great kid and I would recommend him for the job.  A background investigator simply asking me questions is not going to get my son disqualified.

As far as people being false positives, if refuse to call the police because they do not trust them, well, that is a decision they will have to make.  If you failed the polygraph and then refuse to call the police when you would otherwise have, then I think you are a bit immature and are holding a grudge.  The police have a hiring "process" and if you want the job, you have to pass the "process".  If you can not pass, then you do not get the job.  It is that simple.  No one is intitled to and no one has a right to work in law enforcement.  The agency has the right to set the hiring standards they feel are nessessary.  If you can not meet that standard, then you should not get the job.   

So, what happens when the polygraph is abolished?  Then what?  Do you think the poice will stop hiring unqualified people?  Do you think the background investigations will prevent that?  They won't.  Any clever person could pass a background if they knew what to conceal.  Tell me, Seuthem, what do you propose is the absence of the polygraph?  What do you think the procedures for hiring police should be?  You say the polygraph should be abolished.   Tell us what you think should happen after that so that the police can hire only qualified people.  I do not have the answer to that question.  I do know this:  If it were up to me, I would leave the polygraph right were it is.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Reply #71 - Jan 8th, 2004 at 11:00am
Nonsense, Jack!  I don't know of any background investigator who would interview you (absent special circumstances) regarding what you think about your son (very much the straw man argument there).  Depending on your son's age and background, I would think present and former professional and social acquaintances (i.e., former ex girl friends are ex for a reason) would be interviewed looking for any consistently told problems and further investigating any developed problem areas.  Why in the world would anyone guess with a polygraph?  Polygraph screening has absolutely NO…let me repeat, NADA diagnostic validity.  Although clearly the norm for many departments this is nothing but utter nonsense if ascertaining the truth be important.    As far as the resting place for polygraph is concerned, as opposed to your suggestion, I would recommend that of J. Edgar Hoover who is reported to have said in a more lucid moment..."Take that damn thing and throw it in the lake..." (Or words to that effect)

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #72 - Jan 8th, 2004 at 9:43pm
Jack,

You help me make my point.  There is no "standard" when you use the polygraph! 

It failed to meet scientific standards and has obviously not caught many serious criminals, some who became police officers.  Thats failure in the field.

To say that the polygraph is a valid  part of the testing process like the 1.5 mile run, the O course, or the dummy drag is to compare apples to oranges.

The physical testing, the educational testing are all valid measures of ability-  the polygraph doesn't meaure anything!  Honest people fail.  Liars pass.  Where's the standard there.

Jack you should know that anything you do in LE has an effect on the public.  Candidates sit on juries, go to city council meetings, vote... 

Its my view that PDs that soley rely on the polygraph to make hiring determinations are pissing in the well. 

I also don't understand why you would recommend your son as a good candidate if he is not?  Thats not being very honest to the background investigator.   

Drop the poly and do a thorough background investigation,  one that requires more than some graph paper and ink...  You don't just use one source of information when conducting an investigation. Why do it with the hiring process?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box jay

Reply #73 - Jan 8th, 2004 at 9:50pm
Jack, if you think for a second that the polygraph is deterring bad apples from applying, you're not being rational.  This may have been true a decade ago, but today nearly everybody who has things to hide, will seek knowledge about polygraphs.  This will then bring to light the nonsense behind the polygraph.  What kind of moron would succumb to the belief that when a person is lying, his physiological readings will change.  One does not even need countermeasures to beat a polygraph exam.   How can a inconclusive be reached?  If the polygraph is a device to determine truth or deception, how the heck is nothing determined by the outcome of an inconclusive?  I really get sick and tired of  scumbags who act as if a false positive is not a serious problem that needs to be corrected.  See how you would like it if it happened to you.  You have no idea what kind of negative impact it has on people's lives.  It can destroy someone's home life, personal life, and happiness, but I guess that is an acceptable loss right?   As far as your comment about a background being easier to beat than a polygaph,  I don't agree.   I bet if you knew how many cops are hired who actually beat their polygraphs, you would change you tune pretty fast.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Pam

Reply #74 - Jan 9th, 2004 at 3:42am
That's a lot of bad cops for one department.  Here's another one for the list;  LVMPD officer Jason Woodard charged with 8 counts of sexual assault with a minor under 16,  2 counts of open and gross lewdness, and 2 counts of lewdness with a child under 14.   To think that this guy was arresting other scumbags for crimes like these, while he himself  was one of the them.  I find it hard to believe that a police department can hire so many dirty officers.  Who the hell is charge of the hiring selection of these damn degenerates.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Las Vegas Metro's poly

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X