Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Las Vegas Metro's poly (Read 99315 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box shadow

Las Vegas Metro's poly
Oct 14th, 2003 at 12:50am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Does anyone have any information about LVMPD's polygraph?  I have only heard bad reviews about it.  I have a friend who works for them and she said that their poly is b.s.  I was told from another person who works for the city of Las Vegas that LVMPD hasn't had good luck with their polygraphs.  I'm not sure what he meant by that.  I do know that their polygraph has allowed more than its share of bad apples to be hired, but I guess that could be said about any department that puts heavy emphasis on the polygraph.  The word I've heard is that they model their hiring procedures around LAPD's.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mr. D

Re: Las Vegas Metro's poly
Reply #1 - Oct 14th, 2003 at 11:02pm
My cousin is out there this week testing for them.  I work for a department in Utah and have tried to help my him prepare for our testing process, but he wants to be with a department with a little more action. One of our friends was dq'ed by them a little over a year ago because of his polygraph.  He has lived a very clean life and has never been in any trouble with the law.  He was very upset when it happened.                   He has since been picked up by a medium sized department in Arizona, and he is doing well.   Its really nuts how lie detector tests mess up so many peoples' lives.  I know that LVMPD does their polygraphs before any sort of background check.  I think it should be the other way around.  Better yet, take away the polygraph altogether.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box U.S. Marine

Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2003 at 4:30pm
My friend totally stung his LVMPD polygrapher last year.  He was very worried about his exam before, and after he was bragging about it.  He is now an official LVMPD cop.  How about that.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Wondering

Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2003 at 10:55pm
Quote:
My friend totally stung his LVMPD polygrapher last year.  He was very worried about his exam before, and after he was bragging about it.  He is now an official LVMPD cop.  How about that.

I see that your screen name is "U.S. Marine."  I was wondering if the Marines have the job of "Polygraph Examiner."  I have a friend of mine who says his son who is a Sergeant of some kind in the marines, does polygraphs as his job.  I just did not think they trained for that kind of job.  Does the marines believe in the polygraph? 

Just wondering.   

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2003 at 12:09am
Wondering

Maybe it's job training for when he gets out. Probably beats guarding the main gate.

Old Navy man

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #5 - Oct 17th, 2003 at 7:52am
Wondering,

USMC Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) 5822 is "Polygraph Operator."

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box guest

Reply #6 - Oct 17th, 2003 at 6:13pm
I took my polygraph with them just a few months ago and was told that I showed deception on the drug questions.  I've never done drugs, but apparently my examiner had a hard time believing me.  I also took and PASSED the LAPD poly a few months before my LVMPD polygraph.   I live in California, and I have talked to other people who have gone through the LVMPD testing process and I have heard other bad stories as well, not necessarily related to polygraph issues.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box California cop

Reply #7 - Oct 21st, 2003 at 4:07am
I have heard through the police rumor mill that they are losing a lot of strong candidates from their polygraph tests.  Similar to the LAPD situation.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box spike

Reply #8 - Oct 23rd, 2003 at 12:42am
Before I go any further, I will state that I am an African-American male.  Myself and two friends all tested for LVMPD at the same time.  My two friends are white, they both scored higher and ranked higher than I did.  Neither one was hired and I was. I made admissions to my polygrapher during my exam, which was horrible, that I thought would have ruined my chances of being hired.  I really dont want to go into detail about my polygraph experience.  I do want to mention that one of my friends that tested with me was told he had big problems with theft questions on his polygraph. He obviously failed.  He was never offered a job. My other friend who I tested with was dq'ed for reasons unknown.  When I speak to my friends about the job, I feel embarrassed and even ashamed. I know that they would be good cops.  One of them has decided to stay with his current career as a paramedic. The other is planning on testing for a couple of departments this next year.  I wonder if LVMPD is giving special treatment to minorities, and  they are using polygraphs to get rid of people just to open up slots for more minorities. Again I have to state that I am a minority, so I feel I can openly say this.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box someone

Reply #9 - Oct 26th, 2003 at 1:42am
Their polygraph is a crap shoot!  The saddest part about it is that some very poor choices are being selected as new recruits because the polygraph wiped out so many more than qualified ones. People need to understand that a polygraph test truly is a role of the dice.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Kona
Very Senior User

Reply #10 - Oct 26th, 2003 at 5:10am
Spike,

I seriously doubt that the LVMPD would hire you simply because you are an African-American.  You must pass through all the wickets, just like everyone else.  You must have come across very well during the entire hiring process.  Just curious, what did you admit to the polygrapher that was so terrible?  It is very possible that your friends were falsely found to be deceptive during their polygraph experience (nothing new here).  Whatever you did during your polygraph (complete honesty or countermeasures) you either did it right, or were just plain lucky (maybe both).  Be thankful that you got past that hurdle; now drive on!  Congrats!

Kona

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #11 - Oct 26th, 2003 at 12:44pm
Kona

What makes LVMPD different from other cities? Haven't you heard of the hiring quota system or are you just trying to be politically correct? Ever heard of the EEOC? A minority does not have to be qualified for a mandatory hire or promotion. Look at the city of Dallas, Tx. A Black cop, with a criminal background and failed his poly, was hired anyway. He was just fired because he continued to be a bad dude. City, County and State governments are directed to hire based on the ethnic makeup of the population.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Spike

Reply #12 - Oct 27th, 2003 at 5:48pm
Thanks for your replies.  I don't necessarily think I got hired only because I am a minority, but I definately think that it worked to my advantage.  As I stated earlier about my friends not being hired and I was. They were both much higher ranked than I was. As far as my admissions I made during my poly, I don't want to be too specific in details, but I will say that I totally confessed to having used certain drugs that I never mentioned prior to the exam.  When I made the admissions, my examiner told me not to hold my breath on EVER being hired.  He was wrong.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jack_T
New User

Reply #13 - Oct 27th, 2003 at 9:35pm
What you have to understand about the hiring process is that you probably weren't even competing with your two white friends. They put you in a class of other African-Americans and those are the people you were competing with. It doesn't matter that your white friends scored higher than you, because your scores weren't being compared to theirs. They compared your's to other African-Amercans only. That way they try to hire the best from every race.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Thomas

Reply #14 - Oct 27th, 2003 at 10:38pm
I see Spike's point. I think its pretty unfair that he gets hired after he made admissions about his drug use while others get the boot because they supposedly had reactions.  I understand affirmative action and how it works, yet to me this is just wrong.  How can a department toss candidates based on their polygraph results when they are letting certain ones slide by when the junk (polygraph) exams tell them these same ones are liars.   Do they or dont they believe in these ridiculous tests?  Spike, no offense to you.

IP Logged

Las Vegas Metro's poly

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X