Normal Topic Saddam's Loyalists Thwart Polygraph Tests (Read 13377 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Saddam's Loyalists Thwart Polygraph Tests
Jul 21st, 2003 at 9:36am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Rowan Scarborough reports in an article in today's (21 July 2003) Washington Times titled, "Saddam's loyalists thwart polygraph tests." Exerpt:

Quote:
Captured Saddam Hussein loyalists in Iraq are proving adept at beating lie-detector tests, frustrating attempts to find banned weapons and to learn what happened to Navy Capt. Michael Scott Speicher.

U.S. officials and military officers say trained interrogators in Baghdad have caught Iraqi Ba'ath Party loyalists lying while hooked up to the machine, which showed they were not being deceptive.

Officials attribute the lying to many factors. They say it may have become part of the culture of Saddam's regime to lie routinely. In other cases, the Iraqi intelligence service and Special Security Organization trained operators how to "beat" the machine. And there is the issue that polygraphs, which measure changes in heartbeat, respiration and perspiration, are simply not accurate.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Re: Saddam's Loyalists Thwart Polygraph Tests
Reply #1 - Jul 21st, 2003 at 3:21pm
George,
Gotta love that last sentence Wink

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Reply #2 - Jul 21st, 2003 at 4:12pm
And here we have, courtesy of the U.S. Government, one more massive screw-up in the war on terrorism.  We find ourselves fighting a 21st century war with third world technology and an experimental paradign/game plan with zero validity.  Although people everywhere are now questioning whether Saddam's henchmen could have beat us (even had any to speak of) with WMDS, presumably nobody should be surprised about his beating us through polygraph exams...

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - Jul 21st, 2003 at 4:33pm
They just have the wrong people over there doing the polygraphs. Perhaps the polygraphers frequenting this board, with their inate ability to sniff out CM's and their 82-100% rate of confessions should volunteer their services Grin

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Saidme
Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - Jul 21st, 2003 at 5:19pm
G-Man

The article states:

"U.S. officials and military officers say trained interrogators in Baghdad have caught Iraqi Ba'ath Party loyalists lying while hooked up to the machine, which showed they were not being deceptive." 

Sounds like a post-test interrogation to me.  But I guess you wouldn't know much about that except what you've read in books.

Orolan

I can't believe it's as low as 82%.  Gotta be in the 90's.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #5 - Jul 21st, 2003 at 7:17pm
Saidme,
I think it was Public Servant who threw out the 9 confessions out of 11 DI's, thus the 82%. Not as good as your 100%, but maybe he hasn't been doing it as long Wink

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #6 - Jul 21st, 2003 at 7:27pm
Not 100% but certainly up there. Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Human Subject
Senior User

Reply #7 - Jul 21st, 2003 at 11:41pm
Saidme, why do you attribute the interrogators' success at discovering lies to the polygraph?  I see nothing in the story to suggest they wouldn't have discovered the subjects' lies even if they weren't hooked up to polygraphs.

There are plenty of other ways to discover deception, like comparing statements to the known facts, or comparing statements made by multiple subjects.

The bottom line is the machines showed no deception even when the interrogators knew they were being deceived.

Notice also that no mention is made of the interrogators detecting the use of countermeasures.  They merely speculate that this is one possible explanation for the results.

There's really nothing to this story that lends much support to our reliance on polygraphy.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Human Subject
Senior User

Reply #8 - Jul 21st, 2003 at 11:53pm
Here's an example from the full article.

Quote:
In one incident, an Iraqi involved in a weapons program was shown two pictures. In one, officials cut his image out of a photo of workers at a weapons factory. He agreed that the cut-out image was of him. They then showed him the full photo, with his image restored. This time, he denied that he was in the photo. The polygraph did not catch him in this blatant lie.

Wonder what old Doc Marston would have to say about this?

And we rely on this technology as a method of screening applicants to sensitive government and law enforcement posts?  Nice.  So these positions are now populated by applicants who were lucky, lack a conscience, are effective practitioners of countermeasures, or some combination thereof.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #9 - Jul 22nd, 2003 at 12:25am
HS

Without an intimate knowledge of the interrogation you or I can't know exactly what took place.  We can speculate (SWAG) all we want (which happens regularly here).  In order to make an informed decision I think we would had to have been there.  Wouldn't you agree? Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #10 - Jul 22nd, 2003 at 9:49am
I think it is clear from Rowan Scarborough's article that he has a high level Pentagon source who is telling him that the polygraph isn't working.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box suethem
Very Senior User

Reply #11 - Jul 23rd, 2003 at 11:41pm

I guess countermeasues do exist!

It seems like they work too!

Surely these polygraphers were amoung the best- Hmmm!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Batman
Very Senior User

Reply #12 - Jul 23rd, 2003 at 11:59pm
When you're polygraphing the biggest ASSHOLES in the world, you have to believe that their CM's will work.

A really high level source in the Pentagon?  Well let's see, maybe a Major or Lt Col, or an assistant to the assistants assistant to the Deputy Under Secretary for bullshit.  Come on George, this is the media we're talking about here.  They have even less credibility than polygraph examiners.

BATMAN

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box suethem
Very Senior User

Reply #13 - Jul 24th, 2003 at 12:11am
Batman,

Your statement just confirms that the techniques (CM's) work.  If they work for terrorists, they work for regular citizens.   

I assume that they guys will be investigated thoroughly even though they have passed.  I doubt there is anyone dumb enough in the Gov to stand by the polygraphers findings- although you never know...

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #14 - Jul 24th, 2003 at 4:27am
What the hell is a regular citizen?  I'm stymied! ???

IP Logged

Saddam's Loyalists Thwart Polygraph Tests

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X