Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) FBI TESTING - What's involved (Read 22830 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Duc748
User

FBI TESTING - What's involved
Mar 3rd, 2002 at 8:54pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
For those of you that may be interested in going this route, here's a brief synopsis of the road that you would take.

Apply via internet or mail via a few forms that you must fill out. One of those forms includes whether or not you have used drugs in the past (and you could not have used drugs within the last 3 years of submitting your application.

If you have what the FBI is looking for through your degree and work experience, you will be given a date to take your Phase 1 test. This encompasses multiple choice math and ethical questions. Expect about 3-4 hours for phase 1 testing.

If you pass Phase 1 (you will receive a pass or fail notification in about 10 days of completing Phase 1 testing) and the FBI has a need to hire at that time, then you will be notified via mail of when and where to take Phase 2 testing.

Phase 2 encompasses an oral interview with 3 agents and a written evaluation to determine your ability to read facts and then present them in a logical manner.

Within 10 days of completing Phase 2 testing you will receive a conditional job offer for the FBI, assuming you passed phase 2 testing. If the FBI is still hiring, then you will receive a phone call to come take a physical readiness test and a polygraph shortly after you receive that conditional job offer.

Once the polygraph and PRT are passed, you will receive a phone call to take a urinalysis screening and have a medical screening for suitability to the high demands of the job.

Once this is complete and you passed everything, you will receive a phone call or letter for an appointment date to Quantico.

I'll stress this. There were several hundred people taking phase 1 testing, now there's approx 10 of us left after the poly and run-test. Not the best of odds, but do-able. If you make it as far as the poly, just be honest with the polygrapher during the pre-screening and honest on the test and you'll be fine. Remember, your character and ethics are under scrutiny throughout the entire process. 

If you choose to enter this long road, I bid you good luck.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box fifazip
New User

Re: FBI TESTING - What's involved
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2002 at 3:26am
Hey there DUC748,
   I was wondering why you didn't mention the background investigation as one of the steps you went through when being hired for the FBI ... is it because you already have a clearance???

fifazip

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box therock
Senior User

Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2002 at 6:12am
I may be wrong, but even if one has some type of security clearance in the military, they still have to go through the background process in regards to obtaining a security clearance for civilian employment with the federal government.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box rio

Reply #3 - Mar 14th, 2002 at 10:41pm
question--what does the physical fitness test entail?

IP Logged

User

Reply #4 - Mar 15th, 2002 at 5:38am

fifazip wrote on Mar 11th, 2002 at 3:26am:

Hey there DUC748,
  I was wondering why you didn't mention the background investigation as one of the steps you went through when being hired for the FBI ... is it because you already have a clearance???

fifazip

No forgot to mention it. The background investigation starts after you sign a bunch of consent forms, take a urinalysis and get fingerprinted. This investigation is done regardless if you have a prior security clearance or not.

Rio - the fitness test is nothing more than a 2 mile run.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #5 - Mar 16th, 2002 at 6:36am
Thanks for the info Duc ...
     Just out of curiosity, you say that your polygrapher was extremely professional and helped you through the process (I got that from reading your posts on other threads so please correct me if I am wrong) ... well during your polygraph, was there an "activity sensor" and if so, did your polygrapher tell you what it was for and calibrate it for you?  I am just trying to see if he/she was completely honest with you about this whole process.  I have been doing research much like you did before your test (both on this site and on polygraphplace.com) and I am struggling with whom to believe.   

Once again, thanks for your time. . .

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #6 - Mar 16th, 2002 at 1:07pm
fifazip,

I'd like to offer a suggestion as you research polygraphy and ponder whether Duc748 is correct in his belief that his polygrapher was completely truthful with him:

1) Read Chapters 3 & 4 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.

2) Go back to the message thread Honesty is better than deception, which Duc748 started.

3) In reply #2 to that thread, Duc748 indicates that his polygrapher asked him whether he cheated in school:

Quote:
So because I have the clearance I have, the polygrapher had to get some additional questions. In my past, I have cheated on a test in high school (over a decade ago), been arrested for excessive speeding and spent time in jail (again over a decade ago), but have never used drugs of any kind. After giving the polygrapher all of my details, he reworded the questions to move around certain security issues, and my test I cheated on.

Duc748 seems to think that the question about cheating in school was a relevant question, and not a probable-lie "control" question. Given what you've learned about CQT polygraphy in Chapter 3 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, is Duc748 correct in believing this?

4) In reply #11, Duc748 wrote:

Quote:
My control questions weren't ones designed for me to lie. They were "known truth" questions. And there were only 3 of them. Do you live in blank state? Is your name so and so? Are you blank years old? The answer was yes to all three.

Bearing in mind what you've learned about CQT polygraphy in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, was Duc748 correct in supposing that questions such as, "Are you ___ years old?" are "known truth control" questions? Could it be that Duc748 failed to recognize these questions as the unscored irrelevant questions that they are and naively believed his polygrapher's false explanation that the purpose of these questions is to "show what his responses look like when he's telling the truth?"

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

User

Reply #7 - Mar 16th, 2002 at 3:00pm
fifazip,
     I'm not gonna bother debating with George on any issues here, I'm just gonna tell you what was involved with my process.
     My polygrapher was straight forward with me and I with him in the pre-interview phase. He weant over all the questions he was gonna ask me and I gave him my answers. We then went over all the questions again after he hooked me up to the ancient looking polygraph. (The only sensors involved were the blood pressure cuff, the strap around the chest and abdomen and the 2 finger connectors. Nothing else.) That's not to say that you may have a different and more up to date machine and sensors than what I had.
     And as I said before, he admitted that the polygraph was not complete science and that several runs (6 to be exact) were done to look for any anomolies. i.e. a spike on one question that showed up in one or two of the runs, but none of the other runs.
     At least that's my understanding. These guys on this board make the whole affair to be more than it is. As far as they're concerned, the polygraphers are the devil incarnate and he's gonna be out to get you! So show up with your countermeasure book and fight back at THE MAN. 
     I'm sure they'll want to debate this and I could care less. I'm telling you what I went through and if you lived your life with a good code of ethics, I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #8 - Mar 16th, 2002 at 3:19pm
fifazip,

Duc748 wrote:

Quote:
I'm not gonna bother debating with George on any issues here...

Are the questions I raised above frivolous and unworthy of answers? If you agree with me that they are not frivolous, then why do you suppose Duc748 is unwilling to address them?

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

User

Reply #9 - Mar 17th, 2002 at 8:50am
Quote:
Are the questions I raised above frivolous and unworthy of answers?

Yes, in the context of this thread.

Quote:
If you agree with me that they are not frivolous, then why do you suppose Duc748 is unwilling to address them?

I'm unwilling to address them, because what's the point here? Fifa hasn't asked about probable-lie control questions, relevant questions, or any questions for that matter. He/She is more curious about the overall process. 

Fifa, my recommendation to you, is to ignore what you read here on this site and do what you know is right. Good luck.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #10 - Mar 17th, 2002 at 11:20am
Duc748,

Fifazip is trying to figure out whether your polygrapher "was completely honest with you about this whole process." Far from being frivolous, the questions that I raised will help thinking readers to draw a rational conclusion regarding this point.

Your unwillingness to address these questions and your know-nothing suggestion to "ignore what you read here on this site" may tell readers something about your own thought process, but it tells them nothing about "Control" Question "Test" polygraphy (used by the FBI in pre-employment screening) and its inherent trickery.

« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2002 at 12:44pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

New User

Reply #11 - Mar 17th, 2002 at 5:22pm
Thank you for answering my questions Duc.  Did the polygrapher think it odd that you did some research before you test?  I have read on other threads that this will cause a red flag to go up and set up suspicion right from the start.  I want to be honest with the polygrapher, but will telling them that I am looking into this effect how they view me?

thanks again,
fifazip

oh yeah, was your 2 mile run inside or outside?

IP Logged

User

Reply #12 - Mar 18th, 2002 at 6:36pm
Quote:
Thank you for answering my questions Duc.  Did the polygrapher think it odd that you did some research before you test?  I have read on other threads that this will cause a red flag to go up and set up suspicion right from the start.  I want to be honest with the polygrapher, but will telling them that I am looking into this effect how they view me?

The polygrapher made mention of the fact that there are sites (like this one) out on the web, and that I may have read up on polygrapher, but not to use the countermeasures; Because if you are suspected of using them, you are automatically DQ'd. I had nothing to hide, so didn't bother. I passed. That was as far as the discussion went. I see no reason to say that you have or have not read this stuff on the internet.

What you have to remember about this site, is that these guys are personally biased against polygraphy. They will give you the gloom and doom speech and make you "feel" that the only way to pass the polygraph is to "use countermeasures". Call it what they will, they're still trying to cheat the system. I say ignore them and do what you know is right. 

Quote:
oh yeah, was your 2 mile run inside or outside?

Outside, on a 1/4 mile track. They said to run on a track from now on to get used to it, since that's what you run on at Quantico.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fred F.
Very Senior User

Get Educated.... Knowledge
is Power

Reply #13 - Mar 19th, 2002 at 6:00am
Quote:
What you have to remember about this site, is that these guys are personally
          biased against polygraphy. They will give you the gloom and doom speech and
          make you "feel" that the only way to pass the polygraph is to "use
          countermeasures". Call it what they will, they're still trying to cheat the system. I
          say ignore them and do what you know is right.

Duc748,

You obviously have some deep resentment for what this site stands for. 

There are NO "gloom and doom' speechs delivered on this site. The mission of this site is to present information that can help people be successful in a polygraph examination. 

No one on this websites makes you "feel" like you have to employ countermeasures to pass a polygraph. The decision to use countermeasures is left up to the individual. 

Polygraph is NOT "science", it is a fraudulent presentation that attempts to convince examinees that the polygraph is all knowing and that any "deceptive" statements will cause changes in your vital signs and that these recorded changes are HIGHLY ACCURATE and can't be manipulated by any countermeasures.

A majority of the people on this site are honest, hard working individuals. The polygraph cost many of us a chance at a career that we worked hard to obtain. You read the personal statements of Mark Mallah. Captain Jones, Brad Balfour, and False +. These are real people who saw their integrity challenged and records blemished becuase of a "pseudoscience". 

You also may remember Aldrich Ames, He PASSED his polygraph and was CONVICTED of being a spy. Duc748, this man was LYING and still PASSED his polygraph. Wen Ho Lee PASSED more than one polygraph and was found DECEPTIVE regardless. Dr. Drew Richardson and Dr. Sheila Reed, who are both top polygraph experts have publicy challenged the efficacy and usefulness of polygraphy testing. 

While you passed yours, many who seek this site out have not. You have seen my credo, Knowledge is Power, Educate Yourself, this site provides EDUCATION to those facing a polygraph "test". This site provides an education into polygraphy. This site gives an overview of what occurs during the "exam", how the polygrapher needs to instill fear and create stress so that they can have a false sense of "control" and manipulate examinees into thinking that polygraphy is all knowing and seldom is wrong. You seem to think that this site promotes "cheating the system", I couldn't disagree more. This site gives people options and an opportunity to be successful in a polygraph. As I said at the top of this post, If someone chooses to use countermeasures, it is their personal decision, not this websites. 

Fred F. Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box jrjr2

Reply #14 - Apr 18th, 2002 at 1:07pm
I failed my FBI polygraph exam two days ago. I am not resentful because I went in with my eyes open well aware of the failings of the polygraph but, I am extremely crestfallen and disappointed  because this is all I have ever wanted  to do and now .....
I want to say that my previous experience with polygraphs ( I built one as a child) and what I read here gave me the misguided confidence in my ability to pass without employing any countermeasures, that was a mistake. I unlike the person that began this thread was able to recognize the relevant questions and the control questions but as I stated earlier I chose not to strengthen my responses.  I guess I should have prefaced this by saying I have never  done an illegal drug nor have I facilitated the sale or transport of drugs. Also, I am not nor have I ever been a member of a group working toward the overthrow of my country. These were the categories tested. 
As expected I was boxed in on the control questions and in my opinion I still felt no stress in answering the questions put to me. The examiner albeit friendly, did attempt to deceive me about the importance of the control questions and at the end he would not tell me whether I passed but he did lead me to believe that I had with the statement
"Hopefully we will be able to work together in the future." 
As I said before I am not bitter about my experience because throughout the process I was treated with respect and courtesy and I can't fault the polygrapher for doing his job.
Duc748, no offense, seems to lack objectivity or rather wears the proverbial rose-covered glasses. That was not an attempt to cast an aspersion but, he strikes me as the type of individual who would say that if the polygraph found me to be deceptive in all of those categories (which for anyone who knows me finds this laughable) then there must be something to it.
P.S. In regard to the physical fittness test my recruiter told me it was only a mile and a half with a time requirement  between eleven minutes and thirty seconds and twelve minutes and forty seconds, anything over eleven thirty would require that you repeat the run once more before your class date to make sure you were still within acceptable parameters. I have verified this with my cousin who is an agent supervisor. I was scheduled to take it on friday, perhaps the requirements changed. Now at Quantico it is a two mile course.  Cry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
FBI TESTING - What's involved

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X