Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22 ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Polygraph Countermeasure Challenge (Read 365968 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nonombre
Especially Senior User

Re: Polygraph Countermeasure Challenge
Reply #195 - Sep 2nd, 2005 at 9:23pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Sergeant1107 wrote on Sep 2nd, 2005 at 8:45pm:

Nonombre,

I would be interested to listen to your explanation of that opinion.  How exactly is providing information on the way a polygraph is conducted in any way similar to placing a deadly weapon in a public place?

Providing information is not wrong or irresponsible, and certainly not akin to leaving a dangerous weapon unattended.   

I am still of the opinion that putting any faith in a supposedly scientific test that can be “beaten” after reading a couple of pages on the Internet is the truly irresponsible act.  If the polygraph relies on examinee ignorance in order to function, wouldn’t that suggest a problem with the polygraph itself rather than a problem with anyone who provides information to enlighten the ignorant?

Sergeant,

You are certainly entitled to feel that way.  However, to have the testicular fortitude to place controversial information on the Internet and then absolve yourself of any responsibility by saying it is only for the use of "honest people," is either the height of stupidity or the epitome of pure arrogance.  I am not sure which.

No, on second thought, I’m pretty sure.  It is stupidity.  I mean the Anti-polygraph.com administrator ACTUALLY told somebody who planned to use this material to successfully lie, "...The purpose of this website is not to help liars (like you) (my emphasis) to gain positions of trust for which they are not qualified, but rather to help truthful persons...

“Rather to help truthful persons...???!!

What did the administrator think?  Did he actually believe the bad guy would lean back from his computer, scratch his head, and say, "Well, since I am a liar, I better not download any of this material, because it's meant for honest people, and I am a lying schmuck."

Maybe the administrator believes by making that weak, mealy-mouthed caveat, he absolved himself or Antipolygraph.org of criminal or civil responsibility, should this information fell into the "wrong hands."  BTW, he is wrong there too.  There is lots of legal precedent that substantiates you are responsible for what you write, no matter what disclaimer you use.

I mean, you have to admit, that whole exchange was pretty laughable... Grin

Nonombre

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jeffery
Very Senior User

Reply #196 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 12:14am
nonombre wrote on Sep 2nd, 2005 at 9:23pm:

Sergeant,

You are certainly entitled to feel that way.  However, to have the testicular fortitude to place controversial information on the Internet and then absolve yourself of any responsibility by saying it is only for the use of "honest people," is either the height of stupidity or the epitome of pure arrogance.  I am not sure which.

Nonombre-
I still can't understand your hostility to the information made available on this site.  Your opposition to it only adds to its credibility.
Quote:

No, on second thought, I’m pretty sure.  It is stupidity.  I mean the Anti-polygraph.com administrator ACTUALLY told somebody who planned to use this material to successfully lie, "...The purpose of this website is not to help liars (like you) (my emphasis) to gain positions of trust for which they are not qualified, but rather to help truthful persons...

Innocent until proven guilty.  The example you cite was of a person unworthy of assistance.  Once he disclosed that, no direct assistance was provided.  If he gains by information freely found on this site, that is not the fault nor problem of this site, but rather society's reliance on junk-science polygraphy.
Quote:

Absolutely.  Of course, that is another topic for debate, but surely you agree that many agencies abuse screening polygraph victims.
Quote:

What did the administrator think?  Did he actually believe the bad guy would lean back from his computer, scratch his head, and say, "Well, since I am a liar, I better not download any of this material, because it's meant for honest people, and I am a lying schmuck."

Maybe the administrator believes by making that weak, mealy-mouthed caveat, he absolved himself or Antipolygraph.org of criminal or civil responsibility, should this information fell into the "wrong hands."  BTW, he is wrong there too.  There is lots of legal precedent that substantiates you are responsible for what you write, no matter what disclaimer you use.

Yeah.  So what?  On what legal basis can the disclosure of factual, truthful information cuase one to be held liable???  C'mon; you're a lawman.  Enlighten us.  The information on this site was obtained through either FOIA requests, libraries or newspaers etc.  What law gives ANY institution standing to bring claim agains that information disclosure???  Name one.  I dare you.

Would it be bad if a criminal beat a polygraph with info on this site?  Sure.  But I'd lay blame at the system that put too much faith in polygraphy; not the site that exposed the fraud.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #197 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 12:15am
nonombre wrote on Sep 2nd, 2005 at 9:23pm:
Sergeant,

You are certainly entitled to feel that way.  However, to have the testicular fortitude to place controversial information on the Internet and then absolve yourself of any responsibility by saying it is only for the use of "honest people," is either the height of stupidity or the epitome of pure arrogance.  I am not sure which.

No, on second thought, I’m pretty sure.  It is stupidity.  I mean the Anti-polygraph.com administrator ACTUALLY told somebody who planned to use this material to successfully lie, "...The purpose of this website is not to help liars (like you) (my emphasis) to gain positions of trust for which they are not qualified, but rather to help truthful persons...

What did the administrator think?  Did he actually believe the bad guy would lean back from his computer, scratch his head, and say, "Well, since I am a liar, I better not download any of this material, because it's meant for honest people, and I am a lying schmuck."

No one is maintaining that the information provided on AntiPolygraph.org will only be used by honest people. The point in the administrator's reply to  icotto56 (which I posted) is that the purpose of this site is not to help liars obtain positions of trust for which they are not qualified. While it is self-evident that the information on AntiPolygraph.org is available for anyone to download and read, persons who obviously intend to lie about relevant issues should not expect to have their questions answered.

Quote:
Maybe the administrator believes by making that weak, mealy-mouthed caveat, he absolved himself or Antipolygraph.org of criminal or civil responsibility, should this information fell into the "wrong hands."  BTW, he is wrong there too.  There is lots of legal precedent that substantiates you are responsible for what you write, no matter what disclaimer you use.

What law(s) do you think I or anyone else associated with AntiPolygraph.org may have broken by telling the truth about polygraphs?

As for the ethical considerations involved in making such information public, see my article, "A Response to Paul M. Menges Regarding the Ethical Considerations of Providing Polygraph Countermeasures to the Public."

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box uiop
New User

Reply #198 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 4:48am
Gotta side against George and Gino and whomever else is officially associated with this message board.  I would predict that it is a matter of time until this site is sued for the information provided.  What laws have been broken?  Well, I am not a Barrister, so I decline to comment on something I am without expertise on (Wish others would step out of the polygraph arguement for their ignorance as well).  But I am fairly well read and educated and it is a well substantiated matter of fact that one can be sued in the United States for just about anything.  Gun makers, Big tobacco, hot coffee, spoon bending psychics who sue James Randi for proving they are frauds ........the list is endless.  so agree or disagree with Mr. Menges or Mr. Maschke, I think it's clear, wether the greater good is served by this site or not, a lawsuit is in the future.   

George, I think the debate regarding the use of polygraph for screning is a welcome one.  I fully defend your right to say anything you want.  But don't be so simple that you think you are above a lawsuit by the parent of a pedophile who attempted countermeasures and used your book to do it.  My advice, set up a legal defense fund.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jeffery
Very Senior User

Reply #199 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 6:38am
uiop wrote on Sep 3rd, 2005 at 4:48am:
Gotta side against George and Gino and whomever else is officially associated with this message board.  I would predict that it is a matter of time until this site is sued for the information provided.  What laws have been broken?  Well, I am not a Barrister, so I decline to comment on something I am without expertise on (Wish others would step out of the polygraph arguement for their ignorance as well).  But I am fairly well read and educated and it is a well substantiated matter of fact that one can be sued in the United States for just about anything.  Gun makers, Big tobacco, hot coffee, spoon bending psychics who sue James Randi for proving they are frauds ........the list is endless.  so agree or disagree with Mr. Menges or Mr. Maschke, I think it's clear, wether the greater good is served by this site or not, a lawsuit is in the future.  

George, I think the debate regarding the use of polygraph for screning is a welcome one.  I fully defend your right to say anything you want.  But don't be so simple that you think you are above a lawsuit by the parent of a pedophile who attempted countermeasures and used your book to do it.  My advice, set up a legal defense fund.    

Though much of what you state is arguably correct (anyone can be sued for just about any reason) with a halfway clueful lawyer, the lawsuit woud likely be dismissed by any competent court (and certainly any judgement overturned on appeal).

But I think a lawsuit would be a good thing.  If played right, it could force discovery on some very interesting documents.  I'd love the feds to give this cite credibility by trying to challenge it in court.  They'd be admitting that what was on this site was correct -- that the polygraph is a fraud and can be easily beaten!  I'd alomst consider that a measure of success for this site.   

Howeer, I think the suit would be better targeted against the city/state/federal agency that relied on a bogus "test" to let a suspect go without a proper investigation.

Should that day occur (that this site is sued) I'd suspect they could raise plenty of money (not to mention ACLU support) to generate the publicity they need to not only expose polygraphy as a fraud, but to defeat the suit.

Bottom line: the last thing the Pro Polygraph community wants is a "free speech" suit against this site, with all the publicity it will bring to this site and polygraphy.  Unless this suit is brought in a "secret court" I wouldn't expect it to happen.  If brought by a private party, I'd expect government efforts to discourgage it.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #200 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 4:40pm
Actually, it wouldn’t matter very much if a competent Judge overturned the suit or not.  The point behind many such lawsuits is to bleed one side out of funds and therefore “Win”.  It’s not a matter of law, it’s a matter of achieving a goal.  Research the many suits launched by the church of Scientology and you will see my point.   

Lawsuits considering polygraph occur all the time.  After all, despite opinions to the contrary, polygraph results and testimony are used in New Mexico routinely and in other venues provided the prosecution and defense agree.  I also agree a lawsuit would be great, as part of the discovery process would include the backgrounds of George Maschke and Dr. Richardson.  I personally can’t wait.   

As for your statement that the polygraph can be easily beaten, I’ll place an understanding that you in fact mean screening polygraphs, not other tests which are statistically valid.  Although I debate your assertion on the previous matter “the easily part”.   

If any agency has allowed a Suspect go without proper investigation, I agree they need to be sued and brought to justice.  But in reality, how often, if ever, has this occurred?   

I don’t speak for anyone in the “polygraph community”.  But most of those that I have met have no problem with a fair assessment of the technique and a furtherance of the field.  I consider many polygraphers as close friends and have seen them work well after 15 hours to provide victims with the satisfaction they deserve.  Many of my cases which were exhausted after investigation failed to produce any additional leads were successfully resolved by a dedicated polygrapher.    

Your reference to a secret court is an interesting one.   

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #201 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 5:13pm
It seems odd to me that no one is mentioning a lawsuit against the Office of Technology assessment or the National Academy of Sciences, both of which tested the polygraph and concluded that it is no better than random chance in non-specific issue testing.

So, let’s see…  Testing the polygraph and determining it is no better than chance in some cases, and significantly less than 100% accurate in other cases is acceptable.  That won’t get you sued, because that’s not irresponsible, right?

But creating a web site where the results of those tests are posted for all to see is irresponsible?  Or perhaps posting a web site where individuals with bad polygraph experiences post their stories for all to see is the irresponsible part?  Or posting documents which are available to anyone in the country under FOIA?  Is that the irresponsible part?

Maybe it is the continuous refusal of people affiliated with this site to give specific advice on the message board to people who want to lie about their background or a crime they’ve commited?  No, that doesn’t sound irresponsible to me.

I think it is tragically ironic that instead of admitting that polygraphs are worse than worthless for non-specific issue testing, people are instead putting their energies into censoring the currently available information about them.

The APA should definitely change its motto to: “Dedicated to Truth about YOU, not us.”

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous ętes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #202 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 5:27pm
Jeffery wrote on Sep 3rd, 2005 at 6:38am:
...the polygraph...can be easily beaten!

Jeff,

I realize that the above mantra is one of the favorites of the people on this site.  I also know that I for one have caught a number of examinees trying to use the methods taught here and elsewhere trying to "beat the box."  They have all lost in the end.

However, I would like to pursue this topic down a slightly different road if I may:

After many years as an investigator, I have determined that:

1.  Urinalysis screening can be "easily beaten" by the consumption of any number of altering substances, or the use of certain "cleansing techniques."

2.  Handwriting exemplars can be "easily beaten" by the application of certain techniques when generating the questioned document and when ordered to provide the exemplar.

3.  Rapists are now applying condoms prior to the rape to "beat" the application of DNA examination.

4.  Pistols have been seized from gang members in which the barrels have had the identifying lands and grooves (characteristics) removed.  Therefore "easily beating" the application of ballistics examination.

5. And of course, gloves are standard issue to any burglar trying to "easily beat" the utilization of fingerprint examination.

Now what would you say, if there were a Website out there that provided detailed instructions in each of these areas (and others)?

What if their mantra was something like "The government has no right to make you submit to these draconian measures in order to "railroad innocent people" into prison? 

What if they qualified their rhetoric with statements like "This site is only meant for the innocent?  We know that guilty people will use our methods too, but that is okay, because our "intent" is that only the innocent should use our measures."

What would you say?

What would you say to the mom who has just lost her child to a rapist who used the methods you provided to escape detection/prosecution?

What would you say?

Regards,

Nonombre Undecided

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #203 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 5:56pm
Nonombre,

It would be entirely consistent with your stated logic to hold glove makers accountable if someone uses their product to avoid leaving fingerprints at a crime scene.  Even though the glove manufacturer intended for those gloves to be used to protect someone’s hands, the fact that they could easily be used to avoid identification at a crime scene would make the glove manufacturer responsible.  Does that make any sense?

Part of the challenge in living in a society with continuous technological and informational advances is having to do our job despite the easy availability of information and gadgets which make our job more difficult.

If someone commits a crime and has learned how to avoid leaving DNA, or how to avoid leaving tool marks, or how to avoid leaving fingerprints, what difference does that make?  It is still our job to collect evidence, establish probable cause, and arrest them.  Would it make our job easier if none of that information existed?  Sure, be that’s not something that we can control.  

The government and law enforcement cannot attempt to control the dissemination of information.  If you start down that road where will you logically stop?

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous ętes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #204 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 6:27pm
Sergeant1107 wrote on Sep 3rd, 2005 at 5:56pm:
Nonombre,

It would be entirely consistent with your stated logic to hold glove makers accountable if someone uses their product to avoid leaving fingerprints at a crime scene.  Even though the glove manufacturer intended for those gloves to be used to protect someone’s hands, the fact that they could easily be used to avoid identification at a crime scene would make the glove manufacturer responsible.  Does that make any sense?

Ah, but Sergeant, I would have absolutely no argument with the glove manufacturer.  My argument would be with the website that advised the would be burglar on exactly which type of glove to buy, which material would be the best is order to provide the most mobility and yet still avoid detection.

I would be against the site that taught the best crime scenes in which to wear the gloves and how to dispose of the gloves in such a fashion as to assure that the police never found them.

And I would be against the site that justified its actions by claiming it was performing some sort of "public service."

Now I do stipulate that things do change and as you imply we have to stay one step ahead.  We have to accept that the bad guys are at least as interested in avoiding detection as we are in making sure they don't get away.

However, I do maintain that we all have to accept responsibility for what we say and do.  If I was to operate a web site that taught how to make explosives and someone used my information to kill his neighbor, then I should be held civilly and/or criminally liable.

Regards,

Nonombre      

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #205 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 6:51pm
Nonombre

I'm at a loss at comprehending the statements of you and other polygraphers.

In one breath all of you say you can catch 100% of all who use countermeasures. In the second breath you condem this site for providing information that allows criminals to beat the polygraph. If you can catch countermeasures, then what is your problem with this site? The information provided here is useless.

uiop

What Federal Statue or section thereof could a lawsuit be brought? Also, under what jurisdiction? Federal court is the ONLY venue here but, what jurisdiction?

I would contribute heavily to the defense if the other side had the funds to fade a multi-million dollar countersuit. Hell, I would contribute heavily if they didn't. I don't think a federal judge would accept an action against free speach.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #206 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 7:31pm
to Quote
It seems odd to me that no one is mentioning a lawsuit against the Office of Technology assessment or the National Academy of Sciences, both of which tested the polygraph and concluded that it is no better than random chance in non-specific issue testing. 

Well, Sergeant, have you read either document?  Are you familiar with the research and the lack of research that went into these studies?  The bias that effected the "outcome"  I submit you read and research both and then allow an open minded critique of both items you cited.  Unlike the allegations often lodged on this cite, I am completely open to any and all well thought out criticism of any technique available to law enforcement.  I have read both documents and for some reason, I seem to feel differently about the "results".  I was disappointed that the Academy did not take ALL available studies and information and disregarded the findings of several agencies in the process of preparing their document.   

To quote...
What Federal Statue or section thereof could a lawsuit be brought? Also, under what jurisdiction? Federal court is the ONLY venue here but, what jurisdiction? 

Please reread my posting where I clearly stated I am not an attorney and will not discuss matters beyond my expertise.  I satted, and will state again that the day is coming when I feel this site will be under some legal recourse.  Free speech?  Hmmm.  I think Nonombre makes a lot of sense.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #207 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 8:09pm
I have to say that I simply don’t understand these responses.

This site is not encouraging anyone to break the law.  This site is not providing any classified material to anyone.  This site is not advocating that people lie.

It is the opinion of the people who created this site that the polygraph requires examinees to be ignorant of the “testing” procedure.  This site provides information on the "testing" procedure, which they believe will make it more difficult to fool people into believing the polygraph will detect their lies.

It is also the opinion of the people who created this site that augmenting specific mental and physical reactions during specific parts of the “testing” procedure will not be detected and will help prevent the examinee from being labeled as deceptive.  Information on how and when to use such countermeasures is therefore available on this site.

This site makes reference to studies by the OTA and the NAS which concluded that polygraph testing was not as accurate as it was claimed to be.  This site also provides the opportunity for people who feel they have unfairly “failed” a polygraph to tell their side of the story.

Polygraph supporters have continuously argued that examinee knowledge of the “testing” process is not a factor in determining the accuracy of the polygraph.  It logically follows that they can’t be upset that such knowledge is available here.

Polygraph supporters have also argued continuously and vehemently that countermeasures are easily detectable and don’t work anyway.  It logically follows that they can’t be upset about countermeasure information being available on this site.

Polygraph supporters have also argued that the OTA and NAS studies were biased and inaccurate, and that polygraphs actually have an accurate rate of 80%, 90%, or even higher.  Logically they can’t be upset about a web site that refers to such studies when they believe those studies were biased and inaccurate to begin with.  I also don’t see how they could be upset about personal accounts by people who feel they were unfairly treated.

Again, I just don’t understand their responses.  What are they so upset about?  Why are they threatening lawsuits and making denigrating comments about the site creators’ lack of personal responsibility?  
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2005 at 8:39pm by Sergeant1107 »  

IP Logged

New User

Reply #208 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 9:18pm
Sergeant wrote......"Again, I just don’t understand their responses.  What are they so upset about?  Why are they threatening lawsuits and making denigrating comments about the site creators’ lack of personal responsibility?"

Well, I guess you don't understand because you are not making an arguement in response to any criticism.  I could say just as easily...If polygraph isn't accurate, then why need countermeasures?  If polygraphers are fat, lazy cavemen, why need countermeasures?   

I strongly suggest that ths site will stand a lawsuit.  I have never threatened to bring one.  Quote where I have done so.   

Nonombre and Dark Cobra, who are apparantly polygraphers, make some very interesting points.  Why not argue the points?   

Use of countermeasures, if detected will place the innocent practitioner in a position of looking guilty.    I have personally witnessed someone who was caught and admitted to the use of countermeasures lose out on an opportunity.  Everyone who enters the federal hiring process has his/her case looked at by an adjudicator, who makes reccommendations. 

People who don't use drugs don't buy cleansing agents to defeat drug tests.   Such is my arguement against countermeasures.  Before you go there, I know, I know.  Polygraph is innaccurate and countermeasures are necessary to give a "truthful chart".  Well, since the two agencies I took my polygraphs with used the R/I technique I lack the knowledge to understand what benefit use of countermeasures would have been.   

regards,.. 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #209 - Sep 4th, 2005 at 7:10pm
uiop

As I asked nonombre, if countermeasures are so easily detected, what is the problem you have with this site? As yet no response from nonombre. Also, who would spend the time and money to sue a website that lists useless information. I thick this picture needs much more clarification like what you think is sueable in this website. Could it be that polygraphers KNOW that catching countermeasure is pure chance and are using scare tactics to future examinees?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Polygraph Countermeasure Challenge

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X