Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25 ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Texas sex offender & mandatory polygraph (Read 321663 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box vrt1956
New User

Re: Texas sex offender & mandatory polygraph
Reply #60 - Feb 18th, 2007 at 2:03am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Just a quick comment. Most probation officers will punish offenders that have an inconclusive result from their polygraph. It usually will be anything from phone curfew to house restriction until the inconclusive result is cleared up.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box palerider
Ex Member

Reply #61 - Feb 20th, 2007 at 6:04pm
I'm a new user--and a polygraph Examiner. I have been a casual observer to his site for years. There are several consistant themes in this "post conviction" post--and that is denial. In the thousands of tests on SO's I've admisistered, I have regrettably seen and heard so many of these distortions, minimizing, and whining. I have a degree of respect for George's conviction---hell, the man is tenacious, intelligent, and has good intentions---but I sure wish posters could spend some time monitoring large caseloads of sex offenders. This is serious work--regardless of your pre-concieved notions of polygraph. The fact of the matter is polygraph works when in the right hands. I'm not the type of Examiner who will wholeheartedly defend fellow Examiners---as I am aware of some real crappy ones out there. At the risk of bringing the full wrath of this site down upon this lone Examiner, I will here and now say that If you are a sex offender on parole/probation, you had better hope that you don't get a talented Examiner. Your countermeasures will appear sophmoric, and your behavior will be scrutinized.----If your reading this message while on no-contact-with-internet stips---get off now--stay the hell away from children --innocent contact or otherwise(you temporarily lost that priveledge.) I would respect George M. more readily if he didn't invite sex offenders---they're people too--but they have more important things to do than linger around this site. Incidently, the whole sexual misconduct issues--18yr old having sex with a 14yr old issue is a concern--but soooo overplayed. As far as polygraph being right wing (my term)--that's bullshit. I'm as right wing as George Clooney. If a sitting president will lie about a mere blow-job, a person with few resources and on the run will lie about much more regarding sexual risk to community. Polygraph isn't god, but it works fantastically to assess risk in the clinical setting Undecided.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box digithead
Very Senior User

Reply #62 - Feb 21st, 2007 at 2:46am
palerider wrote on Feb 20th, 2007 at 6:04pm:
I'm a new user--and a polygraph Examiner. I have been a casual observer to his site for years. There are several consistant themes in this "post conviction" post--and that is denial. In the thousands of tests on SO's I've admisistered, I have regrettably seen and heard so many of these distortions, minimizing, and whining. I have a degree of respect for George's conviction---hell, the man is tenacious, intelligent, and has good intentions---but I sure wish posters could spend some time monitoring large caseloads of sex offenders. This is serious work--regardless of your pre-concieved notions of polygraph. The fact of the matter is polygraph works when in the right hands. I'm not the type of Examiner who will wholeheartedly defend fellow Examiners---as I am aware of some real crappy ones out there. At the risk of bringing the full wrath of this site down upon this lone Examiner, I will here and now say that If you are a sex offender on parole/probation, you had better hope that you don't get a talented Examiner. Your countermeasures will appear sophmoric, and your behavior will be scrutinized.----If your reading this message while on no-contact-with-internet stips---get off now--stay the hell away from children --innocent contact or otherwise(you temporarily lost that priveledge.) I would respect George M. more readily if he didn't invite sex offenders---they're people too--but they have more important things to do than linger around this site. Incidently, the whole sexual misconduct issues--18yr old having sex with a 14yr old issue is a concern--but soooo overplayed. As far as polygraph being right wing (my term)--that's bullshit. I'm as right wing as George Clooney. If a sitting president will lie about a mere blow-job, a person with few resources and on the run will lie about much more regarding sexual risk to community. Polygraph isn't god, but it works fantastically to assess risk in the clinical setting Undecided.

The CQT polygraph is just as dangerous a tool to rely on for screening/monitoring sex offenders for compliance as it is for screening/monitoring employees for espionage...

One, the polygraph has no scientific validity. Two, it's false positive and false negative rates are affected by the base rate of lying. With employees, you'll get high false positives. With sex offenders, you'll get high false negatives (e.g., the Joseph Duncans). Third, the only usefulness of the polygraph is to extract confessions from the gullible. It is merely a prop...

And you're not the only polygrapher to use the special pleading that "in the right hands, the polygraph is useful." The fact is even if this were true, you have no way of defining what "the right hands" look like. Does this mean polygraphers who can get suspects to confess? Or have low false positive rates? Or low false negative rates? Or have all of their cases result in clearance and/or conviction?

Finally, with sex offenders there is habituation/sensitization to the polygraph. Even if the polygraph had any accuracy or validity, serial use of it such as quarterly exams would diminish its accuracy and its utility to the point it no longer would work...

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #63 - Feb 21st, 2007 at 7:35am
Lovely. It seems another person who is crying science is spouting claims which have absolutely no repeated basis in scientific fact. Where did you get your "false negative propensity on SO testing " blather? As far as false positives on applicant screening--where are your figures coming from? Walter Reed? Who establishes ground truth for those research projects? The pickle with lie detection research accuracy is always in establishing truth? Are you establishing your claims on the Academy of Sciences study? Are you thinking that lying about a mock crime in a lab by volunteer students who some of which are statistically likely to have committed a felonious crime within days of the project--are a reliable source for polygraph research. By the way, that sort of research setting is the classic sceptical approach to polygraph research---and of course, the results are typical.
As far as the countermeasure balony on this site---it is tantamount to spitting in a urine sample. Can the tester accurately diagnose drug use--probably not. The results will likely be inconclusive. Was the urine test administrater beaten? Please. The best countermeasure against a polygraph is to not take it.  Have any of you self-proclaimed countermeasure gurus actually seen George's (and others')countermeasures on a polygraph chart? It is like comparing a rain-made hole in the ground to a crisply dug grave. I was in a seminar with some other Examiners and we were viewing various charts on the overhead and a countermeasure chart came up unannounced and the group erupted into laughter. The presenter didn't have to announce the type of chart, we all knew what we were looking at. The problem with the countermeasures wasn't that they were bad countermeasures--they were pretty good--it's that it was a chart where a call of inconclusive was the result. For all the calls of "foul" and "pseudo-science" on this site---your countermeasures are tantamount to spitting in a urine sample. Talk about unsophisticated---take a look in the mirror.
Habituation by repeated testing? Yes, if the Examinee is completely indifferent to the test--I will be a little concerned. This is extrememly rare.

Why do so many posters on this site believe that Examiners want to fail people on their test?

Punishment for inconclusives by probation officers? Sounds like a jerk probation officer to me---unless the Examiner stated that he strongly suspected countermeasures.

Like ANY profession, there are hacks. Ask George if he has ran into some piss-poor translators in his profession who have jeopardized peoples lives and/or careers. sigh. yah sara

If telling the truth is called "gullable", than I am gullable. If I'm asked a question I don't like---I say piss off. It never ceases to amaze me why so many people want to get into law enforcement and or federal work and incessantly complain about the infringement of their rights. When you entered the workforce, did you want a BOSS, or a COMMANDER (IN CHIEF)? If it's the latter, than prepare to be bitch slapped--be it by polygraph or otherwise. 
I do not represent the polygraph community---just myself.

« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2007 at 8:03am by palerider »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box digithead
Very Senior User

Reply #64 - Feb 21st, 2007 at 9:16am
palerider wrote on Feb 21st, 2007 at 7:35am:
Lovely. It seems another person who is crying science is spouting claims which have absolutely no repeated basis in scientific fact. Where did you get your "false negative propensity on SO testing " blather? As far as false positives on applicant screening--where are your figures coming from? Walter Reed? Who establishes ground truth for those research projects? The pickle with lie detection research accuracy is always in establishing truth? Are you establishing your claims on the Academy of Sciences study? Are you thinking that lying about a mock crime in a lab by volunteer students who some of which are statistically likely to have committed a felonious crime within days of the project--are a reliable source for polygraph research. By the way, that sort of research setting is the classic sceptical approach to polygraph research---and of course, the results are typical.
As far as the countermeasure balony on this site---it is tantamount to spitting in a urine sample. Can the tester accurately diagnose drug use--probably not. The results will likely be inconclusive. Was the urine test administrater beaten? Please. The best countermeasure against a polygraph is to not take it.  Have any of you self-proclaimed countermeasure gurus actually seen George's (and others')countermeasures on a polygraph chart? It is like comparing a rain-made hole in the ground to a crisply dug grave. I was in a seminar with some other Examiners and we were viewing various charts on the overhead and a countermeasure chart came up unannounced and the group erupted into laughter. The presenter didn't have to announce the type of chart, we all knew what we were looking at. The problem with the countermeasures wasn't that they were bad countermeasures--they were pretty good--it's that it was a chart where a call of inconclusive was the result. For all the calls of "foul" and "pseudo-science" on this site---your countermeasures are tantamount to spitting in a urine sample. Talk about unsophisticated---take a look in the mirror.
Habituation by repeated testing? Yes, if the Examinee is completely indifferent to the test--I will be a little concerned. This is extrememly rare.

Why do so many posters on this site believe that Examiners want to fail people on their test?

Punishment for inconclusives by probation officers? Sounds like a jerk probation officer to me---unless the Examiner stated that he strongly suspected countermeasures.

Like ANY profession, there are hacks. Ask George if he has ran into some piss-poor translators in his profession who have jeopardized peoples lives and/or careers. sigh. yah sara

If telling the truth is called "gullable", than I am gullable. If I'm asked a question I don't like---I say piss off. It never ceases to amaze me why so many people want to get into law enforcement and or federal work and incessantly complain about the infringement of their rights. When you entered the workforce, did you want a BOSS, or a COMMANDER (IN CHIEF)? If it's the latter, than prepare to be bitch slapped--be it by polygraph or otherwise. 
I do not represent the polygraph community---just myself.

Sigh, you've strung together so many non sequitors, dangling participles, ad hominems, and stream-of-consciousness statements that it's impossible to understand your post. Given your background, I'll guess that you've probably never heard of Date's Incoherence Principle. It basically states that it is impossible to treat incoherence coherently. Therefore I'm not even going to try as it would be an exercise in futility...

At least LBCB could write coherently...

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #65 - Feb 21st, 2007 at 5:21pm
Upon having a second look at my post, I must agree that there are some grammitical errors. I'm sorry that you are unable to address any of the pulp in that post. I suppose you are writing that you require having one single point presented to you in order to parrot the "the use of polygraph is a fraudulant.........." statement which is typical of the antipolygraph m.o. of "begging the point." Certainly you are aware of the faulty debate tactic of "begging the question" and "begging the point." It appears to be the theme song for this sight.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 1904
Ex Member

Reply #66 - Jul 5th, 2007 at 4:13pm
palerider wrote on Feb 21st, 2007 at 5:21pm:
Upon having a second look at my post, I must agree that there are some grammitical errors. I'm sorry that you are unable to address any of the pulp in that post. I suppose you are writing that you require having one single point presented to you in order to parrot the "the use of polygraph is a fraudulant.........." statement which is typical of the antipolygraph m.o. of "begging the point." Certainly you are aware of the faulty debate tactic of "begging the question" and "begging the point." It appears to be the theme song for this sight.

Oh Pale One. Your posts are a site for sore eyes. Grimmatically speaking of course.
I have formed a mental picture of you. It's not nice.

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #67 - Jul 6th, 2007 at 3:24am
I don't need a mental picture of you----as I've seen you before. I've got two words for you '04. 

Hair Plugs.

Also, based on your overwhelming flood of posts since joining the frey, I think you might need a hobby that doesn't involve textbook projection. I'll settle for my rushed and casual web-grammer over what amounts to be your style of embarrassing and even clinically serious displays of aggression. I think it was the last 90 or so comments in the last 3 weeks that have me worried. You are hilarious until you take that extra drink. And like the bimbo dancing on the table, you believe you hear cheers. sigh

p.s. Your keen forensic mind  Tongue has failed you as I am not a "surfer dude." As for comments in previous posts about your "natural" gifts and abilities in deception detection --------------------pure bison shit.  Wink

peace........on you

« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2007 at 3:53am by palerider »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 1904
Ex Member

Reply #68 - Jul 6th, 2007 at 1:39pm
palerider wrote on Jul 6th, 2007 at 3:24am:
I don't need a mental picture of you----as I've seen you before. I've got two words for you '04. 

Hair Plugs.

Also, based on your overwhelming flood of posts since joining the frey, I think you might need a hobby that doesn't involve textbook projection. I'll settle for my rushed and casual web-grammer over what amounts to be your style of embarrassing and even clinically serious displays of aggression. I think it was the last 90 or so comments in the last 3 weeks that have me worried. You are hilarious until you take that extra drink. And like the bimbo dancing on the table, you believe you hear cheers. sigh

p.s. Your keen forensic mind  Tongue has failed you as I am not a "surfer dude." As for comments in previous posts about your "natural" gifts and abilities in deception detection --------------------pure bison shit.  Wink
peace........on you

At Last. Lured from it's lair, the beast bares it's fangs. I was so looking forward to your riposte.
Thank you. You make this all so worthwhile. But,,,
PS1 - You alluded to yourself as a surfer.
PS2 - Did I say I was gifted? (No)
PS3 - I have an exceptionally full head of hair, all original. Must have been a looking glass.
PS4 - I Dont touch alcohol. Neither should you apparently.

I wish I had a real photo of you and not this image of a circus chimp on a Shetland pony.
The words Mental Midget also spring to mind.

As an aside, you have to admit that there is not 1 word of aggression in this post of mine and note that I have not taken the peace out of you iro your grammer or spellink.
So be fair and beware. I have friends in the middle of the earth.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Reply #69 - Jul 16th, 2007 at 4:13pm
Quote:
In the thousands of tests on SO's I've admisistered, I have regrettably seen and heard so many of these distortions, minimizing, and whining.

No doubt you're one of those who believes that sex offenders have a near-100% reoffense rate, right? So what are the results of your "thousands" of exams? Would have to be either thousands of offenders returned to prison after admitting their latest crimes to you, or returned for failing the exam. Or will you say that "well, maybe they haven't yet but they WILL" Roll Eyes
Quote:
If you are a sex offender on parole/probation, you had better hope that you don't get a talented Examiner.

LOL. What's a "talented" examiner? One that lies better than the offender?
Quote:
If your reading this message while on no-contact-with-internet stips---get off now

I posted often on this board while on probation with such a restriction. Never got caught by DOC or the polygraph. Guess my PO was stupid and the examiner wasn't "talented"?
Quote:
I would respect George M. more readily if he didn't invite sex offenders

Hell, I'd respect George more if he didn't invite examiners. Makes us even I guess.
Quote:
but they have more important things to do than linger around this site.

And you don't? Sure I have other things to do. And I do them. Don't get by here as often as I used to because I'm too busy working so that people like you have to find an honest way to make a living Grin
Quote:
Polygraph isn't god, but it works fantastically to assess risk in the clinical setting

Risk assessment is about future behavior. Last I heard the poly sucked at telling you what I might have done last week, and here you are saying it not only does that but tells you what I'm going to do next year? I really have been out of touch I guess. Had no idea it had progressed to that level of sophistication.

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box biodad

Reply #70 - Jan 6th, 2011 at 3:37am
You can debate the man or the machine as far as polygraphs or polygraphers go and get or go nowhere.
The law that started this mess is what is wrong.
As Texans we allowed our lesislature to make a law that is in direct conflict with the Constitution.
The government shall not force its citizens to purchase any service or product.
It is as simple as that.
Now, what are you going to do about it?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box LLPantsOnFire

Reply #71 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 3:57am
I was given a polygraph test post-conviction and failed miserably. I spent 3+ hours with the polygrapher going over Trial testimony, Police reports, and my version of "what happened". I brought a series of questions I wanted asked by the polygrapher based directly on the testimony of the "victim".  I did my research and formulated the questions in a Yes/No format which I believed was best suited for the test. I spoke to the polygrapher days before the exam to inform him there were questions I wanted asked and that he could ask whatever he wanted of me. When I arrived for the scheduled exam he had not prepared a single question for the test (or so he claimed) and he explained that any "good polygrapher" would not prepare questions in advance and that they would wait to confer with the person being examined to "formulate the questions together". His reasoning was that he wanted to hear my side of the story and that he only had the "victims statement" to draw questions from. I explained to him that It didn't matter what I had to say, the conviction was based on the "victims" testimony and that I would have expected him to be prepared (as I was). He insisted that he hear my side of the alleged events to get a more balanced view and to formulate the questions more accurately. As I stated earlier this took over 3 hours and what it boiled down to was a series of 10 questions which a monkey could have compiled in a matter of minutes including "What's your name?...and...Did you ever put your thingy in the victim". Apparently it took him 3 hours of re-hashing the entire Trial testimony to formulate these questions. My questions were more specific which would have covered this issue along with the details in which the "victim" lied...but it was explained that my questions were "Judicial questions" and not "Polygraph questions". Again, these questions were in simple Yes/No format...but he simply wanted nothing to do with them. As it turned out I failed with a -10. He explained the scoring method as follows...-15 to -4 is Deceptive...-3 to +3 is inconclusive...+4 to +15 is truthful. He reviewed the questions with me and showed me the score for each individual question and my highest score was a +2 (and there was only one of those)...everything else was lower. Keep in mind that each question was asked 3 times. Also keep in mind that, as I stated earlier, one of the questions was MY NAME! Based on this scoring I apparently even lied about my own name? I couldn't even score a +4 (which is only the begining of the truthful range) ON MY OWN NAME? 

I've realized over the years that Law enforcement has absolutely no interest in the truth in these types of cases. Their only interest is in securing a conviction. By Hook or by Crook...the end always justifies the means. Until we deal with the TRUTH in these cases we will never be able to differentiate good cases from bad. We will continue with useless legislation and "feel good" laws that are not only ineffective but downright dangerous.

When will we as a Nation say...enough is enough? 

When we're all on the registry?   Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Reply #72 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 10:37am
LLPantsOnFire

Your research must not have included a visit to this site or you would know that only relevant questions are scored for truth/deception.  Of course, you wanted to answer questions about what some one else said instead of what you did.  Is your main complaint your polygraph result, which by the way you never said was wrong, or the "feel good" laws that prohibit the behavior you were convicted for?   
Just for the record, how old was the lying "victim" that you didn't put your thingy in?

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box stefano
Ex Member

Reply #73 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 7:16pm
pailryder wrote on Feb 4th, 2011 at 10:37am:
Just for the record, how old was the lying "victim" that you didn't put your thingy in? 

Just can't break that urge to extract confessions?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Reply #74 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 7:53pm
stefano

Truth be told, I do love a good confession.  You might be surprized just how young some of these lying "victims" are these days!

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Texas sex offender & mandatory polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X